Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They could have downloaded those netflix shows to a laptop/phone/tablet which wouldn't need the electricity to keep going so it's not that ridiculous. The shops were closed for the day, most people have enough drinks and food in their house to last them a day so it's not a big deal. It's not like there was a real risk that they would be completely cut off with no access to food, water and supplies and all they were concerned about was their netflix. I don't see what's so laughable about downloading some tv shows to keep you entertained during a potential power cut. I think it would be more ridiculous if people who weren't living in very remote areas were out stocking up on days worth of supplies just for this storm.

Some people are looking at up to 10 days without power. How long do phone, tablet, laptop batteries last without charging? Doubt you'd get through too much Netflix without power, regardless of what you're watching it on.
    I didn't say people should be out panic buying tinned food but filling a few flasks with water, getting some freezer blocks frozen to save anything in the fridge, pre cooking something for dinner etc. seems slightly more logical thinking than downloading Netflix.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some people are looking at up to 10 days without power. How long do phone, tablet, laptop batteries last without charging? Doubt you'd get through too much Netflix without power, regardless of what you're watching it on.
    I didn't say people should be out panic buying tinned food but filling a few flasks with water, getting some freezer blocks frozen to save anything in the fridge, pre cooking something for dinner etc. seems slightly more logical thinking than downloading Netflix.

I doubt anyone was downloading 10 days worth of TV shows, they probably just downloaded enough for a few hours at best. Most people who lost power got it back within a day so if they were unlucky to lose power, chances are it would be back the next day if not a few hours later. Why bother pre-cooking food? They probably have cupboards full of food that doesn't need to be cooked. If the power goes, they can just eat that instead.

Not saying your advice is bad, I just don't see what's so ridiculous about downloading a few movies incase of a power cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

a power bank, the cars also have connections for charging up the smaller electronics,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not saying your advice is bad, I just don't see what's so ridiculous about downloading a few movies incase of a power cut.

I don't think it's ridiculous to download a few films, I just think it's funny that for a lot of people it seemed to be their first concern. Then again a lot of people post things on social media fishing for likes so they may have been exaggerating their priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

430970.png
    Ophelia storm surge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I had a rant in AH thread about employers attitude to the storm. Mine was appalling,they let staff go to work and even after arguments with management they were still reticent to let staff home with many having to travel to rural areas.Staff eventually started to leave as the storm was beginning to peak.
    My manager had a very blasé opinion about it and said work could have went on as we never lost power.

your manager hasn't much between the ears so.. pity for you to have to work for someone like that.. They warnings were only go out unless necessary. Unless you do life saving work no job is worth risking anything for. I went in to work at 5 am to get everything done and was home at 10.30. I have fex hours so it was not too bad but manger rang at 11 to say I could go home . I said I was already. I travel on alot of backroads

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

Possible fake news?
    "Black rain" reported in Estonia due to Ophelia (????)
    https://actualidad.rt.com/viral/253097-fotos-caer-estonia-lluvia-negra

By sure the photo is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Sea Foam in West Cork after the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

We were all let to believe. Folks on Inish Bofin didn't notice anything. I, purely by mistake, left my empty refuse bin outside (I took absolutely everything else inside) and it did not move a quarter of an inch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nabber wrote: »
    Sea Foam in West Cork after the storm

Euww, that's revolting!

Any idea where that is?

ETA - found it - Castlefreke.

• Advertisement

jumpjack wrote: »
    Possible fake news?
    "Black rain" reported in Estonia due to Ophelia (????)
    https://actualidad.rt.com/viral/253097-fotos-caer-estonia-lluvia-negra

By sure the photo is fake.
    I suppose if it brought down Saharan dust over much of the UK & Ireland, it's perfectly possible for it to bring down soot from all the coal & other industrial pollution over northern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'll never get over the fact that there are Chemtrail and Haarp freaks sitting in Germany seeing in Ophelia a man-made storm that had the pure target of causing havoc in Ireland because we don't obey certain rules from the NWO.
    Can I punch these folks?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LirW wrote: »
    I'll never get over the fact that there are Chemtrail and Haarp freaks sitting in Germany seeing in Ophelia a man-made storm that had the pure target of causing havoc in Ireland because we don't obey certain rules from the NWO.
    Can I punch these folks?

Reminds me of a video I seen ages ago. Some guy who doesn't believe that the moon landings happened was harassing Buzz Aldrin and calling him a liar. Buzz punched him right in his face. It was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

LirW wrote: »
    Can I punch these folks?

I like conspiracy theorists. They think outside the box, they're passionate, dedicated to their cause ! Most of the time of course the theories are nuts, but I admire how they have the guts and conviction to share them, and the ability to assess a situation from a completely different perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I suppose if it brought down Saharan dust over much of the UK & Ireland, it's perfectly possible for it to bring down soot from all the coal & other industrial pollution over northern Europe.

It was smoke from the bush fires in northern Iberia not Saharan dust that made the sky orange in UK. Whatch Ophelia's track on satelite and you can see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

power back! We had no electricity, water, phone or internet (wired or wireless) for 71 hours and 11 mins. Happy again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

BailMeOut wrote: »
    power back! We had no electricity, water, phone or internet (wired or wireless) for 71 hours and 11 mins. Happy again!

How did you manage with your fridge freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Doltanian wrote: »

on Sunday night I put a bunch of freezer packs in freezer (I have loads of them) and moved them one by one from freezer to the fridge while power was our. We lived off Cully and Sully soup and ham sandwiches for the three days.

I did however make a huge rookie mistake on Sunday night and forgot to fill up the baths with water. I had every other vessel I could find filled but you should always fill the baths and us this water for flushing the toilets.

Other than that we were very well prepared with batteries, a radio and lots of candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Doltanian wrote: »
    With a little help from hamsters? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I like conspiracy theorists. They think outside the box, they're passionate, dedicated to their cause ! Most of the time of course the theories are nuts, but I admire how they have the guts and conviction to share them, and the ability to assess a situation from a completely different perspective.

A perspective that is usually void of any logical reasoning or critical thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Not for long.

Storm 'Awfeelia' is coming tomorrow night.

A direct quote from the eye of the storm: "Ireland, this time it's personal"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Am I the only one having difficulties with displaying last post of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Some times they are right just like some people win the lotto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

https://flic.kr/p/ZvDzUA

Ophelia- centre of low on top lhs more or less over the limerick area pointing westbound

ohhh enjoy ! Best feeling I'd say.

I'm still without power since Monday, and earliest estimated due date Sunday evening :(
    I'm hoping it might come back tomorrow as a surprise.

There's no hope for my freezer, but thankfully I've a gaz cooker so I salvaged a few things the first few days.

MadYaker wrote: »
    A perspective that is usually void of any logical reasoning or critical thinking.

Some of the perspectives have logic it's just that your frame of reference is different because you accept certain facts as true.

It seems to make other people feel great to show disdain for conspiracy theorists. Fair enough, if that's what rocks your boat. I usually lose interest in the theories quickly as they get so convoluted, and some are outrageous and funny, or politico-boring, but I like to read them sometimes, as you'd read science fiction and think : "wow, maybe some it really will happen".
    Joe Public wrote: »
    Some times they are right just like some people win the lotto

Can't make out if that's sarcasm but I agree :)

Geoengineering is not really science "fiction" anymore though is it ?
    And whatever might be going on wouldn't be a very public activity either.
    Perfect fodder for a good ol' CT on weather tampering for political and economic or simply power gains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

My electricity came back about 24 hours ago but I know a good few people who are still without it. They are getting seriously worried that with this new storm that's forecast to hit tomorrow that they will be waiting until after the weekend before they have it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ohhh enjoy ! Best feeling I'd say.

I'm still without power since Monday, and earliest estimated due date Sunday evening :(
    I'm hoping it might come back tomorrow as a surprise.

There's no hope for my freezer, but thankfully I've a gaz cooker so I salvaged a few things the first few days.

Have you insurance? That should cover any loses you made if it is much like food etc.

Am sure the ESB and the other crews working to get the power back are working as quick as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

In relation to the numerous old trees, some of them rotten, which overhang onto roadways and beside esb lines in certain areas, local authorities and Electric Ireland actually have powers to deal with this. They can give notice to the owner requiring them to cut or prune the tree. If the owner fails to comply, they have authority to carry out the work and charge the owner. However there are numerous dangerous trees all over the country which inevitably blow down in each storm and cause outages. Could not the authorities remove dangerous overhanging trees before they fall down and possibly kill people?

A bit of maintenance goes a long way. Its like when people say the Shannon should be dredged whenever it floods, but it never is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

maryishere wrote: »
    In relation to the numerous old trees, some of them rotten, which overhang onto roadways and beside esb lines in certain areas, local authorities and Electric Ireland actually have powers to deal with this. They can give notice to the owner requiring them to cut or prune the tree. If the owner fails to comply, they have authority to carry out the work and charge the owner. However there are numerous dangerous trees all over the country which inevitably blow down in each storm and cause outages. Could not the authorities remove dangerous overhanging trees before they fall down and possibly kill people?

A bit of maintenance goes a long way. Its like when people say the Shannon should be dredged whenever it floods, but it never is.

At Force 10 and over - any tree can potentially come down. During Darwin many trees were literally snapped in half due to the force of the wind.

But yes remedial work on damaged trees- such as limb loss may help trees survive subsequent storms. Trees are subject to the laws of physics and where force overcomes resistance something has to give.

Felling licenses must also be applied for mature trees as they are currently protected by legislation .

The ESB have an ongoing pruning programme for vegetation near powerlines. Landowners have a responsibility for trees adjacent to roadways.

Like the dredging the Shannon - a mass cutting down of trees is unlikley to happen mainly due to the scale and costs which are hugely probibitive and the benefits which are at best questionable considering that high winds can potentially take down any tree.

Advertisement