Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volcanoes and their influence on our climate

Options
  • 16-10-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭

Scientists have shown before that volcanic eruptions lead to the cooling of the global climate with two notable eruptions in particular doing so, Mount Pinatubo of 1991 and Mount Tambora of 1815. However, what I've not found is their influence on specifically Ireland's climate and what they could mean for our weather. As a result, I have taken liberty into researching this topic.

I am currently in the works of calculating the IMTs - Irish Mean Temperatures - which is basically the Irish version of the Central England Temperature (CET), back to when Irish weather started being recorded. Hopefully, by 2019, I complete all the calculations of these - which take a long time to do so and are extremely tedious. Once I do, I'll be able to compare months'/seasons' temperature anomalies following volcanic eruptions in history such as those mentioned - though I highly doubt, I'll be able to calculate IMTs back to 1815 for Mount Tambora :P.

Focus per OP:
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    In my original post, I should have stated how volcanic eruptions affect the climate exactly across the globe.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi sryanbruen. Our Researcher forum sometimes acts as a clearinghouse for the Science, Health & Environment category. Your research project is both interesting and ambitious. We are currently in the process of revitalising Geography, and your ongoing research of this topic would fit nicely in that forum; consequently, I am transferring it to Geography. I will also alert a couple folks I know who are interested in volcanoes and their global impacts on the global environment. Best, Black Swan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Krakatoa's August 26, 1883 eruption near Indonesia. Released 11 cubic miles of ash into the atmosphere.
    All of the volcanic debris from Krakatoa’s eruption caused fiery red sunsets around the world up to three years afterward. Poet Gerard Manley Hopkins, who lived in London, described the Krakatoa sunsets as “more like inflamed flesh than the lucid reds of ordinary sunsets; the glow is intense; that is what strikes everyone; it has prolonged the daylight, and optically changed the season; it bathes the whole sky, it is mistaken for the reflection of a great fire.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The laki eruption of 1783 in Iceland had significant effects on europe, including Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

dogmatix wrote: »
    The laki eruption of 1783 in Iceland had significant effects on europe, including Ireland.

Care to find any Irish weather statistics for 1783? :D:P Lol but thanks, I never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Surprising that – I thought the 1783 Laki eruption was very well known among the volcano community. Even I had heard of it and i'm no geologist.

You could try “The Effects of the 1783 Laki Fissure Eruption on the Weather in Ireland in 1783 and 1784” by Rachel Hammond (1999) – but this book appears to be very rare. Could not find it on Amazon.co.uk.

Also the following article discusses volcanic impacts on Ireland from the 400’s to the 1600’s – it is a bit technical and tough (for my level) but could be interesting. http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024035.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Eruptions vary. Low silica tend to flow. High silica may plug and explode. Atmospheric emissions should vary too. In like manner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Interesting topic, Sryan. Hope it goes well for you, I know you can do it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

On Laki, I read the book Island on Fire (kindle version)and found it very informative on the subject. Memorable were the effects it had on Iceland and how much hardships the locals underwent.

Kilauea volcano in Hawaii. Continues to erupt. Low silica content. Flows. maxresdefault.jpg

Nova Killer Volcanoes vid. Investigates elusive volcanic mega-eruption. Medieval 750 years ago. Affected global weather. Plunged earth into deep freeze. Ice core samples reveal chemical composition by age. Greenland and Antarctica samples analyzed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The coincidence of major volcanic eruptions around the world with periods of unusually cold weather in Ireland has been the focus of academic research Sryanbruen.

Using a combination of Irish Annalistic sources and sulphate deposition in Greenland ice-cores , Ludlow et al have reconstructed the history of cold events in Ireland from c.431-1649 CE

See
    Ludlow et al, 2013 Medieval Irish chronicles reveal persistent volcanic forcing of severe winter cold events, 431–1649 CE, Environmental Research Letters, vol. 8, No 2

You can access the paper here - it’s open source
    http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024035

You might also consult the following (I’ve provided links where possible. Some journals you can access free of charge, others you may have to ask for help from your teachers or from researchers here, some are books your local library may be able to source for you)

Briffa K R, Jones P D, Schweingruber F H and Osborn T J 1998 Influence of volcanic eruptions on Northern Hemisphere summer temperature over the past 600 years Nature 393 450–5

Dukes M and Eden P 1997 ‘Phew! What a scorcher’: weather records and extremes Climates of the British Isles: Present, Past and Future ed M Hulme and E Barrow (London: Routledge) pp 262–95

Fischer E M et al 2007 European climate response to tropical volcanic eruptions over the last half millennium Geophys. Res. Lett. 34 L05707

Galvin S D, Hickey K R and Potito A P 2011 Identifying volcanic signals in Irish temperature observations since 1800 Ir. Geography 44 97–110

HICKEY, K. 2011. The historic record of cold spells in Ireland. Irish Geography, 44, 303-321.

Robock A 2000 Volcanic eruptions and climate Rev. Geophys. 38 191–219

Schneider L 2017 A new archive of large volcanic events over the past millennium derived from reconstructed summer temperatures
    Environmental Research Letters, Volume 12, Number 9

Sweeney J 1997 Ireland Regional Climates of the British Isles ed J Mayes and D Wheeler (London: Routledge) pp 254–75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Dr. Stephen Galvin’s thesis on The Impact of Volcanic Eruptions on the Climate and Ecology of Ireland since A.D. 1800 might also be useful for your research, Sryanbruen, even though your proposal involves different data sets.

His research focus on the extent to which five large-scale low-latitude volcanic eruptions and six lesser Iceland-based events have had on the climate and ecology of Ireland over the past 200 years. He uses archival climate data (primarily from Armagh Observatory) and dendroecological and chronological evidence.

It’s available to download from NUI Galway HERE

I appreciate all the help guys (especially to Lumi above). All of your help will be acknowledged in this project.

During the course of this project, I have noticed that there hasn't been a "major" volcanic eruption since 1997. Like sure, the Iceland volcano of 2010 was quite significant but the effects of that was more localised than globally impacted rather.

It's always been said by people including some of my weather enthusiast friends, that a Winter has a high chance of being cold following a volcanic eruption like in 1815/16 or 2010/11. Since 1997, there's been very few cold Winters and a lot of them have been mild. Could this have been associated with the lack of major volcanic eruptions in the past two decades? Just a random thought I came across.

Somebody showed me this interesting chart to do with solar activity, volcanic aerosols found in ice sheets, Summer maximums and Winter minimums using the CET:

qeYdFgi.png

I cannot remember the exact book, but the late Stephen J. Gould in one his collection of science essays wrote of the effect of solar activity on climate. The Maunder Minimum cycle from from 1640s A.D. onwards. There is a recent history book, focusing on the impact on this on society ("Global Crisis" by Parker) which is on my to buy list.

See Peter Brannen (2017), The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions.

Looks like we really don't know all that much, at least according to today's slashdot: https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/11/13/0429249/new-study-suggests-we-dont-understand-supervolcanoes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

USGS Volcano Hazards Program is a grand source of information.

Volcano Observatory Notices for Aviation (VONA).

S. Solomon, et al (2011) in The Persistently Variable “Background” Stratospheric Aerosol Layer and Global Climate Change, Science, Vol 333, Issue 6044, concluded: "Several independent data sets show that stratospheric aerosols have increased in abundance since 2000." Such aerosol conditions, which they suggested were variable rather than constant, "even in the absence of major volcanic eruptions," may affect global warming prediction models.

• Advertisement

Low silicon. Non-explosive. Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii. Would this volcano have a lesser impact on weather than the high silicon explosive type? 91933-004-DAEEF82A.jpg

Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupting dense ash cloud. Ice2010_2053.JPG What atmospheric effects are associated with volcanic paths of plumes and ash distributions? _47686161_forecast_21st_1229_4663.gif

Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center: Volcanoes, Climate Change, Landscape Dynamics.

European Volcano Observatory Space Services. "EVOSS is centered on the development of advanced data processing techniques that monitor ash, gas, ground deformation and temperature."

Current Volcanic Warnings Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

Fathom wrote: »
    Low silicon. Non-explosive. Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii. Would this volcano have a lesser impact on weather than the high silicon explosive type?

91933-004-DAEEF82A.jpg

Aerosols and particulate matter from large explosive eruptions are what have the biggest influence on climate. The Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI - https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/glossary/vei.html) is used to categorise events - a rule of thumb would be that those ranked at least 5 on the scale have the potential to cause a change in weather patterns.

Also, and probably more importantly, the height of the eruption column is key. A large volcanic eruption, where the material ejected stays in the lower atmosphere (troposphere) will have little impact beyond the surrounding area (this includes Eyjafjallajökul) because the aerosols, dust, etc. are likely to fall back to ground level either as a result of gravity or being incorporated into drops of rain.

However, eruption columns that extend into the stratosphere (~15-20 km in elevation, depending on where you are in the world) will find it easier to remain suspended there as there as clouds do not form at this elevation so they're far less likely to fall back down to ground level in raindrops.

Air movement in the troposphere then allows the volcanic matter to be spread throughout the planet, where it can remain for months or even years. If the eruption is large enough (like Tambora) then there can be enough material suspended in the atmosphere to change the albedo of the planet; here, the amount of incoming solar radiation is reduced as it is reflected back into space.

The bottom line is that it is the aerosols in volcanic clouds that are the principal influencers on climate.

Tarjh wrote: »
    However, eruption columns that extend into the stratosphere (~15-20 km in elevation, depending on where you are in the world) will find it easier to remain suspended there as there as clouds do not form at this elevation so they're far less likely to fall back down to ground level in raindrops.
    09EEEtoba_eruption.jpg

Many volcanoes concentrated in Pacific Ring of Fire. 28481.jpg

Tarjh wrote: »
    Aerosols and particulate matter from large explosive eruptions are what have the biggest influence on climate.
    img3273_400w_307h.png

• Advertisement

Interesting read: Susan Solomon, et al, Contributions of Stratospheric Water Vapor to Decadal Changes in the Rate of Global Warming, Science, 5 Mar 2010, Vol. 327, Issue 5970, pp. 1219-1223.

Advertisement