Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's boards.ie issue with people with a learning disability?.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Ask yourself, is it possible that the OP could have been a bit clearer? If the answer is 'yes', coupled with the evidence put forth by the OP in After Hours, is that he is well capable of producing coherent posts.

There is no debate here. The OP threw some words together that didnt make sence....but somehow its everyone elses fault.

I don't know enough about dyslexia to know why sometimes he's more coherent than others. Do you? Obviously not but you're willing to chalk it down as laziness nonetheless, which is simply ignorant, but there's a plethora of ignorance (and lies) in the last three or four pages of this thread so at least you're consistent bud.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Your time has value.

If you ask of anothers time and don't bother to even make your request legible, then sorry, but pisstaking is fair game.

At least you admit they were taking the piss and weren't being helpful. Others are pretending they were merely seeking clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Hammer89 wrote: »
    If they were interested in answering his question to begin with then they would've sought clarity in a more sensitive, less inflammatory way.

Then again, you have to be fair and say the two lads didn't know he'd respond in the way he did, but there's no getting away from the fact that they could've been more tactful in their responses, like others were, and that's how we find ourselves here.

Nobody has an obligation to be sensitive or tactful just incase someone has a problem.

The obligation is on the person to provide clarity to their query in order to mitigate against any future embaressment.

The OP knew his post was all over the shop. A simple addition somewhere of "I am dyslexic" would have resulted in zero pisstaking.

Nobody has an obligation to be sensitive or tactful just incase someone has a problem.

Well if they were genuinely interested in answering the question, as you claimed, then it makes sense to be tactful when the OP has a clear problem with writing fluent English mate. It doesn't make sense to ask if their keyboard had farted, or perform some sort of analysis on whether it was a question or not, if their heart was in the right place which, again, is the motive which people are trying to claim when it blatantly was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm more focused in genuinely trying to understand what someone writes. This is a discussion site and I feel it should be treated as such. When speaking with someone, you generally don't pull someone up on minor inconsistencies with turn of phrase.

It's nothing but a distraction. Couldn't be bothered with it.

Exactly.

• Advertisement

I don't know enough about dyslexia to know why sometimes he's more coherent than others. Do you? Obviously not but you're willing to chalk it down as laziness nonetheless, which is simply ignorant, but there's a plethora of ignorance (and lies) in the last three or four pages of this thread so at least you're consistent bud.

No, I know little about dyslexia and I have not labelled him as lazy even though it is a perfectly acceptable deduction regardless of your claim of my ignorance.

I do know that if the OP wants to shield himself from future incidents like this, he needs to take his time, proof read and then post. Otherwise, add a qualifier that he is dyslexic. Job done....nobody is going to blatantly take the piss out of someone for that.

I think you will find, over my last posts I have not once lied, nor consistently lied for that matter.

Your misinterpretation does not count as my failings...eh bud.

No, I know little about dyslexia and I have not labelled him as lazy even though it is a perfectly acceptable deduction regardless of your claim of my ignorance.

I do know that if the OP wants to shield himself from future incidents like this, he needs to take his time, proof read and then post..

So you've just written that in the same post where you admit that you, like me, don't understand dyslexia.

Is it not possible that an inability to know how a sentence scans is part of his impairment, which would disqualify your suggestions that he didn't take his time or proof read? It might also explain why sometimes he can write okay and other times he can't. I don't know, but it's certainly plausible I guess.

As for the lying thing, I didn't mean you were lying. I meant there's lies and ignorance in the last three or four pages, relating to how people claim the lads in the other threads were seeking clarification, which to me isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

At least you admit they were taking the piss and weren't being helpful. Others are pretending they were merely seeking clarification.

Meh, merging the two is valid in that case.

"Jaysus, chingly much?" is perfectly valid. Pisstake and clarification in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

This adding his dyslexia to his signature bit - what good will that do exactly? The majority of posters now post on their phones where you can't see signatures.

Those on PCs and laptops have the ability to turn off the display of signatures as well so I don't see it making much difference.

Well if they were genuinely interested in answering the question, as you claimed, then it makes sense to be tactful when the OP has a clear problem with writing fluent English mate. It doesn't make sense to ask if their keyboard had farted, or perform some sort of analysis on whether it was a question or not, if their heart was in the right place which, again, is the motive which people are trying to claim when it blatantly was not.

Where have I claimed that they were 'genuinely interested in answering the question?

It will do you no good to assume all the time.

It may have been clear to you that the OP has a problem with written English. Other people may have percieved it differently.

Again, you are being selective with the posts you refer to, use the whole post otherwise context is lost.

Post #2 on that thread "I'd start with rewriting your post, so that it makes sense. Reads like your keyboard farted."

50% helpful, 50% humour with no knowledge of a literacy issue by the OP. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest.

He must have no tact, patience or heart....or whatever you said.

Im sure you have used an off the cuff reply at some stage without being cogniscent of the person you direct your post at.

• Advertisement

It might also explain why sometimes he can write okay and other times he can't. I don't know, but it's certainly plausible I guess.

Sorry guys, i'm a morning time dyslexic :rolleyes:

It should be blatantly obvious to him, regardless of the time of day or circumstance, that sometimes his sentences just don't make any sense.
    Would it not, therefore, behoove him to invest in something that does, Grammarly or anything else for example?
    He has a problem with communication, and he's rejecting all opportunities to rectify same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

At least he doesn't need his AMA now, with so many people answering on his behalf as to why he posts like he does.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Where have I claimed that they were 'genuinely interested in answering the question?.

You wrote this: "How else are people meant to help him with his issue? By deduction? By assessment? By mind reading?"

I interpreted that as you suggesting they were genuinely interested in helping him.

As for my previous point, it turns out that a "difficulty with skimming, scanning and/or proof reading written text" is an indicator of possible Dyslexia.

I think you owe him an apology for suggesting he basically wrote his Legal Issues post blindfolded mate.

http://www.dyslexia.ie/information/information-for-teachers-schools-and-colleges/indicators-of-dyslexia-at-the-different-levels/

CruelCoin wrote: »
    It should be blatantly obvious to him, regardless of the time of day or circumstance, that sometimes his sentences just don't make any sense.

I'll go with Dyslexia.ie on this mate.

So you've just written that in the same post where you admit that you, like me, don't understand dyslexia.

Is it not possible that an inability to know how a sentence scans is part of his impairment, which would disqualify your suggestions that he didn't take his time or proof read? It might also explain why sometimes he can write okay and other times he can't. I don't know, but it's certainly plausible I guess.

As for the lying thing, I didn't mean you were lying. I meant there's lies and ignorance in the last three or four pages, relating to how people claim the lads in the other threads were seeking clarification, which to me isn't true.

You dont have to understand dyslexia to suggest that someone takes their time and only posts when they are happy with the content.

Again, I never said he didnt take his time and proof read, I made the suggestion that maybe he should.

Is dyslexia intermittent? Im not qualified to answer that.

I do believe we are going around in circles. I have utmost sympathy for the OP but this is a 2 way street. The onus is on him to post once he is happy and the onus on us is to allow him latitude to make mistakes.

He needs to calm his tits as we are not all going to be aware of his issue and thats why this escalated and thats why we are here right now.

No other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I've a text to speech app on my phone that I sometimes use to listen to written posts. It's pretty good. Simply copy, paste and listen. I would have thought it'd be useful for a dyslexic if they think they've written gibberish.

I'll go with Dyslexia.ie on this mate.

We have an entire thread (and other threads) full of people telling him they don't understand what he's writing.

If the dozens (hundreds) of posts are not enough indication to him, then there more than simple dyslexia going on...

You wrote this: "How else are people meant to help him with his issue? By deduction? By assessment? By mind reading?"

I interpreted that as you suggesting they were genuinely interested in helping him.

As for my previous point, it turns out that a "difficulty with skimming, scanning and/or proof reading written text" is an indicator of possible Dyslexia.

I think you owe him an apology for suggesting he basically wrote his Legal Issues post blindfolded mate.

Firstly, there were people genuinely looking to assist the OP...we know that. But to be able to do that, the question must first be understood. Seeking clarification is part of the process.

Secondly, I owe him no apology and I did not suggest he wrote it blindfolded. I said his post was in a heap....and it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OP I get where you are coming from I'm dyslexic too. My inter cert papers were corrected by a sepcial examaner and I got one A, mostly B's one C, that made most of my teachers take notice. Except one who still healed it against me and said I couldn't do a coding class because of it. I'm a electronics engineer now.

One thing I find is that when I'm stressed my keyboard skills go out the window. And I assume words when I reread any text or posts. Always reread your posts. I might give grammarly a go too. I regularly use google search for spell checking is word or chrome have failed, it works really well.

It's not other posted fault we both had negative experiences in school, you need to be a little less sensitive to it. If somebody pulls you up for simply say sorry my dyslexia is getting the better of me today. If they keep having a go at you, just block them then you will stop seeing their posts.

Everybody else, you often have very little clue who is posting it could be a child, they might have other issues, or just having a bad day. Your quick throw away comment may hurt them so think twice please

Firstly, there were people genuinely looking to assist the OP...we know that. But to be able to do that, the question must first be understood. Seeking clarification is part of the process.

Secondly, I owe him no apology and I did not suggest he wrote it blindfolded. I said his post was in a heap....and it is.

Yes but it's in a heap because he has dyslexia mate, not because he didn't take his time and proof read which you suggested he didn't. And you did suggest that. You literally wrote: "I do know that if the OP wants to shield himself from future incidents like this, he needs to take his time, proof read and then post."

Given that a difficulty with proof reading and scanning written sentences is an indicator of dyslexia, you absolutely owe him an apology, as does Anna for bringing up syntax because it turns out that dyslexic people also struggle with syntax.

You's both should say sorry, but you won't. And yet he's the one with the bad attitude apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have posted this before but it seems to be getting worse and worse on here as more of the older posters are dropping like flys and where left with posters who just insult your learning disability.
    Generally, or just in AH?

Yes but it's in a heap because he has dyslexia mate, not because he didn't take his time and proof read which you suggested he didn't. And you did suggest that. You literally wrote: "I do know that if the OP wants to shield himself from future incidents like this, he needs to take his time, proof read and then post."

Given that a difficulty with proof reading and scanning written sentences is an indicator of dyslexia, you absolutely owe him an apology, as does Anna for bringing up syntax because it turns out that dyslexic people also struggle with syntax.

You's both should say sorry, but you won't. And yet he's the one with the bad attitude apparently.

Again....again for your benefit.

I DID NOT say he DID NOT take his time and proof read his posts. I suggested maybe he SHOULD take his time and proof read his posts.....like EVERYONE should and I stand by that post. Theres nothing wrong with that so best of luck with that argument.

There is a big difference there that YOU cant seem to comprehend. You are basing your rebuttals on bad understanding of what is being said.

I have nothing to be sorry for nor will I issue an apology to the OP. If you feel I owe him an apology, feel free to report my posts and let the Mods deal with it.

He most certaintly displayed a bad attitude, yes. The evidence is there, its not my opinion...its there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Its not up to you to get another user to apologise to someone else, if you have an issue with their posts then use the report post function and let the mods deal with it.

Again....again for your benefit.

I DID NOT say he DID NOT take his time and proof read his posts. I suggested maybe he SHOULD take his time and proof read his posts..

You said if he wants to "shield himself from future incidents" he SHOULD proofread and take his time before posting. Do you not see how easily this could be interpreted as a suggestion that he didn't proofread or take his time with the post in the Legal Issues, given that's the one we've been discussing for the past five hours?
    jonnycivic wrote: »
    MOD Its not up to you to get another user to apologise to someone else, if you have an issue with their posts then use the report post function and let the mods deal with it.

That won't be necessary. I've never reported anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm going to type this rrreeeeealllly slowly, just for you. And just to make the same point that has been made many times on this thread, that you appear to have missed each time.

Are you ready? Here goes...

The OP can communicate clearly and coherently through the medium of text. He has demonstrated this fact again and again. In the infamous 'other thread', he did not. On one occasion. His first post came across as lazy and unclear. A poster, who might or might not have been me, responded suggesting he might rephrase his question. He then got a bee in his bonnet and opened this thread, and communicated clearly and coherently through the medium of text. Every single time.

He doesn't have a bad attitude. He's funny. You are also funny.

:D

endacl wrote: »
    I'm going to type this rrreeeeealllly slowly, just for you. And just to make the same point that has been made many times on this thread, that you appear to have missed each time.

Are you ready? Here goes...

:D

See, this type of condescending tone is literally why we're here in the first place, because you tried to be funny by suggesting his keyboard farted and caused offence. Did you have previous knowledge of his posting history before you wrote that? I'm not joking - it genuinely upsets me that you don't see that this is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Some people take the internet way too seriously. If it upsets you that much maybe forums aren't for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Some people take the internet way too seriously. If it upsets you that much maybe forums aren't for you.

Well it genuinely upset him enough to resort to a condescending tone and a passive aggressive emoji - the most passive aggressive one of them all in fact.

• Advertisement

You said if he wants to "shield himself from future incidents" he SHOULD proofread and take his time before posting. Do you not see how easily this could be interpreted as a suggestion that he didn't proofread or take his time with the post in the Legal Issues, given that's the one we've been discussing for the past five hours?

I know what I said and theres nothing wrong with it. Its perfectly logical for the OP to put in place some mitigating factors if he has an issue with people pulling him up on his posting style. Same as we all should.....eh simple.

People interpret things differently all the time...just like you have been. Its not my responsibility, thats up to each individuals comprehension skills. Nothing to do with me.

Your counter arguments are getting more pointless, you are misinterpreting posts and using them as a base for your next post, you have labelled me as a consistent liar then backtraced then demanded I apologise multiple times.

My interaction with you stops here. This is not a "win" for you either, I just cant be repeating myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement