Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Cabaal wrote: »
    Problem is Ireland isn't Amsterdam and many motorists don't know the meaning of crawl by. They also are unable to factor in other people into their daily lives

Was up at the apple market at weekend and can def see a few accidents happening,

Yeah because driving cars and vans and trucks in and around pedestrians is becoming all the rage around Europe :eek:
    Are we inviting trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Max Powers wrote: »
    What's this..quiet fella bad mouthing Waterford again with some poorly thought out comment ...what a surprise.

Critical analysis is what I call in Max!

I live in Central London, which is basically better than Dublin in every way possible (I still like Dublin) and isn't full of indigenous Irish crack heads but I have to say, the amount of ****e that comes out of you on this board is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

17206475778_71ff32ff00_b.jpg

DCw4TfRXgAABnW0.jpg

19397092_10155425738262162_3209211226293461457_n.jpg?oh=d76e8c8f3d24529c0cd821e4875792e4&oe=5A168DFC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When did that clock go?

Good question. I like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

And the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for the pics ... nice! :D

I would love to see some from the 60s ...... the Apple Market was vibrant during late 50s & 60s ...... or so memory seems to say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Deiseen wrote: »
    I live in Central London, which is basically better than Dublin in every way possible (I still like Dublin) and isn't full of indigenous Irish crack heads but I have to say, the amount of ****e that comes out of you on this board is unreal.

Not full! We're waiting upon Max to complete the compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The clock's appeared.

nqEaI8V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,103 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I drove through the Apple Market for the first time at the weekend and while I didn't really look at the canopy - I was too busy watching pedestrians - I have to agree that allowing cars though the area is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

looksee wrote: »
    I drove through the Apple Market for the first time at the weekend and while I didn't really look at the canopy - I was too busy watching pedestrians - I have to agree that allowing cars though the area is madness.

Yes, and my experience of it at the weekend was that drivers don't treat it as a "shared space". They just treat it as a regular road and drive as if they had right of way. Time to close it off as a through route. Allow access from either end by all means, but put a barrier in the middle so that it can't be used as a rat run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

looksee wrote: »

What is madness is that they never took traffic flow or an alternative traffic flow into consideration when they were planning and designing it. It was typical public-sector blinkered thinking. Don’t get me wrong I think what was been done in the Apple Market is great. I just wish that they planned an alternative traffic flow first and closed the Apple Market to traffic. In fact they gave planning permission for the back of the old Bank of Ireland to be used as a paid car park giving more reason for cars to be driving up there! For god sake what kind of logic is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

BBM77 wrote: »
    What is madness is that they never took traffic flow or an alternative traffic flow into consideration when they were planning and designing it. It was typical public-sector blinkered thinking. Don’t get me wrong I think what was been done in the Apple Market is great. I just wish that they planned an alternative traffic flow first and closed the Apple Market to traffic. In fact they gave planning permission for the back of the old Bank of Ireland to be used as a paid car park giving more reason for cars to be driving up there! For god sake what kind of logic is that?

As someone who works in town, It's pretty much void of any significant pedestrian traffic 90% of the time so why shut down the road?? Aesthetics aside, the only time it should be closed is from 9pm Friday and Saturday night. Possibly student nights as well.

Having it as a thru road to new st is more of an issue than the boi car park

I'd like to think my posting of the pix above prompted the council to drag the clock out of storage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Gavlor wrote: »
    As someone who works in town, It's pretty much void of any significant pedestrian traffic 90% of the time so why shut down the road?? Aesthetics aside, the only time it should be closed is from 9pm Friday and Saturday night. Possibly student nights as well.

Not a bad suggestion gavlor, I'd include Saturday day maybe too
    As far the clock Harry, hopefully it'll be working at some stage too, it is a nice thing to havethere

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Unfortunately the Applemarket is the main access to Spring Garden Alley. The council are currently talking to the residents about opening up the exit onto Colbeck Street permanently and pedestrianising the Applemarket but alas not all the businesses there want that.

For those of you who think it was obvious to pedestrianise the street, try dealing with over 100 residents and 30 or so businesses who all have different opinions. Then tell us all how easy getting agreement fast is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

From what I was told the traffic won't be able to come up there from October.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

invalid wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Applemarket is the main access to Spring Garden Alley. The council are currently talking to the residents about opening up the exit onto Colbeck Street permanently and pedestrianising the Applemarket but alas not all the businesses there want that.

For those of you who think it was obvious to pedestrianise the street, try dealing with over 100 residents and 30 or so businesses who all have different opinions. Then tell us all how easy getting agreement fast is done?

Typical Waterford CC planning. No genuine thought whatsoever put in to this development!
    Build it first and we'll see what happens and then we'll just try to figure it out as we go along! I wouldn't give them a Rubix Cube to solve!

Can you imagine them trying to get their heads around the planning of the new developments on the North Quays! Hell will freeze over first!
    What a glorious waste of taxpayers money!!!

From what I was told the traffic won't be able to come up there from October.

Doubt it String,, as invalid said, businesses and houses in spring garden means access will always be needed at times.so I can't imagine anyone really thinking fully pedestriaise at any stage in near to medium future.

Gavlor wrote: »

Don’t disagree with you, the logical thing to do then is have designed it so it is clear that there is a road. Just think it is ridiculous to build something like this when two carparks are accessed via the street and houses without considering the flow of traffic. You may or may not know this but the council admitted that they just did not plan for the flow of traffic. What way is that to make changes to an urban area?

Taking a risk of opening a can of worms but they did the exact same thing with the Quays and Newtown. They did not fully think of the bigger traffic issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Why can't they use new street both ways , so access to car park and access to spring garden alley , you are only crossing the top section of the applemarket , and close off the bottom section of applemarket /john street .
    Spring garden alley residents will be able to drive both ways up and down new street and also car park can be accessed.
    Is that to simple of a solution for the council

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I love the way posters on this thread are saying absolutely no thought whatsoever went into any of this.

longshanks wrote: »
    I love the way posters on this thread are saying absolutely no thought whatsoever went into any of this.

True.I think its worth remembering a number of things, first off, we all know very little about traffic etc, certainly less than designers, also things like, New street car park will hopefully make way for Michael street shopping centre, another thing is to remember how it was, lots of traffic unrestricted, etc.a poster with gripes and some with a bit of hysteria too.

Don’t disagree with you, the logical thing to do then is have designed it so it is clear that there is a road. Just think it is ridiculous to build something like this when two carparks are accessed via the street and houses without considering the flow of traffic. You may or may not know this but the council admitted that they just did not plan for the flow of traffic. What way is that to make changes to an urban area?

Taking a risk of opening a can of worms but they did the exact same thing with the Quays and Newtown. They did not fully think of the bigger traffic issues.

Just on your road suggestion there,I did a bit of reading on clearly designating roads in areas like Apple market, results in more speeding and less courtesy for others.drivers then tend to think, my road, my rules. when they are forced to think I'm sharing this space they naturally slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

invalid wrote: »

Someone talking sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Typical Waterford CC planning. No genuine thought whatsoever put in to this development!
    Build it first and we'll see what happens and then we'll just try to figure it out as we go along! I wouldn't give them a Rubix Cube to solve!

Can you imagine them trying to get their heads around the planning of the new developments on the North Quays! Hell will freeze over first!
    What a glorious waste of taxpayers money!!!

Local authority engineers/planners are usually those rejected by the private sector or are not wanting to have to work hard in a challenging job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Minister wrote: »
    Local authority engineers/planners are usually those rejected by the private sector or are not wanting to have to work hard in a challenging job.[/quote

And all private sector planners/engineers are the opposite....!

Minister wrote: »
    Local authority engineers/planners are usually those rejected by the private sector or are not wanting to have to work hard in a challenging job.

Yeah, can't imagine there's much demand for secure employment and pensions, no good engineers/designers/architects would be interested in stuff like that.
    Such proclamations as above from minister are to be fair , nonesence.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Yeah, can't imagine there's much demand for secure employment and pensions, no good engineers/designers/architects would be interested in stuff like that.
    Such proclamations as above from minister are to be fair , nonesence.

Pretty broad sweeping statement alright. I have worked in the private sector my whole working life but something happen to me lately that makes a move to the public sector very tempting and attractive.

• Advertisement

Pretty broad sweeping statement alright. I have worked in the private sector my whole working life but something happen to me lately that makes a move to the public sector very tempting and attractive.

Sorry bbm,I was being sarcastic in first part...think we are in agreement.

Advertisement