Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

That's really weird, I was just looking at a few clips from Sopranos last night on youtube, something I haven't done in years, and just before I went off to bed I watched an interview with Frank Vincent talking about his time on the Sopranos.

RIP Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Harry Dean Stanton died yesterday, aged 91. He had a great TV and movie career, most recently seen in Twin Peaks.

MV5BMTkyMDYyMTQ2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjU2NjE0._V1_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

The Memory Man, Jimmy Magee, RIP

RIP. Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Let's not forget that Jimmy was, for a time, a Channel 4 personality too - thanks to that channel's GAA highlights show on Saturday mornings.

William G. Stewart, host of quiz show Fifteen to One on Channel 4, has passed away. He was 84.

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a838715/william-g-stewart-fifteen-to-one-dies/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Presenting a game show was probably the least of William G Stewart's achievements in the tv industry. As a producer he was behind Father, Dear Father, Love Thy Neighbour (cough!), Bless This House, My Good Woman, Spooner's Patch, The Rag Trade, Family Fortunes, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and The Price is Right and had his own company.

Gutted to hear of William G Stewart's passing. And so soon after Brucie's, too. :(:(:(:(

I was, and still am, a huge fan of the original Fifteen-to-One. Among its many great moments was Bill McKaig's maximum 433 score in 1999:

There was also this out-take where William dropped his question cards. Incidentally, the contestant at number 7 is future Millionaire winner Ingram Wilcox. :D

And, of course, he mentioned the Elgin Marbles whenever he could - being a fervent supporter of the campaign to return them to Greece. ;)

In its early years, Fifteen-to-One alternated with Countdown every three months, before Channel 4 quite rightly decided to commission them concurrently from autumn 1996. Not surprisingly, Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman were among the contestants on a celebrity edition of FTO in 1990, while William chaired a game of Countdown between Richard and Carol at Christmas 1997... :D

Susie hasn't changed a bit, has she? :D;)

Turning to the shows William produced, he'd always get the Price is Right studio audience excited by playing "Land of Hope and Glory" at full volume while wearing a pink tracksuit. No, seriously. :D:D

And on Family Fortunes, he actually had a role in the Turkey Incident. After the recording finished, the understandably embarrassed Johnson family asked Max Bygraves how much money would be taken not to broadcast the show. Max consulted William, who then had to explain to the family that each episode cost £38,000 to make. They wisely chose not to pursue the matter further... :D

The word "legend" is overused these days - but I don't think it can be denied that William was one.

He will be greatly missed. :(

• Advertisement

Presenting a game show was probably the least of William G Stewart's achievements in the tv industry. As a producer he was behind Father, Dear Father, Love Thy Neighbour (cough!), Bless This House, My Good Woman, Spooner's Patch, The Rag Trade, Family Fortunes, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and The Price is Right and had his own company.

Never realised just exactly what he did other than 15-1- such a huge backlog of TV memories there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He was married to Sally Geeson as well,who played the daughter in Bless This House!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tony Booth has also passed away today ('Til Death Us Do Part)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41400441

Not only the father of Cherie Blair, but also was in the early days of Coronation Street and married to Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner) for a short while before her death in 1986

RIP

Liz Dawn AKA Vera Duckworth also dead at 77. She was on the Street for 34 years I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bobby Knutt, who appeared in Emmerdale and more recently in Benidorm passed away yesterday. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-41387455

Monty Hall passed away last Saturday aged 96.

He co-created and hosted Let's Make a Deal - while also lending his name to the famous probability brain teaser, loosely based on this show, that involves three doors, a car and two goats. ;)

640px-MontyInNutshell_Draft.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/obituaries/monty-hall-dead-lets-make-a-deal.html

Roy Dotrice the veteran stage actor who did a fair bit of screen work most recently as Pyromancer Hallyne in GoT has died at 94.

Comedian and Actor Sean Hughes has died at the age of 51 - RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I remember him filling in for Damon Hill as a stunt double at the 1999 Japanese Grand Prix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

John Dunsworth, Mr. Lahey on Trailer Park Boys (and father to Sarah) has passed away at 71.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Occono wrote: »
    John Dunsworth, Mr. Lahey on Trailer Park Boys (and father to Sarah) has passed away at 71.
    I'm having a little drinkypoo in his honour tonight. R.I.P lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Ah no. :(

Trevor ‘Ziggy’ Byfield has died at 73, star of Rocky Horror on the stage and Hair, he did a lot of gangstery type roles on the small screen. He might get a bit tasty with you in his manor esp in the Bill in which he played 14 different roles (two of them were cops but probably dodgy)

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

He was in Haven too

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

That's really sad to hear, hadn't seen him on anything in a good while (and had no idea he apparently had an alcohol issue), grew up in Firhouse too and went to the local school just across the road from where I grew up.

Him, Padraig Harrington and Paul McGinley would have all been in the same secondary school at the same time (he might have even been in McGinley's year, Harrington is about four years younger). Also the same school Philip Kearns disappeared from on his lunch around the same time as they were there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Judith McGrath, from 'A Country Practice', 'Prisoner Cell Block H' and lately 'All Saints' died recently aged 70. R.I.P.
    471826-judith1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RIP. Benson was one of the great tv characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm shocked he was 89

Advertisement