Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Think it took me about 7 days to get it back. I’d hold off booking just Incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

any cliff notes for this thread ? Is this visa still available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

any cliff notes for this thread ? Is this visa still available ?

Yes. You must enter the lottery this month/early next.
    You have about 1/100 chance (each year) to get selected for interview.

At the moment dvlottery.state.gov is having technical issues, and any entry this month is voided until the issue is fixed (later this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

fleet wrote: »
    Yes. You must enter the lottery this month/early next.
    You have about 1/100 chance (each year) to get selected for interview.

At the moment dvlottery.state.gov is having technical issues, and any entry this month is voided until the issue is fixed (later this week).

1/100 chance? I didn't think the chances were even that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Raelyn Hot Magenta

It's probably closer to about 0.5%.

This will likely increase up to around 2%, if Trump's new proposals ever get passed. In recent years Afg, Iran, Ukr and other old Easter Block states typically got the most Visas (thousands each) whereas Ire got just circa 140.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

For Ireland in 2015 (for example) there were 157 people picked from 7,298 entrants, so 0.02% chance that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Just had someone ask me about the entry process. There only appears to be one page on the online form this year, with name, age, dob, education level and a photo upload. Have they done away with the questions about the number of years you submitted entries prior to this etc?

For Ireland in 2015 (for example) there were 157 people picked from 7,298 entrants, so 0.02% chance that year.

157/7298 = 0.02151
    x 100 == 2.2%

The "percent" bit means per hundred :-)

157/7298 = 0.02151
    x 100 == 2.2%

That sounds about right, 2.15127432173198% chance approx.

So you could almost nearly guarantee a solid good chance, after roughly 46.48407643312105 attempts.

e.g. Start at 18 and assume success a few months after your 64th birthday, just in time for retirement, brilliant.

157/7298 = 0.02151
    x 100 == 2.2%

Doh! Thanks for correcting my (obvious) mistake.

• Advertisement

e.g. Start at 18 and assume success a few months after your 64th birthday, just in time for retirement, brilliant.

Another way to look at it is: start at 18 and by 27, finished college, saved a few quid you'd have had a 1 in 5 chance. One in two by the time you hit 41. Not bad frankly. Throw in other avenues, sponsorship, alternatives such as Canada, Australia or more exciting Asian countries and you're basically guaranteed to get permanent residency somewhere warm (except Canada!) outside Ireland if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Another way to look at it is: start at 18 and by 27, finished college, saved a few quid you'd have had a 1 in 5 chance. One in two by the time you hit 41. Not bad frankly. Throw in other avenues, sponsorship, alternatives such as Canada, Australia or more exciting Asian countries and you're basically guaranteed to get permanent residency somewhere warm (except Canada!) outside Ireland if you want it.

Seriously lads...get the other half interested and have them apply too. Double your odds.

Or just pull an American bird on a night out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

jme2010 wrote: »
    Or just pull an American bird on a night out :D

Tell me how I do this?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

oB1 wrote: »
    Tell me how I do this?! :D

Simple. Step 1. Let her know you are Irish in your best Irish brogue. Step 2. Green Card Marriage. :P

Trump today called on Congress to immediately dismantle the State Department's Diversity Visa Lottery program, through which authorities have said the suspected attacker, Sayfullo Saipov, came to the United States from Uzbekistan.

Trump today called on Congress to immediately dismantle the State Department's Diversity Visa Lottery program, through which authorities have said the suspected attacker, Sayfullo Saipov, came to the United States from Uzbekistan.

Just going to post about it. Knee jerk reaction and a half to say the least. Wonder if he'll re-invent it with severe restrictions for certain countries.

Berserker wrote: »
    Just going to post about it. Knee jerk reaction and a half to say the least. Wonder if he'll re-invent it with severe restrictions for certain countries.

Considering places like Ubez and Iran have been some of the biggest benefactors, perhaps they should consider assessing 'integrative potential' along of course with 'diversity'.

Many folks think Aussies have the perfect model: points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Any point applying this year

cena wrote: »
    Any point applying this year

Might be the right year to apply. He is going to focus his ire at "Muslim" countries. They'll get chopped from the program for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Berserker wrote: »

Ireland have been very lucky even being allowed enter the DV lottery all these years.

People from the UK cannot and they are no more or no less diverse than ourselves.

• Advertisement

Ireland have been very lucky even being allowed enter the DV lottery all these years.

People from the UK cannot and they are no more or no less diverse than ourselves.

Don't think they can change the allowances per country this year as it's already running, so too late.

One likely outcome would be that the whole programme is suspended indefinably. But future years may see changes

The largest recipients from the recent Obama administration e.g. DV2015 have been some of the trouble hotspots:

UKRAINE 4,679
    UZBEKISTAN 4,368
    TURKEY 3,688
    KAZAKHSTAN 772
    IRAN 4,992
    LEBANON 408
    SAUDI ARABIA 517
    EGYPT 4,988
    MOROCCO 2,844
    CONGO 4,943
    SIERRA LEONE 2,182
    ETHIOPIA 4,988

Some people from the UK can apply (NI), but Britain/GB itself can't.

The largest historical ethnic group in the US is of German descent, not Irish, and they still can apply, and do well.

Irish perhaps has more 'cultural enrichment' offerings than the UK, as it has it's own language, music and a more unique culture. The UK is very much Americanised and 'culturally watered down' due to mass immigration, unless you include things such as Maypole/Morris dancing.

GERMANY 1,354
    IRELAND 157(s) 41(n)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump has no hope of being re-elected at this rate. What next, will he try take away the rights of Americans to marry anyone other than an American ? Maybe stop interracial marriages too.

Trump has no hope of being re-elected at this rate. What next, will he try take away the rights of Americans to marry anyone other than an American ? Maybe stop interracial marriages too.

No hope? He's the clear, outright favourite at the moment (@3.5) for 2020. Worth keeping an eye on the Facebook boy: Zuckerberg @34. Hilary, if you must is @41.

Essentially they gave a green card to a lad that decided as gratitude to mow down some innocent civilians. So perhaps the program needs looked at, particularly background checking and dispersion among the (x200circa countries) that apply.

Only x18circa countries can't apply, so not as if diversity will cease by adding a handful more to this figure.

If he's up against Hilary or a similar candidate, I'd wager that he has a very good chance of being re-elected. Disbanding this program is not going to make a difference to your average American citizen.

People from NI can apply this year and I pretty sure they could apply last year. The rest of the UK maxed out on their allocation, 50K in the previous five years. Here is the official line.
    For DV-2019, natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply, because more than 50,000 natives of these countries immigrated to the United States in the previous five years:

Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.

Persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan are eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

I work with over 150 Americans and not one has ever heard of the DV program. They literally thought I just applied for a visa and moved my family over, no hassles and thought it was as simple as that. Until I told them what it was and that it was literally impossible for an average joe to move over they where all dumbfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Hi all,

So I'm not sure if this has been dealt with in the thread already, and I apologise if it has.
    I'm in a tad bit of a tricky situation in the wholly unlikely change I get called for interview.

There's a decent chance I'll be doing a two year masters on the continent starting September 2018, so say if like most successful applicants I get jan-april 2019 interview/issuance could I travel to activate over the 2019 summer (May-September), and then return to finish the masters from September to May?

Obviously if I was successful I would take the green card and drop out but I would want to avoid that as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Yes, you can do it. I went to US for 2 weeks, came back to IE and lived for few months and then finally moved to US.
    If you know your number you can estimate the date you're going to be called for an interview. Jan-April is very early and indicates a low number, as far as I remember mine was over 30,000 and I had an interview in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Im presuming the next lotto doesn't open till next year?

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    Im presuming the next lotto doesn't open till next year?

The lotto is closed for applications for the current year, I believe, so yes. It may be reformed significantly or even scrapped next year, fyi.

• Advertisement

According to CNN, Trump has offered a path to citizenship for up to 1.8 million illegal immigrants (primarily DACA recipients) in exchange for (amongst other things) abolition of the DV.

Advertisement