Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Conor Murray currently Ireland's best player?

• 09-11-2017 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

He's nailed on for province and country and a Lions starter.

I cant think of a team he wouldn't pick up the 9 shirt at.

They are the reasons I believe, he's Ireland's current best player. Agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

snowflaker wrote: »
    He's nailed on for province and country and a Lions starter.

I cant think of a team he wouldn't pick up the 9 shirt at.

They are the reasons I believe, he's Ireland's current best player. Agree?

Sexton is. The drop off at 10 is bigger then the drop off at 9 without Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Sexton is. The drop off at 10 is bigger then the drop off at 9 without Jackson.

Would that not be most important? I mean best, rugby wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Furlong?

He's not as good a tight head as Furlong imo.

Sexton is our best and most important player right now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yes, he is.

Sexton is our best and most important player right now.

Do you wear Johnny Sexton PJ's too?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hes Irelands best 9 that's for sure.

Do you were Johnny Sexton PJ's too?

Sexton wears Burkie1203 PJs ;)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hes Irelands best 9 that's for sure.

Talk about going out on a limb! :pac:

• Advertisement

Sexton wears Burkie1203 PJs ;)

I hope you washed them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Very difficult to say pick a best player on a rugby team, the positions don’t really compare.

Is he Ireland’s best number 9? Yes.

Is he Ireland’s best hooker? No.

Importance to the team is a better measure and I think Sexton wins out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

John Hayes.

/close thread

John Hayes.

/close thread

Are you Joe Schmidt? He's not v current.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you took a straw poll of other coaches and asked which Irish player they wished they could steal I think it'd be between Murray and Furlong. They're very good players in very tricky positions.

However our best player is Sexton. He gives me more confidence than any other. When Sexton is there we are gonna be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are you Joe Schmidt? He's not v current.

ernie.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

From a peer status of position, yes I would argue he is Irelands best player.

Of all of the players in Ireland who can be considered "World Class" Murray stands above his peers better than Sexton or Furlong or SOB I think.

But Sexton is still a mighty fine player

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's too hard to measure over positions. How do you define 'best'?

It doesn't really matter anyway. He's an outstanding 9 but we beat England last year without him, which is a very positive indication that the sky doesn't in fact fall in without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Slot of opinions may change tomorrow when Bundee gets a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Our world class players are Furlong, SOB, Murray and Sexton. Definition of World Class is that they would come into a discussion about who the best in their position globally is.

With that in mind, Sexton is both our best player and our most irreplacable player. He is the best fly half in the world for me, though B. Barrett is probably a better rugby player, if I'm allowed that distinction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Sephiral wrote: »
    Our world class players are Furlong, SOB, Murray and Sexton. Definition of World Class is that they would come into a discussion about who the best in their position globally is.

With that in mind, Sexton is both our best player and our most irreplacable player. He is the best fly half in the world for me, though B. Barrett is probably a better rugby player, if I'm allowed that distinction.
    The great advantage of having these players is how they can set the standard for the younger guys and help them get there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sephiral wrote: »

There's definitely an argument that we have the best half-back pairing in world rugby. I wouldn't swap them for anyone, but then I don't see as much of Aaron Smith and Beauden Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

He barely registered in the recent Leinster match in lansdowne road. Was well into the match before I noticed him do anything, and if I remember correctly that was something negative rather than positive. And all that said, I genuinely like him, think he's a great player, but wouldn't say he's the best. Johnny maybe, furlong maybe, omahoney maybe, seanie coming back to great form too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,794 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not an easy debate to have in rugby, position v position, seen v unseen influence, injury profile v run of form etc.

Murray is joint best 9 in the world I think and Sexton would be high in the mix for best 10, but in the same way O'Driscoll was so special for being the talent of a generation in his position, I think Ireland's best player is Sean O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Furlong for me.
    Never had a player like him, always impresses.
    Special.
    The others are world class, but Furlong is a world best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Furlong for me.
    Never had a player like him, always impresses.
    Special.
    The others are world class, but Furlong is a world best.

World's best? No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

IF we have a world's best in any position, it's Conor Murray IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Smith/Genia/Murray the top 3 scrum halves at the minute. Genia in great form but doesn't have the consistency of the other two. Murray a different sort of player to the others. Scrum half is a far more subjective area due to freedom of style than say tight head. I can't see any tight head in the world better than Furlong currently

Murray to me is world no.1. He has more variety to his game than the others and critically he executes his strengths to a very high level almost every time he plays.

Furlong to me is similarly unassailable as no.1 in his position. He has a high work rate, strong carrying, powerful scrumming and he is exceptional in defence and often has a top tackle count with the back rows. No one else does as much to a high standard.

I personally think that Sexton is also best in position. I only rate Barrett and Farrell alongside him and Barrett's inconsistency at the tee rules him out for me. I think Sexton is the better 10 than Farrell though Farrell may be the better overall player.

Sean O'Brien is the only other player in the conversation currently from Ireland. I personally think a fully fit Heaslip has an argument but O'Brien at his best is as good or better than any other back rows. That said I'd mark Seanie down for the same reason I would have historically marked Heaslip up - availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Murray suits Ireland's tactics and style. I have my doubts whether he would make the ABs squad as they want something different from their scrum half. I certainly believe Murray could adapt to that style but it would take some time. He is world class and one of the best around.

I can't think of any THs around that are better than Furlong. I think he is clearly the world's best. McGrath and Healy at their peak are in the conversation for best LH and SOB in form is one of the best 7s around.

Sexton, Barrett or Farrell. All three a world class. As a kiwi, I go with Barrett.

Advertisement