Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Comically biased from the start this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Comically biased from the start this evening.

Matt made zero attempt to temper his panel who all seemed to be under the impression that the men were found guilty. In fact, they seemed to be arguing for a justice system where people are found guilty if they might have done it.

Sad that the Last Word has sunk to this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Matt made zero attempt to temper his panel who all seemed to be under the impression that the men were found guilty. In fact, they seemed to be arguing for a justice system where people are found guilty if they might have done it.

Sad that the Last Word has sunk to this level.

Its been at this level for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well what man in their right mind would disagree with that mob?

Have a look at twitter to see the loons baying for blood. Be career ending a la Hook if someone countered them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Glad I missed it today, couldn't have been arsed listening to those who want the law to do whatever they think is right.

And sometime unrelated, but does there seem to be more TV and music, general entertainment slots of late? Are they struggling to fill the time now?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

NIMAN wrote: »
    Glad I missed it today, couldn't have been arsed listening to those who want the law to do whatever they think is right.

And sometime unrelated, but does there seem to be more TV and music, general entertainment slots of late? Are they struggling to fill the time now?

Seems such things have become increasingly necessary when you have a PC zombie presenter. Distraction before very understandable future defection.

None of the Matt whiners listen till Friday next week. Susan Keogh is filling in till then. If Matt triggers you don't try her!

pjohnson wrote: »
    None of the Matt whiners listen till Friday next week. Susan Keogh is filling in till then. If Matt triggers you don't try her!

Thanks.

I'm definitely out all next week.

Can't stand her. Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tbh, I rarely listen anymore.

It's turned into an entertainment programme rather than a current affairs programme. The few times I've tuned in the last few weeks, it's just been fluffy filler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Oh god. Today FM will be completely unlistenable next week then. Curtis in the morning and Susan Keogh in the evening FFS!

I know everyone takes holidays but some of the Today FM mainstays seem to take more holidays than school teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe they want to do something with their families because the schools are off?

Today's Last Word television segment featured discussion of 'whitesplaining,' the 'metoo' movement and why women are underrepresented on certain BBC panel shows.

It would be great if they actually discussed television instead of the current fashionable issue but that is probably too much to expect.

Today's Last Word television segment featured discussion of 'whitesplaining,' the 'metoo' movement and why women are underrepresented on certain BBC panel shows.

It would be great if they actually discussed television instead of the current fashionable issue but that is probably too much to expect.

They don't seem to be able to help themselves. Look forward to the next listenership figures. Maybe they are deliberately trying to sabotage the show and replace it with a cheaper music programme.

quintana76 wrote: »
    They don't seem to be able to help themselves. Look forward to the next listenership figures. Maybe they are deliberately trying to sabotage the show and replace it with a cheaper music programme.
    Afaik, they will have to maintain a certain percentage of talk radio to remain in compliance with their licence so I doubt that is going to happen.

The TV segment is really really dreadful with Louise ahhh’ing errr’ing and “do you know what I mean like?” Duffy.

Could they not find anyone else to do this segment? No one at all?

• Advertisement

And as I said previously, is there more TV coverage than before?

I seemed to remember it one night a week, now it seems to be more often.

Filler?

If it's not Louise then it's Jennifer Gannon, who is physically incapable of reviewing a tv programme without making it into a feminist rant. Gordon whatshisname is a PC bore too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Dayton Wide Oyster

If it's not Louise then it's Jennifer Gannon, who is physically incapable of reviewing a tv programme without making it into a feminist rant. Gordon whatshisname is a PC bore too.

probably the only benefit of the times ban.....And Louise Duffy is marginally better than a sjw from the Journal

The first part of the show was about consent which was a male-bashing affair. Then they had the TV slot which was about 'me too' and lack of women on telly instead of about programming. The final segment was about an exhibition celebrating women.

Why do they have to view everything to the prism of gender? I am genuinely going to have to switch off the last word for the final time soon. I can't deal with the endless agenda. I used to look forward to listening to it every day but Its becoming too much.

The first part of the show was about consent which was a male-bashing affair. Then they had the TV slot which was about 'me too' and lack of women on telly instead of about programming. The final segment was about an exhibition celebrating women.

Why do they have to view everything to the prism of gender? I am genuinely going to have to switch off the last word for the final time soon. I can't deal with the endless agenda. I used to look forward to listening to it every day but Its becoming too much.

Gave up a while ago. Could no longer tolerate Cooper's intolerant attitude in forwarding a minority agenda. It is even worse with his stand-ins.

• Advertisement

Another here who switched off a while back.

I do occasionally tune in when channel hopping, but I find it never has enough to draw me back in again, if anything it just gives me more evidence of why I quit it in the 1st place.

Gone here too. It's well beyond time to stop listening when all you want to do is shout at the radio.

I sometimes tune in by accident and they rarely seem to have anything other than entertainment and agenda driven segments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

There seems to be a LOT of filler on it nowadays. Competitions, ads etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I gave up on liveline in 2017 & ive already given up on the last word in 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭giveitholly

One of the topics to be discussed in this evenings show is 'how long is too long to sit in a cafe with a cup of coffee in front of you'.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One of the topics to be discussed in this evenings show is 'how long is too long to sit in a cafe with a cup of coffee in front of you'.
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What are the chances that there is a gender divide here too! No doubt that men will be lambasted for spending a disproportionate amount of time sitting in a cafe whilst the women are hard at work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I thought I had misheard that too..... Jesus as bad as it is with Cooper it's a lot worse without him.

I felt like shouting at the radio the other day when I turned it on. It was the music slot and they were talking about some poll that had been held on Radio X in the UK. Given its listenership, it was probably no surprise that ever second song on the poll was by Oasis or someone else from the Britpop era. Yet all Nadine O'Regan could go on about was the lack of female artists on the list :rolleyes:

statto25 wrote: »
    I thought I had misheard that too..... Jesus as bad as it is with Cooper it's a lot worse without him.

Thats why I laugh when people whinge about "PC Cooper". THIS is what PC actually is.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a LOT of filler on it nowadays. Competitions, ads etc...

To be fair, thats not a modern thing.

Its always had a lot of filler. I would say there wouldn't be a full hour of debate on the 2.5hrs of TLW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,520 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I felt like shouting at the radio the other day when I turned it on. It was the music slot and they were talking about some poll that had been held on Radio X in the UK. Given its listenership, it was probably no surprise that ever second song on the poll was by Oasis or someone else from the Britpop era. Yet all Nadine O'Regan could go on about was the lack of female artists on the list :rolleyes:

That wad ridiculous. Ive only heard tlw the odd time in the last few months, and twice its been a music piece that nadine o'regan twisted into a feminist rant - last tues and another time about david byrne apologizing for not using enough women on an album. Its cringey stuff...maybe im just unlucky??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

There was some slot on this evening (I can’t even remember what they were reviewing)...but there was a male and female critic...verrrry hard hard to listen to the female reviewer,who while patently Irish,insisted on speaking like a fourteen year old Californian with an extremely annoying upward inflection at the end of every sentence and a further lapse into American twang at regular intervals in between.....my teeth were grinding half way through willing it to stop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I used to love the first half hour on the Friday show where it was all silly stories like "A woman is suing a dog for copyright infringement" or mental local news snippets. There's always an angle with it now. Which is fine, whatever, but I liked that little reprieve from big issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭prunudo

Has there been a change to the production team in the last 6 months that is causing the change in direction of the topics covered. Also wonder is there any connection with either Matt doing the tv3 evening show or the fallout with the Irish Times causing the changes in content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Dayton Wide Oyster

jvan wrote: »
    Has there been a change to the production team in the last 6 months that is causing the change in direction of the topics covered. Also wonder is there any connection with either Matt doing the tv3 evening show or the fallout with the Irish Times causing the changes in content.

if i rememberr righly in the last year or so he did get a new producer, as the long serving one left....im wondering is it the new producer that's caused the change or was matt reigned in by the old producer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭prunudo

if i rememberr righly in the last year or so he did get a new producer, as the long serving one left....im wondering is it the new producer that's caused the change or was matt reigned in by the old producer

It would make sense.

The new people behind the scenes probably have made a difference. I also believe that the disgraceful Communicorp ban on Irish Times journalists appearing on its stations hasn't helped either. The Irish Times isn't perfect but it still has more credible journalists on its books than some of the journalists on clickbait "news" sites they bring in instead. Plus, Hugh Linehan not being available as a stand-in has led to them inflicting Susan Keogh on us.

The 6 @ 6 was extra cringey tonight, there was another girl on with Matt, and if possible, she was worse than Susan Keogh at it.

It really is bad that segment, what are TodayFM thinking? It needs to go.

Tonight there was a story and Matt started it off, of course summarising it for us. He then tells the other person "so tell us all about it",, she more or less repeats what Matt says and then plays an audio clip of another journo telling us about it.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    The 6 @ 6 was extra cringey tonight, there was another girl on with Matt, and if possible, she was worse than Susan Keogh at it.

It really is bad that segment, what are TodayFM thinking? It needs to go.

Tonight there was a story and Matt started it off, of course summarising it for us. He then tells the other person "so tell us all about it",, she more or less repeats what Matt says and then plays an audio clip of another journo telling us about it.
    I was listening to that, alright. It really came across as ramming the point down my throat.

I simply can't see the point of that segment. Waste time giving us the headlines just before giving us the headlines?

I'll have to stop posting here soon as I'm becoming too negative and I don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

The Last Word is a pale imitation of the show that Dunphy made. Back in the day, it was compulsive listening. You never knew what would come up, and if the chat was good, it wasnt always, Dunphy might just cancel the news and keep the chat going.
    Sometimes i thought he was inspiring, othertimes a fool, but always interesting, in fact, everything the Last Word no longer is

Today's easily offended snowflakes wouldn't be able to handle Dunphy's "The Last Word". Would Navan Man or Fr Wishy Washy be even allowed on air now?

The Last Word is a pale imitation of the show that Dunphy made. Back in the day, it was compulsive listening. You never knew what would come up, and if the chat was good, it wasnt always, Dunphy might just cancel the news and keep the chat going.
    Sometimes i thought he was inspiring, othertimes a fool, but always interesting, in fact, everything the Last Word no longer is

You should checkout Dunphy’s Podcast - The Stand. I find it really good, he does it twice, sometimes 3 times weekly. Mixture of politics and sport. He’s done some really excellent 1-1 interviews on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Should the Southwest 1380 pilot have been hyperventilating over the radio and causing panic?

Excellently handled I'm not sure what this line of questioning is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You should checkout Dunphy’s Podcast - The Stand. I find it really good, he does it twice, sometimes 3 times weekly. Mixture of politics and sport. He’s done some really excellent 1-1 interviews on it.

The political ones are always worth a listen.
    The soccer ones are poor enough considering the quality of guests available to him.
    His brown-nosing of Giles, Brady and Hamann really needs to be reigned in at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

What's with this stupid 5 at 5 crap and the same at 6 for the news. Matt reads the headline she then says "Ya" and just repeats exaxtly what he said. I find guests are always being rushed to fit in the nearly 15 mins it takes to do the news with all the adverts before and after and the dragged out headlines

Yeah, getting less and less content on TLW.

More news, weather, adverts and competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Friday interview at 5.30 or so is generally with a brutal guest, I would say once in the last 3 months I have stayed listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

This warning he and others give before a "bad" word is going to be used is so annoying. If you are offended by someone using a bad word, it's pathetic and you need to cop onto to yourself and lighten up........more PC rubbish.

That piece with John Waters and Eamon Dunphy was hilarious.

I wounder where that doctor that used to be on has gone, Rory Hanley I think, that man was so refreshing instead of the usual PC bull that's mostly on this show.. Probably decided to drop him possibly, it wouldn't surprise me.

jimmyw wrote: »
    This warning he and others give before a "bad" word is going to be used is so annoying. If you are offended by someone using a bad word, it's pathetic and you need to cop onto to yourself and lighten up........more PC rubbish.

That piece with John Waters and Eamon Dunphy was hilarious.

I wounder where that doctor that used to be on has gone, Rory Hanley I think, that man was so refreshing instead of the usual PC bull that's mostly on this show.. Probably decided to drop him possibly, it wouldn't surprise me.

So its PC not to want a kid hearing a swear?

• Advertisement
Advertisement