Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

It really baffles me that anyone would willingly cripple their options to create a better team. The rest of the world fights really dirty when it comes to grabbing the best talent.

Also, surely the five year rule should be based off when a player makes their professional debut instead of residency. This will surely lead to a mass grab of kids; a large quantity of whom will not make the grade and will end up abandoned in a foreign country instead. Chances at a better education notwithstanding.

Sephiral wrote: »

Also, surely the five year rule should be based off when a player makes their professional debut instead of residency. This will surely lead to a mass grab of kids; a large quantity of whom will not make the grade and will end up abandoned in a foreign country instead. Chances at a better education notwithstanding.

NZ and France would never ever agree for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/other-rugby/article36298421.ece

Former international rugby referee David McHugh resolves High Court case with IRFU
    Odd one

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Australia much less so. Rake of players in their squad from NZ and the islands. Far more foreign born players than the other two currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

awec wrote: »
    Aki is not Irish,

Was Isaac Boss Irish? Was Tom Court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Samoan PM has declared their rugby union bankrupt. They have asked the RFU for a 150k match fee from the 10m the game will generate.

WR needs to address this on a wider scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Samoan PM has declared their rugby union bankrupt. They have asked the RFU for a 150k match fee from the 10m the game will generate.

Yeah I was discussing this elsewhere. WR should either suggest guidelines on how match fees should be split, introduce some degree of revenue sharing, or else ensure that tier 1 nations are travelling to play tests in tier 2/3 nations more regularly.

Is the Samoan PM still the head of the Samoan Rugby Union?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Is the Samoan PM still the head of the Samoan Rugby Union?

Not sure, thought that was Fiji that had political interference

Its wrong though that NZ can demand 3mil for playing England at twickenham while samoa players get £650 a man match fee when the RFU generate 10mil per home AI.

Not sure, thought that was Fiji that had political interference

Its wrong though that NZ can demand 3mil for playing England at twickenham while samoa players get £650 a man match fee when the RFU generate 10mil per home AI.

Yeah Fiji has political/military coup issues when it comes to their RU. Samoa's is very corrupt.

I have no issue with NZ demanding 3mil to play England but I agree that Samoa should be getting a bigger slice of the pie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Murrayfield is sold out for Saturday's game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Natwest will be sponsoring the 6 nations this year. The fact that this is a one year deal leads me to believe they didn't get anywhere near the money they were after, hopefully it doesn't affect the IRFU(and the provinces as a knock on) too badly.

http://www.sixnationsrugby.com/titlesponsor#JLQ2XbbYqJgeBsO1.97

EDIT: Oops, misunderstood. Apparently RBS owns Natwest, has extended for a year and has rebranded under the natwest name.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Natwest will be sponsoring the 6 nations this year. The fact that this is a one year deal leads me to believe they didn't get anywhere near the money they were after, hopefully it doesn't affect the IRFU(and the provinces as a knock on) too badly.

EDIT: Oops, misunderstood. Apparently RBS owns Natwest, has extended for a year and has rebranded under the natwest name.

Yeah, RBS are Natwest.

RBS didn't extend their sponsorship, the 6 Nations were unable to find anyone else, they went back to RBS at a reduced rate, and so they gave it to the Natwest which is not a great sign really I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The brass in Ulster Bank will heave a mighty sigh of relief. They still get their annual corporate junkets and p*ss ups.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

According to my

RBS offered to extend their sponsorship at an increase to the current rate for five years.

Wales and Scotland demanded that the offer be rejected.

6 nations followed the will of Wales and Scotland.

6 nations failed to get a better sponsor and asked if the RBS deal was still on the table.

RBS said no but offered a cut value one year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6P8gYd6xtQ

Incredible viewing, please watch it. Puts things into perspective.

Also a small cameo by Scott Fardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Behind a paywall for me.

Copy the link address.

Go to google.ie and paste it into the search bar (not the address/search bar in your browser).

It'll come up in the search results and you'll be able to access it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Behind a paywall for me. Is it the all blacks Vs kangaroos hyybrid union Vs league 50/50 match

https://twitter.com/TheKiwiOracle/status/928547499463323648

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s an odd one because the NatWest name is only used in England and Wales (Ulster Bank did originally use the NatWest symbol in its logo but changed to the RBS one over a decade ago). Really they get less benefit out of the sponsorship this way, but possibly reflective of the reduced amount.

Incidentally it appears that a similar scenario occurred with PRL and Aviva, with the latter agreeing a one year extension at the last minute.

icdg wrote: »
    It’s an odd one because the NatWest name is only used in England and Wales (Ulster Bank did originally use the NatWest symbol in its logo but changed to the RBS one over a decade ago). Really they get less benefit out of the sponsorship this way, but possibly reflective of the reduced amount.

Incidentally it appears that a similar scenario occurred with PRL and Aviva, with the latter agreeing a one year extension at the last minute.

Natwests biggest market is in england. Biggest viewing figures for 6n are in england. Thats the logic apparently

Indo are claiming RoG is off to the crusaders

Cant link from phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Indo are claiming RoG is off to the crusaders

Cant link from phone

Wow, fair play ROG!

molloyjh wrote: »
    Wow, fair play ROG!

Dan Carter pulling a jobs for the boys routine methinks. ;)

What's the link between ROG and Crusaders/Robertson. Have they any history? Or just ROG's agent doing some digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dan getting ROG to warm up the seat for him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

_89672720_dan_carter_ronan_o%27gara_getty.jpg

"C'mere Dan, you need to be standing about 10 metres deeper, and would ya ever ping it into the corners a bit more boy, and your goal-kicking, sure you're doing it all wrong altogether, here, hold my clipboard til I show ya how it's don-"

"Great news ROG, I got you a job in New Zealand"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Polota-Nau to Leicester confirmed. Missed that yesterday.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement