Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police investigate 'racist' Cool Runnings carnival float

Options
  • 30-08-2017 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Four carnival revellers who "blacked up" to look like a Jamaican bobsleigh team are being investigated by police for racism.

The four men covered themselves in black bodypaint and Lycra bodysuits to dress up as characters from hit comedy Cool Runnings.
    But Dinah Mulholland - who stood for Labour at this year's General Election - said their fancy dress choice was "unacceptable".
    She said: "Utterly horrified to see this from Aberaeron Carnival today. How could this have been considered acceptable, or even legal, by the Carnival organisers?
    Police confirmed they had received a racism complaint and are investigating.

A spokeswoman said: "Dyfed-Powys Police received a report of a perceived hate incident which occurred at Aberaeron carnival on Monday, August 28.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/30/police-investigate-racist-coolrunnings-carnival-float/

Hatred: noun
    the feeling of one who hates; intense dislike or extreme aversion or hostility.

Now, was this really hateful?
    It may surprise you to know that under UK law, there doesn't have to be an explicit racism or hateful act committed. It is entirely up to the 'victim' to perceive something as racist or hateful.
    Yesterday it was Gone With The Wind.
    Today it's Cool Runnings.
    Tomorrow it'll be something else.

The multi million pound 'offence' industry claims another few scalps.
    What kind of sad bastard complains about comedy characters?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Now, was this really hateful?
    It's immensely derogatory and harks back to the day when black actors wouldn't be employed, so white actors 'blacked up'.
    The multi million pound 'offence' industry claims another few scalps.
    I prefer to think of it as the 'stop being sh!t to people' industry.

It's interesting that you complain about people being offended, yet seem to be offended yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Victor wrote: »
    It's immensely derogatory and harks back to the day when black actors wouldn't be employed, so white actors 'blacked up'.

It's interesting that you complain about people being offended, yet seem to be offended yourself.

You are referring to minstrel shows, where white actors lampooned black people as being stupid. THAT was definitely derogatory. Dressing up as a character from a comedy movie is lighthearted fun. Oh wait, is Robert Downey Junior derogatory too?

rdj-tropic-thunder.jpg

I'm not offended by anything, just puzzled by these bizarre reactions. You seem to be a bit confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dressing up as minstrels and the black cotton workers would be racist. This is just lads dressing up as a famous bobsleigh team, it's not putting them down or derogatory.

If this is racist then black people cant white up for costumes or is it only one way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I googled Dinah Mulholland and she strikes me as a woman that hasn't got a slap of the mickey in years. Offended because she feels it is her duty to be offended.

Feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cracker ass crackers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Another wonderful thread I see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

They're not actors FFS. And who were they being sh!t to? Are you sure that any black people even saw it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was the attention seeking twat really "horrified" at what she saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What a load of nonsense. I see Ed Skrein has withdrawn from a role in the new Hell Boy after a massive backlash when he was cast as an originally asian character, despite the fact an Irish red head is being played by a black actor. In yet another "victory" for anti racists, an annual screening of Gone With the Wind has been stopped as it has been deemed "insensitive". Racism finally on the rocks it seems.

• Advertisement

That Mulholland yoke seems like a thoroughly obnoxious fúcker. A creep and an abject bully always looking for some right-on high horse to get on and go full retard with the emotions by accusing some decent person of something unsavoury. Ugh.

Too many of these people in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah and Islamic extremists are concerned about the earth's overpopulation and have found a way to solve it.

This outrage crowd seek attention, they could fight for minority family's being put out of homes all over the UK. But no, 4 guys in a parade without a racist thought in the head are the easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

There has to be a line somewhere. Obviously I'm sure they are not being intentionally derogatory, but their ignorance gives others an excuse to be. 50 years ago we all collectively worked out that dressing up as a black man should probably be stopped by everyone because the vast majority of people were doing it at racist shows for laughs.

Now that a bit of time has passed we are deeming it okay? It's simply idiotic and unfunny.

If I decide to black myself up, sure why don't I use shoe polish instead of brown paint, slap on some lipstick and sing a jaunty song about eating water melon and being a cotton picking n***** in rags with a Jamaican accent. Most would agree that's racist but how do you define which of those components qualify as derogatory?

The answer is you ban it all because you are a tw*t for trivializing any of it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There has to be a line somewhere. Obviously I'm sure they are not being intentionally derogatory, but their ignorance gives others an excuse to be. 50 years ago we all collectively worked out that dressing up as a black man should probably be stopped by everyone because the vast majority of people were doing it at racist shows for laughs.

Now that a bit of time has passed we are deeming it okay? It's simply idiotic and unfunny.

If I decide to black myself up, sure why don't I use shoe polish instead of brown paint, slap on some lipstick and sing a jaunty song about eating water melon and being a cotton picking n***** in rags with a Jamaican accent. Most would agree that's racist but how do you define which of those components qualify as derogatory?

The answer is you ban it all because you are a tw*t for trivializing any of it in the first place.

If an Englishman dresses up as Conor McGregor, is that racist? Like, he puts on the accent and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

If an Englishman dresses up as Conor McGregor, is that racist? Like, he puts on the accent and everything.

St Patrick's Day should really be name cultural appropriation and racist day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

major bill wrote: »
    I googled Dinah Mulholland and she strikes me as a woman that hasn't got a slap of the mickey in years. Offended because she feels it is her duty to be offended.

Feck off

A Labour MP as well.

Wish she was as vocal about the rampant Anti-Semitism in her party. And particularly Naz Shah and her actions.

It may surprise you to know that under UK law, there doesn't have to be an explicit racism or hateful act committed. It is entirely up to the 'victim' to perceive something as racist or hateful.

But...does there not have to be a crime?

I thought that the perception issue arose where there was a crime committed, such as an assault or hate speech...and only after that is there a consideration of whether it was aggravated by a racial element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What a fcuking total waste of resources. There's nothing to investigate here. Blackface is not racist, but there are plenty of people who are just looking for any excuse to be offended and outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Cool Runnings was a shyte film. The fact that anyone could think it would be great crack to dress up as the characters from it would tend to indicate that they are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I thought that the perception issue arose where there was a crime committed, such as an assault or hate speech...and only after that is there a consideration of whether it was aggravated by a racial element.

It leading the UK to a very scary place, when it's up to the "victim" and how they perceive something as being a hate crime or not and not the law itself.

When did we collectively decide to stop dressing up as black people? Was there a UN committee meeting? How many votes were passed? I don't recall that one. Did you ask black people first, or did you decide what was best for all brown people on their behalf? Because there's a word for people who do things like that.
    Now that a bit of time has passed we are deeming it okay? It's simply idiotic and unfunny. If I decide to black myself up, sure why don't I use shoe polish instead of brown paint, slap on some lipstick and sing a jaunty song about eating water melon and being a cotton picking n***** in rags with a Jamaican accent. Most would agree that's racist but how do you define which of those components qualify as derogatory?
    Nice strawman. Nobody is deeming minstrel shows okay, as you very well know.

Incredibly, the law allows for 'perceived' crime. So there may be a perceived incident. For example, you are looking at someone across the way on the train. If they perceive this to be based on their personal identity, then you are in a world of trouble.
    This is directly from the Crown Prosecution Services guidelines:
    6.2 A Hate Incident is defined as:
    “Any incident, which may or may not constitute a criminal
    offence, which is perceived by the victim or any other
    person as being motivated by prejudice or hate.”

6.3 A Hate Crime is defined as:
    “Any incident, which constitutes a criminal offence,
    perceived by the victim or any other person, as being
    motivated by prejudice or hate.”

http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/docs/htc_policy.pdf

Don't forget the ludicrous decision by Nottingham Police to label wolf whistling as a hate crime. As in, up there with the Holocaust, lynchings, and ethnic cleansing:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/this-political-correctness-gone-mad-11615155

And then there was the guy who was charged with hate crimes for teaching his dog to do a Nazi salute. Stupid? Yes. Amusing? Mildly. Hate crime? It's a dog, for fcuk sake: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/09/nazi-salute-dog-man-faces-hate-crime-charge-scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You are correct, the OP is not.

Somebody, such as the victim, might believe that a particular crime is motivated by hostility or prejudice, and they are free to report it to the police as such.

But it must still be proven to the satisfaction of the court that the crime itself was motivated by hostility or prejudice. The perception of the victim alone, is not enough.

Incredibly, the law allows for 'perceived' crime. So there may be a perceived incident.

I didn't think of it like that, that the incident may be perceived only.

I understand that the incident, the assault, the speech, the act etc. has to be established anyway. It cannot simply be perceived. It is aggravated if there is a hate element, and that may be linked to the perception of the victim or target of the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

osarusan wrote: »

Somebody, such as the victim, might believe that a particular crime is motivated by hostility or prejudice, and they are free to report it to the police as such.

But it must still be proven to the satisfaction of the court that the crime itself was motivated by hostility or prejudice. The perception of the victim alone, is not enough.
    I didn't think of it like that, that the incident may be perceived only.

I understand that the incident, the assault, the speech, the act etc. has to be established anyway. It cannot simply be perceived. It is aggravated if there is a hate element, and that may be linked to the perception of the victim or target of the crime.

It's all well and good saying its up to the satisfaction of the courts but that won't stop people's good name getting dragged through the mud by the media, all because of the perception of some looking to be offended type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Venom wrote: »
    It's all well and good saying its up to the satisfaction of the courts but that won't stop people's good name getting dragged through the mud by the media, all because of the perception of some looking to be offended type.
    You are correct - people's good names can get baselessly dragged through the mud.

I am just pointing out that the level of proof needed for conviction of a hate crime is more than just the perception of the victim.

Venom wrote: »

Have there been many prosecutions for "blacking up"?

osarusan wrote: »

Just to clarify, the mere suggestion of a perceived hate crime is enough for someone to be charged. But the case is then brought before the courts where it is decided by the judiciary. I wasn't trying to suggest that a perceived hate crime is enough to have someone convicted there and then.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, the mere suggestion of a perceived hate crime is enough for someone to be charged. But the case is then brought before the courts where it is decided by the judiciary. I wasn't trying to suggest that a perceived hate crime is enough to have someone convicted there and then.

I presume the same standards exist as for the prosecution of any crime.

As in, the police have to be sure there's a prima facie case, and a prospect of a successful outcome.

Again, my understanding is that the hate element is tacked on if that exists and the victim also complains of a hate element. In that case, the police treat it as a hate crime and the prosecution will look for an increased penalty...but there is no lowering of the standard of evidence to establish the crime.

It's a bit like using victim impact statements to assist in sentencing. It's the court listening to the perception of the victim.

Advertisement