Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Conor Murray currently Ireland's best player?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

the question for me on who is the best player is which player if missing would result in the difference between winning and losing, for me that would have to be Sexton. I know it's hard to gauge the importance of the 2 but they are both pivotal positions and the step down to their replacements is on a par with Marmion and Carberry both are a significant drop in class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

typhoony wrote: »
    the question for me on who is the best player is which player if missing would result in the difference between winning and losing, for me that would have to be Sexton. I know it's hard to gauge the importance of the 2 but they are both pivotal positions and the step down to their replacements is on a par with Marmion and Carberry both are a significant drop in class

Sorry, you're answering a question not asked.
    The question was who is Ireland's best player (is that player Murray).
    The answer is Tadhg Furlong.
    No matter what people hype on about Murray, Sexton or O'Brien,
    Furlong is THE ONLY PLAYER WE HAVE that if you asked every other team in the world would they want him as their starting tight head they would ALL say yes.
    He has everything, raw brute force, incredible handling, mobility that no tight head should have, tackle counts like a backrower, stamina for 80 minutes if needed, can switch to loose head if required, and excellent attitude.
    Simply no other tight head in world rugby has all those attributes together at such a high level across the board.
    Any of the others mentioned would be up there among a world top 10 in their position.
    Furlong is THE BEST in his position without a doubt.
    Lastly, the most problematic position we have had through the years has never been either of our half backs, there are plenty of them, whatever about people wanting to despair at the 2nd and 3rd strings,
    But we don't have any tight heads that would dominate like Furlong.
    Mike Ross was asked recently who was the strongest player he ever faced and he said without a doubt it was the beast, and Furlong dominated him last week.
    That says it all for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

snowflaker wrote: »
    They are the reasons I believe, he's Ireland's current best player. Agree?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Mike Ross was asked recently who was the strongest player he ever faced and he said without a doubt it was the beast, and Furlong dominated him last week.
    That says it all for me.
    I don't disagree with what you're saying. In fact I agree with you fully. However, that last bit about the Beast is not necessarily true. A lot depends on the locks as to how the scrum goes.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I don't disagree with what you're saying. In fact I agree with you fully. However, that last bit about the Beast is not necessarily true. A lot depends on the locks as to how the scrum goes.

Eztebeth and Lood...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »

Don't forget the most important, handsome, charismatic and sound players on the field, the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Eztebeth and Lood...?
    Showboaters. :pac:

Iain Henderson is not impressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

typhoony wrote: »

You're conflating the difference between the best player and the most important player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think the difficulty of the position should also count. THs and 10s are usually the two highest paid positions in rugby, due to how difficult it is to get to the point when you can even do an average job in either.

(That we arguably have the best in the world at both positions is actually incredible for such a small playing population.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I don’t get it. Murray kicks way too much. He is a bit ponderous on the ball and still takes that extra step more than occasionally.
    He is tough and strong and defends well. He can spot brakes and takes them well. I would rate him on par with Rhys Webb.
    Ireland’s best players = Sexton, Furlong, O Brien, Henderson..
    Thornley is in love with Murray. And what Gerry says, goes...

• Advertisement
Advertisement