Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tonight Show - Virgin Media One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Jaysis you would swear we were living in Communist Russia after listening to that..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Whats wrong with Eamon Dunphy? He looks blown up like a balloon and his speech is slurred

You can't get good coke in Dublin anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Gavin is like a Baby Matt Cooper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Al Porter and his people "people want a just society" and not tax breaks or changing of tax bands.

I've heard this concept a lot lately, that we as a country want a just society so are willing to pay more tax...I don't know about anyone else but f**k that. I'd much prefer to keep more of the money I've worked hard to earn than have it handed out to every scobe with a sob story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Elton John doesn't deserve this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I was underwhelmed by it all. It started out shouty, and that was just the presenters. It didn't improve, it was an odd panel and Eamon Dunphy looks ill. I like Ivan but I think Matt should do it on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was only half watching it but I think one or the other of them is enough. Let them do alternate nights and see how it goes.

Vinny is at home grinning and saying, "Ha ha. It took two of them to do what I did on my own.".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

doylefe wrote: »
    Al Porter and his people "people want a just society" and not tax breaks or changing of tax bands.

I've heard this concept a lot lately, that we as a country want a just society so are willing to pay more tax...I don't know about anyone else but f**k that. I'd much prefer to keep more of the money I've worked hard to earn than have it handed out to every scobe with a sob story.

As long you bear in mind that a wrong step on the stairs tonight where you bang your head and find yourself disabled as a result could render you some scobe with a sob story very fast. Or that your child might be born with a severe disability where you'll have to leave work to care for them etc - more scobiness for you. You're not home and dry yet Doylefe, you're still at the mercy of the fates and the economy. Most people requiring state help do so because they were unfortunate, not because they're scroungers. Sure there are some, too many, but the answer is not penalizing genuine cases.

I'm glib about tonight's program :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was underwhelmed by it all. It started out shouty, and that was just the presenters. It didn't improve, it was an odd panel and Eamon Dunphy looks ill. I like Ivan but I think Matt should do it on his own.

I think the opposite, keep Ivan, maybe Matt could be done without. I didn't think he added a lot, he tried a line of questioning re housing with Regina Doherty but she was too much a match for him and he had to retreat. He did a bit too much badgering with the same questions too. He doesn't tend to do conversation as well as Ivan, he can't play off the last thing someone just said as much.

I thought Al Porters last line was genius and summed up what most people feel regardless of their social policy leanings; we don't think politicians care...about anything much. We recognise a hackneyed soundbite when we hear it.

• Advertisement

As long you bear in mind that a wrong step on the stairs tonight where you bang your head and find yourself disabled as a result could render you some scobe with a sob story very fast. Or that your child might be born with a severe disability where you'll have to leave work to care for them etc - more scobiness for you. You're not home and dry yet Doylefe, you're still at the mercy of the fates and the economy. Most people requiring state help do so because they were unfortunate, not because they're scroungers. Sure there are some, too many, but the answer is not penalizing genuine cases.

I completely agree - unfortunately, any of us are only a GP appointment away from a life-changing diagnosis.

Someone close to me had zero tolerance of disability all through his life, the poor man ended up getting a horrifically debilitating condition himself and required 24-hour care. No one ever asks for these things but life can deliver unexpected challenges/setbacks unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

He is a smart lad, I've heard him a few times on Brendan O'Connor's 'Cutting Edge' and he was a great panellist.

Al was excellent on 'The Cutting Edge'. Intelligent guy.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ivan looks like George Hook in the distant shots.

I agree. He has aged a lot since he was last on TV. Was quite shocked to see him
    tonight.

The country is a kip.

Where have we heard that before? :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

Great show. Really enjoyed it. Will keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I have NO time for Regina Doherty. I hope the blogger, Catherine Kelly proceeds with legal action, what happened to her was wrong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/blogger-considers-legal-action-over-garda-caution-at-airport-1.3145958

That's shocking.
    Poor woman. Hope she's successful. Doubt she will be though what with her husband being a shinner.
    Talk about Jackboot on the necks of the average citizen. Chilling.
    No better woman than Doherty, true believer from the "law and order" party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I think the opposite, keep Ivan, maybe Matt could be done without. I didn't think he added a lot, he tried a line of questioning re housing with Regina Doherty but she was too much a match for him and he had to retreat. He did a bit too much badgering with the same questions too. He doesn't tend to do conversation as well as Ivan, he can't play off the last thing someone just said as much.

I thought Al Porters last line was genius and summed up what most people feel regardless of their social policy leanings; we don't think politicians care...about anything much. We recognise a hackneyed soundbite when we hear it.

I don't consider that Regina Doherty was a match for Matt Cooper. He was right to question her on her government's record on housing provision.

She didn't have much to say when he pointed out that the record is very poor.

She did her usual thing of interrupting people on radio and television interviews, talking over them - to try and ensure that the audience listening and watching, can't hear the question being asked of her - in an attempt to avoid answering the question that is being asked of her.

For example when the point was being put to her that the record of the current and last government on housing provision is very poor, she responds by saying something like 'Why wouldn't we want to build more houses?', in an attempt to avoid the point being put to her.

Here is a Journal.ie item, about an RTE Morning Ireland January 2017 interview, where she tried to pretend that she had not stated, in December 2016, that she would support landowners who might engage in civil disobedience, regarding the opposition to the development of the Eirgrid pylons.

In the Journal youtube item, at the 1 minute and 29 second mark, https://youtu.be/oTjXqcClCNw?t=89, is a photo of a post by Cathal Mac Coille, showing the statement she made where she said "We are about to enter a phase of civil disobedience to hamper the decision made by An Bord Peanala and I fully support the farmers and landowners in that action".

https://twitter.com/CathalMacCoille/status/811891595998072832

Below that is a number of articles indicating that she had stated that she would support landowners who might engage in civil disobedience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTjXqcClCNw

http://www.thejournal.ie/regina-doherty-civil-disobedience-pylons-facts-3201736-Jan2017/

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/minister-backs-farmers-and-the-community-in-eirgrid-disputes/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/regina-doherty-backs-civil-disobedience-plans-on-pylons-436451.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/fine-gael/253334-will-regina-doherty-resign-cabinet-back-civil-disobedience.html

On the topic of housing provision, this report will be of interest. It discusses government priorities regarding housing development.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/sites/default/files/assets/document/Investing%20in%20the%20Right%20to%20a%20Home%20Full_1.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Why are calling disabled people scobes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well it's not really a hard news show. More of a politics heavy afternoon magazine program. Only short of having some social media 'influencer' on to chat about the soaps. Cooper can do better in a better set up.

Would much prefer Ivan on his own. Matt in control - Ivan looking a tad emasculated! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pinkman

Enjoyed this, surprisingly.

I don't get why this isn't on Monday nights though? Surely it would make more sense to not have it on Mondays instead of Wednesday nights considering Pat Kenny is on then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pinkman wrote: »

I don't get why this isn't on Monday nights though? Surely it would make more sense to not have it on Mondays instead of Wednesday nights considering Pat Kenny is on then too?

Yes it's odd, Vin B would always be off on Wednesdays when Pat Kenny was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Pinkman wrote: »

I was thinking it had something to do with Claire Byrne being on of a Monday night

Yes it's odd, Vin B would always be off on Wednesdays when Pat Kenny was on.
    I reckon only political anoraks and current affairs junkies will be able to cope with the Wednesday night (10 - 12:05) line-up.

When I look at Matt & Ivan sitting together I keep thinking of this pair...

Screen-Shot-2014-06-05-at-121544.png

Matt is sitting on the left so .......does that mean he is the boss, like Dobbo? :D

Jaysus, Alan Kelly barely opens his mouth when he speaks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

Murphy out gunned. They just ignored him in the end LOL

I used to like Stephen Donnelly, I can't bring myself to forgive him for joining Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I used to like Stephen Donnelly, I can't bring myself to forgive him for joining Fianna Fáil.

the least we can hope for is that he makes the party a little more honest and actually does good for the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The biggest waster when it came to the water charges was Arrogant Kelly. He was the one who gave everybody €100 for nothing.

Advertisement