Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Gannnn really need to learn how to pronounce '-ing'. It isn't 'eatin', 'watchin', 'hearin', 'talkin', etc etc, etc

i think she sounds quite hot, but she is annoying though

kimage is by far the worst contributor i have ever heard on tv, the only topic he can talk about is doping in cycling and i think at this stage everyone is bored to tears of hearing about it

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator:

I've had to delete a few posts for personal abuse/unfounded allegations.

Please remember the rule against abusing presenters/contributors. Please also remember a lot of those involved read this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I think I remember these days, it was back when Dunphy had the show.

They had 2 comedians doing sketches. A double act of "Navan man and the drunken politician"

I think the handwringing Father WishyWashy was one of their characters too?

It was 20 years ago anyway :eek::D

Believe it or not it was actually Tom Dunne who did all the voices including the good Father Wishy Washy.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Believe it or not it was actually Tom Dunne who did all the voices including the good Father Wishy Washy.

haven't things become very PC since then...

haven't things become very PC since then...

....they sure have. The humourless now supervise humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I tuned in today for a bit of TLW.....and I think I'm done with it now.

Its just so annoying. Matt was raving about Michael Buble and how he wouldn't go out his back year to listen to him......then proceeded to get all excited to hear how Taylor Swift was going to play Croker. What a sad man.

Then advert after advert, too much traffic info, going on constantly about competitions.....I think there must be more talk about competitions and whats coming up as there actually is discussion.

Back to RTE 1 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Believe it or you're wrong! Stuart Carolyn did many (if not most) of the voices, especially Navan Man. I think he did The Drunken Politician as well. He is better known these days as the creator and writer of Love/Hate. He used to be a producer on The Last Word.

Most of those characters had started before Tom Dunne came to Today FM from 98FM. At the time, Today FM was not under the Communicorp umbrella so they were not under common ownership. When Tom Dunne came to Today FM, he did his fictional version of Bill Cullen, known as Dr. Bill, on The Last Word. It was so funny that you could hear The Drunken Politician struggling not to laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NIMAN wrote: »

Its just so annoying. Matt was raving about Michael Buble and how he wouldn't go out his back year to listen to him......then proceeded to get all excited to hear how Taylor Swift was going to play Croker. What a sad man.

Then advert after advert, too much traffic info, going on constantly about competitions.....I think there must be more talk about competitions and whats coming up as there actually is discussion.

Back to RTE 1 for me.
    Yeah, I'm a bit fed up of TLW the last few months but I always stop listening for December and January anyway due to work so maybe by February I might have forgotten how poor it is currently.

Or switched channels;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's become to PC and afraid to upset anyone. A whole load of non sense last night with a segment on this colgan fella which has been done to death in the media last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

neris wrote: »
    It's become to PC and afraid to upset anyone. A whole load of non sense last night with a segment on this colgan fella which has been done to death in the media last week.

Ive a feeling Matt has seen what happens to people who don't keep with the pc line and changed himself (maybe for the tv show as well), he used to be the voice of common sense and was a tough interviewer

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Back to RTE 1 for me.

I disagree on the traffic info, as a long suffering commuter i dont think there is enough traffic updates but i totally agree on the competitions, too much of that nonsense, radio 1 is hardly any better? Ray Darcy?

Ive a feeling Matt has seen what happens to people who don't keep with the pc line and changed himself (maybe for the tv show as well), he used to be the voice of common sense and was a tough interviewer

He seems to have gone on some reducation course to see the 'slight' error of his ways.
    He seems to have adopted the new uber PC line with enthusiasm. This results in very tedious radio.
    On the other hand if this is due to self censorship for reasons of career advancement it says a lot about freedom of speech in media circles.
    Despite this he seems to believe what he saying.
    Is this the future of all Irish media opinion?

He seems to have gone on some reducation course to see the 'slight' error of his ways.
    He seems to have adopted the new uber PC line with enthusiasm. This results in very tedious radio.
    On the other hand if this is due to self censorship for reasons of career advancement it says a lot about freedom of speech in media circles.
    Despite this he seems to believe what he saying.
    Is this the future of all Irish media opinion?

In fairness to Matt, the whole world has gone PC now, do you think they would get away with fr sneaky now? not a chance.... oliver callan had his nob nation on radio 2 cancelled a few years back because he depicted brian cowan as a fan of major cigarettes and pints of guinness (which was actually true) but you cant say anything remotely out of tune these days or you will lose your job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In fairness to Matt, the whole world has gone PC now, do you think they would get away with fr sneaky now? not a chance.... oliver callan had his nob nation on radio 2 cancelled a few years back because he depicted brian cowan as a fan of major cigarettes and pints of guinness (which was actually true) but you cant say anything remotely out of tune these days or you will lose your job

At the risk of derailing this thread, where has this tidal wave tsunami of PC bull**** come from all of a sudden?? Seriously, it's as if every media outlet and associated personality is suddenly afraid to give their opinion these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

At the risk of derailing this thread, where has this tidal wave tsunami of PC bull**** come from all of a sudden?? Seriously, it's as if every media outlet and associated personality is suddenly afraid to give their opinion these days

Looking at the Hook incident - there’s going to be prats like Lon/Mullally and the like whipping up a fuss on social media - some douche bag apparently listed all advertisements on hookd show and tweeted out to the offended brigade to ‘boycott ‘ the companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I thought Cal Thomas put him in his place yesterday evening when Matt tried to interrupt him. (He'd allowed Marion to speak uninterrupted) I don't always agree with what he has to say but it's good to have a conservative on the show to go against the consensus.

I thought Cal Thomas put him in his place yesterday evening when Matt tried to interrupt him. (He'd allowed Marion to speak uninterrupted) I don't always agree with what he has to say but it's good to have a conservative on the show to go against the consensus.

I like Cal in general but i hate the way he feels that just because hes a conservative he has to defend trump, trump isnt a real conservative anyway and hes definitely not a republican

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I like Cal in general but i hate the way he feels that just because hes a conservative he has to defend trump, trump isnt a real conservative anyway and hes definitely not a republican

I know what you mean, but at least Cal brings a bit of much-needed balance (however misguided that is) to the show. Apart from Hook, I can't think of any other Irish radio show where there is balance in covering Trump. I personally don't agree with anything Trump has to say, or do, but there needs to be balance when covering any topic so that people are informed and can form their own opinions.

Cal doesn't always defend Trump.

Cal doesn't always defend Trump.

sometimes trump is just undefendable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Forget the Al Porter issue.

The big news involving a Today FM presenter came during the Last Word on sport yesterday even Matt Cooper was discussing Man Utd and in particular Marouane Fellaini.

Cooper spoke of how Mourinho liked Fellaini cos he is 6ft 4” and they can lump the ball up to him. When discussing Fellaini not signing a new contract and possibly going to play in China for 150k a week, Cooper said, obviously referring to his height, ‘well Fellaini would get on great in China’.

This is an example of racial stereotyping as Cooper was inferring that the Chinese race are small in height.

It’s a disgrace, I am deeply offended for the entire Chinese race and indeed Fellaini was has been innocently dragged into this scandal.

I have not been this offended in days. I demand that Cooper issues a public apology and resigns. I also think that a bunch of liberal millennials should be dragged onto every TV and radio show for the next week to discuss these disgusting comments by Cooper.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The average height of Chinese men is 5'6". The European average is nearly 5'9". Marouan Fellaini is 6'4.5". He's tall everywhere in the world but particularly in a place like China.

It's not a racial stereotype. But you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

BPKS wrote: »
    Forget the Al Porter issue.

The big news involving a Today FM presenter came during the Last Word on sport yesterday even Matt Cooper was discussing Man Utd and in particular Marouane Fellaini.

Cooper spoke of how Mourinho liked Fellaini cos he is 6ft 4” and they can lump the ball up to him. When discussing Fellaini not signing a new contract and possibly going to play in China for 150k a week, Cooper said, obviously referring to his height, ‘well Fellaini would get on great in China’.

This is an example of racial stereotyping as Cooper was inferring that the Chinese race are small in height.

It’s a disgrace, I am deeply offended for the entire Chinese race and indeed Fellaini was has been innocently dragged into this scandal.

I have not been this offended in days. I demand that Cooper issues a public apology and resigns. I also think that a bunch of liberal millennials should be dragged onto every TV and radio show for the next week to discuss these disgusting comments by Cooper.

Disgusting ! Cooper should be called out on that. Must see if I can start a twitter campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Manchester City are the smallest team in the Premier League 5'10.7" on average. Fellaini should do very well against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,243 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I would have assumed Matt meant the Chinese league being woeful.

The average height of Chinese men is 5'6". The European average is nearly 5'9". Marouan Fellaini is 6'4.5". He's tall everywhere in the world but particularly in a place like China.

It's not a racial stereotype. But you know that.

He was giving out about the racist chant about Lukaku a few weeks ago. No difference between what Cooper said and what the so called undertones of that chant.

He was giving out about the racist chant about Lukaku a few weeks ago. No difference between what Cooper said and what the so called undertones of that chant.

I assume this is all a skit/parody? People cant be serious?

pjohnson wrote: »
    I would have assumed Matt meant the Chinese league being woeful.

He was talking about Fellaini’s height just before his comments.

So I think it’s fair to assume he meant Fellaini is way taller than all the Chinese players which is racial stereotyping. I am deeply offended by Matt’s comments.

He was talking about Fellaini’s height just before his comments.

So I think it’s fair to assume he meant Fellaini is way taller than all the Chinese players which is racial stereotyping. I am deeply offended by Matt’s comments.

You must have loved Brunker and the gang yesterday so.

• Advertisement

Oh don't get me started. It was like an episode of Loose Women. And when one tried to make a legitimate point - that sometimes people can be stupid when they're young and hold opinions they wouldn't when they get older - she was shot down. By a woman who then admitted she calls people out on things she disagrees with and she has lots of rows with them.

Advertisement