Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Stops within Viewing Distance of each Other

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Like I said, I'd walk another 100m (on top of my current door to bus stop walk) to get a bus that went a bit faster. And I think most rush hour commuters would agree.

I think you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭john boye

brokenarms wrote: »
    150 route.
    Apparently FF councillor insisted on it .
    Pathetic .. Especially when a youth stops the bus to get out after its left the first stop.
    lazy.jpg

Came in to post that very one! It's utterly absurd. The bus has barely started and it's already stopping again. Must be the 2 closest in the network, pax have to get up and ring the bell for the second one before the bus is even near the first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

7 stop inbound, top of Churchview Rd is 130m from the next one on Church Rd

And then inbound opposite the Killiney shopping centre in only 150m from the next one at Drumkeen manor

Pearse St Shops in Sallynoggin to St Kevin's School, next stop and then around the corner to the stop outside Power City is 450m total between 4 stops.

As posters have amply demonstrated, it's chronic all over Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057382414/1/#post94326200

We had a great game around this very issue a few years ago

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057382414/1/#post94326200

We had a great game around this very issue a few years ago

I doubt that the the ludicrously short gap on Rathmines Road Upper can be beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

15 Route towards city centre.

Going up to Connoly takes usually 30 minutes, 30 stops!!!!!

it drives me nuts!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

R

151/27/77a another one. Crumlin hospital has 2 stops either way within 50m of each other. Then towards Dolphins barn there's a similar situation. And AGAIN on St. Luke's avenue.

On the inbound side, historically these routes stopped at the stop closest to Errigal Rd (used only by the 18). Ringsend Drivers cited "Health & Safety" as they found it difficult to pull out from a stop where a 122 would frequently be laying over. So the Ringsend routes moved to the stop in between the existing stop & the next one at Cooley Rd junction. Some time later, DB/Conyngham Rd drivers realised the 151 was left behind with the 18 and it was moved to the new stop with the rest of the routes, maybe Ringsend drivers are a bit more precious?

If anyone using joint up thinking had looked at this set of stops they would have realised that the solution here was to find a place to park the 122, rather than introduce a needless walk for pax joint this stop from Errigal Rd side.

I complained to DB at the time. They didn't want to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

About 9 metres walking distance between two stops on the 70 at Littlepace estate, which beats all these marathon 120 metre distances being posted.

Technically the bus travels more than that as the stops are on opposite sides of the road and the bus travels into the estate then out again before continuing into town. No real need for it to pick up on both sides of the road though, pretty mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

About 9 metres walking distance between two stops on the 70 at Littlepace estate, which beats all these marathon 120 metre distances being posted.

Technically the bus travels more than that as the stops are on opposite sides of the road and the bus travels into the estate then out again before continuing into town. No real need for it to pick up on both sides of the road though, pretty mad.
    Same situation with stops 3653 and 3655 in Swords. They are directly opposite each other, but both serve both directions of all passing buses (eg 102). What's worse is that the distance traveled between the two stops is barely a couple of hundred metres. Yet, you see people waiting at both.

I'd have thought it would be simpler for passengers (to avoid getting on the wrong bus) that one side would serve one direction, and the other side the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

There's three on the Drumcondra Road both ways, outside Pats which are ridiculously close. They added another bus stop in the middle only last year due to the new library opening. The opening of those two bus stops show that they haven't learnt any lessons anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

we've only got one stop in our town, but that's enough I guess as we only have 3 buses a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There are 2 stops about 110m apart on the road approaching the M1 through Holywell that the 142 bus takes. It's completely daft.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There are 2 stops on Cashel Road for the 83 and 18 about 100 metres apart. Then when the bus turns left onto Armagh Road there's a stop. 3 stops serving the same route about 400 metres apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

The 102 stopping on opposite sides of Montgorry Way an odd one too. Stops, goes round roundabout and then stops parallel. No traffic lights to cross the issue, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

The Lough in Cork has three bus stops for the 214...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I doubt that the the ludicrously short gap on Rathmines Road Upper can be beaten.

49m for the first two eastbound stops on the 123 outside the Supervalu in Walkinstown.

The last problem the 13 has or the 15 or 16 has is too many bus stops. The routes are just far too long with associated bottlenecks because they were designed to accommodate cuts by merging routes. The number of stops or the design of the stops can't solve that key issue.

The same stops in Clondalkin were no problem for the 51B and 51C to run on time like clockwork (even managing it with just one set of doors).:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

ED E wrote: »
    8 Doors down. You'd go that far to ask for a cup of sugar. The 15.

7twUHOt.png

Who takes 2 mins to walk 170m?

dfx- wrote: »
    49m for the first two eastbound stops on the 123 outside the Supervalu in Walkinstown.

Kudos - I'll grant you that one!!

Didn't see that one coming.

That's one of those locations where one of the two stops is a relatively recent addition (the terminus on Kilnamanagh Rd) - I'm surprised that they didn't set the second stop up as one where the 123 didn't stop given the proximity of the two.

They did that in Ballinteer where the last physical outbound stop on the 14 (the old 14/14A terminus) before the old 48A terminus is only served by the 161, while the 14 & 75 bypass it.

As I've said before there is a need for a review of stop locations, from both a proximity perspective and a design/safety/capacity perspective also.

But rather than a black and white "serve every second stop only" basis as someone suggested, this should be assesseed on a stop-by-stop basis looking at the individual circumstances of each sto.

ED E wrote: »
    8 Doors down. You'd go that far to ask for a cup of sugar. The 15.

7twUHOt.png

What you neglected to notice was the 550m gap from the first of those stops at Knockaire and the previous one at Knockcullen Rise.

The first stop ideally should be further back along the road, but there are few suitable locations to do so.

Again you're not looking at where people could in theory have to walk to/from to get to/from the stops.

Those two stops are outbound on the 15 not far from the terminus - I doubt the impact on the overall schedule is particularly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Seems a fairly reasonable estimate. 1K in 10/11 minutes would be a normal enough walk which is about 100/90 metres a minute.

People underestimate the length/time of 100/200 metres because of athletics on TV imo !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Seems a fairly reasonable estimate. 1K in 10/11 minutes would be a normal enough walk which is about 100/90 metres a minute.

People underestimate the length/time of 100/200 metres because of athletics on TV imo !

Maybe at its at preferred walking speed 5kph, I think I walk faster maybe, it's comparable to walking a football field and a half in 2 mins, that's pretty slow I would have thought?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Maybe at its at preferred walking speed 5kph, I think I walk faster maybe, it's comparable to walking a football field and a half in 2 mins, that's pretty slow I would have thought?

Dunno 'bout you, but I ain't one for marching.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

Infrastructure is not made based on your gait speed, it is made for all of us. Youngs, elders, healthy, disabled people.

Though I think a lot of stops are way too close, we have to think global

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have a colleague who is Chinese and her mother recently came over to visit her. Before she left my colleague asked her the strangest thing about Ireland, expecting food, culture etc. The answer she got was the really short distance between bus stops!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Google probably use minutes as the smallest division of time. Saying it would take one minute would imply a walking speed of over 10km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,998 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Ideally, a review of bus stop locations should form part of the Bus Connects project, including distance between stops and whether the stop design is adequate for the number of services using it and also from a safety perspective.

Definitely. I have seen a stop increase in usage by a few hundred percent since a secondary school opened inside it and it is now completely unsafe.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,998 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

devnull wrote: »
    It differs wildly by route to be honest, there are some routes, like the 40D for example where the last stage is down as Tyrrelstown but there are about 5-6 stops there.

There are also used to be some routes where one stop would be one stage and the next stop would be 2-3 stages later, but I can't remember what they were other than they ran past the Hermitage

This stages thing is just archaic at this stage. Talk about a hangover from hundreds of years ago.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This stages thing is just archaic at this stage. Talk about a hangover from hundreds of years ago.

I still have no ****ing clue how the stages thing is supposed to work. I had been told it was something to do with the number of stops but then in this thread we have somebody saying it has nothing to do with the number of stops, which is it? Can anybody explain?

If fares are supposed to be based upon stages then you should be able to get on a bus and say "X stages please" and pay for X stages. But good luck with that I bet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I still have no ****ing clue how the stages thing is supposed to work. I had been told it was something to do with the number of stops but then in this thread we have somebody saying it has nothing to do with the number of stops, which is it? Can anybody explain?

If fares are supposed to be based upon stages then you should be able to get on a bus and say "X stages please" and pay for X stages. But good luck with that I bet.

It's the same as having zones with the luas. Except there's more of them, they are per route and they aren't clearly identified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

A stage is just a location on a route. It mostly corresponds with a bus stop, it may not.

Take a look at a portion of the stage list on Route 69:
    37 63 Naas Rd. (Fox and Geese)
    38 62 Naas Rd. (John Sisk and Sons)
    39 61 Naas Rd. (Red Cow Inn)

There are outbound bus stops at Fox & Geese and Red Cow Inn, but not at John Sisk. There used to be one there years ago, but not any more. However, it's still a stage point in use to calculate the fare for the journey.

Advertisement