Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest Winning margin in GAA

• 04-11-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Trinity's Camogie team beat St Pat's Thurles by a scoreline of 21.26(89) to 2.2(8) in the division 2 league this week. Has anyone heard of a adult game with such a large gap in recent years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Trinity isn’t even a big gaa stronghold in third level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

St Pats would have a total student body of 200, including both male and female so its a miracle that they are able to field at all, I assume there is no Div 3 when you have a college of over 15,000 in the same division as one with 200!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I remember the Roscommon hurlers getting annihilated a few years back in Antrim

9-38
    0-5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

big_drive wrote: »
    Trinity isn’t even a big gaa stronghold in third level.

Trinity has no GAA tradition. When I was there almost any student with GAA interest, whether Dub or otherwise, played with a local club. UCD and DCU have major GAA investment including full time coaches. Even rugby in TCD is pretty abysmal. Just not a sports university.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Wexford beat Kilkenny by 17-20 to 0-1 in last year's Leinster minor football championship https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/wexford-beat-kilkenny-by-70-points-in-minor-mismatch-1.2613743

Biggest defeat in senior football I can remember in recent times was fermanagh beating kilkenny 9-23 to 0-4 back in 2012 https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/quigley-leads-erne-rampage-26828430.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Trinity has no GAA tradition. When I was there almost any student with GAA interest, whether Dub or otherwise, played with a local club. UCD and DCU have major GAA investment including full time coaches. Even rugby in TCD is pretty abysmal. Just not a sports university.
    Rugby in TCD isnt abysmal. Its in the top flight in the country in club rugby. Have one of strongest under 20 set ups in the country. Nearly always make it to all ireland quarters/semis.

Why would Trinity have a GAA tradition. Through history etc...

Rugby in TCD isnt abysmal. Its in the top flight in the country in club rugby. Have one of strongest under 20 set ups in the country. Nearly always make it to all ireland quarters/semis.

Why would Trinity have a GAA tradition. Through history etc...

I'll take your word for it. Only talking about when I was there. Some of best Dublin players were Trinners chaps, Hanahoe and more recently. Of course your man Dick Spring who dropped the ball against England was TCD and a Knight of the Campanile. God help us, a lot of assholes. Most of us ignored that sort of sh1te :-) Other than to take pleasure in above :)

I'll take your word for it. Only talking about when I was there. Some of best Dublin players were Trinners chaps, Hanahoe and more recently. Of course your man Dick Spring who dropped the ball against England was TCD and a Knight of the Campanile. God help us, a lot of assholes. Most of us ignored that sort of sh1te :-) Other than to take pleasure in above :)

Jaysus Bonnie wouldn't have had you down as a Trinity head, the mask is slipping :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

You'd have to feel sorry for St. Pat's Thurles here. Only 200 students in the college with very limited playing numbers and resources, and to be put in the same division as Trinity, with 15,000 students is baffling. There's surely a lower division for St. Pat's to play in. That is a demoralizing defeat for those girls who played for St. Pat's. I texted a friend of mine who is a student in St. Pat's and they are obviously really upset over it and are thinking of packing it in altogether which is sad to see. Put them in the right division and let them get some enjoyment and development out of it. The University Times were not too kind about it either in their article.

You'd have to feel sorry for St. Pat's Thurles here. Only 200 students in the college with very limited playing numbers and resources, and to be put in the same division as Trinity, with 15,000 students is baffling. There's surely a lower division for St. Pat's to play in. That is a demoralizing defeat for those girls who played for St. Pat's. I texted a friend of mine who is a student in St. Pat's and they are obviously really upset over it and are thinking of packing it in altogether which is sad to see. Put them in the right division and let them get some enjoyment and development out of it. The University Times were not too kind about it either in their article.
    university times is a trinity paper it's going to be biased...
    You can't just base groups based on student numbers.
    How are you to know what right division would be right? It's usually based on previous years and how teams did in those years.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    Jaysus Bonnie wouldn't have had you down as a Trinity head, the mask is slipping :D:D

When I got place in Trinity, someone asked me if I was going to be a gardener! And they were serious.

Trinners is great place. Mostly lost its old West Brit ambience. When I was there I was playing with club and would never have crossed my mind to play for the college. GAA was almost anonymous there, but as I said it is not a sports oriented place. The rugby pitch in the college grounds is a joke. Maybe they have improved and play somewhere else. Left a good while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

university times is a trinity paper it's going to be biased...
    You can't just base groups based on student numbers.
    How are you to know what right division would be right? It's usually based on previous years and how teams did in those years.

Well with that scoreline, there is something badly wrong with the grading here. Imagine if that scoreline happened an underage team. I understand it is harder to judge with college teams but shouldn't St. Pat's have ensured they were put into the right division. They will have to be regraded now before the championship which usually occurs after Christmas. Also, numbers does have a factor too. In this case, the numbers are stacked totally agsainst St. Pat's favour.

When I got place in Trinity, someone asked me if I was going to be a gardener! And they were serious.

Yes I have to say I would have had you more of a 'Groundskeeper Willie' type than an aristocrat type with his lovely shiny blazer and doffing his cap to the fair maidens as they pass :D:D

Bonniedog wrote:
    Trinners is great place. Mostly lost its old West Brit ambience. When I was there I was playing with club and would never have crossed my mind to play for the college. GAA was almost anonymous there, but as I said it is not a sports oriented place. The rugby pitch in the college grounds is a joke. Maybe they have improved and play somewhere else. Left a good while ago.

Bonniedog wrote:
    why is the rugby pitch in the grounds a joke??
    Well with that scoreline, there is something badly wrong with the grading here. Imagine if that scoreline happened an underage team. I understand it is harder to judge with college teams but shouldn't St. Pat's have ensured they were put into the right division. They will have to be regraded now before the championship which usually occurs after Christmas. Also, numbers does have a factor too. In this case, the numbers are stacked totally against St. Pat's favour.
    But if you go by numbers then ITs wouldn't be competing against the university's??
    At what stage do you break up teams by size of college??

But if you go by numbers then ITs wouldn't be competing against the university's??

Only the lost sheep could argue with a straight fact that a college of 200 students should be competing at the same grade as a university of 15,000 plus :D Your a gas man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

The rugby pitch on the grounds was a joke because it usually had as much grass and was as hard as a concrete yard. It was dangerous. Contrast that with the beautifully soft underused cricket pitch across the way.

They put in a new rugby pitch recently though so it might be better now.

If I was head of sport in there, Trinity GAA would be playing their home league games on what is the Cricket pitch. If the games were on campus it would boost the sports profile, and more students might take up sport.

Only the lost sheep could argue with a straight fact that a college of 200 students should be competing at the same grade as a university of 15,000 plus :D Your a gas man!
    :rolleyes:
    Yeah because numbers of students alone should be reason alone for determining what division teams are in. Teams are graded based on ability/performance in previous years.
    Vronsky wrote: »
    The rugby pitch on the grounds was a joke because it usually had as much grass and is as hard as a concrete yard. It was dangerous. Contrast that with the beautifully soft underused cricket pitch across the way.

They put in a new rugby pitch recently though so it might be better now.

If I was head of sport in there, Trinity GAA would be playing their home league games on what is the Cricket pitch. If the games were on campus it would boost the sports profile, and more students might take up sport.
    there was issue for a few years relatively recently where pitch was laid and the surface failed about 2/3 years ago and it was very bad but before that the surface wasn't that bad and certainly not a "joke"

And is cricket pitch big enough for a gaa pitch as I don't think shape of the oval in trinity is anywhere near suitable for a gaa pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Anyone who has played the Kilkenny football team.

Yeah because numbers of students alone should be reason alone for determining what division teams are in. Teams are graded based on ability/performance in previous years.

Go on so, list off all the wonderful achievements of the St Pats Camogie club that have them graded in the same Division as Trinity :rolleyes:

You would start a row in a cemetery!

there was issue for a few years relatively recently where pitch was laid and the surface failed about 2/3 years ago and it was very bad but before that the surface wasn't that bad and certainly not a "joke"

And is cricket pitch big enough for a gaa pitch as I don't think shape of the oval in trinity is anywhere near suitable for a gaa pitch

It absolutely was a joke. Go and look at the satellite view of that rugby pitch on Google Earth - the absolute state of it. I agree it's much better now but the pitch was a danger, I was watching the annual rugby 7 summer tournament they have a few years ago and the pitch made ribbons of the players. Totally compacted with no give.

The cricket pitch could be marked for a GAA pitch of minimum dimensions - it is just big enough for a 130m x 80m playing field

• Advertisement

I played a few knockabout games on the rugby pitch and it was like playing in a car park!

Goals were also about 5 feet from windows both ends so there was occassional collateral damage.

Cricket pitch is superb and is also used as running track so I would not interfere with it. I thought they had pitches out southside somewhere, where the student accommodation is? But long time since I was there.

I played a few knockabout games on the rugby pitch and it was like playing in a car park!

Goals were also about 5 feet from windows both ends so there was occassional collateral damage.

Cricket pitch is superb and is also used as running track so I would not interfere with it. I thought they had pitches out southside somewhere, where the student accommodation is? But long time since I was there.
    There is little or no green space out in Dartry now since they expanded student residences there almost 15 years ago. They have playing fields out in Santry which have been recently redeveloped.

Anyway, I still think the cricket pitch should be used by other sports, particularly for the big competitive games - if just to give these sports some profile and exposure in the college.

Vronsky wrote: »
    There is little or no green space out in Dartry now since they expanded student residences there almost 15 years ago. They have playing fields out in Santry which have been recently redeveloped.

Anyway, I still think the cricket pitch should be used by other sports, particularly for the big competitive games - if just to give these sports some profile and exposure in the college.

Used to enjoy watching the cricket there over a few cold beers on the Pav. If not mistaken I think I even saw some internationals there, might have been underage, and I was probably half p1ssed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Only the lost sheep could argue with a straight face that a college of 200 students should be competing at the same grade as a university of 15,000 plus
    Not much different from the Leinster football c'ship to be fair ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not sure if it counts in the grand scale of things but my local club here in Sligo beat a team by a margin of 15-24 to 0-0 this year in the league.

Definitely the most inept performance by a GAA team I ever witnessed.

Advertisement