Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Joe Brolly is the best pundit imo

I love his straight talking

Yes he can be fortright in his views But whats the point in agreeing with everyone else on the panel?

That would make for boring tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I found it funny,one minute they were saying how great Dublin are and next they are on about splitting the county up

Not sure why it's funny - surely the two views are not incompatible? They are quite related in fact. Does anyone seriously think that Colm O'Rourke would be as worried about splitting the county so that "young players in Dublin would get a chance" if the Dublin senior team wasn't so strong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

bob50 wrote: »

Yes he can be fortright in his views But whats the point in agreeing with everyone else on the panel?

Yeah, he's easily the most interesting pundit. However he is very pass-remarkable when he doesn't need to be and not a great listener.

bob50 wrote: »

But being a pundit involves 2 issues, the message and the delivery. A pundit who may be incisive but delivers the analysis in a dull monotone may be criticised for it. Similarly a pundit who offers no real analysis but is amiable will be found out. The problem with Brolly is not what he says, it can be interesting, it's the very irritating way he gets it across. And that's a pity, because it's something that he could work on. Showing courtesy to his fellow pundits and allowing them speak would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Brolly's delivery is simply horrific in my opinion. When somebody else is talking he won't shut up and is all barbed comments and Trump style needling. But when the camera goes back to him?

Then it is leaning back and far slower speech patterns where he can't get his point out because he is trying so hard to dress it up in flowery language. You can almost see the wheels turning as he tries to think of some romantic phrasing, he knows his point but rather than just say it straight he has to pontificate, which ends up with the camera moving on to somebody else and then Brolly jumping in out of turn to try and make the point that he didn't articulate when he had the ****ing chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Brolly is not to be taken seriously at this stage. He knows his stuff but goes looking for controversial viewpoints so that he can stoke an argument. The analysis on RTE generally is weak. Dessie Dolan is simply unbearable, and Spillane and o'Rourke offer absolutely nothing at this stage. Ciaran Whealan is the best of them IMO.

I like Canavan on Sky and James Horan as well and I watch games there when I can. Dara O'Ceinneide is also very good. They analyse the game well. Does anybody actually enjoy watching the three stooges on RTE bickering over their personal opinions? I really can't see why anybody would want to watch that over good analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Nearly all the pundits are the same. Its difficult to get a truly objective one. Spillane, Whelan, etc all put on their county's jersey whenever their team is playing. Can't stand Whelan myself, completely smug and one dimensional.

At least Joe is a bit of craic, and Spillane doesn't take himself too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

'Biceps, triceps ohhhhh'

'If I had a body like that I'd be wearing a tanktop too'

The Connolly love in yesterday was a bit much and by 2 grown men

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Irritating, rude, and acts like a spoilt primary shool pupil. He could at times be insightful, but generally not and is just spouting ****e for the sake if it.

Should he decide to sit up straight in his chair, have a few elocution lessons and engage his brain BEFORE opening his mouth, I have no doubt he would go far.

Sadly I cannot bare him anymore, so cannot watch any commentary panel he is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Oldtree wrote: »
    Irritating, rude, and acts like a spoilt primary shool pupil. He could at times be insightful, but generally not and is just spouting ****e for the sake if it.

Should he decide to sit up straight in his chair, have a few elocution lessons and engage his brain BEFORE opening his mouth, I have no doubt he would go far.

Sadly I cannot bare him anymore, so cannot watch any commentary panel he is on.
    Elocution lessons:pac: Surely you're joking?

I think you've hit on one of the reasons some don't like him; because he's an uppity Nordie.

I always liked him, always thought he was the best pundit on RTE GAA. After reading this thread and the opinions of those posters who "can't abide him etc.", I've more time for him now than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I blame Cork for losing in '93, harsh Tony Davis being sent off but if Derry hadn't won a 'soft' All Ireland we'd probably have been spared him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

PTH2009 wrote: »
    'Biceps, triceps ohhhhh'

'If I had a body like that I'd be wearing a tanktop too'

The Connolly love in yesterday was a bit much and by 2 grown men

As Lansman said at the wake for Jimmy in the Wire:

"After that unfortunate homoeroticism.."

Seriously though, Brolly is good. Whole point of TV punditry is to say something more than "oh that was a great goal from Callaghan, Messi."

Which is why RTE still have edge in all sports than rivals. They even miss Hookie from the rugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Spillane would give you a pain about Kerry, Marc o shea is a very clever reader of the game, Dessie would turn milk sour listening to him and on Sunday was so much for mayo it was hard to listen too, o rourke talks a bit of sense at times, Joe talks too much and this is what RTE want a bit of controversy, the gooch is very poor at getting his point over, Whelan is just sitting back being smart arse,
    Need to get a panel like the way off the ball done before the hurling, Tommy Walsh was hilarious and could talk about the game.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Elocution lessons:pac: Surely you're joking?

I think you've hit on one of the reasons some don't like him; because he's an uppity Nordie.

I always liked him, always thought he was the best pundit on RTE GAA. After reading this thread and the opinions of those posters who "can't abide him etc.", I've more time for him now than ever.

You now really really like him because people find him irritating?

That's deep maaaaaaaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

What does Joe Brolly say that's controversial?

He delivers populist opinions in an over-the-top manner.

The only really controversial statements I can recall him making have been completely uncalled for, personal attacks on individuals in the GAA. Other than that, it's the usual 'Mayo are losers', 'Sky are bad'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I think he is a excellent pundit, and as a person he is a very generous man. Didn't he donate a Kidney to his sick friend. Says a lot about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You now really really like him because people find him irritating?

That's deep maaaaaaaan.
    Part of the job of a pundit is to upset the applecart from time to time, he certainly does that with a few on here. He's the stand out pundit on Gaelic Football on RTE too many of the others are cosy consensus types. He's also good at reading a game, he predicted exactly what Mayo were going to do v Kerry and what they had to do against Donaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brolly is arrogant, condescending ignorant little man. I've had the displeasure of meeting him and he's a vile human being.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Part of the job of a pundit is to upset the applecart from time to time, he certainly does that with a few on here.

Oh no harm in anyone upsetting the prevailing opinion with controversial analysis. But think what gets to people with Brolly is just that he seems naturally irritating. Talking over people or making smart comments in the background is not really upsetting the applecart, it's just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Oh no harm in anyone upsetting the prevailing opinion with controversial analysis. But think what gets to people with Brolly is just that he seems naturally irritating. Talking over people or making smart comments in the background is not really upsetting the applecart, it's just annoying.

This exactly. He doesn't say anything off-centre that anyone would disagree with, he just says it in a really obnoxious way.

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Brolly is arrogant, condescending ignorant little man. I've had the displeasure of meeting him and he's a vile human being.

He also does a lot for charity, probably more than you, so a bit of balance is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

He also does a lot for charity, probably more than you, so a bit of balance is required.

I believe he doesn't charge for any of his various charity work

He can't be all that vile

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kudos for the charity work but that doesn't change the fact that he's an obnoxious smart alec.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I like him as a pundit and entertainer for the most part.
    But the talking over others I am always curious about. He dose it so much.
    Is it because he is a barrister, and used to having people listen to him when he speaks?
    If he was representing me as a defendant and he kept talking over the prosecutor like that, even I'd want him to stop. Even though he might be talking sense, it's rude, and ultimately people end up ignoring the point because of how it was made.

Is it because he is a barrister, and used to having people listen to him when he speaks?

I doubt he's like that in his job, in fairness to him, because it's the opposite of being a barrister where you get to argue, but there is a certain order. You can rarely jump in when the other side is making a point, and repeated efforts to cut in or gimmicks like smart comments or pulling faces will usually annoy a Judge.

So you are comparing the two now?

Its gradually getting into slanderous territory too.

Stop being dramatic. The point the poster was making was simply that just because someone dies charity work for free, doesn't absolve them from other behaviours.

Stop being dramatic. The point the poster was making was simply that just because someone dies charity work for free, doesn't absolve them from other behaviours.

What crimes exactly did Joe Brolly commit?

Actually, maybe its time this thread was reported to Mods.

Picking out any individual for personal attack on here is stupid and childish but seems par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Didn't he make a smart comment about the singer too

yep he said "And she's still out tune"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

The single biggest thing with him that wrecks my head is his name dropping. ''I was talking to such and such'' or ''he text me saying''

• Advertisement

What crimes exactly did Joe Brolly commit?

Who said anything about crimes?
    Actually, maybe its time this thread was reported to Mods.

Go ahead and knock yourself out.
    Picking out any individual for personal attack on here is stupid and childish but seems par for the course.

Sanctimony and Condescension. Well played.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement