Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

You, like many here, miss the point about Trump. It wasn't that people necessarily loved him - it's clear he has many character flaws; it was a combination of Trump facing the worst candidate in the history of presidential elections

The above is just regurgitating one of Trumps lies.
    Remember:
    • With voter supression Obama 2012 would have struggled against Trump in the swing States
    • Russia hacked election and dumped on the Democrats at strategically damaging times
    • MSM covered 5 times more of Hilary's emails versus Trumps collusion, criminality, narcissism
    • Trump used Russian active measures by mentioning the email dumps almost 200 times in the last month.
    • The vast majority of vital SM news was fake and backing Trump. This was microtargetted to users SM profiles
    • The GOP had tergetted Clinton with suprious Benghazi lies over 40 investigation
    • Bannon et al had targetted her with cerative writing like 'Clinton Cash' which was taken up by hapless NYT.
    • She was the first female candidate
    • Inspite of all this she still won the popular vote convinvingly

She had her flaws namely the Clinton foundation which was a black box that allowed Bannon, Mercer et al to associate it with anything. Basically they could pin the entire neo-liberal system on her. And the system IS broken.
    b) a big up yours to the metropolitan elite who have ignored ordinary Americans for decades.

Trump is a NY billionaire. He is metropolitan elite. Exxon Mobil is SoS. Boeing is defence. Goldman Sachs is everything else. THis is the most elite corporate admin in world history. Ordinary people will have their healthcare taken away, their wages cut, their rights stamped on. By ordinary people I am talking about all ordinary people not just whites.

Surely that is worth something.

Is your chuckling with Trump trying to turn the worlds formost superpower into a dictatorship worth the consequences...worth the inevitable deaths and wars that will follow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

demfad wrote: »
    The above is just regurgitating one of Trumps lies.
    Remember:
    • With voter supression Obama 2012 would have struggled against Trump in the swing States
    • Russia hacked election and dumped on the Democrats at strategically damaging times
    • MSM covered 5 times more of Hilary's emails versus Trumps collusion, criminality, narcissism
    • Trump used Russian active measures by mentioning the email dumps almost 200 times in the last month.
    • The vast majority of vital SM news was fake and backing Trump. This was microtargetted to users SM profiles
    • The GOP had tergetted Clinton with suprious Benghazi lies over 40 investigation
    • Bannon et al had targetted her with cerative writing like 'Clinton Cash' which was taken up by hapless NYT.
    • She was the first female candidate
    • Inspite of all this she still won the popular vote convinvingly

She had her flaws namely the Clinton foundation which was a black box that allowed Bannon, Mercer et al to associate it with anything. Basically they could pin the entire neo-liberal system on her. And the system IS broken.

Trump is a NY billionaire. He is metropolitan elite. Exxon Mobil is SoS. Boeing is defence. Goldman Sachs is everything else. THis is the most elite corporate admin in world history. Ordinary people will have their healthcare taken away, their wages cut, their rights stamped on. By ordinary people I am talking about all ordinary people not just whites.

Is your chuckling with Trump trying to turn the worlds formost superpower into a dictatorship worth the consequences...worth the inevitable deaths and wars that will follow?

A dictatorship? Calm down with the hysteria.

Can you please enlighten us as to why this seems hysterical given Trumps authoritarian behaviour since assuming power? <snip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I find it continually lamentable when his supporters keep trying to portray him as some sort of system smashing giant, when he's is so entrenched in the system.

Incredible stuff altogether.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...Trump facing the worst candidate in the history of presidential elections...
    Only whenever he looked in the mirror.
    ...a big up yours to the metropolitan elite...

"How should I stick it to the metropolitan elite? I know! I'll vote for a self-proclaimed billionaire property developer! That'll show 'em!"

Every day I feel more and more like Wonko the Sane, the character in Dougas Adams' So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish who built an inside-out lunatic asylum for the world to live in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tony EH wrote: »
    How can anyone keep supporting this clown? It must be embarrassing on a daily basis to be a Trump supporter.

I know a few Republican supporters in the US that are seriously thinking of switching the next time around, if a "decent" Republican candidate is not forthcoming.
    If they voted for Trump, they're most likely lying to themselves. They'd vote Ted cruz or trump Mk.II in a heartbeat so long as the letter (r) was beside his name.

How can anyone keep supporting this clown? It must be embarrassing on a daily basis to be a Trump supporter.

I know a few Republican supporters in the US that are seriously thinking of switching the next time around, if a "decent" Republican candidate is not forthcoming.

You, like many here, miss the point about Trump. It wasn't that people necessarily loved him - it's clear he has many character flaws; it was a combination of Trump facing the worst candidate in the history of presidential elections, and b) a big up yours to the metropolitan elite who have ignored ordinary Americans for decades. I'll give Trump one thing: He does wind up some of the most irritating people in the world aka. journalists, boards.ie posters, narcissistic celebrities, social media airheads, most of academia etc etc.

Surely that is worth something.
    If this thread and others in the likes of reddit are anything to go by, not all but a hell of a lot of Trump supporters viewed him almost as a second coming of christ. Now a lot of those have switched to "he was the best of a bad bunch" (nonsense considering they voted Trump over Kasich) and in 10 they'll simply deny ever having voted for him at all.

I might actually have more respect for the openly racist neo nazis among his fanbase than those types.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It is very funny, though.

Mod note:

Please read the charter, re: substantive contributions instead of one liners, before posting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I get it that many people, at least superficially if not that they actually believed it themselves, voted for Trump on the basis of a change. They wanted a new broom to sweep in. The realign the government back to the people.

That theory falls away quite quickly when you see that they continued to vote for the GOP, the very essence of the swamp. But we can park that for the moment.

But regardless of Trumps political views, and how they reflect or otherwise the nation, what is quite staggering is just how unsuited he is to the job.

Whilst there are as many theories about what makes a good leader as there are books about it, and in many cases good leaders are specifically due to the time or events facing them, some of the common traits of good leaders are good oratory, ability to empathise, ability to strike the right mood at the right time. To be intelligent (not simple in terms of Stephen Hawkins type smarts, but more that they understand and can articulate what is going on).

An ability to bring disparate groups closer together, even if only to achieve a temporary goal. Ability to see the important issues, regardless of what others may believe to be important (for example budgets are important but sometimes people just need help).

Normally it takes a combination of these to make a good leader. They don't necessarily need to be good at all of them, but being very strong on one or more can overcome shortfalls in others.

But for the life of me I cannot see one leadership trait in Trump. He seems almost gleeful in his ignorance. Seems to never prepare. Has seemingly no ability to understand the requirements of certain situations (playing by throwing papers towels in PR and telling people to enjoy themselves). At a picnic this would come across as fun and with it, but it was neither the time or place.

He is very thinned skinned and is easily put off his stride. He seemingly cannot hold a coherent argument beyond a few sentences and can be easily sidetracked.

It is much like the failing football team getting rid of the underperforming manager and putting a favorite ex player in charge. That player has no training, no experience and doesn't have the tools to do the job. And time and again the fans are left wondering why things didn't improve beyond maybe a short blip.

The problem for the manager, and thus Trump, is that in isolation they way well be able to learn and get by. But they aren't in isolation. They continually come up against better managers, better prepared or have events thrown at them. Luck can play a part in getting by some of the time, but they will always come up against someone better.

Trump is facing a world with leaders with years of experience. Merkel, Putin, Xi Jinping. The only one he has any success with is May, and she was pretty much as unprepared as he was and also in far greater need than him for a saviour.

A country like Ireland can get by with a bad leader. Sure it will suck for us, but in the overall scheme of things it won't make much difference. POTUS is on a completely different level. They want to be seen as the leader of the world, yet have given the keys to a person who has shown no ability to do the job. And never did before the election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's a really good description of the problem, Leroy, maybe the best I've come across.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Billy86 wrote: »
    If they voted for Trump, they're most likely lying to themselves. They'd vote Ted cruz or trump Mk.II in a heartbeat so long as the letter (r) was beside his name.

The problem at the heart of American politics.

Seriously though, there has to be limits to lying to oneself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whats at the heart of that problem is when it comes down to what people do in voting booths for far too many its dependent on the answer to one of 2 questions "Do you want to take my guns" and "Do you want to kill babies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Signs of more trouble in paradise. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/tillerson-s-fury-trump-required-intervention-pence-n806451

This doesn't surprise me at all considering Trumps recent tweets undermining Tillerson's efforts with North Korea. I'll be surprised if Tillerson lasts the full term. If he goes it would surely be the most high profile departure we'd seen. I think the administration would probably survive it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

There was a link to a list of things Trump has lied about to date. Is that still going?

He lied repeatedly about a congressman being in hospital and for that reason, the health bill did not pass. The guy was not in hospital at all. He even tweeted to say that he wasn't. Wondering if that made the list is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

VinLieger wrote: »
    Whats at the heart of that problem is when it comes down to what people do in voting booths for far too many its dependent on the answer to one of 2 questions "Do you want to take my guns" and "Do you want to kill babies"

There is also the fact that the elected representatives are put in place with roughly half of Americans not voting at all and little to no discussion is ever taking place anywhere about that fact. Turnout at the last general election was a paltry 54% and at the last mid terms 33%. Neither the Republicans who it seems want as few people as possible to vote nor the Democrats talk about this fact and neither party has shown any inclination or interest in actually representing the best interests of the vast majority of Americans.

The last 8.5 months has basically shown everyone who has a limit for that, any everyone who hasn't.

Without naming names one of the more active Trump supporters eventually laid out what would make him turn his back on Trump - attacking LGBT rights, but when this happened he still refused to by trying to pass them off as frivolous. This poster also claimed to be against religious influence in general and not just "that" religion... and defended this discrimination as just protecting religious rights. This poster even refused to do so after an exact bill/order they had used as evidence of Trump supporting LGBT rights was taken away... by Trump.

I wonder how much of it is an addiction of sorts too, because there was one point where this poster declared themselves off the Trump train over something separate (can't remember exactly what it was over)... but yet gradually over the next few weeks hitched themselves right back on as if they just couldn't get enough of... whatever it is that being a Trump fan gives one, contrarianism maybe? Just to point out that this isn't a go at that one poster either, it was just a perfect microcosm of Trump fandom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

b) a big up yours to the metropolitan elite who have ignored ordinary Americans for decades.

I am absolutely, mind-bendingly baffled by anyone who tries to say this with a straight face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So it seems that Trump Secretary of State didn't exactly say he didn't call Trump a "Moron"

What wins out? Trump's common sense that he needs Tillerson and needs to keep his inner circle somewhat intact for a number of reasons including not completely losing Congress, not appearing even more weak and incompetent, and in case anyone knows anything further Russian related that they might let slip... or Trump's fragile ego?

Nice knowing you Rex, it might not come immediately but you're now standing on the edge of a plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So it seems that Trump Secretary of State didn't exactly say he didn't call Trump a "Moron"

The reporter has clarified what she meant

https://twitter.com/MSignorile/status/915597090155372545

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    What wins out? Trump's common sense that he needs Tillerson and needs to keep his inner circle somewhat intact for a number of reasons including not completely losing Congress, not appearing even more weak and incompetent, and in case anyone knows anything further Russian related that they might let slip... or Trump's fragile ego?

Nice knowing you Rex, it might not come immediately but you're now standing on the edge of a plank.

The whole oil industry, climate change is a huge thing in this administration. And Tillerson is/was the CEO of the biggest oil company in the world.

He could walk as the anti-fossil fuel regulation is being dismantled.

The big issue is the price of oil: It is not profitable enough now to go for the harder to extract fracking and Tar sands etc or drill in deep waters like the Arctic.

War brings up the price of oil. So when you see the dept of State being defunded, dismantled, all the good people leave with Exxon-Mobil as SoS and Trump as president....

The job is to dismantle regulations, dismantle climate change bodies and bring up the price of oil. Job is only 2/3 done.

Senior Whitehouse and transition officials accused of Fraud is an extremely serious matter you would imagine congress would have to look into.....

https://www.propublica.org/article/ivanka-donald-trump-jr-close-to-being-charged-felony-fraud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

MadYaker wrote: »
    Signs of more trouble in paradise. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/tillerson-s-fury-trump-required-intervention-pence-n806451

This doesn't surprise me at all considering Trumps recent tweets undermining Tillerson's efforts with North Korea. I'll be surprised if Tillerson lasts the full term. If he goes it would surely be the most high profile departure we'd seen. I think the administration would probably survive it though.

Get that. Reading the news report of Rex's remark about Don being a moron explained why Don passed the comment "stand aside Rex" re negotiating with NK, he couldn't resist making the dig. The image of Rex leading the news agenda wouldn't fit well with a person of limited self-esteem. If Rex resigns it should be a ball-breaker for Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

MadYaker wrote: »

I thought Trumpists loved being able to speak their mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just listened to trump speaking in las vegas, not once did he mention guns....again shameless stuff

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Just listened to trump speaking in las vegas, not once did he mention guns....again shameless stuff

i guess he does listen to his advisers from time to time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,953 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are you not aware of the relationship between the NRA and the Republican Party?

Like it was obvious to a blind man that he was never going to bring up guns.

Criticising him for something so obvious is just ridiculous.

Funny thing is that if he did mention gun control all you would see posted in this thread is that he has proven how delusional he is and how he is alienating his own party and some other critical stuff. No chance he would ever get any credit in this thread.

I'm not a fan of Trump but I hope he sees out his term because I really fear what could happen if Mike Pence became potus.

I predicted before we even knew who the republican candidate was that he/she would beat Hilary. I prefer a democrat in the White House and hopefully they have the good sense to put a candidate forward next time around who actually has a chance to win an election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

HC had a great chance to win the election. It was basically Comeys intervention that lost it for her. In such a tight race that was a major factor.

Had Comey not interviened it was likely that HC would have won confortably and everyone would be asking how the GOP would ever recover.

Such is politics.

To claim that Trump was never going to mention guns is accepting that no matter what he cannot lead. Being leader tends to put one in positions they never imagined. Faced with a new problem. And the best leaders, those that we remember and respect, are the ones that grasp the significance and force a change. Churchill in the UK for example.

Sadly Trump is not that man. Obama was but the GOP ensured that regardless of his bravery and willingness to work for change that they would stop him at everyturn. Trump seems to see his mission to row back on anything Obama tried and Obamas legacy would be mych greater had HC won.

Trump, when faced with the first real crisis (not directly linked to him) has sadly shown himself to be a coward and a yes man. The man who was going to 'Drain the swamp', tell it like it is, stand up for middle America has literally nothing to say when 59 of them are gunned down and 500+ injured.

Nothing. He has no ideas, no anger, no call to action. No red line has been crossed. The man who claimed he has was so shocked when little kids died in Syria that he fired multiple missles hasn't even called in the NRA to demand change.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you not aware of the relationship between the NRA and the Republican Party?

Like it was obvious to a blind man that he was never going to bring up guns.

Criticising him for something so obvious is just ridiculous.

Oh, get a frigging grip.

Sure: we all know that the GOP is owned, body and soul, by the NRA - as Jimmy Fallon so eloquently put it, the NRA has their balls in a money clip.

But you call it "ridiculous" to criticise him for it?

By that standard, it would be "ridiculous" to criticise Kim Jong Un for firing a missile at Guam. Sure don't we all know he's a nutter? What's all the fuss about?

Trump has proven that, contrary to all the steaming piles of crap about draining the swamp, he's as bloodlessly craven as every other GOP politician who would rather continue to watch massacre after massacre than dare to risk offending Wayne LaPierre. If you think that that somehow exempts him from criticism, I frankly can't understand the thought processes that could bring you to that conclusion.

• Advertisement

I didn't say he doesn't deserve criticism, was just pointing out how ridiculous this thread has been. Also pointing out that all he did is what everybody expected him to do.

The comparison you attempt to make there is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Funny thing is that if he did mention gun control all you would see posted in this thread is that he has proven how delusional he is and how he is alienating his own party and some other critical stuff. No chance he would ever get any credit in this thread.

I love how you state this with such certainty but I would actually have given him credit and post it here provided what he says actually makes sense and is actually sensible (by that I mean real progress, background checks, re-enforcing Obama's EO that he and the GOP overturned etc.). I think you'll find there are a lot of people like myself who will give credit when credit is due, wouldn't make up for the rest of the **** he does but I'd still say well done. It's not a hard thing, it's called being principled. But this cuts both ways, letting him off because he plays to the usual NRA sponsored lines isn't principled, I try to hold all politicians to the same standard, just because you expect them to do something doesn't mean you go easy on them and simply shrug shoulders and say "oh well I expected this, what can you do..."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Leroy42 wrote: »
    HC had a great chance to win the election. It was basically Comeys intervention that lost it for her. In such a tight race that was a major factor.

I think the operative there is "tight race", which begs the question as to why it was tight in the first place. That in itself is a damning indictment of her candidacy. And it's not just Comey's fault: If she hadn't gone off on the email server thing, there would have been nothing for Comey to investigate. Either way, spilled milk now.
    To claim that Trump was never going to mention guns is accepting that no matter what he cannot lead. Being leader tends to put one in positions they never imagined. Faced with a new problem. And the best leaders, those that we remember and respect, are the ones that grasp the significance and force a change. Churchill in the UK for example.

Sadly Trump is not that man. Obama was but the GOP ensured that regardless of his bravery and willingness to work for change that they would stop him at everyturn. Trump seems to see his mission to row back on anything Obama tried and Obamas legacy would be mych greater had HC won.

Trump, when faced with the first real crisis (not directly linked to him) has sadly shown himself to be a coward and a yes man. The man who was going to 'Drain the swamp', tell it like it is, stand up for middle America has literally nothing to say when 59 of them are gunned down and 500+ injured.

Nothing. He has no ideas, no anger, no call to action. No red line has been crossed. The man who claimed he has was so shocked when little kids died in Syria that he fired multiple missles hasn't even called in the NRA to demand change.

Forgive me, but this seems to imply that there is only one viable course of action. That is not a position universally shared by the US population (or the population of this board). Personally, I have emailed my two congresscritters earlier this week and inquired as to if they have any interest at all in considering other points of focus such as prohibition on publicising such shooters or perhaps looking at the social or societal reasons these things seem to be happening in the US more than other firearms-holding countries. After all, the NRA can't object to those. Given that one is Kamala Harris, and the other Eric Swalwell, both (D-CA), I'm unconvinced that the response will do anything but focus on feelgood, superficial issue of the firearms. DiFi has wasted no time in copy/pasting a paragraph from her last attempt at a ban, submitting her new proposal which ignores the practical aspects of how the things work that she is trying to ban in the first place. But it's much easier to get superficial things passed when emotions are high, and when things settle down in the end, it's those of us on the receiving end that are trying to figure things out. As it is, I spent a half-hour today trying to figure out whether or not one of my rifles needs to be registered under the latest California regimen (And I still haven't come to a conclusion on the matter) because the folks passing the legislation have no clue what they're legislating about. And in the meantime, nothing is done as regards the most commonly used weapons in the US for murder or mass murder, precisely because they are (a) explicitly protected by the courts, and (b) also the most commonly legitimately held weapons. Perhaps the solution is not, in fact, to look at firearms, but to look at the people.
    wp-1488703847913.jpg

Looking at Don V Rex, are we seeing the emergence of a possible runner for Nov 2020 for GOP, if he's a paid-up member of the GOP and not merely on its lists? A person who knows his own mind, is a team player and has experience of coalface Political & Admin work.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Looking at Don V Rex, are we seeing the emergence of a possible runner for Nov 2020 for GOP, if he's a paid-up member of the GOP and not merely on its lists? A person who knows his own mind, is a team player and has experience of coalface Political & Admin work.

He is the worst SoS in US history and has run the department of State into the ground with massive cuts, masses of posts deliberately unfilled and an exodus of the most talented experienced diplomats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

aloyisious wrote: »

He is the worst SoS in US history and has run the department of State into the ground with massive cuts, masses of posts deliberately unfilled and an exodus of the most talented experienced diplomats.

Well, if he is incompetent and belligerent he sounds like a great Republican candidate. If he is also an ugly, bull-headed, bible-thumping SOB, he's in for a landslide.

• Advertisement

I think the operative there is "tight race", which begs the question as to why it was tight in the first place. That in itself is a damning indictment of her candidacy. And it's not just Comey's fault: If she hadn't gone off on the email server thing, there would have been nothing for Comey to investigate. Either way, spilled milk now.

Last week it was revealed that 6 of Trump's admin team were using private email servers. Jared Kushner has 3 private email accounts for sensitive Govt business.
    The media spent 5 times the time on this single issue than on ALL Trumps vices.
    On average each TV station spent less than 40 minutes covering policy. The rest of the time was the polling race, and he said this about her then she sais this (but mainly he said this about her: 200 times re Russian hack in last month).
    That's not all that happened: You have the Benhgazi congress machine gunning, the Clinton Cash story from Steve Bannon, Voter supression in the swing States (Obama would have struggled in '16), Russian hacks, Targetted propaganda on social media, Mercers Fake news network (15,000 webpages) etc. etc.
    Inspite of this she was poised to give him the biggest ever drubbing until Comey.
    On average each TV station spent less than 40 minutes covering policy: She was 1 million times better as a candidate. Just not quite as good on the corrupt reality TV show that passes for US election coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

##Mod Note##

<<SNIP>>

Please don't just dump links..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So having been warned off picking a fight with North Korea he's now retreating to picking one with Iran. Or is he trying to pick both fights?

America. Your president is a ****ing psychopath

https://twitter.com/reuterspolitics/status/916015376445640704

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

david75 wrote: »
    So having been warned off picking a fight with North Korea he's now retreating to picking one with Iran. Or is he trying to pick both fights?

He's an absolute idiot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All,

I've created a new thread for the discussion around Gun Control.

I've moved the relevant posts from this thread over there..

Thread is here.

• Advertisement

Did Trump hint that he intends to tackle Iran? Where is this news coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Did Trump hint that he intends to tackle Iran? Where is this news coming from?

I read that this morning. He said there was big news coming, apparently surrounded my the military when it was said.

However, some are saying that because there are further developments into the investigation of him, this is a diversionary tactic.

(PS - all military advice as I understand it has said that the Iran deal should say)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He said this was "the calm before the storm"

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - After discussing Iran and North Korea with U.S. military leaders on Thursday, President Donald Trump posed for a photo with them before dinner and declared the moment “the calm before the storm.”

“You guys know what this represents?” Trump said after journalists gathered in the White House state dining room to photograph him and first lady Melania Trump with the uniformed military leaders and their spouses.

“Maybe it’s the calm before the storm,” he said.

What storm?

“You’ll find out,” Trump told questioning reporters.

Link

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He said this was "the calm before the storm"

Link

Must he treat everything like reality TV? Does Trump nuke North Korea or attack Iran! Find out in the next thrilling episode!

Must he treat everything like reality TV? Does Trump nuke North Korea or attack Iran! Find out in the next thrilling episode!

Reality tv has gate crashed reality, it's disturbing to watch really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"The calm before the storm"?

So in a month where you have two major hurricane disaster zones and the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, this counts as "calm" to him.

Quite incredible his absolute lack of awareness.

That's the problem with Don's comments, no one knows if there's anything to, or in, them, leaving people [incl his own] scrambling for info on what's happening, meetings to make up more distractions because of STUPID. If it's not planned to mind**** the US, I can see him looking at the TV and papers "what did I do yesterday"?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

david75 wrote: »

Oh FFS, Iran was complying. Why does this absolute lunatic want another Middle East war? The place is unstable enough as it is, without Trump causing more issues.

I think he will find that not many people will be on board this time. The US will be rightly seen as the people who are breaking the deal.

There is also the longer term effect. There is no way North Korea will be brought to the negotiation table now. Why would they? When the US will break the deal under a new administration. The same will happen with any other country going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"Decertify" is an interesting word. Does that mean he gets a big rubber and rubs out Obama's signature? :pac:

wes wrote: »
    Oh FFS, Iran was complying. Why does this absolute lunatic want another Middle East war? The place is unstable enough as it is, without Trump causing more issues.

I think he will find that not many people will be on board this time. The US will be rightly seen as the people who are breaking the deal.

There is also the longer term effect. There is no way North Korea will be brought to the negotiation table now. Why would they? When the US will break the deal under a new administration. The same will happen with any other country going forward.

is it just the donald behind all this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement