Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options
  • 08-08-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello Everyone!
    These threads seemed to have worked in the past, so thought I might as well give it a try. Im going to use the rules that I have seen commonly used on other threads such as;
    - No Cursing
    - No Bullying
    - No Bragging
    - No Spamming etc.
    A few Q's to start us off:
    1. How was TY / 3rd year.
    2. What subjects are you all taking this year (apart from the holy trinity).
    3. What are your expectations for 5th year.
    I thought TY was great but Im starting to get to the point where I really want to get stuck in and work?! I'm Hoping to take french, Economics, History and Geography. And im hoping that 5th year will be a new start to actually work hard and learn from my mistakes in the JC.

Lets hope this thread is a success.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I thought TY was fantastic. Not necessarily the curriculum but all the extra curricular activities and programmes we got to do and the freedom we had to sign up for programmes outside of school as well. Imo I think I've become way more independent and self-reliant as I used to be super shy in front of adults and speaking to adults and having casual conversations was challenging for me, which is something that I've thankfully overcome this year.

The subjects that I got were all my first choices (thankfully :) ). I'll be doing chemistry, biology, accounting, german and the holy trinity all at higher level. Hopefully I won't have to drop but I feel like I'll end up dropping in Irish.

Honestly I'm ready to get down and do some work. While TY was great and all I just want to go back to a regular routine rather than being jumbled all over the place which is what it felt like at times during the year. I really want to put in some more effort than the JC so I'm planning on knuckling down but who knows :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not a tiny bit early? 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

Yeah it may be a bit early but hopefully this thread can be one for 5th and 6th year. It will leave us the hassle of swapping threads after 5th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

shortgirl0 wrote: »
    Yeah it may be a bit early but hopefully this thread can be one for 5th and 6th year. It will leave us the hassle of swapping threads after 5th.

'We' managed before.
    Mods decision I suppose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

We never do swap threads, we just rename the fifth year thread at the end of the year. :cool:

The thought is fine, but the title may be a little confusing / premature, so (hopefully with no hurt feelings resulting) I'm gonna change it. ;)
    jeonahr wrote: »
    I thought TY was fantastic. Not necessarily the curriculum but all the extra curricular activities and programmes we got to do and the freedom we had to sign up for programmes outside of school as well. Imo I think I've become way more independent and self-reliant as I used to be super shy in front of adults and speaking to adults and having casual conversations was challenging for me, which is something that I've thankfully overcome this year.
    Sounds like your TY did exactly what it's supposed to do.

Not all education is about English / Irish / Maths / Physics / Economics etc. ... in fact, many of us would argue that the other stuff is more important in the long run!

• Advertisement

Not all education is about English / Irish / Maths / Physics / Economics etc. ... in fact, many of us would argue that the other stuff is more important in the long run!

Totally Agree! like in my TY my focus was myself; getting to know myself better and figuring out maybe what type of path I want to take after school! And no problem about the name. I totally understand :)

Oh yeah I understand where you're coming from. What I meant was the new classes and subjects we had. For some of these subjects, for example classical studies, the teacher didn't know what they were on about because said teacher was just doing it because the original teacher who was supposed to be teaching the class was on maternity leave. This also happened with our Leadership classes and our Wellbeing classes, though I did appreciate the classes since we did almost nothing in them :D It's the thought that counts, aye? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rk2301

Hi! Nice to meet you guys!

Overall I did enjoy TY. It was nice to get involved in lots of extracurricular activities like mini company, the school musical, BT Young Scientist, first aid, Gaisce etc. My school usually takes in a lot of foreign students for the year during TY as well (it's a boarding school) so it was great getting to know people from all over the world. We went on some cool trips as well!

One thing I didn't like was that there was little to no focus on academics. I'm quite a studious person so I was definitely bored at times. I know that it's meant to be that way though and in the end it was probably a good thing to have a break from academics!

I'll be doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Applied Maths and Spanish apart from the big three. All HL at the moment and I intend for it to stay that way for 5th Year at least!

I'm so ready for 5th Year. I just want to get back into the routine of proper schoolwork! Right now I'm really determined to work hard for the next two years, hopefully it'll stay that way!

Thats pretty much the same as me. I was kind of bored at times and now I just want to get stuck in and work! Although there was more work then I expected to TY, there still wasn't loads. For example we had to do an autobiography in english and still had exams throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

Didn't do 4th year, going into 5th year after doing my Junior Certificate.

Moving schools, quite anxious about it.

Hoping to do something medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

2 years ago I joined a thread similar to this one, I was out of 3rd year and staring 5th year in the face like many on here I'm sure. What followed would be 2 rotten years that I would get nothing for. I'm out of it now and a changed person and Everytime I hear leaving cert now I just sigh. Good luck to everyone here and God bless, I hope ye have a better experience than what I had

Didn't do 4th year, going into 5th year after doing my Junior Certificate.

Moving schools, quite anxious about it.

Hope you get the results your hoping for :)

And I moved schools after 1st year and it was the best thing i have ever done, hopefully you will settle in straight away and the people are nice!

Hope you get the results your hoping for :)

And I moved schools after 1st year and it was the best thing i have ever done, hopefully you will settle in straight away and the people are nice!

Thanks, I most likely didn't do great but that's what I deserve. :D

Hoping to do

Irish (H)
    English (H)
    Maths (O)
    Chemistry (H)
    Biology (H)
    French (H)
    Geography (H)

We will have to wait and see though! :)

I hope so too, might make some new friends.

What are you hoping to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

TY was good, enjoyed the break(?) after the last 3 years or so. still did tests exams and a lot of work but nowhere near as much as 3rd year. Didn't get the best in Irish and Maths in the JC but hoping to improve that during 5th year at least, and I am planning on do honors everything :). Got my 3 choices too, biology, chemistry and business thankfully!

TY was good, enjoyed the break(?) after the last 3 years or so. still did tests exams and a lot of work but nowhere near as much as 3rd year. Didn't get the best in Irish and Maths in the JC but hoping to improve that during 5th year at least, and I am planning on do honors everything :). Got my 3 choices too, biology, chemistry and business thankfully!

Glad you got your choices! :)

Don't mention business to me, I'll start shaking! :eek::D

First day of fifth year tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Fifth year starts Wednesday for me!
    Subjects:
    Maths
    Irish
    English
    French
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

Also anyone thinking of taking applied maths?

I'm not doing applied maths. Don't think I'd like it very much.

First day today. I've survived. :D

Sb567 wrote: »

I'll be starting tomorrow too.

I wanted to take up applied maths as well but my school doesn't offer it :(

I start Thursday! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Introduction day tomorrow, seeing what class I'm in and getting my timetable etc. No school Thursday, and full day Friday. :(

Oh really ? My school has 5 classes a week so obviously 1 every day and we have the choice of App Maths, lcvp or PE!
    Don't know if I'm smart enough tho LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11 faaezkhan01

Hi everyone
    Just started 5th year yesterday in a new school after skipping TY.
    I'm doing Accounting, Chemistry, Economics and French and 'the holy trinity' at HL.

Oh really ? My school has 5 classes a week so obviously 1 every day and we have the choice of App Maths, lcvp or PE!

I find that a lot of all-girls schools don't offer applied maths, which is a shame. :(

I find that a lot of all-girls schools don't offer applied maths, which is a shame. :(

That's really unfair !! All schools should offer it if the students want to attempt it you know.

That's really unfair !! All schools should offer it if the students want to attempt it you know.

All schools would love to offer all subjects at all levels, but you need a certain number of staff to do that and with the decades of cutbacks etc. it's not going to happen, apart from in larger schools, or schools that pay extra to have extra teachers that they do not qualify for based on their numbers.

I've long been of the opinion that instead of having three and four medium sized schools in an area/town, some offering Woodwork, others Home Ec., or some offering Engineering, others Music, there should be large 'area' schools which take all the children of an area (none of this 'your father didn't come here so goodbye' nonsense). Such schools would do away with duplication of facilities, employ more teachers, offer all subjects at all levels to all students and best of all, do away with the nonsense that is the 'better school' concept.

Equal opportunities in Irish education - that would be something to see.

spurious wrote: »
    All schools would love to offer all subjects at all levels, but you need a certain number of staff to do that and with the decades of cutbacks etc. it's not going to happen, apart from in larger schools, or schools that pay extra to have extra teachers that they do not qualify for based on their numbers.

I've long been of the opinion that instead of having three and four medium sized schools in an area/town, some offering Woodwork, others Home Ec., or some offering Engineering, others Music, there should be large 'area' schools which take all the children of an area (none of this 'your father didn't come here so goodbye' nonsense). Such schools would do away with duplication of facilities, employ more teachers, offer all subjects at all levels to all students and best of all, do away with the nonsense that is the 'better school' concept.

Equal opportunities in Irish education - that would be something to see.

Ya I 100% agree like I know we're lucky enough to be offered the amount of subjects we are offered but if they could just make more of an effort to find what the students themselves want you know?

That was an interesting day to say the least.

Things can only improve, right!! :o:p

• Advertisement

Ya I 100% agree like I know we're lucky enough to be offered the amount of subjects we are offered but if they could just make more of an effort to find what the students themselves want you know?

I suppose they have to work with the staff they have. There may well be an Applied Maths teacher on staff in a number of schools who doesn't teach it currently. If the students could get 15 or 20 people together they might make a case for it, though only at one level.

Advertisement