Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charity Shop Smell

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I hate the smell of poor people.

ive smelt a few well orf people before that have smelt very ripe! :eek:

my3cents wrote: »
    I know the staff in a whole load of charity shops and very few bother to do anything other than sort the cloths. The rate stuff that comes into one of them leaves them hard pressed to keep up with the sorting.

There is also a massive value in the stuff thats thrown out as its sorted for recycling companies who pay good money for it. Some charity shops make as much and sometimes more from the recyclers as they do from walk in shop sales.

Ive known in the past and no doubt it still goes on, charity shop workers getting first pickings of the stuff that comes in, keeping the 'decent' stuff themselves and putting the rest out into the shop

enfield wrote: »
    This is a type of mold, you will also find this smell on some old army surplus blankets, webbing and uniforms. It will infect other items if stored with them.
    The fix is easy, just place items with the smell on a radiator in an unused room. At first the smell will get stronger and in a day or two it will diminish and disappear. If you put it with infected clothing it will get the small again so keep them apart until they have all been 'fixed' on the rad.

good advice 👍

737max wrote: »
    I know someone working in a charity shop. The clothes are steamed to remove wrinkles, they are not washed.

i suppose thats a good idea really - germs and bacteria are supposed to die at 60' degrees centigrade and above - i bet most dont steam though, most of them just sort through clothes and just put them out.

Local MS charity shop nearby town has some very decent 3 Piece Suits for around only 10euro - absolutely fantastic nick ... why would you be spending hundreds on a suit for that Wedding/funeral/works do ...... er Court Appearance! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To get rid of of a bad smell in a Charity Shop. You employ a man called Wayne to assist you. The first phase of his plan is to get an elderly man to model clothes so he can sell them online to clear out old stock. In phase two he moves the shop to the back room/up stairs and uses the front of the shop to sell cars.
    For Wayne to take on a Charity Shop it must have a loading bay at the front.

To get rid of of a bad smell in a Charity Shop. You employ a man called Wayne to assist you. The first phase of his plan is to get an elderly man to model clothes so he can sell them online to clear out old stock. In phase two he moves the shop to the back room/up stairs and uses the front of the shop to sell cars.
    For Wayne to take on a Charity Shop it must have a loading bay at the front.

Haha , almost sounds like a soap on tv I watch regularly ...

Watchout here comes deegan the local cop ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Death. Someone probably died in what you're buying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

its a fecker trying to get rid of the smell - even on putting them into washing machine intense on 60 long wash, lovely smelly conditioner - still got smell of charity shop ... what the feck gets rid of it?

White vinegar in with the detergent. About 2 egg cups full. You can use it as conditioner too. :D
    And no, your clothes won't smell like a chippers when they're done ..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Probably lacking heat and could also possibly be the smell of poor people who visit these places

Just kidding

Is this you op?

Money.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I know a certain 'vintage shop' which is attempting to raise its profile online, you know, one of those outlets that was called a 'second-hand shop' back in the day.

Not cheap, not a charity as such....the back of it where the air doesn't really circulate and where most of the clothes are has an overwhelming bang of old clothes/mould/mildew.

Always run by women in their 20s who try really hard to look like Betty Page and selling ridiculously overpriced stock that they got for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Always run by women in their 20s who try really hard to look like Betty Page and selling ridiculously overpriced stock that they got for nothing.

I'd happily frequent those places just for the Betty Page look a likes but alas I've never seen any of them.

cbyrd wrote: »
    White vinegar in with the detergent. About 2 egg cups full. You can use it as conditioner too. :D
    And no, your clothes won't smell like a chippers when they're done ..

this always confuses me this white vinegar malarkey - let me get this straight, the white vinegar you normally get is malt vinegar isnt it what you put on your chips (and then stuff would smell like fish and chips) but the white vinegar you are supposed to use for cleaning is distilled white vinegar isnt it? - where do you get hold of distilled vinegar?

Is this you op?

Money.jpg

yeah, apart from the silver hair ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

this always confuses me this white vinegar malarkey - let me get this straight, the white vinegar you normally get is malt vinegar isnt it what you put on your chips (and then stuff would smell like fish and chips) but the white vinegar you are supposed to use for cleaning is distilled white vinegar isnt it? - where do you get hold of distilled vinegar?

Malt vinegar is the brown vinegar. White vinegar is clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Malt vinegar is the brown vinegar. White vinegar is clear.

The issue I think is that white vinegar can also be the cheap crap non brewed condiment that they have on the counter in chippers.

yes that's what I am thinking of - say the white vinegar I might buy out of Tesco say for example, even though its white vinegar it smells like the brown vinegar you put on your chips .. so If you were going to use that for cleaning/getting rid of odour purposes then that would be no good either. I tried some white vinegar in the dishwasher once because someone recommended it and it stunk of vinegar. So there must be a white vinegar out there that is odourless but where do you get it, that's the thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

yes that's what I am thinking of - say the white vinegar I might buy out of Tesco say for example, even though its white vinegar it smells like the brown vinegar you put on your chips .. so If you were going to use that for cleaning/getting rid of odour purposes then that would be no good either. I tried some white vinegar in the dishwasher once because someone recommended it and it stunk of vinegar. So there must be a white vinegar out there that is odourless but where do you get it, that's the thing?

I experienced the same with using vinegar for cleaning it's hard enough to get rid of the smell but your only advantage with the washing machine is you can do a very warm wash to kill that can kill the smell!

Advertisement