Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Absolutely crazy having cars drive up through the apple market , it's an accident waiting to happen. Because the footpath and road are level people just walk out on the road. It would have been better to make Newgate street/new street both way allow access to car park and just allow cars to drive across applemarket to access spring garden alley .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Deiseen

moans3536 wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy having cars drive up through the apple market , it's an accident waiting to happen. Because the footpath and road are level people just walk out on the road. It would have been better to make Newgate street/new street both way allow access to car park and just allow cars to drive across applemarket to access spring garden alley .

It doesn't make sense at all.

What makes it a bit more interesting is the fact that the council have just opened their own carpark a few minutes down the road but have allowed a private car park to open up with access that goes straight through an area that they have spent millions developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Deiseen wrote: »

What makes it a bit more interesting is the fact that the council have just opened their own carpark a few minutes down the road but have allowed a private car park to open up with access that goes straight through an area that they have spent millions developing.

is there actually any sound reason for allowing that carpark to open there, as mentioned above, it does sound ridiculous that they have allowed this to happen, unless they have a good reason for doing so. Im not there at the moment so cant say if it will be a positive or negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Deiseen wrote: »

Also I think it's a bus route, I nearly walked out in front of one and I was being aware of cars driving up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I nearly walked out in front of one...

Pedestrians, motorists, cyclists, dogs should inform themselves that Applemarket is a SHARED SPACE:
    yzZ5lWh.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

^^^^^^
    This is a thing in places like Amsterdam. They have whole sections that can be used by cars, bicycles and pedestrians alike. They put street furniture about and nobody bats an eyelid as cars crawl by. The emphasis is on 'crawl by'. I believe the idea is to think of others rather than just yourself (for a change?) and also that space is limited so suck it up.

This video shows it at work. There are no cars in this one, just pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds and motorbikes. It will be a while before it catches on here!

https://vimeo.com/156530125

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

beazee wrote: »
    Pedestrians, motorists, cyclists, dogs should inform themselves that Applemarket is a SHARED SPACE:
    yzZ5lWh.jpg?1

Theres another sign up now,no traffic allowed to drive up there between 10pm and 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Are they showing the hurling semi final this Sunday on the big screen? Not seen any promotion for it in the newspapers

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

iseegirls wrote: »
    Are they showing the hurling semi final this Sunday on the big screen? Not seen any promotion for it in the newspapers

Saw on Facebook they will have 3 screens for the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

shockwave wrote: »
    Theres another sign up now,no traffic allowed to drive up there between 10pm and 4am

While this is a good thing in theory, they've really pulled the rug from under that new carpark and any of the takeaways that deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

gobo99 wrote: »
    While this is a good thing in theory, they've really pulled the rug from under that new carpark and any of the takeaways that deliver.

There seems to be rising bollards part way up the road which looks like it will allow the road to be blocked from that point while still allowing access to the takeaways at the lower end. Spring Garden residents are supposed to be allowed up in the prohibited hours too, so maybe they will be given access to lower the bollards too, like you see on bus routes with similar bollards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

iseegirls wrote: »

20638067_2008332779455862_3224827276895660922_n.png?oh=260644087605f28d01b061485d781fb9&oe=59EBB3DC
    WATERFORD V CORK - SUNDAY, 13 AUG (3.30PM)
    After their well deserved quarter final victory against Wexford, Derek and the lads take on Cork in the All Ireland Senior Hurling Semi Final.

What's better than 1 BIG screen? how about 3! No matter where you are, The Apple Market will have you covered, watching our hurling heroes. Throw in at 3:30pm.

3 Screens: 45 sq metres under the canopy, 21 sq metres facing The Hub and 10 sq metres outside Revolution

Deise Abu !

The Apple Market - Where Waterford Comes Alive

This is a Family Friendly Day - Face Painters, Balloon Modelers, No Alcohol allowed outside the Designated Bar Smoking Areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wonder how long being sat under a canopy in the rain will be an exciting novelty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

yzZ5lWh.jpg?1

No different to O'Connell Street! We even have trains!

We even have trains!
    ...and pigeons!

No pigeons allowed in the Apple Market :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Saw clip on Irish examiner of fans in Apple market, looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,766 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Max Powers wrote: »
    Saw clip on Irish examiner of fans in Apple market, looked great.

yeah it looked great but have heard of a few problems with people in smoking areas of pubs not been able too see the screen

They will be some crowd there for the final

Music on there Saturday as part of daytripper.3pm.Prob finishes at 6/7 as actual day tripper starts around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Does anyone else find the paving very dirty. Was down there the other day and thought the area looks good but paving seems very dirty they should also get on with filling in the tarred areas it leaves the area very unfinished looking. Its been officially "open" a long time now.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    it leaves the area very unfinished looking

Could be because it is not finished yet?

As per Flash himself:
    there is stainless steel panels to go around the raised area (outside Revolution) - "giant" Apple shaped lights for the center of the street - remove the old lamp posts - plant 6 Large trees - a "spire" type installation for the end of the street - more lights under the roof, finish all the paving (esb are not yet finished with cabling), re surface "tarmac" area in a red type stone. Completion date looking like feb 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Thats good to hear. Was thinking some trees would really add to the area with some natural greenery.

Sounds like there is still quite a bit to do, It should look great when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I was talking to one of the suppliers to the builders involved in the canopy during the Spraoi. He reckons it was only half finished at most, still a lot more improvements to come.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Deise Vu wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    This is a thing in places like Amsterdam. They have whole sections that can be used by cars, bicycles and pedestrians alike. They put street furniture about and nobody bats an eyelid as cars crawl by. The emphasis is on 'crawl by'. I believe the idea is to think of others rather than just yourself (for a change?) and also that space is limited so suck it up.

This video shows it at work. There are no cars in this one, just pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds and motorbikes. It will be a while before it catches on here!

https://vimeo.com/156530125

Problem is Ireland isn't Amsterdam and many motorists don't know the meaning of crawl by. They also are unable to factor in other people into their daily lives

Was up at the apple market at weekend and can def see a few accidents happening,

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Could be because it is not finished yet?

As per Flash himself:
    Thats good to hear. I knew it was unfinished but didn't realize how much more they were doing. Should look great.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Problem is Ireland isn't Amsterdam and many motorists don't know the meaning of crawl by. They also are unable to factor in other people into their daily lives

Was up at the apple market at weekend and can def see a few accidents happening,

True,I think good chance people behaviour may change over time, if there is a lot of people there, most drive slow, during quieter times is more problematic. would like to see those bollards in ground automatically go up , forcing cars to stop until down.
    Great to hear about those other few things coming soon to spruce it up more/finish it.would like to see clock back working too and in connection with above is a speed limit sign needed.20km or whatever.not necessary if drivers slow to crawl.of course, all us drinkers must be responsible drinkers/pedestrians too..smiley face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Cabaal wrote: »

I think my last line "It will be a while before it catches on here!" tells you I am not exactly an advocate for modern planning visions of comely maidens and fit young men, pedalling and roller-skating around city centres sipping lattés.

TBH at this stage I have no strong opinion on it either way. It is great to see better living spaces in the City Centre and there is certainly an argument for making the pedestrian or cyclist king. My fear is that City Centre's will just end up as ghost towns because our weather and transport systems just don't lend themselves to public transport use. Nobody wants to carry shopping around in the rain or wait at bus stops for infrequent services that drop you a mile from your house.

What particularly worries me though is the amount of cars in the City Centre with free City Council employee stickers on them. Four legs good, two legs bad? Also, I love the general improvements but, sweet Jesus Christ in Heaven, the pace of work couldn't even be described as being as fast as 'glacial'. There is about 40 metres of Colbeck Street being paved with tarmac on the rest. They have been at it since before Christmas. It is probably touch and go if it is completed by Winterval.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the paving very dirty. Was down there the other day and thought the area looks good but paving seems very dirty they should also get on with filling in the tarred areas it leaves the area very unfinished looking. Its been officially "open" a long time now.

But that's typical of Waterford! They half do everything creatively!

What's this..quiet fella bad mouthing Waterford again with some poorly thought out comment ...what a surprise.

Max Powers wrote: »
    What's this..quiet fella bad mouthing Waterford again with some poorly thought out comment ...what a surprise.

Critical analysis is what I call in Max!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Critical analysis is what I call in Max!

Hahahahahahahaha

Great analysis there!

:D:D

Advertisement