Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Stops within Viewing Distance of each Other

Options
  • 12-09-2017 10:22am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Really bloody irks me. 13 for example has no more than 5 stops in one direction in Clondalkin village, 3 are within 150m of each other, then the other 2 are less than 50m apart. People waiting at all of them. Cut the stops to 2 or 3 and you've saved time. There should be no problem for most people to journey a couple of seconds of their lives to the next stop.

151/27/77a another one. Crumlin hospital has 2 stops either way within 50m of each other. Then towards Dolphins barn there's a similar situation. And AGAIN on St. Luke's avenue.

I'm sure there's loads more but these are just stops along some of my common routes. It's really stupid and inefficient to have so many extra stops along a line.

/rant

Is it only me that gets irritated by this? Do you have similar thoughts? Does it drag down travel time for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Really bloody irks me. 13 for example has no more than 5 stops in one direction in Clondalkin village, 3 are within 150m of each other, then the other 2 are less than 50m apart. People waiting at all of them. Cut the stops to 2 or 3 and you've saved time. There should be no problem for most people to journey a couple of seconds of their lives to the next stop.

151/27/77a another one. Crumlin hospital has 2 stops either way within 50m of each other. Then towards Dolphins barn there's a similar situation. And AGAIN on St. Luke's avenue.

I'm sure there's loads more but these are just stops along some of my common routes. It's really stupid and inefficient to have so many extra stops along a line.

/rant

Is it only me that gets irritated by this? Do you have similar thoughts? Does it drag down travel time for you?

Sneak down at night and remove the offending ones. Shure the old, infirm, and sick can walk an extra hundred meters or two, feck 'em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which stops are only 50m apart? i had a look on google maps and the closest i could find were 120m apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

151/27/77a another one. Crumlin hospital has 2 stops either way within 50m of each other.

You'd be doing well to see one stop from the other around the corner. These stops are 150 metres apart.

I find it strange though that the distance between the stop immediately before the first of these two stops is significantly longer (600m) and I think it's why this pair stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

howiya wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to see one stop from the other around the corner. These stops are 150 metres apart.

I find it strange though that the distance between the stop immediately before the first of these two stops is significantly longer (600m) and I think it's why this pair stand out.

The stops he is talking about are outbound and about 100 meters apart. They are in clear view from each other. stop 2099 and stop 2101

It is common throughout the network.

Problem is local councillors will kick up a fuss about removing them. They dont care about the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

brokenarms wrote: »
    The stops he is talking about are outbound and about 100 meters apart. They are in clear view from each other. stop 2099 and stop 2101

It is common throughout the network.

Problem is local councillors will kick up a fuss about removing them. They dont care about the bigger picture.

OP is talking about both directions but my response only referred to the inbounds. (7043 and 1424) as I only tend to use the bus in one direction.

I'd move one of them (7043) rather than remove it. Nearer the junction of Errigal Road would make the distances between stops along that strip being closer to 300m. As i said before the distance between the stop at the Halfway House and 7043 is 600m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ideally, a review of bus stop locations should form part of the Bus Connects project, including distance between stops and whether the stop design is adequate for the number of services using it and also from a safety perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gravelly wrote: »
    Sneak down at night and remove the offending ones. Shure the old, infirm, and sick can walk an extra hundred meters or two, feck 'em.

A hundred meters to a bus stop will not make a difference. Are you proposing a bus stop outside every old persons door ?

Sorry but this is a tad on the silly side.

Bus stops beside each other on the same route is ridiculous it plagues the network too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Travelling along Walkinstown avenue this morning I came up behind a bus at a stop, indicating to pull out. I stopped to let it pull away, it started moving forward and then immediately indicated left and stopped at another bus stop.

Two stops right beside each other, I'd love to know how that is good for anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

The 39a/39 on the hartstown road is like that, stop after stop after stop, bus is only moving 30seconds before it's stopping again, which is one reason I avoid it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Those 2 pair of stops may appear close on the 13 route, but they are for completely different areas.

Inbound:
    - On top of Woodford Hill is for Monastery Rd.
    - The bottom of Woodford Hill is for the first part of Knockmitten.

Outbound,
    - Across from the Garda Station is for the North end of the village
    - By Molloys is for the South end of the village. Which would possibly more likely contend with the stop outside Moyle Park College.

Which others do you have an issue with? I haven't used it much around Bawnouge/Grange Castle since re-merging the 51 B/C. but most of the stops that appear close on that route do target a wider range of areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's the same on the 15 route at the top of the Ballycullen Road. Terminus is about 50m away from the next stop. It's ridiculous. And, of course, it affects fares as they go up depending on the number of stops you travel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's the same on the 15 route at the top of the Ballycullen Road. Terminus is about 50m away from the next stop. It's ridiculous. And, of course, it affects fares as they go up depending on the number of stops you travel.

The number of stages has no relation to the number of stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I agree with the concept of placing bus stops closer together where they are located nearer to major trip generators or where they are near to centres for the mobility impaired, such as nursing homes, hospitals and other HSE facilities. There are planning authorities that recommend bus stop distances should be 4 times more densely located near such places. What you're complaining about is the exception, not the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The 16 stops three times in the same straight section of 550m. Drop the middle stop, leave one at top and bottom of the hill.

Chances are if you can't walk 200m you cant walk 100m either nevermind walk to the destination at the far end. This OAP argument is silly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just a handy tip - if you pop the route number in here:
    http://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=rop

And click the route below and select inbount/outbound and show on map it'll show you all the stops for that route.

ED E wrote: »
    The 16 stops three times in the same straight section of 550m. Drop the middle stop, leave one at top and bottom of the hill.

Chances are if you can't walk 200m you cant walk 100m either nevermind walk to the destination at the far end. This OAP argument is silly.

Can you please post specific locations for these stops?

It's kind of difficult to assess your post without that kind of information?

Phil.x wrote: »
    The 39a/39 on the hartstown road is like that, stop after stop after stop, bus is only moving 30seconds before it's stopping again, which is one reason I avoid it.

Yes but look at the distance people may have to walk along spine roads to get to those stops in the first place.

There can be legitimate circumstances for stops being closer than 400m apart, and that's one location where it is warranted.

The number of stages has no relation to the number of stops.

Are you sure? On that route roughly every second stop is a stage (sometimes two in a row) so they certainly seem to correlate there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Are you sure? On that route roughly every second stop is a stage (sometimes two in a row) so they certainly seem to correlate there.

It differs wildly by route to be honest, there are some routes, like the 40D for example where the last stage is down as Tyrrelstown but there are about 5-6 stops there.

There are also used to be some routes where one stop would be one stage and the next stop would be 2-3 stages later, but I can't remember what they were other than they ran past the Hermitage

devnull wrote: »
    It differs wildly by route to be honestQUOTE]

I'd love to know how they're calculated. If I walked from my house to the shops I'd have walked two stages.

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Can you please post specific locations for these stops?

It's kind of difficult to assess your post without that kind of information?

1OFyVjl.png

Thats just off the top of my head.

Every stop is most definitely not a stage.

Look at the stage listing at the bottom of every bus timetable on the Dublin Bus website and that will be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Doesn't bother me at all. That said, I'd say I've been in 5 buses in the last 10 years. Got off the last one and got a taxi because I was bored.

8 Doors down. You'd go that far to ask for a cup of sugar. The 15.

7twUHOt.png

Densely populated areas will have multiple stops- it's been that way for decades for the older areas of Dublin- not sure how it works for more modern areas built over the last 20 years like Ballycullen etc.
    Personally i think it's fair enough. also, rather than one huge crowd at a bus-stop you have smaller groups which is usually safer in heavily built up areas where there's little room on the path.

ED E wrote: »
    1OFyVjl.png

Thats just off the top of my head.

I'd disagree with that.

Look at where people may be walking from to get to those stops - eliminating one would not be a good idea. You have to factor making the bus service useful as well - just simply removing stops because you think they're too close isn't always correct.

Now on the far side of the Dodder the northbound stop halfway up the hill should never have been put in place (it's relatively new and I can't understand why it was put there in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Paint every second stop purple and only stop at the purple ones during rush hour.

I'd walk an extra 100m to get on bus that went a bit faster.

Plus the extra diesel, wear and tear on brakes and engine caused by all the stops can be reduced by half.

Let the old folk wait until 10am to get their bus to the shops. They're not even paying ;)

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Paint every second stop purple and only stop at the purple ones during rush hour.

I'd walk an extra 100m to get on bus that went a bit faster.

Plus the extra diesel, wear and tear on brakes and engine caused by all the stops can be reduced by half.

Let the old folk wait until 10am to get their bus to the shops. They're not even paying ;)

You solve the issue of too many stops at peak times along a route by adding express services that stop at all stops in the outer areas and then operate limited stop en route to the city.

This sort of blasomments about stopping at every second stop is just nonsense I'm afraid - you have to look at each individual stop and look at where people are coming from to get it - some people may have already walked a significant distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

150 route.
    Apparently FF councillor insisted on it .
    Pathetic .. Especially when a youth stops the bus to get out after its left the first stop.
    lazy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

LXFlyer wrote: »
    You solve the issue of too many stops at peak times along a route by adding express services that stop at all stops in the outer areas and then operate limited stop en route to the city.

This sort of blasomments about stopping at every second stop is just nonsense I'm afraid - you have to look at each individual stop and look at where people are coming from to get it - some people may have already walked a significant distance.

Like I said, I'd walk another 100m (on top of my current door to bus stop walk) to get a bus that went a bit faster. And I think most rush hour commuters would agree.

Advertisement