Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dublin over rated

• 18-09-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Dublin are over rated .when you look at it they pull from a population of 1 millon natives
    Mayo and kerry pick from 100k or so .
    If dublin were to field 6 ,7 or 8 teams they just won't rate at all .
    You have to look at it from a outside prospective .
    Mayo are one hell of a good team considering they have such a small population same with kerry and the rest .
    If you pictched the best of the rest v's dublin .Dublin would be demolished .
    Imo dublin are over rated .

Comments

Is there a million people who play gaelic football in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Might as well repost this from another forum

Dublin have so much advantages over the rest of the counties that they have no excuses for not winning easily every year. I'm not trolling by the way-genuinely believe that.

Huge playing population.

Huge money ploughed in.

Great resources all located in a small geographical area. Best of everything provided.

Back room team looking after every possible area of the preparation and all headed up by the great Jim Gavin...it's no wonder he's so modest.

He knows well that the dubs have no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'll bite even though I know I shouldn't.

Whatever about splitting the county into north and south..you now want us to field 6/7/8 teams?

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Agree .Dublin to be a great county should be winning 8 out of 10 all ireland ,otherwise they don't stack up when you compare .can't compare apples and oranges .
    When they win 8 out of 10 then I will be the first to praise them .but in the last 100 yrs it hasn't happened.
    So I do find it a bit amusing to watch them strut their chins high. It's like a guy with a Ferrari beating a mirca and taking applause for his skillfully driving when a donkey could have driven it to win

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

That's an interesting, original, thought provoking statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Collie D wrote: »
    I'll bite even though I know I shouldn't.

Whatever about splitting the county into north and south..you now want us to field 6/7/8 teams?

Jaysus

Ill go even further. Kerry minors are doin' well, 4 in a row and all that, time to cut off Cliifford's thumbs and big toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

kerry cow wrote: »
    Agree .Dublin to be a great county should be winning 8 out of 10 all ireland ,otherwise they don't stack up when you compare .can't compare apples and oranges .
    When they win 8 out of 10 then I will be the first to praise them .but in the last 100 yrs it hasn't happened.
    So I do find it a bit amusing to watch them strut their chins high. It's like a guy with a Ferrari beating a mirca and taking applause for his skillfully driving when a donkey could have driven it to win

For Dublin to be overrated you would be saying other counties in Ireland are underrated.

Which counties in Ireland are underrated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Somebody has been listening to pat Kenny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Somebody has been listening to pat Kenny!

Never.

Well if dublin are fairly spilt in to two team .then enjoy the win .Sam will be travelling north south and west in the years to come .
    And also congratulations on yesterday .they won it , given the circumstances of the day ,you can only play by the guidelines that are in place . Just saying it's slanted with the player pool .
    Then again they have stole a few finals now by a piont .
    The gap is not as big as the pundits say but it just goes to show how good the rest of the competing counties really are .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well if dublin are fairly spilt in to two team .then enjoy the win .Sam will be travelling north south and west in the years to come .
    And also congratulations on yesterday .they won it , given the circumstances of the day ,you can only play by the guidelines that are in place . Just saying it's slanted with the player pool .
    The gap is not as big as the pundits say but it just goes to show how good the rest of the competing counties really are .

Been thinking about this idea of splitting Dublin up. Had a little thought experiment.

What if Dublin had been split in two in 2010 or 2011? Well, Mayo would have won 4 out of the last 6 All-Irelands.

In order to make it competitive, we would have to split Mayo as well. Where does that leave us? Well, Kerry would have won 6 of the last 7 All-Irelands. Can't have that either, split Kerry.

Now what have we? Maybe nobody would have been able to break down the Jim McGuinness blanket defence and we would have had puke football all around the place. Maybe Galway, Tyrone and Tipperary would have won All-Irelands.

So that's what it would have taken in 2010 to make the All-Ireland competitive. Split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and possibly Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Or. You can only beat whats in front of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin are over rated .when you look at it they pull from a population of 1 millon natives
    Mayo are one hell of a good team considering they have such a small population same with kerry and the rest .

I agree very overrated . Off their last 75 games Dublin have only won 60 games drawn 8 and lost 7 Scored 108-1227(1551) Conceded 50-891(1041). I suppose a great side would have 65/70 games??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Ah will you give it a rest. No need for stupid excuses when a team is dominating like the dubs are, reeks of jealousy. I'm from Kerry myself and I'm embarrassed that someone with Kerry in their username is at this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dublin are over rated

kerryme2-752x501.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

So of the Dublin population: 

How many people are from outside Dublin but still captured here on the census as resident in Dublin, how many are foreign nationals with no roots here or interest in the GAA. I work on a team in Dublin city with 14 other people, only 3 from Dublin, the rest of them all live in Dublin and are a mixture of foreign nationals and other counties in Ireland. 
    Yes our population might be 1m but our target population for GAA is smaller, more competition with other sports in Dublin too.  Yes our target population is bigger than other counties, but it always has been! So why now? What about when Kerry did 3, 4 or 5 in a row or Kilkenny in the Hurling doing 4 in a row... where was the shouts of splits then? Dublin finally get their **** together from a coaching and management point of view and the "anyone but Dubs" are out with the "down with this placards"....silly stuff.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/scale-of-dublin-aig-sponsorship-deal-puts-all-ireland-champions-in-different-league-1.1555444?mode=amp

Money money money. Unfair advantage, there's no doubt.

That's before we discuss the playing population dwarfing every other county.

And playing in Croker so much can't hurt either.

Can someone from Dublin disprove these clear advantages that their county has over the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

From the full squad yesterday there isn't a county in Ireland that would take 15+ of those for their own squad. Yeah the population is bigger but there are no average players in that team.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/scale-of-dublin-aig-sponsorship-deal-puts-all-ireland-champions-in-different-league-1.1555444?mode=amp

Can someone from Dublin disprove these clear advantages that their county has over the rest?

It's OK, I've figured out what we need to do to even things up, split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal, give the rest a chance.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Been thinking about this idea of splitting Dublin up. Had a little thought experiment.

What if Dublin had been split in two in 2010 or 2011? Well, Mayo would have won 4 out of the last 6 All-Irelands.

In order to make it competitive, we would have to split Mayo as well. Where does that leave us? Well, Kerry would have won 6 of the last 7 All-Irelands. Can't have that either, split Kerry.

Now what have we? Maybe nobody would have been able to break down the Jim McGuinness blanket defence and we would have had puke football all around the place. Maybe Galway, Tyrone and Tipperary would have won All-Irelands.

So that's what it would have taken in 2010 to make the All-Ireland competitive. Split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and possibly Donegal.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's OK, I've figured out what we need to do to even things up, split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal, give the rest a chance.

That doesn't address the absurd advantages that Dublin alone have over the rest. No matter how many times you repeat it.

It's only the top 35 of that population making up the panel. Surely even Leitrim has a top 35 players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Population is one thing but Antrim the most populated county in ulster is also the weakest by far. Cork aren't exactly uprooting any trees right now either despite their population advantage.

Success in gaelic football comes down to how well the county is setup behind the scenes. Kerry have always had the best club setup in the country e.g. underage level is also key. Dublin didn't just happen to pluck this current squad of players out of thin air. Majority came from the 2010-2014 under 21 all Ireland winning sides that we in Roscommon were unfortunate enough to run into three times during that period :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sure, Dublin fans were out numbered at least 2:1 yesterday. Also Mayo are the big spenders 

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

That doesn't address the absurd advantages that Dublin alone have over the rest. No matter how many times you repeat it.

Either you want to get rid of single team dominance (by whichever team that is) or you have a problem or a chip on your shoulder with Dublin.

We need to split Tipperary, Cork and Kilkenny in hurling too, maybe give a bit of Kilkenny to Carlow or something.

It is typical Irish begrudgery to try and stop the successful and we see that in spades about this Dublin team.

What is really weird though is that the same people who want to break Dublin up maintain that they are not the greatest gaelic football team ever.

munster87 wrote:
    Ah will you give it a rest. No need for stupid excuses when a team is dominating like the dubs are, reeks of jealousy. I'm from Kerry myself and I'm embarrassed that someone with Kerry in their username is at this kind of nonsense.

Not at all .I Co gratulate them on their win .
    Not taking that way from them .
    Not one bit jealous at all .kerry were not at the races this year and no way do they deserve to be in the final .
    Just making the piont that mayo are a really good team and that dublin have such a large pool of players and resources .
    Do you disagree with my last statement ??
    I just think if you were to level the playing field a little then they would not look as good as they do .
    I am entitled to my opinion and you should get pissd because if someone say something you don't agree with .

jon1981 wrote: »
    Sure, Dublin fans were out numbered at least 2:1 yesterday. Also Mayo are the big spenders 

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Dublin should be split into about 3-4 teams to make the competition any way meaningful going into the future.

I'd like to hear ppl justify leaving it the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭jacool

Two points.
    1. The Super 8 system is going to make Dublin's task a little bit easier, but more interesting. Easier because there is no other county with a squad to survive 3 big matches with a quick turnaround, which clearly could be attritional. Interesting because they'll be going on the road for (at least) one match.
    2. When Colm O'Rourke mentioned splitting up Dublin, he couched it as a way to give more players an opportunity of playing at the highest level. He believes that there is a lot of talent in the county that will never see the big time. Maybe deep down he wants to see the blue train derailed so that Meath etc. might get a chance again, but he sounded genuine enough. How far away could we be from an All-ireland final featuring Fingal?

• Advertisement

Dublin should be split into about 3-4 teams to make the competition any way meaningful going into the future.

OK. Because Dublin is a county. That fields a county team. Every year. Even the years that Dublin doesn't win.

Why not amalgamate weaker counties, by your logic? Hup Leitrommon!

endacl wrote:
    It's only the top 35 of that population making up the panel. Surely even Leitrim has a top 35 players?

Most other countries are more evenly populated ,unlike the capital .
    And yes the smaller populated counties are at a even bigger disadvantage.

Again I'll bite...how would you split the county into 3/4? Or 6-8 as per the OP?

Actually going back to the OP I've just spotted a flaw in the argument. If the team is over-rated surely there is no need to split them at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Not one bit jealous at all .kerry were not at the races this year and no way do they deserve to be in the final .
    Just making the piont that mayo are a really good team and that dublin have such a large pool of players and resources .
    I just think if you were to level the playing field a little then they would not look as good as they do .
    I am entitled to my opinion and you should get pissd because if someone say something you don't agree with .

Never said I was pissd, said I was embarrassed. Do I disagree that Dublin have a large pool of players and resources? No. They did from 95 to 2011 as well though.

If one single kick of the ball had gone the other way yesterday, this thread wouldn't exist, because you wouldn't have started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I'm from Dublin. I have never played bog ball. None of my family or friends played bog ball. None of the people I worked with played bog ball. A handfull of people(out of 1000) in my secondary school played bog ball.
    I'm sorry to hurt your feelings and this is probably blasphemy down the shticks but GAA is not very important to most dubs.
    2million people in Dublin. 50% female. That leaves 1million males. Approx 200k are of an age to play senior bog ball. Of those 200k probably only 50k play it in any form and of that 50k only about 2000 would be good enough to be even considered for senior selection. Realistically theres probably only 200 players to pick from.
    There would be 200 males in a good sized bogger town and I guarantee you at least 180 play bog ball age. And there's probably 50 of these towns in each county. So each county has about 10k of lads of playing bog ball. 5000 of which are of senior bog ball age.

There's not that much difference between the the only winners for the last 3 years and all the turf munchers in fairness.

• Advertisement

Also will the split be for football only? Because the hurlers haven't exactly been pulling up trees. Are Fingal still knocking around in Division 3?

Collie D wrote: »
    Also will the split be for football only? Because the hurlers haven't exactly been pulling up trees. Are Fingal still knocking around in Division 3?

Stop complicating things. They'll be after handball next.

endacl wrote: »
    Stop complicating things. They'll be after handball next.

The camogie team too, think of the girls! What about the U-17s? Should we split them before they get a chance to win the thing? Think of the chidren.

munster87 wrote: »
    Never said I was pissd, said I was embarrassed. Do I disagree that Dublin have a large pool of players and resources? No. They did from 95 to 2011 as well though.

The big money came in with the AIG deal.

Unfair advantage.

The smaller counties (like the one I am from) are at the greatest disadvantage.

The big counties are fairly well matched except for the embarrassment of wealth and resources that Dublin has -disproportionately-its fcuking up the inherent competitiveness we all want in the gaa.

Solution -split Dublin into 3-4 counties and let them sink or swim same as all the other similarly sized counties.

Solution -split Dublin into 3-4 counties and let them sink or swim same as all the other similarly sized counties.
    No.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    No.

Why not? Are you saying that the dubs do not have an unfair advantage ? Please explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Unfair advantage.

The big counties are fairly well matched except for the embarrassment of wealth and resources that Dublin has -disproportionately-its fcuking up the inherent competitiveness we all want in the gaa.

AIG sponsorship is €1 million per year split between Men's senior football/ Hurling, Ladies Senior Football and Camoige and the minor teams as above so €1 million between 8 teams! Kerry GAA raised €1million at a US fundraiser one year before you factor in their Kerry deal! Amazing how people who know nothing about GAA assume the entire AIG sponsorship is just for the men's senior football team.

How us the same sponsors not helped the Hurlers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Trampas

Do you think the top players would rather beat Dublin or a split variation of them?

I bet the gooch and all prefer to beat Dublin than the parishes of x, y and z

You'd think that New York or London would be winning it as how many live in them cities

Fattes wrote: »
    AIG sponsorship is €1 million per year split between Men's senior football/ Hurling, Ladies Senior Football and Camoige and the minor teams as above so €1 million between 8 teams! Kerry GAA raised €1million at a US fundraiser one year before you factor in their Kerry deal! Amazing how people who know nothing about GAA assume the entire AIG sponsorship is just for the men's senior football team.

How us the same sponsors not helped the Hurlers?

The aig deal is only part of the big money pie Dublin has every year. As you already knew anyway.

Collie D wrote:
    Actually going back to the OP I've just spotted a flaw in the argument. If the team is over-rated surely there is no need to split them at all?!

You know exactly what I mean ,therefore there's no need to provoke me 😎😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

If you're going to say Dublin are overrated then you'll have to declare the standard on which you believe the general consensus places them at.

From what I've heard the point being made is that they are the best team in the country? They are the current all-Ireland champions.....so that's that box ticked.

Next:

I've heard them described as comfortably the best team in the country: Well they won most of their matches this season at a canter. Mayo were the only team to give them a game in the Championship. Dublin performed well below their own standards, while Mayo, a team which had dragged their way to the final, performed well beyond theirs......and still lost. Fine Dublin didn't win the league, and mixed some mediocre results in with some blowout wins, the Championship is the true acid test.....and Dublin passed the test.

There is no clear claim to say they are the best team in the history of the game. But let's assume that was the narrative being presented, they've won 3 in a row, 4 in 5, and 5 in 7.....they aren't far off going into uncharted territory. There is certainly a chance for them to stake that claim.

What is your general point, that unless they're the best team of all time that nobody is allowed to praise them?

"If you pictched the best of the rest v's dublin .Dublin would be demolished ."....if you pitched any county and pitched them against the best of the rest, the best of the rest would be pretty much the Dublin team.

Mayo have a good team right now, but they don't have a heritage of success in the sport. I suspect they will slide in standards when this crop of players reaches its end.

How many notable sportspeople from Kerry have there ever been outside of Gaelic Games? Have there been any?

Who is the best ever soccer player from Kerry?
    Who is the best ever boxer from Kerry?
    Who is the best ever golfer from Kerry?
    Who is the best ever snooker player from Kerry?
    Who is the best ever rugby player from Kerry?
    Who is the best ever cyclist from Kerry?
    Who is the best ever runner/athlete from Kerry?

Actually let's go closer to home....who is the best ever HURLER from Kerry?

It's very easy to consider Dublin to have an embarrassment of riches, but the reality is Dublin spreads out a sporting interest and doesn't specialise. Kerry's sole sporting interest seems to be Gaelic football. It's therefore no surprise that they've been able to win so often. If Dublin specialised like Kerry did then they'd probably have 100 All-Ireland titles, and Ireland would have never been to a World cup of any description and would be virtually anonymous to the sporting world in any respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

GAA is only really popular in Dublin north and west areas, south not so much though Cuala and Kilmacud are huge clubs with a pick bigger than some county teams. A Dublin North and a South-west team is proabably the way to go but the GAA wouldnt want that as their is no guarantee these teams would be successful and the GAA wants a strong Dublin team filling croker every year keeping their coffers filled

Why not? Are you saying that the dubs do not have an unfair advantage ? Please explain
    Ezplanation: It's a stupid idea and won't ever happen. About a stupid as this one...

"Dublin realistically spreads as far as Dublin Bus and Dublin accents do. Therefore the Dublin Senior Football Panel should be allowed draw players from the surrounding commuter counties of Wicklow, Kildare and Meath. Basically, if you can kick a ball, say 'story bud', and can get a DB home, you're from Dublin."

How ridiculous does that sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Why stop there though. Why not split Galway and mayo into four so that its fair to Leitrim and Sligo?

Mayo can start by giving us balla back and Westmeath can stop stealing large parts of Athlone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Unfair advantage.

3-4 counties? Are you having a laugh?
    Sorry pal, Carlow still won't lift the Sam.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement