Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charity Shop Smell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Does it remind you of dead people?

Recently deceased people?

A kind of can't wait to get this out of the dead persons closet smell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Probably lacking heat and could also possibly be the smell of poor people who visit these places

Just kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Why do Charity Shops inside (and everything you buy from charity shops like clothes etc) have that particular noticeable charity shop smell? - and what is that smell? (you know the one I mean :) )

Pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Does it remind you of dead people?

Recently deceased people?

A kind of can't wait to get this out of the dead persons closet smell?

dont say that :( , a lot of my clothes have over the years come from charity shops! - be lot without em - i havent got expendable money to go out and buy new clothes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's what they use to clean the clothes mixed with musty books/dvds

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

its a fecker trying to get rid of the smell - even on putting them into washing machine intense on 60 long wash, lovely smelly conditioner - still got smell of charity shop ... what the feck gets rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

its a fecker trying to get rid of the smell - even on putting them into washing machine intense on 60 long wash, lovely smelly conditioner - still got smell of charity shop ... what the feck gets rid of it?

The Brylcreem and Brut combo will mask any odour. Alternatively, carry a tin of snuff around. Take a pinch anytime you notice the smell. Other people will still smell it but you won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Maybe your conditioner is the same smell??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's the smell of good value - breathe it in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thrift by Yves St. Laurent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its the smell of toxic mold spores Andy. If you can still smell it when you wear it then your days with us may be short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Lillies smell like death to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Leave them soaking in a bucket of water with some white vinegar and/or baking soda. Leave them in the water overnight, or even a couple of days.

Leave them soaking in a bucket of water with some white vinegar and/or baking soda. Leave them in the water overnight, or even a couple of days.

Ooh right the good ol vinegar and baking powder to the rescue again. I shall try that cheers

elperello wrote: »
    It's the smell of good value - breathe it in.

Knowing that some poor soul probably took his last breath wearing it..
    (David Attenborough voice) Once again the circle of life continues.
    Personally I wouldn't wear stuff from a charity shop. I've bought all sorts of other stuff from them mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Knowing that some poor soul probably took his last breath wearing it..
    (David Attenborough voice) Once again the circle of life continues.
    Personally I wouldn't wear stuff from a charity shop. I've bought all sorts of other stuff from them mind.

Most of the guys stuff is from the living from wives that are secretly donating it because they can't stand their partners cloths sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Odeur de mort et de pauvreté

my3cents wrote: »
    Most of the guys stuff is from the living from wives that are secretly donating it because they can't stand their partners cloths sense.

And the rest of the guy stuff is probably donated by men who secretly feck off to a moderately priced hotel with his secretary that's young enough to be his daughter every second weekend because he's secretly sick of his wife's constant nagging of his clothes sense/rapidly increasing mass/burgeoning facial hair and general c*ntishness. I'm pretty sure that stuff from dead guys makes it into the shops too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

stale clothes smell? .............clothes that have been in a wardrobe for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

possibly be the smell of poor people who visit these places

Just kidding

This made me laugh far to much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think it's the old books.

The clothes probably need airing. If you have a covered washing line, that would be ideal. I'm sure good old bicarb. would also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The books would have a musty smell which would be proportionally related to the yellowing of their pages.

Does any boardsie have the bottle to tell anyone working in a charity shop about this thread?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Benji

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It wouldn't remotely bother me if the previous owner had died in the clothes in the charity shop.
    And lots of new clothing has been tried on in changing rooms possibly by lots of people. So new is sort of pre worn already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

You might get a whiff offone of the last "collie-dollies"
    Look for it elsewhere on boards.ie
    I don't fancy getting infracted by cross posting a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

all the clothes smell like that on the 10 cent rail Andy

put a few bob away every week and aim for the euro rail

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I never really noticed a smell

KungPao wrote: »
    Odeur de mort et de pauvreté

Funeral home fresh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Fill a bucket with Febreze and Hydrochloric Acid (50/50) and a pinch of baking soda. And a squeeze of lemon.
    Soak clothes in bucket for a couple of days.

Advertisement