Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident on London Underground

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

xckjoo wrote: »
    The "refugees". Why take any in? Why are Japan or China not taking any? Why should Ireland take any refugees?

Because we're part of the EU. We have to tow the line with other European counties. Part of the deal.
    So your solution is?

I don't have one. Don't pretend to have one. Don't pretend to even know how to start addressing it. But I can admit that.
    So you don't have Independence? Tell me something I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/909543450462359553
    So they arrest one of the suspects, a refugee. But Liam Cunningham wanted boat loads of them to just walk into Ireland. What a d*ckhead he is.

Ah Liam another Terror Sympathiser who said if these lads did not get their way they get guns and kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭xckjoo

So you don't have Independence? Tell me something I didn't know.

That is the answer. No two ways about it. If you want that to change we have to leave the EU. Lets see how Brexit goes before we start thinking about that :D

The exact opposite. The current system is completely broken so I'm all open to suggestions for change.

Hardly.. You've just pointed out that you're against any change that involves the reduction of rights for immigrants because it might later allow the reduction of rights for yourself.

How do you expect any solution to not involve the reduction of rights for immigrants/refugees?
    You know that already happens don't you? The likes of MI5/6 are constantly preempting attacks, but they can't catch them all.

Yup. I'm aware. It's remarked often enough in the news.
    Again this already happens. Refugees have all kinds of restrictions on them when they come to a country (work, movement, voting, etc.). Are you suggesting there should be extra restrictions? We could potentially keep them locked up until it's proven, but that's more likely to push them towards radicalization instead of away from it.

Okie dokie. I'll bite a little.

Personally, I think we should prevent any more from coming in and deal with those that are currently in Europe. Those that are not genuine asylum seekers (in real fear of their lives), should be expelled back to their countries unless they have passed the normal immigration requirements (work sponsors, levels of education, crinimal record checks etc). Those that have already passed citizenship processing should be given the opportunity to choose if they wish to stay or move on to a different continent.

All public displays of religion to be banned. (Islamic, Catholic, etc) All of them. The right to follow your religion in the home but nothing outside the home and place of worship. Religious laws like Sharia are banned, and only the common law of the land has any bearing. (No more than one wife)[No Sharia courts like the UK did] No Immigrants allowed to have more than two children until they're in Europe for twenty years without any family member performing any terrorist activity.. if they do, then the whole family is expelled. Make them directly responsible for each other.

Imprisonment is not the answer because it's just a drain on our resources. Expel them and let the find a place in S.America, Africa or Asia. Those that have the skills and educational levels to not be a drain on our resources, should be allowed to apply for citizenship... But true citizenship with an embracing of the host countrys culture, language, etc. Those that don't show a genuine effort to intergrate should be expelled after one year. Keep all other forms of immigration and Visa's to only those nationals from approved countries.

Anyone who commits a terrorist act (and survives) should be interrogated... and then shot. :D

I could go on... but there's little real point. I know what I described above will get shot down and would never be accepted.
    Is that the reason or is it because it's a complex issue without a simple solution?

Simple solution,... hmm... Oh.. sure.. convert all our requirements for oil to Gas/Alt Energy, Nuke all the M.East, , and repopulate the area in a few hundred years. The surviving terrorists cells would eventually be hunted down and destroyed.

There you go. Simple. :rolleyes:
    Look, I'm fairly neutral in all this. I'm just sick of people moaning about liberals suppressing their opinions and excessive Political Correctness, while not going to the effort of actually thinking things through. It's the same ****e, just from a different point of view.

Fact is, most of us have thought these things through, and have come to some rather nasty conclusions about what needs to change within Western society if we have any hope of defeating this threat. But we're generally not going to go into any real detail because the PC brigade are in power... and it's rather fashionable to stand on the top of a moral pesdestal and proclaim how enlightened they are. You'll see this soon enough when people start tearing apart what I suggested above. ;)

Now.. how about you sit at home quietly for 20 minutes thinking on the subject and post your own opinions on how the problems should resolved..? After all, you're doing the very thing, you're complaining about others. You're criticising without providing any solutions. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I assume every poster saying those with any awareness and/or suspicion of extremism should be punished for not reporting it to the police will be immediately in touch with their local authorities over this and this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Billy86 wrote: »
    I assume every poster saying those with any awareness and/or suspicion of extremism should be punished for not reporting it to the police will be immediately in touch with their local authorities over this and this?

Secondary problem / reaction. You should read Douglas Murrays book, he speaks about it.

Pretty big difference here - the guy is openly saying a bullet needs to be put in our head of state. That is a point blank call for terrorism. Then he's gone and said we need to become terrorists ourselves. I don't recall Tommy Robinson openly saying Theresa May or David Cameron "needs a bullet" or that British people need to enact terrorism, in fact I've seen him supporters/sympathisers/apologists/whatever you want to call them point this out on numerous occasions.

There are multiple posters in this thread saying if you see something like this (extremist, terrorist behaviour and rhetoric) and do not report it, it should be considered a crime. Will they report this to the Gardai?

Pretty big difference here - the guy is openly saying a bullet needs to be put in our head of state. That is a point blank call for terrorism. Then he's gone and said we need to become terrorists ourselves. I don't recall Tommy Robinson openly saying Theresa May or David Cameron "needs a bullet" or that British people need to enact terrorism, in fact I've seen him supporters/sympathisers/apologists/whatever you want to call them point this out on numerous occasions.

There are multiple posters in this thread saying if you see something like this (extremist, terrorist behaviour and rhetoric) and do not report it, it should be considered a crime. Will they report this to the Gardai?

I don't agree with what he said, but what he said is a symptom of the main problem, and in reality that poster isn't alone in his thinking at all. I would say it's a widespread thought in the back of alot of peoples minds. ( edit: Just to be clear, I'm not talking about shooting Politicians, that part of what he said is ridiculous and dangerous to me ) It's an unavoidable human reaction to what's happening around Europe IMO and inevitably with increasing social problems and terror attacks when the Government and Media do everything in their power to downplay what's happening normal people are going to take the law into their own hands. I'll repeat I don't agree with what he said, but IMO, it's exactly what Douglas Murray is talking about.

Have you?
    There are multiple posters here who by their own standards would want to be reporting this as soon as they get the chance, though in the interests of public safety I might well do so. I assume those same posters will be doing so themselves?

Local garda station contact info, phone and email, can be found here - http://www.garda.ie/stations/default.aspx

Noel82 wrote: »
    I don't agree with what he said, but what he said is a symptom of the main problem, and in reality that poster isn't alone in his thinking at all. I would say it's a widespread thought in the back of alot of peoples minds. It's an unavoidable human reaction to what's happening around Europe IMO and inevitably with increasing social problems and terror attacks when the Government and Media do everything in their power to downplay what's happening normal people are going to take the law into their own hands. I'll repeat I don't agree with what he said, but IMO, it's exactly what Douglas Murray is talking about.

Oh yeah I get that there are reasons for some people acting like that (though if it is unavoidable we would all be doing it), but that's not the point here - that poster is openly calling on people to commit terrorist acts and that our own head of state 'needs a bullet'. Saying it should not be reported is like saying stumbling upon someone talking about bombing a London tube train on a forum with a high number of Muslims should not be reported because Muslims are unhappy with what has gone on in the middle east for the last long while. There are posters here who should essentially consider themselves criminals if they do not do something about that.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I get that there are reasons for some people acting like that (though if it is unavoidable we would all be doing it), but that's not the point here - that poster is openly calling on people to commit terrorist acts and that our own head of state 'needs a bullet'. There are posters here who should essentially consider themselves criminals if they do not do something about that.

Check my post, I edited it to be clear. That part of what he said I don't sympathize with at all, or any extremism. I'm trying to talk about the human reaction of the so called PC Brigade, the media and spineless Politicians doing everything in their power to downplay a huge problem, certainly the biggest social problem I've seen in my lifetime. Even so I'll stand by what I said originally, this is all a secondary reaction to a problem that hasn't been dealt with by Governments or mainly the EU in this case, and has been allowed to fester for far too long. Perhaps too long for there ever to be a credible solution.

Noel82 wrote: »
    Check my post, I edited it to be clear. That part of what he said I don't sympathize with at all, or any extremism. I'm trying to talk about the human reaction of the so called PC Brigade, the media and spineless Politicians doing everything in their power to downplay a huge problem, certainly the biggest social problem I've seen in my lifetime. Even so I'll stand by what I said originally, this is all a secondary reaction to a problem that hasn't been dealt with by Governments or mainly the EU in this case, and has been allowed to fester for far too long. Perhaps too long for there ever to be a credible solution.

Funny that, I threw in my own edit before you replied to mine. :p

Added in to say - 'saying it should not be reported is like saying stumbling upon someone talking about bombing a London tube train on a forum with a high number of Muslims should not be reported because Muslims are unhappy with what has gone on in the middle east for the last long while.'

I get that there are issues making people very angry and frustrated in Europe, but I'm sure more or less every person saying any info on extremism or terrorism not being reported should be treated as a crime would pay no notice of the middle east issues as a reason to not report, so they should probably get reporting the terror threats we got on boards earlier tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Because we're part of the EU. We have to tow the line with other European counties. Part of the deal.

I don't have one. Don't pretend to have one. Don't pretend to even know how to start addressing it. But I can admit that.

Or we dould just do what the Poles and Hungarians have done and tell Merkel where to go. Pay the fines because that is all the EU will be able to do. Fine us

Or tell her - Sure, we'll take in Refugees. Yazidi Christians only.

After all, they are the most persecuted of all those affected in the Region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Hello officer, I'd like to report a keyboard warrior.

Hello officer, I'd like to report a keyboard warrior.
    I take it you're not concerned about terrorism, so?

I take it you're not concerned about terrorism, so?

I take it you believe that guy is going to assassinate Halawa and Varadkar so?

I take it you believe that guy is going to assassinate Halawa and Varadkar so?
    I take it if you heard a Muslim lad talking about how Irish civilians and politicians should be shot you would laugh it off as a big nothing, right?

I take it if you heard a Muslim lad talking about how Irish civilians and politicians should be shot you would laugh it off as a big nothing, right?

On boards? Yeah.

On boards? Yeah.
    Well then according to some posters here you should be considered a criminal. Hopefully they get the chance to report those threats like they said anybody should.

Well then according to some posters here you should be considered a criminal. Hopefully they get the chance to report those threats like they said anybody should.

Are you going to the station tomorrow yourself? Or will you just stand by and let poor Leo and Ibrahim take a bullet from the internet marksman with the basement come armory that he most definitely has to have?

• Advertisement

Are you going to the station tomorrow yourself? Or will you just stand by and let poor Leo and Ibrahim take a bullet from the internet marksman with the basement come armory that he most definitely has to have?

Might be worth chucking a quick email just to have it on record alright, but I'm not one of the people who was pushing the argument that knowing about threats like that and failing to report them should be a criminal offense, am I?

The hypocrisy if they don't is pretty blatant.

Considering the slagging that goes on here on boards regarding Trump, the poster population of boards would be decimated if anyone was taking these posts seriously...

Might be worth chucking a quick email just to have it on record alright, but I'm not one of the people who was pushing the argument that knowing about threats like that and failing to report them should be a criminal offense, am I?

The hypocrisy if they don't is pretty blatant.

I'm pretty sure everyone else can see those posts for what they are. You're being deliberately obtuse to make a silly point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

There are multiple posters here who by their own standards would want to be reporting this as soon as they get the chance, though in the interests of public safety I might well do so. I assume those same posters will be doing so themselves?

Local garda station contact info, phone and email, can be found here - http://www.garda.ie/stations/default.aspx

"Hello officer this is Billy86 from Boards.ie, i'd like to repo....."

Gardai hangs up and continues to eat his ham sandwich.

That video was very interesting take on the problem at hand. Thanks Noel82

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ah no worries.

The lefter than left Dutch MEP Judith Sargentini has got your back since she was appointed in a special committee to tackle deficiencies in the fight against terrorism. As a vice-president no less.

Unfortunately there is this 1 tweet from 2015 that keeps following her but since she is on the good side of the thought police, she gets away with it:

9d41457960b12783839b20d6537be37c.png

Tr: There is no proof whatsoever that there are IS fighters amongst the refugees on the boats to Europe. it is all hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hardly.. You've just pointed out that you're against any change that involves the reduction of rights for immigrants because it might later allow the reduction of rights for yourself.

How do you expect any solution to not involve the reduction of rights for immigrants/refugees?

I really don't think that I did. Certainly didn't intend to. Maybe you're reading between lines that aren't there?

Yup. I'm aware. It's remarked often enough in the news.

Okie dokie. I'll bite a little.

Personally, I think we should prevent any more from coming in and deal with those that are currently in Europe. Those that are not genuine asylum seekers (in real fear of their lives), should be expelled back to their countries unless they have passed the normal immigration requirements (work sponsors, levels of education, crinimal record checks etc). Those that have already passed citizenship processing should be given the opportunity to choose if they wish to stay or move on to a different continent.

All public displays of religion to be banned. (Islamic, Catholic, etc) All of them. The right to follow your religion in the home but nothing outside the home and place of worship. Religious laws like Sharia are banned, and only the common law of the land has any bearing. (No more than one wife)[No Sharia courts like the UK did] No Immigrants allowed to have more than two children until they're in Europe for twenty years without any family member performing any terrorist activity.. if they do, then the whole family is expelled. Make them directly responsible for each other.

Imprisonment is not the answer because it's just a drain on our resources. Expel them and let the find a place in S.America, Africa or Asia. Those that have the skills and educational levels to not be a drain on our resources, should be allowed to apply for citizenship... But true citizenship with an embracing of the host countrys culture, language, etc. Those that don't show a genuine effort to intergrate should be expelled after one year. Keep all other forms of immigration and Visa's to only those nationals from approved countries.

Anyone who commits a terrorist act (and survives) should be interrogated... and then shot. :D

I could go on... but there's little real point. I know what I described above will get shot down and would never be accepted.

Simple solution,... hmm... Oh.. sure.. convert all our requirements for oil to Gas/Alt Energy, Nuke all the M.East, , and repopulate the area in a few hundred years. The surviving terrorists cells would eventually be hunted down and destroyed.

There you go. Simple. :rolleyes:

Almost none of those solutions are implementable on any level and you aren't clear if you're talking about illegal immigrants, refugees or legal immigrants so that doesn't help. But here's some quick replies.

We can't stop people from coming in. Italy, Greece, Spain, etc have been trying forever and hasn't stopped them. They don't want to have to shoulder all the burden so we all take some. As I mentioned before, we'd have to leave the EU to gain the kind of say you want.
    Regarding religion, for one thing you'll have your nan up in arms if you try to ban Catholic displays (old people vote so good luck getting a politician to look at pissing them off). You'll have everyone up in arms when Paddys Day is banned. In fact you'll have a whole load of people up in arms with that religion ban. Just because you aren't religious doesn't mean most people aren't. How do you stop people having kids? Or how do you punish people for giving birth when they aren't "registered" to without screwing up the childs life (and producing a troubled adult that burdens the state)? You can't ship illegal immigrants to whatever country you feel like. They won't take them. They already try to ship them to their home country but illegal immigrants throw away passports, etc. to hide nationality. Is there Sharia law in Ireland? I'm not aware of any. Are you suggesting something like the Dutch model of integration? Sounds okay but haven't looked into how it's panned out for them. No complaining when tax money is pigeon holed for this instead of (e.g.) roads though. We don't have enough natural resources to power the country nor the raw materials and heavy industry to produce gas risers, wind farms, hydroelectric plants, nuclear plants, etc. We could use less energy I suppose but that would mean people giving up cars, electricity, heating, etc.

Fact is, most of us have thought these things through, and have come to some rather nasty conclusions about what needs to change within Western society if we have any hope of defeating this threat. But we're generally not going to go into any real detail because the PC brigade are in power... and it's rather fashionable to stand on the top of a moral pesdestal and proclaim how enlightened they are. You'll see this soon enough when people start tearing apart what I suggested above. ;)

Now.. how about you sit at home quietly for 20 minutes thinking on the subject and post your own opinions on how the problems should resolved..? After all, you're doing the very thing, you're complaining about others. You're criticising without providing any solutions. ;)

This right here is my issue. People throw out stupid ideas and then claim it's the PC brigade gone mad when people point out that it's a stupid idea. It's as moany and self-serving as the SJWs with their safe spaces and made up pronouns.

There's no solution that anybody can even touch on that could be though of in 20 mins. You're vastly underestimating the scale of the issue. I'm not complaining about people criticising without providing a solution because there clearly isn't a simple solution. I'm complaining about people stating that just doing X,Y and Z would solve the issue when it wouldn't. And then acting all butt hurt when that's pointed out to them.

I really don't think that I did. Certainly didn't intend to. Maybe you're reading between lines that aren't there?
    The problem is that these immigrants are people too and no matter how you feel about them, allowing their rights to be eroded is only opening the door for everyones rights to be eroded. If you're happy for that to happen, that's one thing. But we should all be extremely aware of what that might bring. It took a long time to get where we are and I personally don't want to throw that away because I'm afraid.

I dont think I'm reading between the lines. I responded to what you wrote. That you're against anything that erodes their rights.
    his right here is my issue. People throw out stupid ideas and then claim it's the PC brigade gone mad when people point out that it's a stupid idea. It's as moany and self-serving as the SJWs with their safe spaces and made up pronouns.

There's no solution that anybody can even touch on that could be though of in 20 mins. You're vastly underestimating the scale of the issue. I'm not complaining about people criticising without providing a solution because there clearly isn't a simple solution. I'm complaining about people stating that just doing X,Y and Z would solve the issue when it wouldn't. And then acting all butt hurt when that's pointed out to them.

Lol. I was going to reply to everything [had already written four quoted responses] but then I saw this. The only reason you asked for people to post suggestions to resolve the problem, was so that you could find flaws with it and shoot it down.

You don't want solutons.. you want justification for your own lack of solutions.. :rolleyes:

You proved my point all by yourself. Well done. :D Cased closed.
    [No need to discuss this further since you're closed to anything that changes the status quo.]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I just noticed this, hadn't heard anything about it. On the 14th of August. Was it another one?

https://www.joe.ie/news/one-dead-several-injured-car-drives-paris-restaurant-2-598232

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I just noticed this, hadn't heard anything about it. On the 14th of August. Was it another one?

https://www.joe.ie/news/one-dead-several-injured-car-drives-paris-restaurant-2-598232

He'd tried to kill himself the previous week and they thought it was down to psychiatric issue rather than terrorism.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement