Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunks

• 01-11-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a huge increase in drunks hanging around and openly drinking cans etc at top of High Street/Mainguard st.?
    I've passed here a couple of times over the past few weeks around lunchtime and there is always 5 or 6 lads having the craic sitting on the window sills of Evergreen opposite the Kings Head.
    I assume the staff in Evergreen call the guards about it but they are always there. I know I could call Mill street too but you would imagine the Gardai would be doing passes here every hour or so, or is that a case of maybe it is just once a day?
    We have a nice city and that is probably the main hub for tourists etc passing down the town. What am I missing here that they are allowed to stay there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a huge increase in drunks hanging around and openly drinking cans etc at top of High Street/Mainguard st.?
    I've passed here a couple of times over the past few weeks around lunchtime and there is always 5 or 6 lads having the craic sitting on the window sills of Evergreen opposite the Kings Head.
    I assume the staff in Evergreen call the guards about it but they are always there. I know I could call Mill street too but you would imagine the Gardai would be doing passes here every hour or so, or is that a case of maybe it is just once a day?
    We have a nice city and that is probably the main hub for tourists etc passing down the town. What am I missing here that they are allowed to stay there??

Its the usual homeless people/people with mental health problems around there. That's their usual stoop, some of them been setting up there for a couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, the lads are there alright. There have been some new-to-me faces on the street alright, but I'm not sure if it's more or just different people.

Not much point in anyone calling the guards: the lads will just be fined (money they haven't got) for drinking in public, and be back in place again in a few hours time.

If they are making you feel unsafe, it's a different story. Definitely call then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Yes, the lads are there alright. There have been some new-to-me faces on the street alright, but I'm not sure if it's more or just different people.

Not much point in anyone calling the guards: the lads will just be fined (money they haven't got) for drinking in public, and be back in place again in a few hours time.

If they are making you feel unsafe, it's a different story. Definitely call then.
    Definitely new faces and more than before. Not making me feel unsafe although I would give them a wide berth the same as the other usual people to avoid around the place. They did give my little girl a fright though today with shouting at each other and why I said I'd say it here. I don't want them fined as they have enough problems. I think getting them to do it in a less prominent area would be a good idea. I just don't understand why they are tolerated there by gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Definitely new faces and more than before. Not making me feel unsafe although I would give them a wide berth the same as the other usual people to avoid around the place. They did give my little girl a fright though today with shouting at each other and why I said I'd say it here. I don't want them fined as they have enough problems. I think getting them to do it in a less prominent area would be a good idea. I just don't understand why they are tolerated there by gardai.

You could contact a local city councilor and maybe the chamber of commerce if you don't want to go to AGS.

Ultimately if they affect the viability of businesses with their loutish behavior the city will suffer.

View them as an opportunity - some of them are a salient lesson in why not to use drugs.

One of the older gents is from a well off family, university educated at a time when that was rare. Was into the rave scene back in the day and took a bad acid trip which fried his brain and that's where he is now. His family have to commit him to the mental health unit every few months when he becomes too unstable. On his good days you can see his intelligence and education. On his bad days I guess he could be a danger to at least himself.

• Advertisement

I just don't understand why they are tolerated there by gardai.

Because that's where the CCTV cameras which are monitored from Mill St are covering.

If the lads went to a quieter area, they would be more threatening to other citizens who had to do things there, due to less passive surveillance. And it would be harder for the guards to keep an eye on them.

Because that's where the CCTV cameras which are monitored from Mill St are covering.

If the lads went to a quieter area, they would be more threatening to other citizens who had to do things there, due to less passive surveillance. And it would be harder for the guards to keep an eye on them.
    think-of-the-children1.jpg

There's two new groups knocking around now.

A group of locals(mainly younger from a scrote background) who don't really frequent anywhere in particular though often around the Arch or Square.

But also there's now a group of 6-8 lads of a Roma looking origin mass begging around town in tandem.

We can't do much about the first group but the second batch needs to be ran out of town.

I counted 6 of them on the short walk from Eglinton Street down Shop St two weeks ago. Every single one with the same white sign in front of them.
    The most obvious case of organised begging you'll find.

A few from that group seem to be hanging around drinking with the first group or being a nuisance in general elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A meeting of Latin Quarter and Shop St traders in regards to the issue is planned for next week I'm led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Ludikrus

I don't think that's a good enough reason for them to be on our main tourist and retail thoroughfare. They can go under a bridge where they won't bother anyone.

• Advertisement

Ludikrus wrote: »
    I don't think that's a good enough reason for them to be on our main tourist and retail thoroughfare. They can go under a bridge where they won't bother anyone.

Which bridge specifically do you have in mind?

Which bridge specifically do you have in mind?

Make them go anywhere but the city centre. It would be pretty simple for the gardai to keep them away from there. Glad to hear something being done with local businesses. Amazing that the gardai are going to have to be forced to do their job.

• Curious, under what law can they be forced to relocate and not return.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/bye-laws Regulation & Control of the Consumption of Intoxicating Liquor Bye Laws 2015 should be used to force to relocate and then keep it up for a day or two and they would be gone... Somewhere else I suppose just not on a main Street in open view of piblic/kids/visitors....

Out of sight, out of mind. That'll teach em to be homeless or mentally ill.

Out of sight, out of mind. That'll teach em to be homeless or mentally ill.

So do you think that because they have mental issues they should be left alone and go drinking all day til they are out of their minds drunk in the middle of the city centre with kids etc walking around. ..... Crazy

Where, specially, is it ok for them to go?

Also, where do you draw the line? One of the best buskers, who's been on TV and all, has been known to have cans with his mates on the street. Is he ok to stay or not?

I agree with the principle of clamping down on disorderly behaviour, but the reality for some is that they're off the street for a couple of hours and then go right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

So do you think that because they have mental issues they should be left alone and go drinking all day til they are out of their minds drunk in the middle of the city centre with kids etc walking around. ..... Crazy

If we're going to use public resources for these people, I'd rather it was social workers etc to help them and not gardai to herd them from location to location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I guess this is where two debates meet.

How public spaces should be managed.
    How people with problems should be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭thesandeman

It's front page of tomorrow's City Tribune.

• Advertisement

Noticed a group back having a good time outside evergreen shop again opposite the Kings head with one of them being a very loud drunk woman. Anyways, it was around 3 o clock Saturday afternoon and went around them with our kids to Auntie Nellie Sweet Shop. As they were getting their sweets, I was looking out the doorway and could see down the Malt House Lane. The drunk woman went down the lane squatted down and relieved herself....3 o clock in the afternoon. Another Blitz needed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Noticed a group back having a good time outside evergreen shop again opposite the Kings head with one of them being a very loud drunk woman. Anyways, it was around 3 o clock Saturday afternoon and went around them with our kids to Auntie Nellie Sweet Shop. As they were getting their sweets, I was looking out the doorway and could see down the Malt House Lane. The drunk woman went down the lane squatted down and relieved herself....3 o clock in the afternoon. Another Blitz needed

Plenty around in city centre haunts, was a group down by library for a couple of months, now down beside Augi church, Evergreen, back of Jurys car park , generally no bother but could be intimidating to some. Doesnt look great , but nowhere near as bad as the Eyre Square days 80s and 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Public urination is not a pleasan sight. But it's by no means a new thing. We just seem to be extra shocked if it's a woman doing it - I don't see why. Spot fines for weeing in public. Walk down the street at 2 AM and noone bothers ducking down Malt House lane in attempt at discretion. I think it's just a spot of good weather and the 'gang' are more visible and outside more.

Advertisement