Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's boards.ie issue with people with a learning disability?.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hammer89 wrote: »
    See, this type of condescending tone is literally why we're here in the first place, because you tried to be funny by suggesting his keyboard farted and caused offence. Did you have previous knowledge of his posting history before you wrote that? I'm not joking - it genuinely upsets me that you don't see that this is my point.
    Oh, I get your point all right. But it's a redundant point. That's what's funny. You jumped on board, all righteously indignant, and now you're stuck in a peripheral feedback loop of righteous indignity.

:D

If I say I accept your pointless point will you let it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

endacl wrote: »

Seriously doubt it. Sure isnt he upset now.

his keyboard farted and caused offence.
    Just for clarity. We have no evidence that his keyboard actually farted. Also, the keyboard caused no offence. It wasn't the keyboard's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

endacl wrote: »
    Oh, I get your point all right. But it's a redundant point. That's what's funny. You jumped on board, all righteously indignant, and now you're stuck in a peripheral feedback loop of righteous indignity.

:D

No, what's funny is that a terrible joke about a farting keyboard contributed to a 17-page thread about dyslexia. There's that emoji again.

No, what's funny is that a terrible joke about a farting keyboard contributed to a 17-page thread about dyslexia. There's that emoji again.

:D:D

• Advertisement

I know what I said and theres nothing wrong with it. Its perfectly logical for the OP to put in place some mitigating factors if he has an issue with people pulling him up on his posting style. Same as we all should.....eh simple.

People interpret things differently all the time...just like you have been. Its not my responsibility, thats up to each individuals comprehension skills. Nothing to do with me.

Your counter arguments are getting more pointless, you are misinterpreting posts and using them as a base for your next post, you have labelled me as a consistent liar then backtraced then demanded I apologise multiple times.

No ironically you just misinterpreted that post about lying. I didn't mean to suggest you lied about anything. That's not backtracking, merely me accusing you of the precise thing you're accusing me of: misinterpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yes but it's in a heap because he has dyslexia mate, not because he didn't take his time and proof read which you suggested he didn't. And you did suggest that. You literally wrote: "I do know that if the OP wants to shield himself from future incidents like this, he needs to take his time, proof read and then post."

Given that a difficulty with proof reading and scanning written sentences is an indicator of dyslexia, you absolutely owe him an apology, as does Anna for bringing up syntax because it turns out that dyslexic people also struggle with syntax.

You's both should say sorry, but you won't. And yet he's the one with the bad attitude apparently.

Apologise for what? For not having psychic abilities to discern a dyslexic post from a lazy post? Maybe the op should apologise for stating every user on boards has a problem with learning disabilities.

anna080 wrote: »
    Apologise for what? For not having psychic abilities to discern a dyslexic post from a lazy post? Maybe the op should apologise for stating every user on boards has a problem with learning disabilities.

For not checking whether a difficulty with syntax was synonymous with dyslexia before you criticised the syntax in his post.

And you're right, he should. I already said he overreacted. I just feel he was within his rights to be upset about those posts which I believe were nowhere near as sensitive and tactful as you and others were suggesting them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Please welcome tonight's headline act "Farting Keyboards and the Passive Aggressive Emojis"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hammer89 wrote:
    Yes but this post was in Legal Issues mate, not After Hours. In Legal Issues, I'm assuming he wanted his post to be as well written as possible in order to get the best answer possible, but the fact he was oblivious to how poorly written it was (or simply incapable of improving it) is a huge indicator for me that there's an underlying problem.

Don't refer to me as mate.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Don't refer to me as mate.

Pal.

Cheers for the help Spider Web.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hrududu wrote: »
    Please welcome tonight's headline act "Farting Keyboards and the Passive Aggressive Emojis"

They will be supported buy nutjobs and the grammar police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

This is why I really hope boards will let me do a AMA

I will explan in great detail anything that I am asked about deslexa.

I am stepping back from this thread as it went so off topic and proves there is problem with understand deslexa in Ireland one of my goals in life is to do talks about it in schools to help kids who have it understand it better and don't let it stop you do anything in your life.

I know my issues with it. It's in all my reports the very same issues with very small improvements. I would love to get my deselxa tested again and see how far I came in in the past 8 years but at 700 euros it's a lot of money to see it.

As one thing I said before people who have deselxa have skills on other areas mine is computers. Some is act some is working on cars we just put our time into something else

It's learning disability that I have. It's something I wish I didn't have some day and some days it's maybe the best gift to have as I have a different way of learning things to others I had to come up with different ways to learn stuff and it worked in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Nice post OP, hope to see more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have a brother with autism, dyspraxia, and severe dyslexia and other learning difficulties. He uses an iPad in school because he cannot write. I see his frustration when he cannot express himself due to his disabilities. To imply people have a problem with you because of your learning impairment disgusts me.
    People have a problem with you because of your attitude. You're playing the martyr with this "raise awareness" crap. You reap what you sew, maybe if you weren't so aggressive and arrogant in how you go about things, people would be kinder to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    People have a problem with you because of your attitude. You're playing the martyr with this "raise awareness" crap. You reap what you sew, maybe if you weren't so aggressive and arrogant in how you go about things, people would be kinder to you.

This a million times!

I have a brother with autism, dyspraxia, and severe dyslexia and other learning difficulties. He uses an iPad in school because he cannot write. I see his frustration when he cannot express himself due to his disabilities. To imply people have a problem with you because of your learning impairment disgusts me.

+ 1000.

OP, your attitude actually makes it harder for other people who struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

JFK was another famous dyslexic who rose to the top. In a time when the condition was not as understood as it is today.

How the hell did he become a lawyer. Massive props to the guy.

I think his defensiveness is most probably shaped by people like Enda taking the piss out of him in real life, making him far more liable to fly off the handle. Has it not occured to anyone that he's this hot-headed for a reason and maybe, just maybe, that reason is linked to how he was treated earlier in life?

That's a very logical, very compassionate theory, but clearly compassion and logic flew out the window when people were condoning piss-taking and pretending it was "seeking clarification".

If it's not already obvious OP, I commend you and wish you the very best of luck. Wanting to help anyone in life is a very noble act and I don't think rattling cages on a message board makes that any less noble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

+ 1000.

OP, your attitude actually makes it harder for other people who struggle.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

Tzardine wrote: »
    Spelling and grammar Nazis are a pain in the hole for sure.

But how is anybody to know you have a learning difficulty.

They annoy everybody. You are no different.
    People who constantly point out grammar mistakes are pretty much jerks, scientists find - ScienceAlert

osarusan wrote: »
    How so?

Because an aggressive attitude makes people less sympathetic.

OP has only answered posts here that were supportive and hasn't addressed any of the posts that make suggestions to help.

OP has only answered posts here that were supportive and hasn't addressed any of the posts that make suggestions to help.

I agree, the OP hasn't covered themselves in glory at all. But that's just them, their attitude.

How would any of that make it harder for other people who struggle?

I agree, the OP hasn't covered themselves in glory at all. But that's just them, their attitude.

How would any of that make it harder for other people who struggle?

I've already explained it, don't know how I can be any clearer.

After this thread I would have less sympathy for someone who says they have dyslexia as I don't even know whether to believe OP at this stage. And if one person makes it up or uses it as a martyr card then others suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Over the last couple of pages a lot of post were pure nonsense, and if you look at the time stamps there was a lot of post / F5 / respond going on. Can blame them for not responding why get drawn into that kind of tit-for-tat. Reminds me of the irish water treads in the old political cafe

After this thread I would have less sympathy for someone who says they have dyslexia as I don't even know whether to believe OP at this stage. And if one person makes it up or uses it as a martyr card then others suffer.
    I genuinely don't see why it should have any impact on how much sympathy you have for any dyslexic other than the OP.

Over the last couple of pages a lot of post were pure nonsense, and if you look at the time stamps there was a lot of post / F5 / respond going on. Can blame them for not responding why get drawn into that kind of tit-for-tat. Reminds me of the irish water treads in the old political cafe

I don't know what post/F5/respond means.

I genuinely don't see why it should have any impact on how much sympathy you have for any dyslexic other than the OP.

So you've said.

• Advertisement

I don't know what post/F5/respond means.

Coincidentally he has dyslexia and coincidentally he has constructed a sentence which might not make sense to a lot of people, as the OP did in the Legal Issues thread, which might suggest further that it's a reflection on his impairment and not a intentionally-lazy post.

You's should be ashamed for painting me as some sort of idiot. Shame on you.

I know what he means though. It was a dig at me for responding so quickly, suggesting I'm constantly refreshing the page, but actually I just get notifications, like everyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement