Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Presumably from what he reads here?

And that gives him the authority to question somebody demonstrably more qualified than him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

You see all these charts on this thread.....?

And what. You think the "RTE Weather girl" is some bimbo given a script?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Should we be buying candles and torches tomorrow? Is is that bad?

Spanish eyes it sounds like you're preparing for the zombie apocalypse. Do I really need 8 litres of water stored away?

Absolutely. No point in looking to buy candles after the power has gone out. I have a few old oil lanterns ready to go just in case. I've taken the advice from some here by preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dsmythy wrote: »
    It's the inevitable beginning of the end of it as a hurricane. Irrelevant to us.

Not completely irrelevant. The longer it holds onto it's eye, among other characteristics, the longer it remains a tropical cyclone. Which means the more likely it is to reach us with tropical characteristics.

Also, NHC gives it more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Im living in Galway and we would be well used to storms on the west coast.It seems this coming storm could be the worst one yet.Obviously i hope that it doesn't turn out as bad as predicted.But im bracing myself for the worst.I just hope that any damage to property will be at a minimum.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I have a hunch that one of two things are going to happen... it will hit Ireland but fail to produce anything more than a Force 10 along exposed coasts or it will shift way further east and slam into SW UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    I have a hunch that one of two things are going to happen... it will hit Ireland but fail to produce anything more than a Force 10 along exposed coasts or it will shift way further east and slam into SW UK.

Condemning Aidan McGivern to at least a week of wearing a Michael Fish mask.

Whats the chances it shifts even further east and hits Wales instead :D

FMI Hirlam (which after some googling I see is a Finnish model) is suggesting just that

18Z GFS appears to have pushed the track a bit Eastwards too.

45-515UK_uab1.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

FMI Hirlam (which after some googling I see is a Finnish model) is suggesting just that

fmiuk-11-43-0_blc7.png

If it was a snow event 100% chance. It would be comical on here if that happened. I can imagine Met Eireann going from red to orange to yellow and then just a marine warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Isn't that strangely early in the day? Seems very inaccurate.

• Advertisement

18Z HIRLAM at +44. Wind direction for the South coast not as bad as first feared?

hirlamuk-3-44-0_ngm9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

45-515UK_uab1.GIF

Looks increasing likely that the west will miss out on all the excitement yet again. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ophelia has arrived on sat24 infrared

www.sat24.com

Whoever gets it will have major structural damage

Best we can hope for is it runs East...into the Irish Sea

Still no indication what WILL happen but Im going for NW Mayo as my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

18Z HIRLAM at +44. Wind direction for the South coast not as bad as first feared?

hirlamuk-3-44-0_ngm9.png

Eye over my house. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looks increasing likely that the west will miss out on all the excitement yet again. :rolleyes:

GOOD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

45-515UK_uab1.GIF

Please god
    It's terrifying !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

hirlamuk-3-44-0_ngm9.png

Looking ominous for the south-east coast there

There's a lot of precipitation on the western side of it though, so watch out for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That is mean speeds. Gusts on top of that.

• Advertisement

The downgrades have commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Will the eye not travel up the coast though and we will get the full blast of the gradient behind and before it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's a lot of precipitation on the western side of it though, so watch out for that.

I can cope with that we're on a slope and the garden ends at the sea so anything that goes past us ends up in a massive puddle that only boats go through anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭giveitholly

You said the exact same thing this morning

You keep saying this without any evidence of downgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

So worst case and best case for Dublin Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    GOOD!!!

Not good. Celebrate the mundane if you must; I shall not. :P

New Moon

h2005 wrote: »
    So worst case and best case for Dublin Monday?

Read the thread!

You said the exact same thing this morning

I'm basing my comments on what those on here who know more about the weather are posting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldnt bother with HIRLAM at all. It's been like that since Wednesday. It can't pick up the depression at all.

We're pretty much in 'the window' now for accurate forecasting. None of the charts have aligned perfectly. Some of them have Mayo/Galway in the firing line (ARPEGE showing damaging median and gusts for Connaught, Munster and South Leinster), others have it missing completely (Munster, South Leinster). Some have a more intense storm penetrating very strong winds far inland while some charts (JMA, GEM, have been unreliable so far) showing more westerly position hammering mostly just South and West coatsts, some have skewered it east slightly. I wonder what Met Eireann are thinking next.

The ICON wind gust graph is incredible though. Hard to see it actually being THIS strong but at the same time it was the first chart to call the Eastward shift last night before some of the rest decided to line up.

430609.png

Advertisement