Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

dublin over rated

Options
  • 18-09-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Dublin are over rated .when you look at it they pull from a population of 1 millon natives
    Mayo and kerry pick from 100k or so .
    If dublin were to field 6 ,7 or 8 teams they just won't rate at all .
    You have to look at it from a outside prospective .
    Mayo are one hell of a good team considering they have such a small population same with kerry and the rest .
    If you pictched the best of the rest v's dublin .Dublin would be demolished .
    Imo dublin are over rated .

Comments

Is there a million people who play gaelic football in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Might as well repost this from another forum

Dublin have so much advantages over the rest of the counties that they have no excuses for not winning easily every year. I'm not trolling by the way-genuinely believe that.

Huge playing population.

Huge money ploughed in.

Great resources all located in a small geographical area. Best of everything provided.

Back room team looking after every possible area of the preparation and all headed up by the great Jim Gavin...it's no wonder he's so modest.

He knows well that the dubs have no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'll bite even though I know I shouldn't.

Whatever about splitting the county into north and south..you now want us to field 6/7/8 teams?

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Agree .Dublin to be a great county should be winning 8 out of 10 all ireland ,otherwise they don't stack up when you compare .can't compare apples and oranges .
    When they win 8 out of 10 then I will be the first to praise them .but in the last 100 yrs it hasn't happened.
    So I do find it a bit amusing to watch them strut their chins high. It's like a guy with a Ferrari beating a mirca and taking applause for his skillfully driving when a donkey could have driven it to win

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

That's an interesting, original, thought provoking statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Collie D wrote: »
    I'll bite even though I know I shouldn't.

Whatever about splitting the county into north and south..you now want us to field 6/7/8 teams?

Jaysus

Ill go even further. Kerry minors are doin' well, 4 in a row and all that, time to cut off Cliifford's thumbs and big toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

kerry cow wrote: »
    Agree .Dublin to be a great county should be winning 8 out of 10 all ireland ,otherwise they don't stack up when you compare .can't compare apples and oranges .
    When they win 8 out of 10 then I will be the first to praise them .but in the last 100 yrs it hasn't happened.
    So I do find it a bit amusing to watch them strut their chins high. It's like a guy with a Ferrari beating a mirca and taking applause for his skillfully driving when a donkey could have driven it to win

For Dublin to be overrated you would be saying other counties in Ireland are underrated.

Which counties in Ireland are underrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Somebody has been listening to pat Kenny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Somebody has been listening to pat Kenny!

Never.

Well if dublin are fairly spilt in to two team .then enjoy the win .Sam will be travelling north south and west in the years to come .
    And also congratulations on yesterday .they won it , given the circumstances of the day ,you can only play by the guidelines that are in place . Just saying it's slanted with the player pool .
    Then again they have stole a few finals now by a piont .
    The gap is not as big as the pundits say but it just goes to show how good the rest of the competing counties really are .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well if dublin are fairly spilt in to two team .then enjoy the win .Sam will be travelling north south and west in the years to come .
    And also congratulations on yesterday .they won it , given the circumstances of the day ,you can only play by the guidelines that are in place . Just saying it's slanted with the player pool .
    The gap is not as big as the pundits say but it just goes to show how good the rest of the competing counties really are .

Been thinking about this idea of splitting Dublin up. Had a little thought experiment.

What if Dublin had been split in two in 2010 or 2011? Well, Mayo would have won 4 out of the last 6 All-Irelands.

In order to make it competitive, we would have to split Mayo as well. Where does that leave us? Well, Kerry would have won 6 of the last 7 All-Irelands. Can't have that either, split Kerry.

Now what have we? Maybe nobody would have been able to break down the Jim McGuinness blanket defence and we would have had puke football all around the place. Maybe Galway, Tyrone and Tipperary would have won All-Irelands.

So that's what it would have taken in 2010 to make the All-Ireland competitive. Split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and possibly Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Or. You can only beat whats in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin are over rated .when you look at it they pull from a population of 1 millon natives
    Mayo and kerry pick from 100k or so .
    If dublin were to field 6 ,7 or 8 teams they just won't rate at all .
    You have to look at it from a outside prospective .
    Mayo are one hell of a good team considering they have such a small population same with kerry and the rest .
    If you pictched the best of the rest v's dublin .Dublin would be demolished .
    Imo dublin are over rated .

I agree very overrated . Off their last 75 games Dublin have only won 60 games drawn 8 and lost 7 Scored 108-1227(1551) Conceded 50-891(1041). I suppose a great side would have 65/70 games??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Ah will you give it a rest. No need for stupid excuses when a team is dominating like the dubs are, reeks of jealousy. I'm from Kerry myself and I'm embarrassed that someone with Kerry in their username is at this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dublin are over rated

kerryme2-752x501.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

So of the Dublin population: 

How many people are from outside Dublin but still captured here on the census as resident in Dublin, how many are foreign nationals with no roots here or interest in the GAA. I work on a team in Dublin city with 14 other people, only 3 from Dublin, the rest of them all live in Dublin and are a mixture of foreign nationals and other counties in Ireland. 
    Yes our population might be 1m but our target population for GAA is smaller, more competition with other sports in Dublin too.  Yes our target population is bigger than other counties, but it always has been! So why now? What about when Kerry did 3, 4 or 5 in a row or Kilkenny in the Hurling doing 4 in a row... where was the shouts of splits then? Dublin finally get their **** together from a coaching and management point of view and the "anyone but Dubs" are out with the "down with this placards"....silly stuff.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/scale-of-dublin-aig-sponsorship-deal-puts-all-ireland-champions-in-different-league-1.1555444?mode=amp

Money money money. Unfair advantage, there's no doubt.

That's before we discuss the playing population dwarfing every other county.

And playing in Croker so much can't hurt either.

Can someone from Dublin disprove these clear advantages that their county has over the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭LeBash

From the full squad yesterday there isn't a county in Ireland that would take 15+ of those for their own squad. Yeah the population is bigger but there are no average players in that team.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/scale-of-dublin-aig-sponsorship-deal-puts-all-ireland-champions-in-different-league-1.1555444?mode=amp

Can someone from Dublin disprove these clear advantages that their county has over the rest?

It's OK, I've figured out what we need to do to even things up, split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal, give the rest a chance.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Been thinking about this idea of splitting Dublin up. Had a little thought experiment.

What if Dublin had been split in two in 2010 or 2011? Well, Mayo would have won 4 out of the last 6 All-Irelands.

In order to make it competitive, we would have to split Mayo as well. Where does that leave us? Well, Kerry would have won 6 of the last 7 All-Irelands. Can't have that either, split Kerry.

Now what have we? Maybe nobody would have been able to break down the Jim McGuinness blanket defence and we would have had puke football all around the place. Maybe Galway, Tyrone and Tipperary would have won All-Irelands.

So that's what it would have taken in 2010 to make the All-Ireland competitive. Split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and possibly Donegal.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's OK, I've figured out what we need to do to even things up, split Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal, give the rest a chance.

That doesn't address the absurd advantages that Dublin alone have over the rest. No matter how many times you repeat it.

It's only the top 35 of that population making up the panel. Surely even Leitrim has a top 35 players?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Population is one thing but Antrim the most populated county in ulster is also the weakest by far. Cork aren't exactly uprooting any trees right now either despite their population advantage.

Success in gaelic football comes down to how well the county is setup behind the scenes. Kerry have always had the best club setup in the country e.g. underage level is also key. Dublin didn't just happen to pluck this current squad of players out of thin air. Majority came from the 2010-2014 under 21 all Ireland winning sides that we in Roscommon were unfortunate enough to run into three times during that period :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sure, Dublin fans were out numbered at least 2:1 yesterday. Also Mayo are the big spenders 

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

That doesn't address the absurd advantages that Dublin alone have over the rest. No matter how many times you repeat it.

Either you want to get rid of single team dominance (by whichever team that is) or you have a problem or a chip on your shoulder with Dublin.

We need to split Tipperary, Cork and Kilkenny in hurling too, maybe give a bit of Kilkenny to Carlow or something.

It is typical Irish begrudgery to try and stop the successful and we see that in spades about this Dublin team.

What is really weird though is that the same people who want to break Dublin up maintain that they are not the greatest gaelic football team ever.

munster87 wrote:
    Ah will you give it a rest. No need for stupid excuses when a team is dominating like the dubs are, reeks of jealousy. I'm from Kerry myself and I'm embarrassed that someone with Kerry in their username is at this kind of nonsense.

Not at all .I Co gratulate them on their win .
    Not taking that way from them .
    Not one bit jealous at all .kerry were not at the races this year and no way do they deserve to be in the final .
    Just making the piont that mayo are a really good team and that dublin have such a large pool of players and resources .
    Do you disagree with my last statement ??
    I just think if you were to level the playing field a little then they would not look as good as they do .
    I am entitled to my opinion and you should get pissd because if someone say something you don't agree with .

jon1981 wrote: »
    Sure, Dublin fans were out numbered at least 2:1 yesterday. Also Mayo are the big spenders 

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Dublin should be split into about 3-4 teams to make the competition any way meaningful going into the future.

I'd like to hear ppl justify leaving it the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭jacool

Two points.
    1. The Super 8 system is going to make Dublin's task a little bit easier, but more interesting. Easier because there is no other county with a squad to survive 3 big matches with a quick turnaround, which clearly could be attritional. Interesting because they'll be going on the road for (at least) one match.
    2. When Colm O'Rourke mentioned splitting up Dublin, he couched it as a way to give more players an opportunity of playing at the highest level. He believes that there is a lot of talent in the county that will never see the big time. Maybe deep down he wants to see the blue train derailed so that Meath etc. might get a chance again, but he sounded genuine enough. How far away could we be from an All-ireland final featuring Fingal?

• Advertisement

Dublin should be split into about 3-4 teams to make the competition any way meaningful going into the future.

I'd like to hear ppl justify leaving it the way it is.
    OK. Because Dublin is a county. That fields a county team. Every year. Even the years that Dublin doesn't win.

Why not amalgamate weaker counties, by your logic? Hup Leitrommon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement