Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Comments

it even ended up with a bunch of feminists all bickering at each other, they couldnt even put on a united front over bum pinching!
    When men argue over different approaches to men's issues, it's called... arguing. I don't see why it's 'bickering' here.

Is anyone really surprised that 'not all women agree with each other'? Their ovaries do not equip women with some kind of united worldview.

There may be too much emphasis on women's issues on the show, I haven't been listening recently; but I cannot see anything negative in a few panelists, who happen to be women, disagreeing with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

You are confusing the word "feminist" with "women's interest" but I have to agree, Susan's shows have been very centered around women's interest pieces.

Must be reading the thread

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

In typical Today FM fashion, Susan outright refused to accept her shows have been too heavy on women's issues and then immediately crow bars in an awkward segment on men being held to different standards that, although refreshing, had more than a fair bit of outrageous hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes, it had a "many of my friends are black" ring to it. I'm a woman and am all for female presenters getting a chance. But after a week of this my ears got a bit tired of all the female voices. There is a discussion to be had about how men are harassed and held to a different standard but this wasn't it. Did they hurriedly nab Feargal D'Arcy before he went home for this?

If someone from The Last Word is looking at this thread, can you cut that Friday panel back down to two people again? It worked much better when it was only two guests and the presenter.

And bring back the old Matt Cooper. The one who used to ask hard questions instead of the consensus-seeking, right-on, snowflake that has taken his place recently. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Yes, it had a "many of my friends are black" ring to it. I'm a woman and am all for female presenters getting a chance. But after a week of this my ears got a bit tired of all the female voices. There is a discussion to be had about how men are harassed and held to a different standard but this wasn't it. Did they hurriedly nab Feargal D'Arcy before he went home for this?

I am so glad I wasnt the only one thinking this! as soon as i heard darcy on i thought to myself, he's obviously hanging around the office after his own show and susan nabbed him in and asked him to say that he gets harassed in the dj box when doing gigs, clearly darcy was winging it and i dont know how he kept a straight face, i've seen that man djing and i can tell you he has absolutely no problem with all the attention he gets, in fact he encourages it!
    Obviously Susan realised or had it said to her that she went overboard on the womens issues and this was her way of trying to balance it out, i had a pain in my ear by 7 o clock on friday after listening to sexual harassment and feminism and womens issues all week.
    I was very happy to see a woman get a go at the last word but i would imagine after such a disaster of a week that will be her last rodeo..
    If you want to be balanced and non stereotypical you could say that its not the case that all women dont like sport some love it and equally some men dont like sport, just because you have a woman presenter doesnt mean she has to hate sport, so maybe the should look at getting a female presenter on the sports team, in fairness to RTE they have 3 of the finest presenters in sport who happen to be girls, evanne ni chuillin, jaquai hurley and joanne cantwell, tv3 have sinead kissane. i would like to see a female presenter who could do the whole of the last word including sport and a presenter who is balanced whereby you dont even think of them being female.

I don't think this is the last we'll be hearing from her though. I'm long enough listening to the Last Word to know that some of their stand in presenters from the outside have been poor. Their two most recent stand ins are now gone. Gavin Reilly has left the station and the Communicorp Irish Times ban has put an end to Hugh Linehan. So unless they can rustle up someone else, she'll be back.

I don't think this is the last we'll be hearing from her though. I'm long enough listening to the Last Word to know that some of their stand in presenters from the outside have been poor. Their two most recent stand ins are now gone. Gavin Reilly has left the station and the Communicorp Irish Times ban has put an end to Hugh Linehan. So unless they can rustle up someone else, she'll be back.

Gavan Reilly is a massive loss, perhaps they would let him stand in if his schedule allows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Gavan Reilly is a massive loss, perhaps they would let him stand in if his schedule allows?
    Maybe Adrian Kennedy?

I assume that's a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I assume that's a joke?

I assume he meant Dara Quilty. Thats normally the reccomendation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Laura Whitmore and Susan Keogh double act perhaps? It'd be like the new RTE 6-1 news then.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

If someone from The Last Word is looking at this thread, can you cut that Friday panel back down to two people again? It worked much better when it was only two guests and the presenter.

And bring back the old Matt Cooper. The one who used to ask hard questions instead of the consensus-seeking, right-on, snowflake that has taken his place recently. Thanks

Seems Matt has gone through some 'reducation' process in that he has swallowed the right-on handbook wholesale. He has now learnt the error of his ways and will never detour into non PC heresy again. Then maybe he is looking for a new job in the IT or RTE. More suited to the new one-dimensional and predictable Matt.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Seems Matt has gone through some 'reducation' process in that he has swallowed the right-on handbook wholesale. He has now learnt the error of his ways and will never detour into non PC heresy again. Then maybe he is looking for a new job in the IT or RTE. More suited to the new one-dimensional and predictable Matt.

with all the time hes been taking off recently and the new tv3 gig, i have a feeling hes on the way out, maybe not immediately but if his tv3 gig goes well i can see him leaving todayfm, if you look at the roster now, its all full of presenters targeting the young folk, i cant imagine him having much in common with fergus darcy or alan porter, he would have more than enough to contend with at tv3 and his journo bits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

His self-righteous go at tax avoiders today and their 'greed' was somewhat ruined by his current role as an employee of a tax exile. A tax exile with significant editorial control it would seem given the lack of IT contributors.

griffin100 wrote: »
    His self-righteous go at tax avoiders today and their 'greed' was somewhat ruined by his current role as an employee of a tax exile. A tax exile with significant editorial control it would seem given the lack of IT contributors.

very very interesting observation :D

I know its off topic, but what really sickens me is Brendan O Carroll telling everybody to donate to SVDP whilst him and his family wont even pay their taxes which actually results in making people homeless.... what a hypocrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I mentioned in the other thread, but Brendan O'Carroll, so far anyway, is not listed as partaking in tax avoidance.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I mentioned in the other thread, but Brendan O'Carroll, so far anyway, is not listed as partaking in tax avoidance.

Hi, which thread is that on? I know his daughter, son in law and on screen son dermot were all avoiding tax, i also thought his production company was complicit in it too?

is the tv review slot gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

is the tv review slot gone?
    I hope so! That Jennifer Gannon one is the worst contributor by far on the show, turned me off what could actually be a decent segment

• Advertisement

I hope so! That Jennifer Gannon one is the worst contributor by far on the show, turned me off what could actually be a decent segment

Yes she does sound like a D4 teenager, one of those that hangs around the dundrum centre, is her real job as a tv reviewer? but whatever about her, is patrick frayne all there? all he does is come on and starts laughing at everything..

also is paul kimmage gone from the show?i havent heard him in a while thankfully, i really never got why they had him on raking up old articles on doping in cycling and reading out long chunks of his journo mates columns

they could do with dropping mark lawrenson too, he has no more interest, always gets the players names wrong, clearly hasn't researched anything

on the rugby side franno always sounds like he just got out of bed and the segment is just hassle to him

i do like the travel segment but i think the cal/marion thing has become very boring

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

The show needs a reset. Too set in its ways. Bring back Father Wishy Washy I say. Presenter? Possibly.

quintana76 wrote: »
    The show needs a reset. Too set in its ways. Bring back Father Wishy Washy I say. Presenter? Possibly.

Father wishy washy?! must have been before i started listening! Yes I agree it needs a whole make over, nothing wrong with the show overall, its a good show but i think they need to look at the standard of contributor they use, perhaps its a budgetary thing... however, i really cant see matt stick the massive workload he now must have with his tv show and the writing he does also, i could see him moving to newstalk to an earlier slot for maybe an hour as the current show is late and he would have to dash off to tv3 afterwards and it wouldnt leave a massive amount of time for prep, i heard him say he arrives in for work at 11am in todayfm so thats a long day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

She's annoying , loud and her picks are so either a feminsty type show or some lame celebrity/reality show... The other fella is annoying as well and she seems to use the feminist trick by overtalking everybody to get attention

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Yes she does sound like a D4 teenager, one of those that hangs around the dundrum centre, is her real job as a tv reviewer? but whatever about her, is patrick frayne all there? all he does is come on and starts laughing at everything..

also is paul kimmage gone from the show?i havent heard him in a while thankfully, i really never got why they had him on raking up old articles on doping in cycling and reading out long chunks of his journo mates columns

they could do with dropping mark lawrenson too, he has no more interest, always gets the players names wrong, clearly hasn't researched anything

on the rugby side franno always sounds like he just got out of bed and the segment is just hassle to him

i do like the travel segment but i think the cal/marion thing has become very boring

A retooling is needed, Kimmage is annoying, Cascarino and Lawernson are irritating soccer panellists.......I like Cal (meh on Marion) but its just another excuse for Coops to whinge about trump...The Gannon one needs to go or tone it down a bit and stop picking either feminsty stuff or lame celebrity shows....
    And drop the 5 at 5 crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

A retooling is needed, Kimmage is annoying, Cascarino and Lawernson are irritating soccer panellists.......I like Cal (meh on Marion) but its just another excuse for Coops to whinge about trump...The Gannon one needs to go or tone it down a bit and stop picking either feminsty stuff or lame celebrity shows....
    And drop the 5 at 5 crap

Gannon really need to learn how to pronounce '-ing'. It isn't 'eatin', 'watchin', 'hearin', 'talkin', etc etc, etc

I enjoy the music slot where they sling insults/faux insults at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've posted about my irritation on it here before but ++1 on the comments about the 2 TV "reviewers". Awful awful lame crap with 2 of the most irritating voices on radio you're likely to ever hear.

+1 also on Tony "alright MATT!" Cascarino and Lawro. So so dull... the same old tired "at the end of the day" cliches. There's so many other fresher/better pundits out there now FFS.

Another regular contributor they have on - the guy who does the movies reviews. He has some very annoying twitches / mannerisms. Talks at a million miles per hour (Dave Fanning style) and every sentence is punctuated with "you know that kinda way, loike". Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Father wishy washy?! must have been before i started listening!

I think I remember these days, it was back when Dunphy had the show.

They had 2 comedians doing sketches. A double act of "Navan man and the drunken politician"

I think the handwringing Father WishyWashy was one of their characters too?

It was 20 years ago anyway :eek::D

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I've posted about my irritation on it here before but ++1 on the comments about the 2 TV "reviewers". Awful awful lame crap with 2 of the most irritating voices on radio you're likely to ever hear.

+1 also on Tony "alright MATT!" Cascarino and Lawro. So so dull... the same old tired "at the end of the day" cliches. There's so many other fresher/better pundits out there now FFS.

Another regular contributor they have on - the guy who does the movies reviews. He has some very annoying twitches / mannerisms. Talks at a million miles per hour (Dave Fanning style) and every sentence is punctuated with "you know that kinda way, loike". Brutal.

ah in fairness to bryan lloyd of the movie review slot, he has like 3 minutes to get through a whole review which is probably why he talks so quickly

Advertisement