Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,573 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

http://m.bbc.com/sport/boxing/41899478

Seems a very bizarre situation!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    http://m.bbc.com/sport/boxing/41899478

Seems a very bizarre situation!
    That's crazy. The excuse is an amazing one as well. Wild boar…

That said, nothing proven and fighters who actually have been found of wrongdoing are back fighting much earlier. That isn't fair.
    Tyson unfortunately looks like he is a  long long long way off fighting again, if ever, and I have no faith that he will come back anything like his former self. It's a pity, I really liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭akelly02

Time to end the hype, wilder v aj confirmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

akelly02 wrote: »
    Time to end the hype, wilder v aj confirmed!

One of them Paddy Power December 31 confirms?

Speaking of P Power they have Joshua at 2/9 which is very short imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Speaking of P Power they have Joshua at 2/9 which is very short imo.

Wow....I never would have guessed that....that's a massive favorite all things considered....ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Bookies seeing it 80/20 on Joshua's favour or there abouts. Not really a surprise but definitely off. And you'd imagine that'll shorten as well if the fight is booked.

Burial. wrote: »
    Bookies seeing it 80/20 on Joshua's favour or there abouts. Not really a surprise but definitely off. And you'd imagine that'll shorten as well if the fight is booked.
    That is bookies this side of the world. Every World Cup England's odds are insane in England (we're a bit more realistic here). Still those odds are crazy in a two horse race with such KO % involved. At the moment I think that if they fought last weekend Wilder would have had more than Joshua. I thought for a long time that Joshua would have far, far too much for him but looking at that Takam fight he was very ordinary. Wilder has fought some serious rubbish and structurally been all over the place but to be fair none of them have been able to get to him. His jab has improved a lot and he's got decent speed. AJ is much heavier than he needs to be and will hardly trim that in such a short time frame. Is it confirmed for December? I'm shocked at that, leaves so little build up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

There's nothing confirmed at all lads. Hearn said they'll have talks this week and the fight be in 2018.
    Even if that's true it will be late 2018

Sounds a bit more like it. I'd  be surprised enough if it even happens in 2018 but the earliest I could envisage is August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wilder still telegraphs his overhand right way too much. He’s going to leave himself wide open to a counter against someone who can beat him to the punch like Joshua with a straight right. Still strongly favour Joshua.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Fury camp trying to get evidence excluded and using wild boar.... must have hired Fergie’s Lawyer

Ah they're total con men. Getting boring at this stage. Tyson should turn the camera off until he's going to get serious

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Ah they're total con men. Getting boring at this stage. Tyson should turn the camera off until he's going to get serious

In fairness what ukad are doing to him is totally unfair. According to Fury he never failed the drugs test just had elevated levels. How many times has povetkin tested positive and he's fighting next month.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

In fairness what ukad are doing to him is totally unfair. According to Fury he never failed the drugs test just had elevated levels. How many times has povetkin tested positive and he's fighting next month.

Are they not claiming he tested positive for Nandrolone?

He is claiming that. He was banned for refusing another test (re cocaine)

Its his camp that have delayed the hearing

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/tyson-fury-doping-ban-return-uk-hit-back-inaccurate-heavyweight-world-champion-a7957901.html

Are they not claiming he tested positive for Nandrolone?

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/928277725957316608

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He refused a test after the Klit fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The division as a whole is complete garbage Joshua is decent but not a patch on some of the guys in the 90s like Tyson, Bowe, Lewis, Holyfield ect. Wilder my god the man's a KO waiting to happen so wild and technically really lacking. Fury could probably have been the best of the lot if he got his arse in gear but that isn't ever happening imo. Ortiz should be banned for life same with Povetkin. Division is really grim right now possibly the weakest in boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The division as a whole is complete garbage Joshua is decent but not a patch on some of the guys in the 90s like Tyson, Bowe, Lewis, Holyfield ect. Wilder my god the man's a KO waiting to happen so wild and technically really lacking. Fury could probably have been the best of the lot if he got his arse in gear but that isn't ever happening imo. Ortiz should be banned for life same with Povetkin. Division is really grim right now possibly the weakest in boxing

I'd argue it's the best it's been in a long while right now. Or at least has the potential to be. The two klitchko's had basicslly zero credible opposition from the mid noughties on and thats a shame as great champs need great opposition. That for me was the dark era of hw boxing. Shannon Briggs, chisora, Tony Thompson, kevin johnson etc fighting for proper world titles? These were very bad years.

Now we've glimmers of hope and things might get competitive. Casuals are thinking that maybe just maybe the cliché baddest men on the planet are back. It doesn't really matter if they're flawed Joshua and wilder are still the type of heavies that capture the greater publics imagination.

Couple that with up and coming prospects like Dubois, credible challengers in the form of parker & maybe fury and potentially some big hard hitting skilful cruiserweights making the step up and imo the division could be about to breathe new life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'd argue it's the best it's been in a long while right now. Or at least has the potential to be. The two klitchko's had basicslly zero credible opposition from the mid noughties on and thats a shame as great champs need great opposition. That for me was the dark era of hw boxing. Shannon Briggs, chisora, Tony Thompson, kevin johnson etc fighting for proper world titles? These were very bad years.

Now we've glimmers of hope and things might get competitive. Casuals are thinking that maybe just maybe the cliché baddest men on the planet are back. It doesn't really matter if they're flawed Joshua and wilder are still the type of heavies that capture the greater publics imagination.

Couple that with up and coming prospects like Dubois, credible challengers in the form of parker & maybe fury and potentially some big hard hitting skilful cruiserweights making the step up and imo the division could be about to breathe new life.
    Not that the HW divison was amazing in the Klitschko era but honestly the standard of fighters isn't any better now then it was then, in fact its probably even worse

Guys like Wilder, Parker, Pulev, Whyte, Miller, Takam ect would all be irrelevant in the vast majority of past era's, yet now all those guys are actual top 10 in the division with Wilder and Parker top 5, We've seen how limited Parker actually is and Wilder not much better in what other division in boxing right now are guys of that quality clear top 5 at the weight?

The division is awful Joshua can count himself lucky he has arrived in this era because i'm damn sure he would never beat a prime Holyfield, Bowe, Lennox, Tyson even a David Tua would maybe beat him. Joshua is about the level of Frank Bruno, very good but never great and certainly flawed, Bruno was a contender in his era who eventually won a belt but he was never really the elite of the division in 2017 he would be.

pac_man wrote: »
    Directly after it? I remember seeing a video of him not wanting to drink any water in case it was spiked.

No a few days when they called to his home

Not that the HW divison was amazing in the Klitschko era but honestly the standard of fighters isn't any better now then it was then, in fact its probably even worse

Guys like Wilder, Parker, Pulev, Whyte, Miller, Takam ect would all be irrelevant in the vast majority of past era's, yet now all those guys are actual top 10 in the division with Wilder and Parker top 5, We've seen how limited Parker actually is and Wilder not much better in what other division in boxing right now are guys of that quality clear top 5 at the weight?

I'd agree with some of this but I'm seeing now at this moment somewhat of a turning point. And I'd be inclined to lump the likes of pulev, povetkin, Ortiz, wach, etc into that klitchko era. An era which is hopefully over. While still ranked these guys are close to irrelevant truth be told.

Parker hasn't really been exposed yet, he will be but as of now right this minute he's credible opposition. tbh I've seen feck all of Miller but it'll be interesting to see how he performs this weekend can't say I see a whole pile of success coming his way in the future.

Young Dubois coming of age would be a great addition and fury returning in shape would make things interesting from a new challenge perspective. Then it's really down to what cruisers make the jump or what other up and coming prospects rear their heads.

Honnestly though I really do think the sooner we're shut of the noughties hangers on the better things will be.

The Late 80's and all the 90's was a very good era so using that for comparison is a touch harsh really perhaps we'll get to those talent levels again eventually it'll certainly take time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Ustinov Vs Charr tonight for the WBA 'Regular' Belt tonight.
    How Charr can get a Shot after being Sparked bt a Cruiserweight (Breidis) is Beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Expecting Ustinov to win by decision in an ugly fight.

Expecting Ustinov to win by decision in an ugly fight.

Ustinov looks like a Giant Vladimir Putin.

Ridiculous that Charr can win a 'World Title' after this

Briedis_Charr.gif

Ustinov is totally useless. Stiff and no power. Like a mini version of Valuev

Rd10 consisting of charr literally doing laps of the ring for a minute and a half before ustinov finally grabbed ahold of him and playfully slapped him a couple of times with the palm of his glove was the point at which my will to continue watching faded.

Rd10 consisting of charr literally doing laps of the ring for a minute and a half before ustinov finally grabbed ahold of him and playfully slapped him a couple of times with the palm of his glove was the point at which my will to continue watching faded.

I reckon a 30 stone Fury would still play with Charr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I think that fight tonight exemplified just how meaningless these "regular" belts are...

It can confuse the more casual boxing fan but a real boxing fan knows that's only a sanctioning fee belt...no more no less.

It was fairly dire stuff.

Advertisement