Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's boards.ie issue with people with a learning disability?.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Coincidentally he has dyslexia and coincidentally he has constructed a sentence which might not make sense to a lot of people, as the OP did in the Legal Issues thread, which might suggest further that it's a reflection on his impairment and not a intentionally-lazy post.

You's should be ashamed for painting me as some sort of idiot. Shame on you.

I know what he means though. It was a dig at me for responding so quickly, suggesting I'm constantly refreshing the page, but actually I just get notifications, like everyone else.

WTF???????

Who's painting you as an idiot??

Do not post that crap at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Coincidentally he has dyslexia and coincidentally he has constructed a sentence which might not make sense to a lot of people, as the OP did in the Legal Issues thread, which might suggest further that it's a reflection on his impairment and not a intentionally-lazy post.

You's should be ashamed for painting me as some sort of idiot. Shame on you.

I know what he means though. It was a dig at me for responding so quickly, suggesting I'm constantly refreshing the page, but actually I just get notifications, like everyone else.

You're being paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

pilly wrote: »
    WTF???????

Who's painting you as an idiot??

Do not post that crap at me.

I apologise. Your name looked familiar and I wrongly believed you were part of the earlier discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

anna080 wrote: »
    You're being paranoid

Okay maybe I felt like I was being treated as an idiot, but I personally think the fact that two different dyslexic people both wrote a nonsensical bit of prose without realising is evidence that the OP wasn't being lazy in his post in the Legal Issues thread, which was the suggestion.

OP and I are going to Coppers to celebrate by getting our holes. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I don't know what post/F5/respond means.

F5 is the short cut key for refresh the page. you can also press ctrl alt and left arrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I think his defensiveness is most probably shaped by people like Enda taking the piss out of him in real life, making him far more liable to fly off the handle. Has it not occured to anyone that he's this hot-headed for a reason and maybe, just maybe, that reason is linked to how he was treated earlier in life?

That's a very logical, very compassionate theory, but clearly compassion and logic flew out the window when people were condoning piss-taking and pretending it was "seeking clarification".

If it's not already obvious OP, I commend you and wish you the very best of luck. Wanting to help anyone in life is a very noble act and I don't think rattling cages on a message board makes that any less noble.
    I did say in a post that while I understand the op's previous treatment in life has probably left him with issues, it's not fair to take those issues out on boardsies. He has done well professionally in spite of his learning difficulty but he could do with working on his attitude. Look at the title of the thread. If there really was a site wide issue with dyslexics being mocked, don't you think there would be more people with dyslexia posting in here to share their stories of unfair treatment?

I haven't seen the thread in the legal forum but I have seen the op lose it on other occasions. I remember someone posting something like "either you're drunk or I'm drunk but I can't make sense of that" (paraphrasing). The op lost it and went on a rant about how he has dyslexia. It was a complete over reaction to a light hearted comment. I've asked people before were they drunk and they said yes and we had a laugh.

The point I'm making is that people did not know about the op's dyslexia, so he got treated like any other poster. There was no discrimination. He was asked to clarify with some humour thrown in. He doesn't share the same sense of humour. Fair enough. It doesn't mean he's being persecuted though. If someone asked me if my keyboard farted out a post, I'd p!ss myself laughing but that's just me. The op could simply have said "I have dyslexia so maybe the post wasn't as clear as I thought. Let me rephrase". If people then went on to slag him off/make fun of him, they are dicks and would deserve a ban.

On a forum everyone is equal. We don't know other people's ages/race/gender/life situation etc so it's a level playing field. You get to know people over time and it's only then can we choose to make allowances for any online disability. Posters did not know the op is dyslexic. Now they do. It really could have been handled much better on the part of the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My disability is how incredibly good looking I am. We all have our crosses to bear.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    My disability is how incredibly good looking I am. We all have our crosses to bear.
    I was going to fix your post to "we all have our crosses to bare" :P and then I thought I better google it just to be sure... Turns out you are right! That'll teach me to be a smart arse :pac: I honestly thought bear was just an animal.

http://www.trackerpress.com/reference/bear-or-bare.php

Which is correct: "bare" or "bear" ?

These two words sound exactly the same, but they have very different meanings! Getting them confused can have very embarrassing consequences ...

bare
    "bare" means uncovered or naked.

bear
    A large, dangerous, furry mammal.
    To carry.
    To have a tolerance for or endure.
    To carry in the mind (e.g., bear a grudge).
    To be accountable for (e.g., bear responsibility).
    To have a tolerance for (e.g., couldn't bear the responsibility).

Correct: "Please bear with us while we remodel our store."

Incorrect: "Please bare with us while we remodel our store." (Unless you want to invite your customers to strip off their clothes and watch you working!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Zoolander thinks he's you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Paddy Cow wrote: »

He was asked to clarify with some humour thrown in. He doesn't share the same sense of humour. Fair enough.

As someone who has worked in a hospital (admin) I feel 100% confident in diagnosing the real disability as "Humour bypass Syndrome".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I've already explained it, don't know how I can be any clearer.

After this thread I would have less sympathy for someone who says they have dyslexia as I don't even know whether to believe OP at this stage. And if one person makes it up or uses it as a martyr card then others suffer.
    But wouldn't the others suffer because of people, as you say above, having less sympathy for someone who says they have dyslexia due to one other person like the OP? That's a conscious decision by someone else, not the OP's fault in fairness.

People are going to keep disagreeing here and that's fair enough - you can't change an entrenched opinion.

Others see a guy being too defensive, or even aggressive, who doesn't appear entirely honest. I however genuinely see a guy who's just upset because it's something that has been a huge difficulty for him for years and years, so he's lashing out. It's not ideal of him, but feck it, could be worse - most of us have our sore spots. And this seems like a build-up, not just the online comments by themselves.

I also see some really sneery comments here (not the ones just politely saying to the OP that he wasn't doing a good job of handling things) and people leaping to thank them, which proves his point in my opinion. And someone spoke about his "raising awareness crap" - yeah, raising awareness... villainous, positively villainous! He spoke about how the ridiculing can hurt, and this made me a bit sad. And I usually have no patience for people who whine and act the victim and make everything the responsibility of others but not themselves. And I am also a card-carrying grammar nazi.

The OP has long calmed down anyway - long long calmed down. And hasn't even said much, which again makes me wince a bit. It's like some of ye finally got to shut him up. Hopefully he and others might be able to open up more positive, constructive dialogue from here onwards.

I like this paragraph from the poster spaceHopper earlier: "Everybody else, you often have very little clue who is posting it could be a child, they might have other issues, or just having a bad day. Your quick throw away comment may hurt them so think twice please". Some on After Hours make it their mission to let everyone know they don't care about your "feels" as this has become quite fashionable now, and yeah, I think piss-taking is probably the ideal way to handle most things, but we're adults, and we can strike a balance and be empathetic too when it's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Spider Web wrote: »
    Others see a guy being too defensive, or even aggressive, who doesn't appear entirely honest. I however genuinely see a guy who's just upset because it's something that has been a huge difficulty for him for years and years, so he's lashing out. It's not ideal of him, but feck it, could be worse - most of us have our sore spots. And this seems like a build-up, not just the online comments by themselves.
    I think his defensiveness is most probably shaped by people like Enda taking the piss out of him in real life, making him far more liable to fly off the handle. Has it not occured to anyone that he's this hot-headed for a reason and maybe, just maybe, that reason is linked to how he was treated earlier in life?
    You guys have been the op's biggest supporters on this thread but by your own admission, he's upset, he's lashing out, he's far more liable to fly off the handle, he's hot-headed.

These are the things that posters are picking up on in his posts and reacting to. It's what has been said numerous times on this thread. All of the bolded equate to him having a bad attitude. Make all the excuses you want but this is what posters have problems with.

Not his dyslexia.

These are things that have hurt the op in his past. The posters on boards are not responsible for the injustices he has experienced in the past and nor should they bear the brunt of these. It is not a regular complaint on boards from dyslexic people that they are mocked. With roughly 10% of the population struggling with dyslexia you would think it would be a site wide issue. But it isn't. It is one poster who is upset, lashes out etc when he feels wronged. Wronged by people who didn't know he is dyslexic.

There was a great thread on boards "Lets all laugh at people with Depression". When I saw that title I clicked on it with full keyboard warrior mode activated willing to defend people with depression. Turns out I was wrong. The op was a brilliant post and got hundreds of thanks and the thread turned into a positive one of people sharing their experiences. If the op had started a thread "Lets all laugh at people with Dyslexia", I would've felt the same. The op didn't do that though. He started a thread accusing us of having an issue with learning disabilities. That's insulting.

I will say it until I'm blue in the face (which I nearly am now :p) posters didn't know the op is dyslexic. He was treated the same as everyone else. He over reacted. And here we are. Going round and round in circles. I've said it before but a forum is a level playing field. No one cares about your background. You are what you post and it's taken at face value. If we were only to post thinking "maybe I should consider this person's age, disability, life situation, sense of humour, religion etc" this place would become a dry, personality free place and it would be cold and awful. Yes at times people are dicks but the mods are quick to shoot them down.

I really hope the op reads this and takes on board what I am saying. If people don't know you have dyslexia, you will be treated like any other poster. If your post doesn't make sense, you will be asked why, sometimes with humour/sarcasm. This isn't a personal attack on you. Sometimes people post while drunk/on their phones/don't make the effort/are dyslexic/other reasons. No one on boards is physic. Unless you tell people which option you are, they can't adapt their responses. If you tell them you are dyslexic and they mock you, they are dicks. If you launch into a tirade about how you are dyslexic and blah blah then your are a .........

I don't know the OP or his history here. Sad to say but I see bullying pure and simple. Some of the most cutting replies to the OP have the most thanks.

To be honest Paddy Cow, I'm only including his defensiveness because people keep mentioning it and I want to be balanced. Personally I'm not bothered by his defensiveness at all, and can understand that it's the result of years and years of struggling.

I know most people are not having a go at his writing style (some are) and more at his attitude, but as spaceHopper said, some have still been really spiteful and should know better.

And people proclaiming they don't believe he has a writing difficulty - better watch my language.

The shouty or sneery approach is just going to make a person shout or sneer back - calmly and politely giving them constructive criticism is the way to get through.

And people proclaiming they don't believe he has a writing difficulty - better watch my language.
    To the naysayers on the thread. I fully believe the op has dyslexia. I can understand why he spelled it wrong. It's a really hard word to spell! FFS I had to google it myself! You'd think they would create a word that was so much easier. It's like the joke "why is abbreviation such a long word?".

Why was his post in the legal forum a bit of a mess and his posts here were coherent?
    I'm not an expert on dyslexia but I'd imagine it's because in the legal forum he was relaxed and what he wrote made sense to him so he posted it. On here is he actively trying to make points so it going over his posts with a fine tooth comb.

Why did he spell dyslexia wrong?
    I am in no way shape for form stupid and I'm very good with numbers but there are certain words I struggle with. I have to google them every damn time. Sometimes I know it's spelled wrong but I just can't be arsed looking for the right spelling. There are plenty of people who can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're" or "there", "their" and "they're". We all have that one thing. So what if the op can't spell the word right. We know what he means.

Ignore the people who don't believe the op. They are not indicative of the majority. They pop up on every busy thread. I've been on threads where it's obvious the op is telling the truth but there are always one or two who "Don't want to believe".

I can understand why he spelled it wrong. It's a really hard word to spell! FFS I had to google it myself! You'd think they would create a word that was so much easier. It's like the joke "why is abbreviation such a long word?"
    :D

I don't know the OP or his history here. Sad to say but I see bullying pure and simple. Some of the most cutting replies to the OP have the most thanks.
    There has been no bullying here. The op started a thread asking what is boards issue with people with a learning disability. Nobody has an issue with that. I don't know anyone on boards who would get a load of thanks for mocking someone for having dyslexia.

You have come into a thread and seen an overwhelming response in one way. Instead of doing any research, you're claiming bullying. Maybe if you were more aware of the op's history with boards you could make a more informed post.

Claiming bullying with no knowledge of the facts is akin to starting a witch hunt. Unless you have experience of boards having an issue with people with a learning disability, you are merely inflaming the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Guys the reason I didn't post a reply to everyone as there clearly was no point some people where looking for a go at it and someone where defending me and I like to the k then posters.

Yes I am very hot headed about my deslexa as it's something that if people pass a remark on you will get angry and people keep passing endless remarks you will get more angry it's basic law of the land here it could have been any topic but if you keep digging and passing remarks about it you are going to make any poster mad.

Like I do hope we can push for a AMA about deslexa as I really won t to give people a in site to what it's like to have it.

With regards of posters saying i don't have it. I have 3 different reports from trained people saying I have it I won't be posting them online as there my information in them but I should not have to prove I have it.

Many thanks everyone for this great thread and I hope I can pick it up in a AMA about deslexa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

I wouldn't read your AMA about it because of your attitude. If someone else did one about it I might read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You would think that whoever coined the term "dyslexia" would've made it easier to spell. Probably the same evil f*cker who put the letter S in the word lisp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Lead wrote: »
    I wouldn't read your AMA about it because of your attitude. If someone else did one about it I might read it.

That's no problem what so ever if you don't won't to read that's perfect and if you won't to read I will be there for you to ask questions. But to me this post is attick the poster not the post it proves another issue about people jumping down on posters not on the posts
    Omackeral wrote: »
    You would think that whoever coined the term "dyslexia" would've made it easier to spell. Probably the same evil f*cker who put the letter S in the word lisp.

Nail on the head you think they would have came up with some easy word to spell for us !!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

As someone who has worked in a hospital (admin) I feel 100% confident in diagnosing the real disability as "Humour bypass Syndrome".
    *crickets*

I hope you didn't give up that job to become a comedian?

There has been no bullying here. The op started a thread asking what is boards issue with people with a learning disability. Nobody has an issue with that. I don't know anyone on boards who would get a load of thanks for mocking someone for having dyslexia.

You have come into a thread and seen an overwhelming response in one way. Instead of doing any research, you're claiming bullying. Maybe if you were more aware of the op's history with boards you could make a more informed post.

Claiming bullying with no knowledge of the facts is akin to starting a witch hunt. Unless you have experience of boards having an issue with people with a learning disability, you are merely inflaming the situation.

Take a look at the second reply to this thread it's 50 thanks for mocking his grammar. Why inflainflame him and why thank the poster. What good could come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I hope none of those who keep picking at the OP are teachers or parents of dyslexic children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

This thread started with a loaded question as the subject. Despite posters trying to offer helpful advice, the OP has refused said advice and used it as a soapbox and appeared to be a thinly veiled attempt at campaigning for their own AMA.

OP, don't start any threads about your dyslexia in After Hours again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement