Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmion, McGrath or Cooney?

Options
  • 17-10-2017 9:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭

Who would be your choice to be the primary backup for Murray for the November internationals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Marmion is still ahead of McGrath IMO. Cooney isnt in the conversation at the moment barring injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Marmion still got it. Although McGrath is constantly closing the gap, cooney really pushing on too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Probably stick with Marmion for now. Great to have four guys who could potentially do a job though. The England game proved the sky doesn't fall in if Murray isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I haven't seen much of McGrath this year.
    Marmion and Cooney are both solid options who offer different attacking threats and are both excellent defensively.

Marmion has the snipe attack, Cooney has his boot, Marmion probably a bit faster with the passing.

For me Marmion would be slightly ahead but Cooney could be the selection depending on the game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cooney probably has more experience sitting on the bench at club level than either of the other two. Marmion has been sitting on the bench to international standard now for a while. McGrath doesn't have much sitting on the bench experience. I think he has great leadership pedigree and could lift the bench game of those around him so they can make more an impact when they go on and he doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Definitely have to go with the best defensive winger in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭durthacht

McGrath for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd go with Marmion too, he can also be the sub winger too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

my take on this going to mark them 1 or 0 or draw on each facet of the game

McGrath v Marmion
    Tackling: Draw
    Sniping: Draw
    Passing: 0-1
    Box Kicking: Draw
    Versatility: 0-1

so Marmion maginally ahead if my flawed scoring is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

typhoony wrote: »

McGrath v Marmion

Body on the line,,,, Marion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

typhoony wrote: »

McGrath v Marmion

I would have Marmion ahead myself, but the box kicking part I would have McGrath way ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Somebody get the Luke McGrath triple tackle v Cardiff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would have Marmion ahead myself, but the box kicking part I would have McGrath way ahead.

Some of his box kicks lately have been awful. Marmion still well ahead for me. I expect Cooney to catch up and overtake McGrath with regular gametime this year. Great to have a bit of competition in the position finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

gally74 wrote: »

In my head Marion is your wife's name.
    You have left ok google on.
    You are playing "tender tackle tuesday"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

CatFromHue wrote: »

Our Francois Hougaard

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Has no one watched Cooney much this season? I admit I haven't watched the other two either but Cooney has been seriously impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

CatFromHue wrote: »

If that's the criteria, then Paul Marshall comes roaring back into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

gally74 wrote: »

Maid........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Basing Marmions tackling ability on 2 massive hits on the wing against Australia is a flawed argument.

Luke McGrath on countless occasions has prevented certain tries with a textbook tackling technique in his sweeping role. Probably the best pound for pound tackler in the Leinster squad.

Marmions running and sniping game are very superior to Lukes and he probably has a much better, snappier pass.

While Luke tends to have some complete mares with his box kicking, it has improved and it is not something that Marmion has in his locker.

All in all, Marmions style probably suits him to a "finishing" role, especially in a Joe Schmidt game plan. But I suspect in the not to distant future, McGrath will overtake him as the undisputed number 2 in Ireland.

Mention for Cooney who in the last 5 years has had no consistent run of games with injury problems. Very solid option with a very good kicking game. When he left for Connacht, him and Luke were neck and neck and I reckon it was a coin toss who would leave. If he finishes this season on the upward trend he has started, he could well put himself in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »
    Some of his box kicks lately have been awful. Marmion still well ahead for me. I expect Cooney to catch up and overtake McGrath with regular gametime this year. Great to have a bit of competition in the position finally.

His box kicking lately has actually been pretty good. Up until the Monty game anyway, but the wind for that game wouldn't have helped. He's also the best defender at 9 in the country for me. His defensive reads while sweeping and his ability to complete tackles he has no right to (plus his appetite for that stuff) regularly impress.

Marmion is a better (and a snappier) passer and has a better break (although Luke is decent there too). He's a proper impact sub. Can up the pace and really turn the screw on opposition sides in the final quarter. I really like how we went with him starting against England too. The pace we played at was enjoyable.

And Cooney then has probably the most rounded skill set of the three of them. Maybe doesn't have the out and out strengths but then doesn't have any real glaring weaknesses that I've seen. Plus he can take shots at goal if need be.

I don't think any of them are world class, but as back ups go it's great to see 3 guys all playing well and having something different to offer. Right now Marmion is the man in possession and I haven't seen anything to convince me we need to change. But the margins have certainly gotten a lot finer. And that's a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Largely indifferent to who the backup is. They all bring certain strengths and weaknesses but are all able backup options with very little between them. Marmion should be the one for the time being as he’s done nothing to lose that role. Positive times after the years of relying on one man be it stringer or Murray

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Largely indifferent to who the backup is. They all bring certain strengths and weaknesses but are all able backup options with very little between them. Marmion should be the one for the time being as he’s done nothing to lose that role. Positive times after the years of relying on one man be it stringer or Murray

To my mind, it's the largest strength in depth we've ever had in all positions really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

aloooof wrote: »
    To my mind, it's the largest strength in depth we've ever had in all positions really.

The best thing about SH debate is each are first choice for a province- no backlog of talent at one team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Marmion has delivered at a higher level than either McGrath or Cooney, albeit they haven't had the opportunity to the same extent naturally.

He had a brilliant game against England topped by a try saving cover tackle and was likely in line for the MotM only for O'Mahonys tour de force.

With the exception of box kicking (which is improving and is probably the area where improvements are most possible) he does everything as well or better than McGrath or Cooney.

I don't see Marmion losing the no.2 spot anytime soon.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

damianmcr wrote: »
    Has no one watched Cooney much this season? I admit I haven't watched the other two either but Cooney has been seriously impressive.

Ulster need him so Ireland should pick Marmion or McGrath. Would rather Cooney rested the weeks there is a break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The best thing about SH debate is each are first choice for a province- no backlog of talent at one team

it was nice of Leinster to produce two quality scrumhalves.

more to come.

Not dissimilar to the lock situation last year, with Henderson, Dillane, Ryan and Toner vying for the 2 positions. That's obviously changed now with Ryan's departure, and Treadwell and Ryan-eile coming into the mix.

If Billy Holland isn't in the extended squad, I wonder how many years it is since we had a squad without a Munster lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thanks Nucifer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

aloooof wrote: »
    Not dissimilar to the lock situation last year, with Henderson, Dillane, Ryan and Toner vying for the 2 positions. That's obviously changed now with Ryan's departure, and Treadwell and Ryan-eile coming into the mix.

If Billy Holland isn't in the extended squad, I wonder how many years it is since we had a squad without a Munster lock?

a long time, luckily for Munster they have been bailed out by the Leinster system.

• Advertisement

irishfan9 wrote: »
    a long time, luckily for Munster they have been bailed out by the Leinster system.

How, exactly?

Advertisement