Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I think taking the day off is perfectly understandable.

But expecting to get paid to stay home is a bit much,especially if the business was open.

If i was the owner I'd take your wage for day and split it between the staff who did come in as a bonus.

Wouldn't hold it against you as a negative either though its a tough choice to make. I just would not pay you for it.

Would you go away. A bonus for a greedy company and rewarding idiotic colleagues who didn't heed government advice during a national emergency and stay home? I live in Cork which got the brunt of the storm and amongst the worst damage in the country.

Fwiw, I wanted to use a days holidays, but I'm not allowed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cork was always in the red zone, as far as I know, so what your boss is doing is very very ****ty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Leo Varadkar knows nothing about Force Majeure leave.

It does not apply to weather anomalies, unless your family member got into emergency situation because of that.

Some will get paid, some will have to work it, or won't get paid.

Unless Leo himself make changes to the rules governing this type of leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

But expecting to get paid to stay home is a bit much,especially if the business was open.

If i was the owner I'd take your wage for day and split it between the staff who did come in as a bonus.

Wouldn't hold it against you as a negative either though its a tough choice to make. I just would not pay you for it.

How not to build a team ethos.

Wow, so you would incentivise staff to ignore the warnings and risk their safety for the sake of your bottom line. Nobody should have been going to work yesterday except the emergency services, but people like the poor man in Dundalk did it because many employers didn't have the decency to just close up for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A lot of people would have been fine getting to work in the morning, and home again in the evening, depending on where they were in the country. The problem with this poor guy that died was that they sent him home in the middle of the day, right around the time the storm was predicted to be at it's worst around the general Dublin area. Now I don't know what the company or his bosses did or didn't say to staff but if I was running a company and decided to bring people in I would have told them to stay the whole day, especially given the storm was due to be much further north by the usual clocking off time 5 or 6 in the evening.

A lot of people would have been fine getting to work in the morning, and home again in the evening, depending on where they were in the country. The problem with this poor guy that died was that they sent him home in the middle of the day, right around the time the storm was predicted to be at it's worst around the general Dublin area. Now I don't know what the company or his bosses did or didn't say to staff but if I was running a company and decided to bring people in I would have told them to stay the whole day, especially given the storm was due to be much further north by the usual clocking off time 5 or 6 in the evening.

Wouldn't the sensible thing be to adhere to the red alert warnings and not bring staff in at all? I honestly don't understand why people would second guess the experts with this "ah sure it's grand" nonsense. It wasn't, for a whole lot of people. And for those that got through it ok, was it not better to be on the safe side and then appreciate that it didn't cause any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

maryishere wrote: »
    they did not though.
    windguru forecasts for parts of the county showed gusts of only 90 kph, which proved correct.

Are you serious??? "Only 90 kph??? .. Really!

You do know that at 90 kph trees get blown down and considerable damage can occur (source: Force 10 - Beaufort Scale)

Stand in front of car travelling ing at 90 kph and see what it will do to you if you are brave enough...

All the fatal in indents during Ophalia were tree related .

I can only presume you are trolling tbh ...

Friend of mine in Waterford works for a day centre, even though all the users were told to stay home she was still expected to be in to do paperwork for the day. She took it off as annual leave, her spot in Waterford got an awful battering, said she was very scared at points and the power was down for a few hours! Couldn't believe how irresponsible some employers were expecting people to travel to work in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Cork was always in the red zone, as far as I know, so what your boss is doing is very very ****ty

I am in Cork and we are all getting paid for taking the day off. We were all told to stay at home. I work for a big multinational though so I’m guessing they have procedures for paying staff for this sort of thing...

Half my team at work still have no power. Some of them have no water. Came across lots of fallen trees, broken walls etc on the way to work this morning. Also saw a good few roofs being fixed when I was on the way home. Cork got some battering! I was very lucky. We are in a fairly sheltered spot.

If the people on this thread complaining about the fuss over the storm came for a visit down here this morning they would probably change their minds..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Wouldn't the sensible thing be to adhere to the red alert warnings and not bring staff in at all? I honestly don't understand why people would second guess the experts with this "ah sure it's grand" nonsense. It wasn't, for a whole lot of people. And for those that got through it ok, was it not better to be on the safe side and then appreciate that it didn't cause any hassle?

I agree, better to be safe than sorry, all I'm saying is that any company that did bring their staff in but then changed their mind should have recommended their staff remain in the office, shop, whatever, until the storm had passed, assuming the building they're in is secure. At the very least they should have checked the time frames given for the storm hitting and not sent them out into the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Friend of mine in Waterford works for a day centre, even though all the users were told to stay home she was still expected to be in to do paperwork for the day. She took it off as annual leave, her spot in Waterford got an awful battering, said she was very scared at points and the power was down for a few hours! Couldn't believe how irresponsible some employers were expecting people to travel to work in that.

Gusts of 70kph started in waterford city very early on in the morning. I think I saw one for 6am or so. By 12.27 we were up to 109.3. All radio stations were running the warning every 15 mins. "people are advised to stay at home, no unnecessary travel or other outdoor activities" TV was running updates. I under stand emergency services had to go out in that but joe bloggs voluntarily heading out and employers expecting people to go out in that was nuts, even irresponsible because if anything happened you were then putting the lives of other people at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Our sky dish has moved . Is there a thread on boards about problems with Sky ?
    I rang today but can't get through . Wondering is there a call out charge for them to get up on the roof or does subscription cover costs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I see SDCC report 90-100 trees down in their area - they're just one of four local authorities in Dublin. Fake news I guess since it was just that one tree felled in Clondalkin and a total non-event according certain experts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Our sky dish has moved . Is there a thread on boards about problems with Sky ?
    I rang today but can't get through . Wondering is there a call out charge for them to get up on the roof or does subscription cover costs ?

In the last storm my dish moved, sky q system, and we logged a call and 10 days later an egr came out and sorted without a call fee.

Thank god it didnt move yesterday, the egr the last time took it from the roof & refixed it to the gable end with plenty of brackets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Our sky dish has moved . Is there a thread on boards about problems with Sky?

Excellent thread here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1598

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My suspicion is that there would be more serious complaints the other way round, especially for Dublin, had they gone county by county with how the models were showing the outcome (on Saturday when the decision was made) Dublin to an experienced forecaster would be looking part red (level 3) and part orange (level 2) which I think legally means you have to choose level 3, same goes for some other counties, if you think any part will sustain level 3 then you have to apply that to the whole county. The system is not designed to be broken down into smaller geographical units and at some point you can see where random outcomes would overwhelm any effort to be 100% precise.

But some people seem to be missing the point that the large-scale red warning was chosen to avoid having people travelling from places that might have gotten orange warnings into areas that would have red warning conditions. This happens a lot when some people make the mistake of thinking that the forecast for their location will apply to all locations along a route they propose to travel. When the boundary between red and orange seems to be running somewhat patchwork quilt style through a heavily populated region like central Leinster then perhaps you have to err on the side of caution.

A red warning was certainly justified for Kildare and probably for coastal areas of Dublin, Meath and Louth, so you had maybe a wedge in between that remained orange -- difficult to see how that can be applied to such things as education systems that are administered county wide. You obviously have to go with the stronger warning, you can't say well some will be fine so let's keep them all open.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Only have power and internet to post here thanks to a local supermacs. :P Power down, no water and a massive amount of trees down around our area on the border of Limerick/Tipp. Kind of unbelievable that UL was basically pushing for people like me to come in by running things today, the road was totally blocked until later today... I know they said attendance wasn't necessary today and that people who couldn't get anywhere wouldn't be "disadvantaged" but surely just the act of running lectures/tutorials and labs puts us at a disadvantage in the first place? Seems like the only reason they would close is if a tree hit a building...

That's my complaint anyway and I know it's not the end of the world. Schools right to stay closed just so people could assess damage, may not have been necessary in some parts of the country but it's a total of 12 hours they've lost, not the end of the world and easily repaid later.

One concern that's not just a first world problem with my uni is that we have a neighbour who requires the power to be back up pretty quick now (medical equipment), ESB seems to be racing to get it back up for our area due to that (there were vans checking the area last night when the worst had past and a few hours ago a convoy of trucks arrived), hopefully they can make swift work of getting power to those people who need it most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Has anyone looked at the cost of the blanket warning?

Having the entire nation at home and not working must have had a massive economic impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

holy god what a post.. Run a business.. You'd not run a bath with an attitude like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Well done to the ESB, I can't praise them enough. We were without electricity (North Clare) for only five hours yesterday before they fixed

the fault and we were back on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The ESB rock :)
    And with the help of those 2 'volunteers' handling live wires and shimmying up poles with no harness's we'll have power back in no time at-all at-all....

YES YOU'VE GUESSED WHO THE VOLUNTEERS ARE!?: The 2 lads who were jumping of the pier in Galway at the height of the storm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gerryirl wrote: »
    holy god what a post.. Run a business.. You'd not run a bath with an attitude like that
    I think there are quite a few business owners like that out there :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Has anyone looked at the cost of the blanket warning?

Having the entire nation at home and not working must have had a massive economic impact?

Mod Note: Just not going there!

It's irrelevant, especially to a weather forum, if economic cost needs to be weighed up/debated vs. saving lives/injury.

There has been enough debate in here today on related matters without going down this (side) route.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

spookwoman wrote: »
    I think there are quite a few business owners like that out there :mad:

They tend not to stay in business too long though

Saving lives and preventing injury is The most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I just want to say a big thank you to those of you who posted charts and kept us up to date with the latest information on ex-hurricane Ophelia. I had been watching MT's thread avidly since it started on the 11th, and by extension the preparation threads etc also.

It allowed me to alert people who ordinarily might have missed the forecasted weather, and for those that knew of it I was able to drill it into some how bad things could potentially get. It meant we were all in the know well enough in advance to make sure we had prepared with our candles, torches, food and water to avoid having to go out at all yesterday, as we were advised.

While 3 people unfortunately lost their lives yesterday, I'm confident that the red warning given for Ireland avoided a lot more injuries, tragedies, and even further pressure on emergency services.

But as I said, thanks again to those who took the time to post charts and forecast predictions within the weather forum. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Aineoil wrote: »
    Saving lives and preventing injury is The most important thing.

any reports of injuries?

A big thank you to M.T. Cranium. Very informed posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Well got home to find the electricity was back. Heating on, had a hot shower and a hot meal so the bad mood has lifted. No internet yet (besides using my phone as a hotspot) but I won't complain. Well done to the ESB. And thanks to everyone here. I was more prepared that I would have been otherwise.

I can't imagine what it will be life for the people who will be without electricity for up to 10 days. I was cracking up with it gone for just 2 days

Advertisement