Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Road Closed

Options
  • 05-06-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

Is there any rhyme or reason why as they close certain parts of the road in it?

Spent the evening looking at the deer scenery etc and came up by the hole in the wall to turn right towards Castleknock and noticed at the below roundabout the road to the left was now closed.

53.366766, -6.341386 in Google maps

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

jeffk wrote: »
    Is there any rhyme or reason why as they close certain parts of the road in it?

Spent the evening looking at the deer scenery etc and came up by the hole in the wall to turn right towards Castleknock and noticed at the below roundabout the road to the left was now closed.

53.366766, -6.341386 in Google maps

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,33866,en.html

"There will be a partial closure of Chesterfield Avenue from Friday 8th May 2015 to Sunday 27th September 2015 from 8pm on Friday evenings until 8pm on Sunday evenings and Public Holidays from the Phoenix Monument Roundabout to the Mountjoy Roundabout only."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

monument wrote: »
    http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,33866,en.html

"There will be a partial closure of Chesterfield Avenue from Friday 8th May 2015 to Sunday 27th September 2015 from 8pm on Friday evenings until 8pm on Sunday evenings and Public Holidays from the Phoenix Monument Roundabout to the Mountjoy Roundabout only."

No reasons why though. Unless I am missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No reasons why though. Unless I am missing something.

It's an effort to make the Park a more enjoyable experience for visitors during summer weekends by pedestrianizing part of Chesterfield Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

They would want signage further back.

Was going that way one Saturday and mid roundabout oh look its closed, dunno how I didn't hit barrier or be hit from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭horse7

Can we have our road back please, if you must close it 9am _9pm at weekends, but not Fri 9pm _sun 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your road? nice to meet you, mr. higgins.

your road? nice to meet you, mr. higgins.

Obviously misread, our road is not my road!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm broadly in agreement with this, even though I've been caught out by it a few times by forgetting about the closure; it reprioritises the park for people going to it instead of through it

It would make more sense to leave the main road open and close all other entries. Also it would be nice if Phoenix park would update their site with 2016 weekend closure times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Count yourselves lucky, a plan to ban all private car traffic from the Park was averted a few years back. I have no doubt its still on the wishlist of the OPW and others.

As someone living close to the park, the weekend closure of part of the Avenue in summer time to facilitate amenities and events has been a very good thing. The diversions are well established and add perhaps five minutes. Hardly the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I'm broadly in agreement with this, even though I've been caught out by it a few times by forgetting about the closure; it reprioritises the park for people going to it instead of through it

Does it though?
    horse7 wrote: »
    It would make more sense to leave the main road open and close all other entries. Also it would be nice if Phoenix park would update their site with 2016 weekend closure times.

Exactly. It just forces traffic around all the quieter areas in the park.

Which seems to be the exact opposite of the objective.

Unless of course the objective is to encourage people not to go through the park in the car at all.

In which case just stop through traffic. It would be a serious PITA for locals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Attempted to go to living history in visitor centre and forgot/thought this was only at night

Again went to turn off roundabout and last minute seen road closed.

Issue of road closed aside, they really need better signage/advanced notice . No left, road closed ahead etc and then clearly sign alternative routes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

beauf wrote: »
    Does it though?

Unless of course the objective is to encourage people not to go through the park in the car at all.

In which case just stop through traffic. It would be a serious PITA for locals though.

I'd say "reprioritises the park for people going to it instead of through it" and "the objective is to encourage people not to go through the park in the car at all", aren't as far away from each other as you think -- to do the former, you're going to have to do some of the latter.

The OPW don't exactly hide their intent, it's in the park's management plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Only car traffic is affected, it's grand on bikes or walking, which are nice quiet forms of traffic too.

monument wrote: »
    I'd say "reprioritises the park for people going to it instead of through it" and "the objective is to encourage people not to go through the park in the car at all", aren't as far away from each other as you think -- to do the former, you're going to have to do some of the latter.

The OPW don't exactly hide their intent, it's in the park's management plan.

I know. They've closed roads before for no reason at all. Its one of the major transport routes for the D.15 area.

But thats not my point. The point is it encourages cars to do big circular routes on the quieter more scenic areas in the park.
    Only car traffic is affected, it's grand on bikes or walking, which are nice quiet forms of traffic too.

Again the point is those cycling and walking on the quieter areas now have more cars to content with. On smaller roads less suited for the traffic.

Doesn't bother me. Hardly effects me. Just the logic of it, doesn't quite work. Which I always found curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It's hit and miss I guess - depending on where you're starting and finishing there's still ways through the park, as you say, but for many people it'd be as fast to drive around the park and enter near their destination instead

For example, i drove from Islandbridge to Farmleigh via the back roads on the south side of the park this weekend, because i wanted to drive through the park, but I probably should have drove straight up knockmaroon hill and entered the park at that gate, would have been faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I know. They've closed roads before for no reason at all. Its one of the major transport routes for the D.15 area.

But thats not my point. The point is it encourages cars to do big circular routes on the quieter more scenic areas in the park.

Again the point is those cycling and walking on the quieter areas now have more cars to content with. On smaller roads less suited for the traffic.

Doesn't bother me. Hardly effects me. Just the logic of it, doesn't quite work. Which I always found curious.

That's the problem though, it shouldn't be a major transport route for Dublin 15 (and I'm saying that as someone who lives there), it's first and foremost a recreational facility.

I enjoy that area of the park when it's closed, and the hours closed don't really have a major effect on the alternative routes people use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Parking on Chesterfield Avenue on weekdays is mostly commuter traffic.

The park should never be that.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's the problem though, it shouldn't be a major transport route for Dublin 15 (and I'm saying that as someone who lives there), it's first and foremost a recreational facility.

I enjoy that area of the park when it's closed, and the hours closed don't really have a major effect on the alternative routes people use.

It replaces a shorter car journey with a longer one. Doesn't bother me. But it effectively keeps cars in the park longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How many people use the park at the weekends to commute through though?

• Advertisement

How many people use the park at the weekends to commute through though?

It's just general traffic. Not commuting specifically. It's the shortest a to b for a lot of local traffic.

Sending it around around the outside of the park would make more sense than sending it the long way around inside the park.

Always struck me as illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That's the problem though, it shouldn't be a major transport route for Dublin 15

But the Phoenix Park is in Dublin 8...

The words 'for' and 'in' mean different things.

Why is 8, I thought it should be 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But the Phoenix Park is in Dublin 8...

I wasn't saying otherwise, I was responding to another poster saying it's a major transport route for those coming and going to Dublin 15.
    Why is 8, I thought it should be 7.

Apparently it's a throw back to before post codes were in place, it was served by a sorting office that was within what became Dublin 8, and continued to be served by this sorting office after the post codes were in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It would be nice if there were three Dublin Bikes stands in different areas of the park, so you could park a car outside and then cycle through.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I wasn't saying otherwise, I was responding to another poster saying it's a major transport route for those coming and going to Dublin 15.

which it is. just because it is in Dublin 8, that doesn't mean it doesn't serve D15! Come out Castleknock gate and where do you think you are? :rolleyes:

I don't really see the problem. The have been doin it for years now, I would reckon this must be at least the fourth...... it works fine. you are never going to suit all of the people all of the time!

Its works if it suits, unless it doesn't.

Used to bother me, as I used to go through it a lot on a sat/sun. Rarely do it now, so not affected by it.

Chuchote wrote: »
    It would be nice if there were three Dublin Bikes stands in different areas of the park, so you could park a car outside and then cycle through.

Park in the Navan Road Parkway, and bring your own bike, or a fold up bike.

Lots of people park on Chesterfield, and cycle to work from there.

I assume you mean for tourist etc. I assume they think they will enter at parkgate and use the bike hire there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Park in the Navan Road Parkway, and bring your own bike, or a fold up bike.

Lots of people park on Chesterfield, and cycle to work from there.

I assume you mean for tourist etc. I assume they think they will enter at parkgate and use the bike hire there.

I did really - for tourists and for Dubliners too, it would be nice to be able to take a bike, cycle through, go for a walk along the riverbank, come back in, take another bike…

Advertisement