Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Who said anything about crimes?

Go ahead and knock yourself out.

Sanctimony and Condescension. Well played.

Like I said threads like this bring out the most immature instincts in people, yourself included.
    Its a licence to say anything against an individual without their right to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Buer wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

Another man who did a lot for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Like I said threads like this bring out the most immature instincts in people, yourself included. Its a licence to say anything against an individual without their right to reply.

Myself included? Care to point out where?.

You should read up on "Context". Might open up a whole new world for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I always thought it interesting how RTE found a formula and made it work for 10-15 years.

Rugby, soccer and GAA. 3 pundits.

#1 = Dramatic/loud
    #2 = Calm, talks a lot of sense
    #3 = Somewhere between the two.

#1 = George Hook, Eamonn Dunphy, Joe Brolly
    #2 = Conor O'Shea, John Giles, Colm O'Rourke
    #3 = Brent Pope, Liam Brady, Pat Spillane

I think it worked very well for the most part, much rather it to bland analysis on other channels, or 3 pundits who are all out and out fan boys.

Its a licence to say anything against an individual without their right to reply.
    Picking out any individual for personal attack on here is stupid and childish but seems par for the course.

True. But when you labelled Whelan as "smug", what was his reply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I always thought it interesting how RTE found a formula and made it work for 10-15 years.

Rugby, soccer and GAA. 3 pundits.

#1 = Dramatic/loud
    #2 = Calm, talks a lot of sense
    #3 = Somewhere between the two.

#1 = George Hook, Eamonn Dunphy, Joe Brolly
    #2 = Conor O'Shea, John Giles, Colm O'Rourke
    #3 = Brent Pope, Liam Brady, Pat Spillane

I think it worked very well for the most part, much rather it to bland analysis on other channels, or 3 pundits who are all out and out fan boys.

Exactly! Sky soccer panel is even more boring than the EPL, which is quite an achievement in fairness.

People tune in to see people like Dunphy and Brolly and Hook - before the Pollyannas intimidated him out of a job - because they like to hear someone with an opinion, rather than sounding like they are reading the back of a soup packet.

Brolly often annoys me too, but that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So you are comparing the two now?

Get a grip FFS.

This thread has gone bananas.

Its gradually getting into slanderous territory too.

Oh for crying out loud, get down of your high horse, he wasnt comparing the two of them as anyone can see but then i suppose some people love to be offended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Egotistical Clown of the highest order.

How RTE put up with him is beyond me.

Well, he managed to get his own thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lol slander??

Brolly would know all about that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

mickeyk wrote: »
    Brolly is not to be taken seriously at this stage. He knows his stuff but goes looking for controversial viewpoints so that he can stoke an argument. The analysis on RTE generally is weak. Dessie Dolan is simply unbearable, and Spillane and o'Rourke offer absolutely nothing at this stage. Ciaran Whealan is the best of them IMO.

I like Canavan on Sky and James Horan as well and I watch games there when I can. Dara O'Ceinneide is also very good. They analyse the game well. Does anybody actually enjoy watching the three stooges on RTE bickering over their personal opinions? I really can't see why anybody would want to watch that over good analysis.

I haven't got round to watching Sky Sports coverage, but I take it that please people with the quality of the pundits for hurling and football, commentary (who does it?) and presenters? (Remember what Brolly said about the girl?) Cameras better?

Worth tuning in?

Also, are they still attracting numbers in the UK?

I tend to like Brolly. You can see poor Pat, you can watch him roll his eyes to heaven when Joe talks, ya's swear he is going to burst him. Michael Lyster is still good though

On a side note, remember those brilliant Sunday World "Love him or Hate Him" Posters that use to adorn the sideline of every County ground in the country during the 1990's with a big sunny smiley Spillane - In the 1990's he was what Brolly is today. Spillane is to blame for Brolly . What did you expect from a man who use to blow kisses to the crowd, especially the opposing crowd when he scored a goal (brilliant)

Another side note, I remember in the 1990's when Bank of Ireland use to sponsor the Championship, over in the corner they use to get the paint and put their logo on each pitch (Blue box) , You see the Aussies do it. Surprised that the GAA haven't done it yet to milk more money. Bring back the Celtic Cross for the center of the pitch for AI Final Days and sod anyone moaning about it being a religious symbol. Gorgeous design

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Exactly! Sky soccer panel is even more boring than the EPL, which is quite an achievement in fairness.

People tune in to see people like Dunphy and Brolly and Hook - before the Pollyannas intimidated him out of a job - because they like to hear someone with an opinion, rather than sounding like they are reading the back of a soup packet.

Brolly often annoys me too, but that's the point.

How come Sky and co never adopted a slightly similar approach? Is it because Sky and even back in the day MOTD on BBC were a lot closer to the clubs and players and got inside stories and interviews? Or is it just the British mentality and culture not to have loud gashtly men on? BBC did have their own three of Jimmy Hill (bless) , Alan Hansen (who kind of reminds me of Brolly, but not as funny) and Trevor Brooking , along with Des and later Gary (who has grown into that role)

I like Graham Souness as a Pundit. Maybe he was just saying it to please the Irish press, but he was always amazed and complimentary to the way the Irish have completely free reign on what they can say. Like it or not , we are going to miss Eamo , baby. Johnny is still doing a good job on OTB when he gets technical about the game.

Islamaphobe...:eek:

Hopefully they will get young Ibrahim to throw the ball in next year, if he is not too busy doing stuff, like his chums in London..., ahem...

You can't appreciate nice designs and art? Philistine ! :D:cool:

Eh, if Ibrahim is what/who you say he is (time will tell) , the last place I want him and his friends is to be in a capacity filled Croke Park on one of the greatest days to be Irish . The fact that people's bags are being searched now a days, and not to see if there is booze in it, is frightening and a realization of how real the problems are close to us. But, hey , everyone loves us, we will be grand

Lt Dan wrote: »
    How come Sky and co never adopted a slightly similar approach? Is it because Sky and even back in the day MOTD on BBC were a lot closer to the clubs and players and got inside stories and interviews? Or is it just the British mentality and culture not to have loud gashtly men on? BBC did have their own three of Jimmy Hill (bless) , Alan Hansen (who kind of reminds me of Brolly, but not as funny) and Trevor Brooking , along with Des and later Gary (who has grown into that role)

I like Graham Souness as a Pundit. Maybe he was just saying it to please the Irish press, but he was always amazed and complimentary to the way the Irish have completely free reign on what they can say. Like it or not , we are going to miss Eamo , baby. Johnny is still doing a good job on OTB when he gets technical about the game.

You could do an interesting thesis on decline of English soccer punditry mirroring the decline of the game into soap opera!

Greaves and St. John were good. I would rather have eyes poked out with rusty spoon than watch EPL but Giles is always good to listen to on the wireless when they let him ramble on about the old days.

As for Sky, Canavan is brilliant analyst, I like Horan and our boy Senan provides a bit of lightness, but its Sky formula, RTE letting the boys at it is much better crack.

You could do an interesting thesis on decline of English soccer punditry mirroring the decline of the game into soap opera!

Greaves and St. John were good. I would rather have eyes poked out with rusty spoon than watch EPL but Giles is always good to listen to on the wireless when they let him ramble on about the old days.

As for Sky, Canavan is brilliant analyst, I like Horan and our boy Senan provides a bit of lightness, but its Sky formula, RTE letting the boys at it is much better crack.

Ron Aktinkson (ah, the ITV days, Coca Cola Cup and European Football) and the fall of Andy Grey (without him and Keyes there would have been no Monday Night Soccer on Sky ) would be the key moments I would imagine .

Horan use to be great on OTB, I remember he came out with some funny comments (they way he would say it) when commentating. I remember he marveled over a shoulder put in on one player) Canavan during his TV3 days has come a long way.

Used to severely not like Horan when he was with Mayo, but he is gas man, and one of best readers of the game. He would actually be a good foil to JB, come to think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

He also does a lot for charity, probably more than you, so a bit of balance is required.

So did Lance Armstrong, but he was/is one odious vile individual.

Not saying brolly is comparable because for a start brolly was never a world beater with or without doping.
    Hell speaking of doping the best thing that could be done is to give him a few spiffs to calm him down.

I haven't met him, but a few people I know who have aren't particularly enamoured with him.
    I think arrogant tosspot was one of the phrases used to describe him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

This whole thread is bordering on slanderous, hence I'm locking it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement