Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to register .ie domain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Charity2020

Blacknight wrote: »
    You cannot register a business name, company name or trademark with a domain extension

You do not need to register a business name that exactly matches the .ie domain name you wish to register, however if the link between the business name and the domain name is not clear, you will be required to provide a signed letter outlining the link

For example, if your business name was:

"Cool Widgets"

then you could get:
    coolwidget.ie, cool-widgets.ie, coolwidgets.ie,cool.ie or widgets.ie

But to get something like:
    tracksuits.ie
    with that business name the link is not obvious, so you'd need the letter

(NB: domain names mentioned etc., are purely for illustrative purposes)
    In this case, I would always do coolwidgets.ie
    It is the name of your business + it is a good search term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

You can register a business name RBN, with CRO.ie for about €30 - €50. Then you can get a .IE domain name. or you can use a personal name. You need to have a claim to get a .IE domain name. however, i think the IEDR are very flexible , if you can find some connection to the domain name, you should be OK.

oh yeah and as previous poster said, its wise to get something people will search for , e.g. "Web Design Dublin.ie or .com" or "PlumberSouthDublin.com" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭jmcc

Websites4u wrote: »
    You can register a business name RBN, with CRO.ie for about €30 - €50.
    It is now down to 20 Euro if you register and pay online. The signature form still has to be posted but an electronic cert will be issued within a week or two.

Regards...jmcc

Great stuff @JMCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just registered a domain name yesterday and it was active an hour later.

Went through register365 and it asks you to fill out a small form.

I always pick, personal name as the website and just say its for a community based website to help aid people.

Anyway, seems to have worked for me through the years with no comebacks.

yes there are ways around it, if you think about it, hosting companies , IEDR want more .IE domain names registered!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Hi,

Question regarding this topic.

I am a system admin in a private school.
    Someone has registered the name of the school with a .ie extension, and has requested a large sum of money for us to purchase it from them.

Were using another extension for the moment, but ideally want the .ie name.

What is the best course of action for us to take, or is there any hope in us getting ownership of the .ie domain without paying this person?

If the school is "st johns" and i own "stjohns.ie" as lets say i have a business called "st johns web design". I don't think so is the shorty answer. If i genuinely use it, then its fair enough. if i'm "holding you to ransom" then they may let it lapse if you are not interested. I would start looking elsewhere. Also , dont think its such a bad think to have stjohns.com or .net or stjohns.school , these will be the norm in years to come! Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Your best course of action is to get your official documents for school with the Registered Business Number or Charity number ie. the info to prove your rights to claim the name.

Contact the iedr.ie who manage the .ie names. They really do not like this type of cybersquatting and .ie domains are not to be sold in this manner. They should be able to at least advise you on how to proceed.

Also take a look at some of the links from this search: https://www.google.ie/search?q=.ie+cybersquatting
    Hi,

Question regarding this topic.

I am a system admin in a private school.
    Someone has registered the name of the school with a .ie extension, and has requested a large sum of money for us to purchase it from them.

Were using another extension for the moment, but ideally want the .ie name.

What is the best course of action for us to take, or is there any hope in us getting ownership of the .ie domain without paying this person?

• Advertisement

agree with all tricky_d said. however, if i bought a domain name stjohnsschool.com i could claim that i am setting up an online course called st johns, so its a grey area. for the time it would take, i would work something out on another domain and if in the future it comes available , buy buy buy!

This case is about a .ie so your point re .com has no relevance as .ie is a managed registry unlike .com.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Websites4u wrote: »
    agree with all tricky_d said. however, if i bought a domain name stjohnsschool.com i could claim that i am setting up an online course called st johns, so its a grey area. for the time it would take, i would work something out on another domain and if in the future it comes available , buy buy buy!

It's a .ie and there are (were) rules in place to limit cybersquatting or secondary domain name sales.

thanks for reply, however the same would go for .ie :

agree with all tricky_d said. however, if i bought a domain name stjohnsschool.ie i could claim that i am setting up an online course called st johns, so its a grey area. for the time it would take, i would work something out on another domain and if in the future it comes available , buy buy buy!

Looks like the IEDR have now backed down on the anti-secondary domain market stance they previously held:

https://www.iedr.ie/how-to-sell-a-domain/

h0neybadger, check out the last couple of paragraphs to see if you may have a valid dispute against the existing registrant.

If not, your only choice appears to be haggle on price.

While they have made those changes the OP might still have a good claim under UDRP if it is 'pure' cybersquatting. Contacting the IEDR should at least point the OP in the right direction. Worth having a chat imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What's a "large sum of money"?
    4 figures?
    5 figures?
    6 figures?

The policy around aftermarket sales was changed after public consultation a few months ago. It's all documented here: https://www.iedr.ie/p30/policy-development/

If there is a valid case for a dispute then you can use the ieDRP, which is the IEDR's version of the UDRP. It is currently the only dispute resolution mechanism available for IE domains:
    https://www.iedr.ie/dispute-resolution/

However without more details of the specifics it's hard to see if there is a valid case or not.

we have 4u.ie i enquired about getting 4u.com a few years ago, think they wanted something like $12M. Ironically, the domain is still there lying idle...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

I use Wix for my hosting etc and have been with them for years so prefer to stay using them.

I can't register a new .ie domain through them so, my question is, once I've registered a new .ie domain through one of the Accredited Registrars (listed on the IEDR website) can I transfer that domain to Wix for hosting? Or can it only be "connected"? :confused:

I want essentially to have an .ie domain name/website but built using Wix, if that makes sense. Is this possible?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Graham wrote: »
    Looks like the IEDR have now backed down on the anti-secondary domain market stance they previously held:

https://www.iedr.ie/how-to-sell-a-domain/

h0neybadger, check out the last couple of paragraphs to see if you may have a valid dispute against the existing registrant.

If not, your only choice appears to be haggle on price.

I contacted them about this as well, I saw a domain name for sale for about €800 and previously resale had been forbidden.

Given the implications of this and that this is a recent change, there are 2 possibilities, 1. they hope to sell more domain names. 2. Someone enterprising has paid for the change.

Anyone who has an issue with this can contact comreg who have authority over the .ie extension.

I would urge anyone not to pay above normal registration fees for any domain name. If you feel the domain name uniquely identifies your trademark or is passing off your business, take a joint case against the owner and the IEDR or just the IEDR if the owner is not identifiable.

• Advertisement

@hillybilly4 yes if you have a wix website, you can have abc.com pointing to it, or have it hosted on abc.com , otherwise i wouldnt think much of WIX if you couldnt do that

davindub wrote: »
    Given the implications of this and that this is a recent change, there are 2 possibilities, 1. they hope to sell more domain names. 2. Someone enterprising has paid for the change.

The change came about as part of the IEDR's policy development process.

You can read more here: https://www.iedr.ie/p30/policy-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

A quick question. I've just registered two (similar) .ie domains for an 'introductory offer' of €8.95. I have been resisting .ie domains in the past, because of the cost compared with .com, but I'm now operating an online store, aiming at a predominantly Irish market, so .ie makes sense.

The authorised registrar's website made it quite clear that it was an introductory offer for the first year, so I was expecting the price of renewal to be substantially more - double, I thought, maybe triple. However, it wasn't until I'd registered, that I saw that renewal is €49.95 per annum!

There are packages offering discounted renewal for buying 2 or 3 years in advance, but looking at other registrars' websites, it's difficult to tell what constitutes good value, as most have similar introductory offers and it isn't clear what their recurring fees will be. Can anyone advise what an 'average' annual renewal fee should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

brynne wrote: »
    The authorised registrar's website made it quite clear that it was an introductory offer for the first year, so I was expecting the price of renewal to be substantially more - double, I thought, maybe triple. However, it wasn't until I'd registered, that I saw that renewal is €49.95 per annum!

There are packages offering discounted renewal for buying 2 or 3 years in advance, but looking at other registrars' websites, it's difficult to tell what constitutes good value, as most have similar introductory offers and it isn't clear what their recurring fees will be. Can anyone advise what an 'average' annual renewal fee should be?

Each?!! That's insane. If that's for two it's a little on the high side, but not quite as bad.
    Think it shouldn't be more than around €20, though it's a while since I've registered any, may have come down a bit

I think I paid 25 last time I renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

MOH wrote: »
    Each?!! That's insane. If that's for two it's a little on the high side, but not quite as bad.
    Think it shouldn't be more than around €20, though it's a while since I've registered any, may have come down a bit
    Err, no. That's each! Clearly, I'm an idiot. Though, in my defence, I only saw the recurring fees because I was logged into my 'control panel' when I purchased the second domain, and the page then appeared. I guess I should have stopped right then and gone to another registrar for the second domain, but I couldn't believe I was reading the page correctly. I bought the domain and then contacted customer support for an explanation.

Now, the only way I would be able to access the page detailing recurring fees, is to pretend to buy another domain, so I took a screenshot.

Naturally, this registrar wants to tie their customers in to as long a contract as possible, but 2 years will cost me €39.95/year in advance (for each domain), and even 3+ years will cost €29.95/year in advance.

Since I only bought the domains a couple of days ago, the registrars have indicated that there would be no problem in my 'upgrading' my contract. But I'm now not sure what to do for the best. These guys are sharp, and I don't really want to be tied to them for longer than I have to be. I'm tempted to leave as is and transfer the domains to another registrar asap ... assuming they will release them.

Any ideas?

Transfer the domains to a more reasonably priced registrar.

IEDR is currently conducting a public consultation on loosening up the rules a little. Some more details here:
    https://blacknight.blog/registering-ie-domain-could-get-much-easier.html
    and here:
    https://blacknight.blog/simplifying-ie-domain-rules-bad-thing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Pity sport.ie and sports.ie are hogged by some spivs. Could have better use for good of Irish sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Very straightforward to register now, only had to scan my Irish passport and can buy any available .ie you want

Advertisement