Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCA/Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

It's 3 laps of the course in 3.54 or less. Make a mistake though and you have to complete that obstacle before going back to redo it again so a couple of mistakes can add a fair amount of time. Then, without a break, you have to do 20 secs on the push pull machine. Plus there is no clock and you're not allowed to time yourself so you have no idea if you passed until you leave the premises and open your results. Maximum effort for 4 minutes and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Pecks123

for those who hasn't social media I thought id download and upload this video, a little insight to what lies ahead if whoever gets that far.
    https://youtu.be/bx2aUhmdUYs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Buddy id advise you take that post down or edit the link out as when you go onto YouTube your name is posted as the channel name.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

It is 3 laps of the obstacle course, once you finish the last obstacle you revert back to obstacle number one for the start of the next lap, I am almost sure that is how it is

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chase1

Lockie101 wrote: »
    It is 3 laps of the obstacle course, once you finish the last obstacle you revert back to obstacle number one for the start of the next lap, I am almost sure that is how it is

I've never done it myself but that's what I've gathered from the videos and the discussions on here. Once you finish lap 3 it's straight to the push/pull test, but this part has no bearing on whether you pass or fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Lockie101 wrote: »
    3 laps of the course as shown in the youtube video. Once you complete the last obstacle which is the bag drag you run around the court back to the start of the course. You do this 3 times and then straight onto the push/pull machine

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

anybody else weirdly excited and nervous at the same time about the pca?what is the timescales for medical if you pass test?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

anybody else weirdly excited and nervous at the same time about the pca?what is the timescales for medical if you pass test?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chucky1011

Can’t wait to get it over lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Ok, my fitness has stalled, cold weather has me wanting to stuff up and hibernate. What do people do to motivate themselves in the cold mornings or evenings when all you want to do is get wrapped up inna big blanket infront of the TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MayDupname

Do you think the recruits you're competing with for a spot at GV aren't out in the cold and rain busting their lungs?

When they're standing in front of their friends and family in the parade square, uniforms on, proud as punch, ready to graduate. Where are you going to be?

Bit cold out there for you princess? Don't worry about it, get you back under your warm blanket. Sure you didn't really want it that much anyway.

Or get the **** out there and make sure you're family's looking at you in that parade square standing to attention beside your squad mates.

Your choice, but I know where I'd rather be.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

MayDupname wrote: »
    Do you think the recruits you're competing with for a spot at GV aren't out in the cold and rain busting their lungs?

When they're standing in front of their friends and family in the parade square, uniforms on, proud as punch, ready to graduate. Where are you going to be?

Bit cold out there for you princess? Don't worry about it, get you back under your warm blanket. Sure you didn't really want it that much anyway.

Or get the **** out there and make sure you're family's looking at you in that parade square standing to attention beside your squad mates.

This. Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Ok, my fitness has stalled, cold weather has me wanting to stuff up and hibernate. What do people do to motivate themselves in the cold mornings or evenings when all you want to do is get wrapped up inna big blanket infront of the TV?

Gyms aren't cold. Pure gym is 24hr

Spin classes if you lack personal motivation

If you are more of a solitary person and don't like the gym, swim...

MayDupname wrote: »

The stick approach, I actually like that.

You dont even have to leave your house to train. If you have kids, use them as weights(safely lol) or make it a competition with them see who can do most push ups, sit ups jumping jacks etc in a set time.
    Alot of you have mentioned a want to be a dog handler so I'm guessing yous already have dogs. Turn their walks into light runs. Hold them infront of you and squat with their weight, once again dogs will think it's a big game like kids do, chase the dogs up and down the stairs and see how quick your heart rate gets pumping.

Water weighs 1g per 1ml so a 2l milk jug filled with water is an instant 2kg dumbbell.

Remember we arnt having to train for long distance, we are needing to train at high intensity for 5 mins. Even if you do 3 hard 5min sessions with at max 5 mins rest between that's only half an hour.

NiK9 wrote: »

You dont even have to leave your house to train. If you have kids, use them as weights(safely lol) or make it a competition with them see who can do most push ups, sit ups jumping jacks etc in a set time.
    Alot of you have mentioned a want to be a dog handler so I'm guessing yous already have dogs. Turn their walks into light runs. Hold them infront of you and squat with their weight, once again dogs will think it's a big game like kids do, chase the dogs up and down the stairs and see how quick your heart rate gets pumping.

Water weighs 1g per 1ml so a 2l milk jug filled with water is an instant 2kg dumbbell.

Remember we arnt having to train for long distance, we are needing to train at high intensity for 5 mins. Even if you do 3 hard 5min sessions with at max 5 mins rest between that's only half an hour.

Funny enough, the little kick up the butt by Maydupname got me out the door with the dog, he is a lap dog and isn’t used to jogging so decided to throw up. Must remember in future to leave him at home haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

I have been just going to the gym doing light to medium sprints for 5 -10 minutes then going on the rowing machine for another 5-10 minutes to maximise cardio and stamina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OllieA3

Hi, I know it’s been covered previously in this thread, but how strict is the BMI cut off point? I know it states a BMI of 30 and lower as being acceptable. Is there any up to date information from anyone in the 1509 intake? Thanks in advance.

OllieA3 wrote: »
    Hi, I know it’s been covered previously in this thread, but how strict is the BMI cut off point? I know it states a BMI of 30 and lower as being acceptable. Is there any up to date information from anyone in the 1509 intake? Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't worry too much about BMI. It's a terrible way to judge people anyway. Unless you are really really bad it shouldn't effect you since you have passed fitness. It may effect your insurance inside police though you may not be covered for certain things. Look at page 26 of the guidance. There is 3 types of medically fit that people can be placed in and 1 medically unfit.

BMI is a terrible way to do body calibrations these days a guy who trains in my gym is classed as morbidly obese if going by bmi. BUT he is body builder who is only 5"3 and sits around 15% body fat all year round.
    Even the military uses height-weight-waist ratio instead of bmi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OllieA3

Wouldn't worry too much about BMI. It's a terrible way to judge people anyway. Unless you are really really bad it shouldn't effect you since you have passed fitness. It may effect your insurance inside police though you may not be covered for certain things. Look at page 26 of the guidance. There is 3 types of medically fit that people can be placed in and 1 medically unfit.

BMI is a terrible way to do body calibrations these days a guy who trains in my gym is classed as morbidly obese if going by bmi. BUT he is body builder who is only 5"3 and sits around 15% body fat all year round.

Thanks for the reply, I'm maybe getting a bit ahead of myself before the AC results are out, but better to be prepared for the PCA by getting the fitness levels up. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, I'm maybe getting a bit ahead of myself before the AC results are out, but better to be prepared for the PCA by getting the fitness levels up. Thanks again.

Yea I totally agree, PCA is the only bit that is 100% in your control. There is no reason every person shouldnt pass it. It's just up to each individual to make sure they work for it. Keep working hard and you'll get it :)

Am I reading too much into this? It's on the FAQ's on join PSNI.

Q- Will the PCA include the push-pull exercise for the new campaign?

A- The push-pull will not be tested as part of the PCA during the 2017 recruitment process.

I wonder does that mean it's included but not marked like in the 1509 campaign, or if it's been dropped completly for 1710.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Am I reading too much into this? It's on the FAQ's on join PSNI.

Q- Will the PCA include the push-pull exercise for the new campaign?

A- The push-pull will not be tested as part of the PCA during the 2017 recruitment process.

I wonder does that mean it's included but not marked like in the 1509 campaign, or if it's been dropped completly for 1710.

I think they said it wasn't a thing in 1509 either. They made you do a push-pull test straight after your circuit at the PCA but it didn't matter whether you met the 26kgf threshold. They recorded your mark just. Their purpose of measuring it at this time is that it is used as an initial benchmark. When you retake the push-pull at the end of GV I think you're supposed to demonstrate an improvement or a pass of 26kgf. I would suspect it is the same sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Guys , I’m currently from Dublin. Applied for the guards last June got to stage 3, failed by 4 points sadly I was out. Apparently, they are recruiting soon, so I’ll be applying.. however, I’d also like to give the PSNI a go as I’m so dedicated to become an officer! Anyone any ideas how , where or when I apply for the PSNI? Your help would be so appreciated!

Kind regards
    Cian

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    Guys , I’m currently from Dublin. Applied for the guards last June got to stage 3, failed by 4 points sadly I was out. Apparently, they are recruiting soon, so I’ll be applying.. however, I’d also like to give the PSNI a go as I’m so dedicated to become an officer! Anyone any ideas how , where or when I apply for the PSNI? Your help would be so appreciated!

Kind regards
    Cian

Next one will prob be start of 2019. I see you've found the thread for the next recruitment anyway. There is loads of help throught these posts so give as much as you can a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I hear rumblings that wecould be back to annual recruitment. So there may be an 1809/1810 campaign and if there is a 2019 campain it will be Jan/Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 24 thehills4

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2022scs

Anybody any advice on tips for the PCA the 2nd time around?

Failed by 10 seconds, 2 faults on the beam! After waiting so long it's literally knocked me back a few steps & I genuinely thot my current fitness regime would have been enough. Any 2nd time rounders wanna offer some advice? I'm going to do as many of the sessions as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

My advice is to slow down the obstacles, from what you are staying failing the obstacle is what is costing you the most time, then going as fast as possible between obstacles to make up the time.

Is it the balance beam you are referring to? If so, it must be the positioning of your feet that is failing you.. or losing balance.

I hit the bar coming down the steps being tall, the next time I really slowed it down and looked up when under it to make sure I was well clear. Thankfully had enough time to spare.

Don't let the nerves get to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 new2022scs

Yeah, definitely think the two repeats on the beam hasn't helped. Gonna work on builder a bit of upper body strength aswell, being petite doesn't help with that wall! Ur right about the nerves, hopefully get a bit of confidence from these sessions! I'm just happy that there are success stories of people passing the second time round! Thanks for the advice

Advertisement