Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 215: Johnson vs Borg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nice win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Hope Valentina wins this one.

Nunes will come out guns blazing but she fades in the later rounds.I hope Shevchenko can capitalise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Close enough fight.

Should be a good 5th given Nunes can't be sure she has this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Awful fight glorified kickboxing spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Poor main event but overall a very fun card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Borg via Submission
    I thought Shevchenko won that barely but could easily see how judges could give it either way. Neither did enough to signify a win. Couldn't believe they just threw the same shots for 25 minutes. That is not championship level.

Magny ya bollox! RDA made a mockery of ya! Fair play to Dos Anjos, slick finish.

Some heart and chin on ol giblert, surprised Stephens couldn't finish him. Jeremy threw some great combos, really mixed it up (Valentino & Amanda, take notes).

Borg via Submission
    Amanda said she doesn't get support because she doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes. No Amanda, you don't get support because of **** like this.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/906761494431383553

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Glad I didnt stay up in the end. I did enjoy shevchenko to an extent, a couple of very nice moments and she did more damage off her back at the end which I think should almost negate the takedown. Nunes proving she can go 5 rounds while landing almost nothing isn't particularly impressive. The front kicks and one decent punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just watched the fights back this morning. Ok card over all but glad I didn't stay up to watch it to be honest.
    The final was another stinker where two very evenly matched fighters just cancelled each other out because they were both afraid to commit.

Gilbert is a strange one, he looks good at this weight but Stephens was probably the worst match for him to start off at 145, he's absolute huge for the weight and throws lots of leg kicks meaning Gil's not going to be able to dominate him in the wrestling aspect and his wide base boxing stance will just get his leg chewed. That said, at times he threw tidy combinations and looked really good physically. be interesting to see who he fights next.

RDA just mollywhopped Magny, I don't know if it's the IV ban that made his weight cutting at 155 so bad or if he has the POST USADA flu, but he looks fantastic at 170 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Only watched till the RDA fight, and seems it was a good decision from the reaction. I've said it before and I still think WMMA should have their own cards.

Pedro will have learned an awful lot from that fight, Latifi looked good.

Melendez is one tough man, don't know how he stayed getting up. Possibly should have been stopped after round 2, he didn't seem to want to go out for round 3. Ref kept jumping in when he was knocked down for some reason, very poor. Stephens was impressive, had a game plan and stuck to it. Still I can't see him ever contending at the top of the division.

Cejuodo was very impressive, big improvement in his stand up and on that showing, a rematch with MM would be interesting.

RDA is back to his best it seems, looks to be in the title picture now. 170 suits him he looks very strong and full of energy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I watched bits of the main event and it seemed that Valentina was mostly waiting for Nunes to come to her, at times it looked like she was happy to just stand there.

So I'm a bit confused as to why Nunes was getting a bit of stick.

Django99 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I still think WMMA should have their own cards.

Wouldnt disagree with that, I've literally never logged onto fightpass and decided to rewatch a womens match they do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Val won that fight but 'you have to beat the champ'.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

48-47 Nunes was the correct decision IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Borg via KO/TKO
    Django99 wrote: »
    Only watched till the RDA fight, and seems it was a good decision from the reaction. I've said it before and I still think WMMA should have their own cards.

Pedro will have learned an awful lot from that fight, Latifi looked good.

Melendez is one tough man, don't know how he stayed getting up. Possibly should have been stopped after round 2, he didn't seem to want to go out for round 3. Ref kept jumping in when he was knocked down for some reason, very poor. Stephens was impressive, had a game plan and stuck to it. Still I can't see him ever contending at the top of the division.

Cejuodo was very impressive, big improvement in his stand up and on that showing, a rematch with MM would be interesting.

RDA is back to his best it seems, looks to be in the title picture now. 170 suits him he looks very strong and full of energy.

Completely agree with you there or have them on the prelims, womens title fights as main fights for the prelim even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

WMMA is popular with "casuals" (hate that term).. Doubt they'll ever have separate cards.

Borg via Submission
    I like wimmins fights :(

My interest in womens fighting ended with Miesha retired :(

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

WMMA is popular with "casuals" (hate that term).. Doubt they'll ever have separate cards.

I think if they had seperate WMMA cards we would see that it is in fact not popular, and that it was Ronda Rousey who was popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My interest in womens fighting ended with Miesha retired :(

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »

Her rack is unreal but look at that ass :D Woman is perfection

Borg via Submission
    DJ said he doesn't know if he's getting any money for 215. Whatever you think about him, that's ****ed up if UFC don't throw him a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    DJ said he doesn't know if he's getting any money for 215. Whatever you think about him, that's ****ed up if UFC don't throw him a few quid.

He didnt weigh in so i can sort of understand to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Didn't Seery get paid when McCall ( I think) pulled out of his fight? Not sure if he had weighed in though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Carroller wrote: »
    Didn't Seery get paid when McCall ( I think) pulled out of his fight? Not sure if he had weighed in though

He got his money to show up, wanted to get his win bonus as he had made weight and the money has obviously already been budgeted in. Can't remember if he actually got it though, I know helwani was making an issue of it can't remember if he got the UFC to give in or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Borg via KO/TKO

WMMA does have all exclusively female cards with Invicta, never heard the "casuals" talking about it like...ever.

Been more than enough occasions of great bouts fighters who happen to be the women, let it grow...seems the minute there's a dud women's fight like the other night some people are quick to rare up, we've all watched an awful chunk of stinkers involving fellas.

Been more than enough occasions of great bouts fighters who happen to be the women,

Name them, genuinely cant remember any epic womens fight.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

DJ was told that the fans did not give a flying feck about him vs Borg and he took that stuipd fight, with tht excuse "TJ hasn't made 125 before" (even though Borg missed it multiple times)....... then he pushes for the Borg fight and Borg misses weight :pac:

DJ needs to learn that prize fighting isn't only about winning, its also about being entertaining and selling PPVs. If you want those big pay days then you have to take risks and fight the risky fights.

Anyway, no I have 0 sympathy for DJ, in fact if he gets onto another PPV he can leech PPV points of some other main event.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Name them, genuinely cant remember any epic womens fight.

Zingango vs Tate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I quite liked Rousey Vs Tate 2 and Tate VS Holm.

The first ever women's UFC title fight was mildly entertaining too. Still no idea how Ronda got out of that neck crank. The myth of Rousey nearly over before it began in earnest

Advertisement