Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Shop Smell

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Smells like R Kelly's sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

all the clothes smell like that on the 10 cent rail Andy

put a few bob away every week and aim for the euro rail

It's all very well saving up for the euro rail, but you'll still smell poxy even if you happen to be in be sipping mint juleps in the dining carriage whilst chugging lazily across the the Austrian Tyrol.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Fill a bucket with Febreze and Hydrochloric Acid (50/50) and a pinch of baking soda. And a squeeze of lemon.
    Soak clothes in bucket for a couple of days.

I reckon with the right amount of tinkering I could concoct a smokeable drug.
    It would be fairly crude, but addictive enough that a user would sell the shirt off his own back for more, solving both problems.

Smells like R Kelly's sheets

Teen spirit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Andy you could always get some Patchouli Oil to go with your charity shop cloths ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

put a few bob away every week and aim for the euro rail

10 bloody cent? - which charity shops do you frequent ? Tbe bleeding shops i go to sometimes if its a bit of decent its nearly as much , if not more , than you can buy it new in the shops!

Fill a bucket with Febreze and Hydrochloric Acid (50/50) and a pinch of baking soda. And a squeeze of lemon.
    Soak clothes in bucket for a couple of days.

.. and clothes will disintegrate ...and no more smell! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Like a cross between stale mothballs & an old ladies vest, with a hint of mildew, a touch of mould and a large dollop of dried up gusset from the 1920s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

10 bloody cent? - which charity shops do you frequent ? Tbe bleeding shops i go to sometimes if its a bit of decent its nearly as much , if not more , than you can buy it new in the shops!

The ones around here think they're upmarket vintage shops, they've forgotten the whole charity shop thing.

You forgot the 'take a lit match to it' on the end, there. That's the most important step.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

LordSutch wrote: »
    Like a cross between stale mothballs & an old ladies vest, with a hint of mildew, a touch of mould and a large dollop of dried up gusset from the 1920s.

you've done your research

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I know a certain 'vintage shop' which is attempting to raise its profile online, you know, one of those outlets that was called a 'second-hand shop' back in the day.

Not cheap, not a charity as such....the back of it where the air doesn't really circulate and where most of the clothes are has an overwhelming bang of old clothes/mould/mildew.

The ones around here think they're upmarket vintage shops, they've forgotten the whole charity shop thing.

Notions!...

<b><u>put a few bob away every week and aim for the euro rail</b></u>

Thanks when (if) i ever get flush enough to be in that situation i most certainly will :)

Makes me laugh when people say that the first thing they will do if they won the lotto is go out and buy a new car/house/boat etc .. most probably the first thing i would do is go out and buy a whole brand new wardrobe of gear .. and i am not just talking dunnes and penneys .... i leave my present clothes into charity shop haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Thanks when (if) i ever get flush enough to be in that situation i most certainly will :)

Makes me laugh when people say that the first thing they will do if they won the lotto is go out and buy a new car/house/boat etc .. most probably the first thing i would do is go out and buy a whole brand new wardrobe of gear .. and i am not just talking dunnes and penneys .... i leave my present clothes into charity shop haha :)

Off topic OP. or are you smelly? You don't wash your cloths?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dont say that :( , a lot of my clothes have over the years come from charity shops! - be lot without em - i havent got expendable money to go out and buy new clothes

Your clothes are haunted. It's the smell of the paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Notions!...

They had a flippin' bearskin for 1 thousand euro.

And a lot of awful 70's mdf and wood effect veneer furniture, which they're charging more for than new furniture because it's 'retro'. If it was crap when it was new, it doesn't improve with age.

...... but would they take them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They had a flippin' bearskin for 1 thousand euro.

And a lot of awful 70's mdf and wood effect veneer furniture, which they're charging more for than new furniture because it's 'retro'. If it was crap when it was new, it doesn't improve with age.

Will the hipsters buy any old shyte at any price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Probably lacking heat and could also possibly be the smell of poor people who visit these places

Just kidding
    I hate the smell of poor people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I know someone working in a charity shop. The clothes are steamed to remove wrinkles, they are not washed.

737max wrote: »
    I know someone working in a charity shop. The clothes are steamed to remove wrinkles, they are not washed.

I know the staff in a whole load of charity shops and very few bother to do anything other than sort the cloths. The rate stuff that comes into one of them leaves them hard pressed to keep up with the sorting.

There is also a massive value in the stuff thats thrown out as its sorted for recycling companies who pay good money for it. Some charity shops make as much and sometimes more from the recyclers as they do from walk in shop sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

When you see storerooms full of donated secondhand clothes you question the whole rag trade and the wastefulness it promotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Most of the good donations whether it be clothes, footwear, cosmetics etc never hit the floor of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

This is a type of mold, you will also find this smell on some old army surplus blankets, webbing and uniforms. It will infect other items if stored with them.
    The fix is easy, just place items with the smell on a radiator in an unused room. At first the smell will get stronger and in a day or two it will diminish and disappear. If you put it with infected clothing it will get the small again so keep them apart until they have all been 'fixed' on the rad.

Sure the "Culturally Curious" shoppers can still go in and have a good "sniff around" the auld charity shop when they are finished patronising the finer eloquent stores.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Off topic OP. or are you smelly? You don't wash your cloths?

i couldnt say - do you know we all get used to our smell and go noseblind (see advert) - so we dont really know if we smell or not, nor what indeed we smell of.

try asking someone standing next to you next time "how do I smell?" -and see what they say :) ...

Your clothes are haunted. It's the smell of the paranormal.

nice, just in time for hallow'een ....

my3cents wrote: »
    ...... but would they take them :P

theres still a bit of mileage in them .. well some of them :)

• Advertisement

I'll try that so Andy next time I'm in a charity shop. Quite a good few here in South Dublin.

Advertisement