Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Road Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

beauf wrote: »
    You are missing the point.

It actually quicker to wait for the next train than get one to the wrong station and walk between them. I would say its nicer to get the docklands as its shorter time crammed face to face with other passengers, and then any walking you do is less time on the packed train. But for most people it will make more sense to wait for the next train to the station they want. IR could make it more attractive by making the docklands trains longer, less packed and more facilities for mixed modal users (cyclists). Then cycling the rest of the journey become and option. Anyway. Its a bit disingenuous to combine two different routes as the same route for frequency.

I'm not missing the point - when you look at Maynooth line capacity you have to take both sets of trains into account as they both use the same tracks as far as Glasnevin Junction.

They will both serve Broombridge too so should we not take them into account when looking at switching to BXD?

And saying IR should lengthen trains is missing the point too. I'm sure they'd love to do it but the bottom line is that there is no rolling stock in service to do it. To achieve it would require the 2700 Class being reinstated and as posted in numerous threads that requires extra PSO funding from government to cover the costs of reinstating them and operating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The trains gong to docklands varies. Its not always the same length. its not even the same type of train at the same time. Its just changes seemingly at random. So the rolling stock is there some of the time.

The docklands train doesn't go to Maynooth. So including it Maynooth to BXD frequency is completely misleading.
    Similarly for those going to Drumcondra. No point including the Docklands train, it doesn't stop there.

Will you include express trains and good trains, in frequency because they also use the lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The trains gong to docklands varies. Its not always the same length. its not even the same type of train at the same time. Its just changes seemingly at random. So the rolling stock is there some of the time.

The docklands train doesn't go to Maynooth. So including it Maynooth to BXD frequency is completely misleading.
    Similarly for those going to Drumcondra. No point including the Docklands train, it doesn't stop there.

Will you include express trains and good trains, in frequency because they also use the lines?

I said Maynooth LINE - that's the generic term used to describe the line serving the four D15 stations in question. Both sets of trains all serve those stations hence they are relevant.

There is insufficient rolling stock to remove the ICRs from commuter services - that is well documented - if you choose not to believe that then fair enough.

Its just observation the trains aren't always the same length at the same time everyday. Its not a question of belief.

The line frequency (using same tracks) while related, is different to passenger journey frequency. They shouldn't be confounded as you are doing.

We get the line itself can't handle more traffic, without significant investment, and that investment has gone elsewhere regardless of need.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Any chance we can go back on topic folks? This isn't a thread about rail services after all..

• Advertisement

How about a treeline Ski lift through the park. That would be cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's not really much to talk about re the original topic. roads are closed at the weekends, most people are happy.

They closed the entire main road for 6 months or more when they resurfaced it. Took their good time about reopening it. Very little complaining about that then too. People just moved to other routes. There was more fuss about closing the north road when they did that for no reason. Maybe the lack of reason caused the complaints. People accepted the repairs to the main road. I dunno.

Its a great route for cycling commuters. Which has never been negatively effected by any of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

They closed the entire main road for 6 months or more when they resurfaced it. Took their good time about reopening it. Very little complaining about that then too. People just moved to other routes. There was more fuss about closing the north road when they did that for no reason. Maybe the lack of reason caused the complaints. People accepted the repairs to the main road. I dunno.

Its a great route for cycling commuters. Which has never been negatively effected by any of these things.

They didnt actually just resurface it. It was a complete new road, they dug right down and put in new foundations..... The works. The road was in such a bad state before that, it was so welcome to see them actually fix it that it made the closure bearable as you knew there was a new road coming at the end.

Yeah forgot that. Amazing it was so long without a proper foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could see the lack of a decent road bed especially where the tour buses pulled in at the end of the view up to the aras. the road was like an assault course there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Apart from the cycle lane on the odd lamps road being closed to allow cars drive on it when Chesterfield avenue is closed...

That was my original point.
    ...Exactly. It just forces traffic around all the quieter areas in the park....

But while it makes it less nice it doesn't really stop you from using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it but who is reaponsible for the roads within the park, Dublin City Council or the OPW - in other words are they public roads or roads in a public place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GM228 wrote: »
    Apologies if already mentioned and I missed it but who is reaponsible for the roads within the park, Dublin City Council or the OPW - in other words are they public roads or roads in a public place?

OPW

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/visitorinformation/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Been on the navan road for the last 20 minutes only getting to cabra Garda station.

Safe to say if the phoenix park was to close to private traffic, this would cause chaos to Dublin 15 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

thomasj wrote: »
    Been on the navan road for the last 20 minutes only getting to cabra Garda station.

Safe to say if the phoenix park was to close to private traffic, this would cause chaos to Dublin 15 .

I know your pain well my friend :)

I now avoid the stretch of the Navan Road from Cabra Cross to the Halfway House like the plague! Especially in the evenings.

I always detour through Cabra over the new bridge on Rathoath Road, on to Cappagh, then left on to Ballycoolin Rd, taking the turn on Blanchardstown Rd North, on over the Navan road up past the Blanchardstown Centre, past the Millennium Park and home :)

Try it next time.
    Safe journey.

thomasj wrote: »

Odd thing was it didn't when chesterfield ave closed for the best part of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are the weekend closures still only for the summer period?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭horse7

Closed at 9pm now,no signs till on the small roundabout near castle knock end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Are the weekend closures still only for the summer period?
    horse7 wrote: »
    Closed at 9pm now,no signs till on the small roundabout near castle knock end.

They end on the 24th of this month: http://phoenixpark.ie/chesterfield-avenue-partial-closure-at-weekends/

over breakfast this morning, we were idly speculating that it'd be good if they moved the wall of the park along blackhorse avenue; move it 10m inwards into the park, widen blackhorse avenue and permanently close the main avenue. i'm sure the residents along the road there would love the idea though.

I thought something similar except create it inside the park wall. Possibly down the southern edge of the park as most of that is not utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

A better idea would to create traffic cells throughout the park not allowing any through traffic
    It's a park not a motorway to and from the city

Maybe they should ban everyone and make a nature reserve.

Maybe they should ban everyone and make a nature reserve.

It would be far better to have a dual carriageway through the park. At the very least Dublin bus route using it. This at least could keep the deer to one side of the park. There's plenty of park there for people and animals to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

It would be far better to have a dual carriageway through the park. At the very least Dublin bus route using it. This at least could keep the deer to one side of the park. There's plenty of park there for people and animals to enjoy.

Will never happen. Can see vehicular access through the park being closed off shortly. Don't think they want cars in the park using it as a thoroughfare to the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't know if you're on a wind up but it's a ridiculous idea.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't know if you're on a wind up but it's a ridiculous idea.

May sound ridiculous but the most obvious and practical one. Ridiculous is bringing a luas from the city to Cabra west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

May sound ridiculous but the most obvious and practical one. Ridiculous is bringing a luas from the city to Cabra west.

Yep..should definitely have stopped the luas at Cabra east!

Advertisement