Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

god they were insufferable. just a room of left-leaning journos all whining about the latest outrage and agreeing with each other. could they have picked a few lighter topics for the friday show? i think it was one topic in 20 mins that wasn't outrage fodder, the amazon lockers thing at the end.

at one point , one of the lads said we have laws to protect hate speech againt minorities like women! didn't know women were a minority. and it was a lad calling a woman he broke up with an ugly bh, hardly hate speech

I have found myself not listening to TLW as much as I used to, and haven't heard this section yet. I assume it came in at the same time as the 5@5 and 6@6? To make the show hip and trendy.

It sounds like a collection of snowflakes having a discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

This section has been there for quite a while. It's on before the 5:00 news and was always something I enjoyed. They'd talk about different things including ones that didn't get as much coverage during the week and it could even be funny at times. I don't even know if it was snowflakes having a discussion because the people involved were a bit older. They had plenty to be outraged by. Conor McGregor being the lout he is and using the ****** word. The Lazio football team wearing Anne Frank t-shirts because a section of their fans are fascist leaning. Some Labour MP saying obnoxious things about women. George Bush the older patting ladies on the arse. And yeah, them getting annoyed that Amazon has proposed some sort of service where a delivery man can have the key to your front door and leave your orders into your house. At one stage, one of the panellists took a swing at people who have a problem with the "PC brigade". https://www.todayfm.com/podcasts/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/79414/Why_Is_Conor_McGregor_Cancelling_Interviews

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I used to like it too but the move to three people has made it more of a you talk now, and then you talk, and then I talk as opposed to a normal conversation.

Any time a conversation breaks out it's only between two of em and you forget that there's a third there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I've always enjoyed The Last Word but in recent times Matt seems to have turned into something of a Social Justice Warrior. I can't put my finger on when it started to irritate me but it possibly may coincide with when he started that TV3 show. Hopefully that holiday he takes next week will chill him out a bit. I've always enjoyed that Friday evening panel but this evening the whole lot of them pissed me off and made me want to smack the heads off them. It's not that what they were saying was necessarily bad but the whole tone was what I have come to dislike on Irish radio.

im the same, hes gone very SJW since Trump got into power and your wan who does the 5 at 5, is such an irritating feministy type its irritating, your a newsreader ffs. and the way she was gigiling about fighting with the other females to interview Justin Trudeau was sad

According to the tv3 Show thread he got texts disagreeing with the saint halawa view by media and if you disagreed, your a racist according to coops - Used to be a voice of common sense and now seems caving into the snowflakes, least he reads some of the Texts who have some common sense

I was annoyed at the interview/agreefest he did with Fintan O'Toole when Ibraham Halawa was released. He read out a text from someone asking what I considered to be a legitimate question (can't remember what it was now) and the pair of them simply said "He was a child of 17" and shut it down there and then. I have a very real problem with this because I, along with quite a few other Irish citizens, have genuine questions I'd like to hear answers from. It's not about racism or anything like that. But I would like to know what sort of people we are letting into this country and what sort of activities might be going on under our noses. It's the lack of debate about this sort of thing and the playing of the racism card that's playing a part in Brexit, Trump etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tbh, the few times I listen to TLW these days, I treat it as a comedy gig and try to guess the punchline.

For me anyway, the best was when Matt asked Charlie Weston who the big winners in the budget were. Straight away, Charlie barked 'the self employed, their tax credit rises by 200 euro'.

No mention that their tax credit was still 500 euro behind the PAYE tax credit and yet they became the big winners.

You couldn't make it up:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

As I was reading the usual comical social commentary from Ross O Carroll Kelly in the Irish Times on Saturday I couldnt help but think back to Matt Cooper's Friday Panel.

In UCD, they were impeaching the Sports & Social Club President after she was charged with "micro-aggression". This involved the President being overhead offering a student who lived in a 'socially oppressed' area (Finglas) a drive home. This caused deep offence to the person who overheard the offer of the lift home.

The fella who was offered the lift home stood up and said that he wasnt a bit offended and that the "girl" just offered him a drive home, whats wrong with that?

Straight away the posse turned on the fella, saying calling her a "girl" is an example of anti-intersectionalist. Or Man-ti-sectionalist.

I couldnt help but picture Matt and his panel in the theatre of UCD joining the baying mob during this scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

BPKS wrote: »
    As I was reading the usual comical social commentary from Ross O Carroll Kelly in the Irish Times on Saturday I couldnt help but think back to Matt Cooper's Friday Panel.

In UCD, they were impeaching the Sports & Social Club President after she was charged with "micro-aggression". This involved the President being overhead offering a student who lived in a 'socially oppressed' area (Finglas) a drive home. This caused deep offence to the person who overheard the offer of the lift home.

The fella who was offered the lift home stood up and said that he wasnt a bit offended and that the "girl" just offered him a drive home, whats wrong with that?

Straight away the posse turned on the fella, saying calling her a "girl" is an example of anti-intersectionalist. Or Man-ti-sectionalist.

I couldnt help but picture Matt and his panel in the theatre of UCD joining the baying mob during this scene.

Yeah I know, I read RO'CK regularly.

Apparently he apologised for not having a female representative on the Tv3 show he does (I believe according to the thread on the tv page it was about the rail strike)...hes gone far over the lefty SJW side now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

With Susan Keogh filling-in for Matt this week, the phrase "you don't know what you got 'till it's gone" comes to mind. Matt may not be to everyone's liking but he does a good job with the show. I don't how Susan Keogh got the gig this week, I thought Fintan O'Toole usually filled-in for Matt when he's away?

• Advertisement

With Susan Keogh filling-in for Matt this week, the phrase "you don't know what you got 'till it's gone" comes to mind. Matt may not be to everyone's liking but he does a good job with the show. I don't how Susan Keogh got the gig this week, I thought Fintan O'Toole usually filled-in for Matt when he's away?

it was Gavin (can’t remember his surname) was his deputy until he got a role elsewhere

In more recent times it was Hugh Linehan who stood in for him. I presume that's not going to happen as long as Communicorp continue with their ban on Irish Times journalists.

Before that, it was usually Gavin Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

And before that it was Anton Savage!

Problem is, Comnicorp keep falling out with people so the current fill in has to be the ahhhh unmmm annnnd news reader.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    And before that it was Anton Savage!

Problem is, Comnicorp keep falling out with people so the current fill in has to be the ahhhh unmmm annnnd news reader.

Or Louise Duffy would get a promotion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I miss Anton

She is pretty dull to be honest. Seems to be lacking something.

Is she the one that does the 6@6?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I just heard Morrissey's new song Spent the Day in Bed a while ago.

Reminded me of when it was played on The Last Word music slot a few weeks ago. Matt didnt like it because of the message in the song about Stop Watching the News.

NIMAN wrote: »
    She is pretty dull to be honest. Seems to be lacking something.

Is she the one that does the 6@6?

Yep, and the "5@5" too. Those segments are a complete load of ****e, takes them about 15 mins to get through the news, sport, and traffic, where other stations take 5-6 mins. An obvious attempt to get other personalities into the show. A current affairs show such as The Last Word has enough contributors as it is IMO

Yep, and the "5@5" too. Those segments are a complete load of ****e, takes them about 15 mins to get through the news, sport, and traffic, where other stations take 5-6 mins. An obvious attempt to get other personalities into the show. A current affairs show such as The Last Word has enough contributors as it is IMO

I wonder how long the show would last if you took out the repeating news, the 5@5, the 6@6 and the AA Roadwatch?

Oh, forgot the competitions too, they use up a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I miss Anton

What's he up to these days anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Passenger wrote: »
    What's he up to these days anyway?

Back in the communications clinic with his auld lady Terry Prone, he has more than enough to be doing there anyhow

I was actually happy when i heard susan got the gig, no harm to hear a girl do the show for a change but boy was i sorry, every evening i've tuned in this week she was talking about feminism, i mean come on, talk about using your position to push your agenda, the whole week was about feminism, equal pay, womens products, come off it like there needs to balance folks, then the really funny thing, mary kenny a died in the wool feminist came on and actually talked a bit of sense and said about old george bush that if hes pinching a womans botty the woman should hit him a slap and not be making a mountain out of a molehill which i thought was a very good point but of course she was slated for it... gavan reilly is a massive loss to that station, i see they have aideen finnegan now over from 98fm

I was actually happy when i heard susan got the gig, no harm to hear a girl do the show for a change but boy was i sorry, every evening i've tuned in this week she was talking about feminism, i mean come on, talk about using your position to push your agenda, the whole week was about feminism, equal pay, womens products, come off it like there needs to balance folks, then the really funny thing, mary kenny a died in the wool feminist came on and actually talked a bit of sense and said about old george bush that if hes pinching a womans botty the woman should hit him a slap and not be making a mountain out of a molehill which i thought was a very good point but of course she was slated for it... gavan reilly is a massive loss to that station, i see they have aideen finnegan now over from 98fm

Well said, my sentiments exactly. I got that same impression that she was using this opportunity to get on her soap box. Although, if she is merely filling-in on the show, would she really have that much authority to decide on the topics being covered? Regardless, the sooner Matt is back the better!

Well said, my sentiments exactly. I got that same impression that she was using this opportunity to get on her soap box. Although, if she is merely filling-in on the show, would she really have that much authority to decide on the topics being covered? Regardless, the sooner Matt is back the better!

Yes i would have thought the same that the production team would effectively decide on the topics, content etc but it looks to me like Matt gave her free reign which he may now regret because she has totally used the show as a personal soapbox as you rightly say, she obviously has a bee in her bonnet about equal pay and is an out and out feminist and thats fine if she wanted to address those issues on one evening maybe, but not use the whole week of shows as her own personal grievance airing... she even used the motoring slot to find out what she should do if her car breaks down, now it was helpful advice but was clearly designed to help her more than anything else! she even got her good mate louise duffy in on the act one evening doing box set reviews! Matt come back quick!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You are confusing the word "feminist" with "women's interest" but I have to agree, Susan's shows have been very centered around women's interest pieces.

So much so that even for someone like me, who doesn't hate women, I found myself completely losing interest and even getting quite annoyed by the show because it seemed to be designed to specifically exclude the male audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Yes i would have thought the same that the production team would effectively decide on the topics, content etc but it looks to me like Matt gave her free reign which he may now regret because she has totally used the show as a personal soapbox as you rightly say, she obviously has a bee in her bonnet about equal pay and is an out and out feminist and thats fine if she wanted to address those issues on one evening maybe, but not use the whole week of shows as her own personal grievance airing... she even used the motoring slot to find out what she should do if her car breaks down, now it was helpful advice but was clearly designed to help her more than anything else! she even got her good mate louise duffy in on the act one evening doing box set reviews! Matt come back quick!

Why is there a common tendency amongst certain female presenters once they get the reins of a news magazine show to turn it into Women's Hour(s)?

The way coops is going id say he’d be all for it

quintana76 wrote: »
    Why is there a common tendency amongst certain female presenters once they get the reins of a news magazine show to turn it into Women's Hour(s)?

it has turned into a radio version of loose women

The way coops is going id say he’d be all for it

do you think has coops one foot out the door to go full time at tv and newspaper articles? i'd say his workload now is too big

• Advertisement

You are confusing the word "feminist" with "women's interest" but I have to agree, Susan's shows have been very centered around women's interest pieces.

So much so that even for someone like me, who doesn't hate women, I found myself completely losing interest and even getting quite annoyed by the show because it seemed to be designed to specifically exclude the male audience.

Well as i said i was delighted for her when she got the stand in gig, she seems like a bubbly girl but every evening i tuned in i found myself going oh FFS not this feminism/womens interest nonsense again, and yesterday it even ended up with a bunch of feminists all bickering at each other, they couldnt even put on a united front over bum pinching! who wants to listen to that after a long day in work

Advertisement