Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police investigate 'racist' Cool Runnings carnival float

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

There has to be a line somewhere. Obviously I'm sure they are not being intentionally derogatory, but their ignorance gives others an excuse to be. 50 years ago we all collectively worked out that dressing up as a black man should probably be stopped by everyone because the vast majority of people were doing it at racist shows for laughs.

Now that a bit of time has passed we are deeming it okay? It's simply idiotic and unfunny.

If I decide to black myself up, sure why don't I use shoe polish instead of brown paint, slap on some lipstick and sing a jaunty song about eating water melon and being a cotton picking n***** in rags with a Jamaican accent. Most would agree that's racist but how do you define which of those components qualify as derogatory?

The answer is you ban it all because you are a tw*t for trivializing any of it in the first place.
    Obviously it's not being deemed okay, given this news. Not that this incident relates to a similar attitude to the Jim Crow days.

The key elements are intent and context. In the extreme example you gave, there is clearly intent to offend. In this case, it is a few guys emulating physical traits for fancy dress, the way any fancy dress costume would be put together. It's surely easy to see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just to clarify, the mere suggestion of a perceived hate crime is enough for someone to be charged.
    Again, I don't think is correct at all. There is no automatic filing of criminal charges/obligation to file criminal charges solely on the perception of the alleged victim.

The prosecution have to make a decision whether to file criminal charges or not, and what particular charges to file, based on the evidence before them, not just the word/perception of the alleged victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The crowd look really offended. Especially the large portion of black people there.

TELEMMGLPICT000138770764_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpeg?imwidth=1240

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Joe Rogan had a black guest on his show recently, think it was Jamie Foxx. The guest talked about doing this sort of thing and said he saw no issue with it at all and thought controversy around it was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Amirani wrote: »
    Joe Rogan had a black guest on his show recently, think it was Jamie Foxx. The guest talked about doing this sort of thing and said he saw no issue with it at all and thought controversy around it was ridiculous.

Morgan Freeman said it best when asked "How Do We stop Racism?".

Morgan replied "Stop talking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭RayCon

If only people would just **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

And then there was the guy who was charged with hate crimes for teaching his dog to do a Nazi salute. Stupid? Yes. Amusing? Mildly. Hate crime? It's a dog, for fcuk sake: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/09/nazi-salute-dog-man-faces-hate-crime-charge-scotland

God that's funny :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The crowd look really offended. Especially the large portion of black people there.

TELEMMGLPICT000138770764_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpeg?imwidth=1240
    That's outrageous......where the hell is John Candy's character?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Amirani wrote: »

Mentioned on there Bunch of actors swapping race for his new film all star weekend.

Think rdj is Mexican rancher in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The lads look the part. The bobsled is a bit ropey looking though, no wonder they came last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Why do black people need to be offended when there are pathetic white folk to get offended on their behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Wonder if the film White Chicks is considered offensive?

iDave wrote: »
    Wonder if the film White Chicks is considered offensive?

Yes. It offends my intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Cool Runnings was a shyte film. The fact that anyone could think it would be great crack to dress up as the characters from it would tend to indicate that they are morons.

This post is the most offensive thing about this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is it really true that Jamaicans tend to have darker skin than Welsh people?

What should I believe here PC people? Help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Cool Runnings was a shyte film. The fact that anyone could think it would be great crack to dress up as the characters from it would tend to indicate that they are morons.

This is the real hate crime!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

topper75 wrote: »
    Is it really true that Jamaicans tend to have darker skin than Welsh people?

What should I believe here PC people? Help me.

It's not usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mzungu wrote: »
    That's outrageous......where the hell is John Candy's character?
    If you look behind the bobsled float, you can see the right-hand side of his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Comedy is going to get so crap with the way things are going. I couldn't imagine the likes of Father Ted being green lit these days for instance, would probably be deemed offensive against priests, Irish people, British, Chinese etc. Etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Why didn't they just use black people? Problem solved. It does seem a bit stupid to black up nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Get up the yard. It's a comedy classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

pilly wrote: »
    Why didn't they just use black people? Problem solved.

Ya can't do that anymore. Thanks a lot Lincoln.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

When did we collectively decide to stop dressing up as black people? Was there a UN committee meeting? How many votes were passed? I don't recall that one. Did you ask black people first, or did you decide what was best for all brown people on their behalf? Because there's a word for people who do things like that.

Surely you understand I'm referring to the decline of minstrel shows.
    Spider Web wrote: »
    In this case, it is a few guys emulating physical traits for fancy dress, the way any fancy dress costume would be put together. It's surely easy to see the difference.

In this case and most I'm sure. What if they added an extra touch to their outfits - they decide to all eat water melon. Is it offensive now? So they can keep the dreds and the brown paint but somewhere a list of offensive items exists that push their act 'over the edge'.

My point is the vast majority of people are too stupid to understand that proverbial list exists, so they shouldn't even attempt to skirt the edges of it.

You shut your whore mouth.

Cool Runnings was a great movie.

Also it is not offensive whatsoever. It's pretty damned hilarious, actually. If I dress up as Geordi La Forge from Star Trek, it does not mean I'm doing it to be offensive. It's because I think the character is great.

Um...the issue is getting a little confused. I don't know of anyone anywhere who thinks Cool Runnings is offensive.

The issue is that white kids have blacked up like the characters in the film, is that offensive or do they get a pass because it's more of a film reference than a race one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Comedy is going to get so crap with the way things are going. I couldn't imagine the likes of Father Ted being green lit these days for instance, would probably be deemed offensive against priests, Irish people, British, Chinese etc. Etc.

I believe father Ted actually was deemed offensive at the time. The thing is though, it starred Irish actors and the writers were Irish.
    I recall a backlash a few years ago when channel 4 wanted to do a comedy series about the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pilly wrote: »
    Why didn't they just use black people? Problem solved. It does seem a bit stupid to black up nowadays.

So the 4 white lads should have gone and maybe bought , or possibly hired 4 black men from their owners to dress up and parade through the streets? The guys could have donned cotton suits and straw hats to watch the whole thing unfold from their porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I couldn't imagine the likes of Father Ted being green lit these days for instance, would probably be deemed offensive against priests, Irish people, British, Chinese etc. Etc.

The Greeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

So the 4 white lads should have gone and maybe bought , or possibly hired 4 black men from their owners to dress up and parade through the streets? The guys could have donned cotton suits and straw hats to watch the whole thing unfold from their porch.

That's not what I meant at all. But sure you know that.

Advertisement