Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a new cyclist an intimidated.

Options
  • 24-09-2017 8:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

I bought a fixer-upper bike recently on Adverts for quite reasonable price. It needed new front and back brake pads and a new tube.

I took to cycling to get fit and as a sort of a hobby in the evening.

Even before I started cycling, I've always given the widest possible berth for more vulnerable road users. Even when overtaking motorcyclists.

I've heard of "taking the lane" and letting motorists behind you know that you know they're there, but even when doing this I've still been overtaken far too close. One one occasion, a van driver passed me with inches to spare, I was wearing a yellow tshirt and had flashing lights on (even though it was the middle of the day). I banged on the van as it passed by. I was nearly forced into the ditch.

Does any more experienced cyclists here have hints on how to force people to overtake properly?

Hope it's OK to stick a poll up here. Just to see what everyone else's opinion is regarding PPE. I know helmets and hi-vis are not mandatory. I wear a helmet though (no hi-vis).

What do you wear whilst cycling? 543 votes

Helmet
    0%
    Hi-vis
    26%
    TrojanseamusBorderfoxyaledoDermo[Deleted User]DirkVoodootuxybranners69loupCalidenPWEIirlirishkevsilvobeansbrianomcJohnny JukeboxLumenType 17plodder 145 votes
    Front light (when necessary)
    9%
    TrojanBorderfoxbranners69loupCalidenirlirishkevsilvoploddertophurlerpeasantrandomname2005RonaldinhoelusiveguyrazorbluntED ESuperSean11passinginterestMac-ChopsDanbo!mp31 54 votes
    Back light (when necessary)
    30%
    TrojanseamusBorderfoxDiarmuidyaledoDermoDirkVoodooChips LovellRaambranners69loupCalidenPWEIirlirishkevsilvobeansbrianomcJohnny JukeboxCanis LupusLumen 165 votes
    Camera
    30%
    TrojanseamusBorderfoxDiarmuidyaledoDermoDirkVoodootuxyChips LovellRaambranners69loupCalidenPWEIirlirishkevsilvobeansbrianomcJohnny JukeboxCanis Lupus 168 votes
    None of these
    2%
    Borderfoxjon1981ED ESuperSean11papuDanbo!mp31Rogue-TroopertwinsenrodneyTrotter.AndrewJRenko 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

common enough problem, stick to quieter roads until you get more confident on the bike and in traffic. if you witness bad or dangerous driving, report it to the gardai. please dont take to hitting vehicles, and any other way of antagonising situations, for everybody's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have you thought about buying a camera?

Might allow you to have evidence should anyone drive dangerously around you, or God forbid, cause you harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Camera
    I find cycling with a group much safer. Find your local club, most have beginner groups and you'll find safety in numbers.

Camera
    NIMAN wrote: »

Might allow you to have evidence should anyone drive dangerously around you, or God forbid, cause you harm.

I'm on the fence about this one... it's not going to prevent an idiot driver doing something stupid but on the other hand if a lot or most cyclist have them, idiot drivers might think twice. Either way, until they become common place they are of very limited benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Camera
    You can't force others to overtake you correctly. All you can do is ride "defenceively".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

onimpulse wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about this one... it's not going to prevent an idiot driver doing something stupid but on the other hand if a lot or most cyclist have them, idiot drivers might think twice. Either way, until they become common place they are of very limited benefit.

Agreed.

Your suggestion of cycling in a group is a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Camera
    NIMAN wrote: »

Does anyone recommend a particular brand? A work colleague of mine (a cyclist) said that cheaper cameras are heavier and are bad for the neck when sitting on top of the helmet.
    I find cycling with a group much safer. Find your local club, most have beginner groups and you'll find safety in numbers.

Would I look a bit out of place with the inferior hybrid bike that I cycle on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This might help -
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E6L2SQ?tag=viglink20253-20
    I don't know where you can get them in Ireland, I have an old one from years ago and I think it gives you a bit more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

common enough, and a good idea for regular commuters. plenty of videos on youtube of such incidents. very useful technology for reporting to gardai

Camera

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement

Camera
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Until motorists tempted to do something stupid are put off by the fact that the cyclist will probably have a camera... At the moment I think motorists believe they can do what they want an get away with it.

Camera
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    common enough, and a good idea for regular commuters. plenty of videos on youtube of such incidents. very useful technology for reporting to gardai

Great as evidence I completely agree. Useless in terms of prevention though.

Camera
    Does anyone recommend a particular brand? A work colleague of mine (a cyclist) said that cheaper cameras are heavier and are bad for the neck when sitting on top of the helmet.

Would I look a bit out of place with the inferior hybrid bike that I cycle on?

Most clubs will insist you have a road bike I'm afraid. That's largely for safety... depends on the bike you have but could you change the handlebars?

Camera
    Maybe get a hi viz Jacket with " YES... I DO PAY ROAD TAX!" Written on it might help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Most clubs will insist you have a road bike I'm afraid. That's largely for safety... depends on the bike you have but could you change the handlebars?
    Really?

Camera
    Really?

Check with your local club but the ones I've been involved with will. It really is a safety issue.

Camera
    Check with your local club but the ones I've been involved with will. It really is a safety issue.

:confused: pardon the ignorance

Camera

Road bike handlebars should be about the width of the riders shoulder. Therefore, it's difficult to get handlebars tangled up as shoulders and elbows make contact first. In a group this helps prevent handlebars get tangled. most other bikes are wider than shoulder width but aren't designed to be used in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go pro or similar as many copies will do the job. Attach to your person or helmet or bike itself. They come with many fitting types.

If you feel passes are close consider using wider roads or quieter ones or best option if possible stick to cycle lanes especially off road types as the less time spent on the road decrease any chance of been hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Maybe get a hi viz Jacket with " YES... I DO PAY ROAD TAX!" Written on it might help! :)

One with “NO. I DON’T PAY ROAD TAX, AND NEITHER DO YOU” might cause some confusion, but it’d be more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Camera
    endacl wrote: »
    One with “NO. I DON’T PAY ROAD TAX, AND NEITHER DO YOU” might cause some confusion, but it’d be more accurate.

I rather "I PAY EXACTLY THE SAME ROAD TAX AS YOU

i.e. None" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Riders cycling closely two abreast can occasionally glance off each other. Not a problem when both have standard drop bars but it can be messier if one has straight bars as omnipulse says, they can become entangled.

07Lapierre wrote: »

Or " the cycle lane has pot holes" must tell my mam to take a snap of big bertha and I'll post it up. She's in her 60's and still on the bike but is forced on the road by what can only be described a lunar crater on the cycle lane on her usual 10k route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Camera
    The book Cyclecraft has some good advice, and is worth a read. It has some critics for its sceptical attitude towards cycling-specific infrastructure, but it's largely regarded as a very good guide to dealing with common stressful situations and pitfalls.

It's available in the public library system.

The Galway Cycling Campaign made a leaflet that distilled some of its advice. I can send you a PDF if you like. It's very good, but the book, of course, covers a lot more territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

In general, things will get better as you become more used to it. Whether that's because you don't get as shaken by these incidents or because you get better at swerving them is another question though!
    A practical and easy step is to avoid the stretches where you feel most vulnerable. A detour down another street or lane can add an extra minute to your trip but make your morning or evening cycle a pleasure instead of a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Camera
    smacl wrote: »
    That and the fact that very many regular cyclists would use a bottle cage with bidon rather than disposable plastic bottle drinks.

Very true, not that it really matters at this point, as the poster I responded to has either had their post deleted by mods, or done a not-so-ninja delete of their own post. Not to mention that my response to the generalisation was meant as a secondary comment in the context of the thread, for which it is pretty off topic so I should probably have said nothing! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Camera
    cython wrote: »
    I responded to has either had their post deleted by mods,

MOD VOICE: Deleted by a delusional power hungry mod :pac: In reality though, post was off topic and intentionally or not, looked to be trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

If you are referring to my post...........well it was totally genuine and not trolling and I didnt delete it so blame the Mod.

My question may have been slightly off topic but the rest of the post wasnt and relevant but not popular.

Camera
    endacl wrote: »

And there i was thinking I'd come up with a new idea! :)

iPayRoadTaxJersey2018.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Camera
    To get back on topic, OP get a bike mounted camera and report each incident to the Guards.
    Only way drivers will change is if you do this.

Also don't be afraid to email insurance companies with videos of bad driving. Most drivers are insured with the big names, so easy enough to do.

Advertisement