Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 leaving14cert

Is anyone actually doing some study yet? I'm only doing the bare minimum and studying for tests maybe 1/2 nights before. My accounting teacher is suggesting all 5th years should go to after school study already, even through it's packed to the brim with 3rd/6th years. My christmas tests are the last week of school before christmas, so i'll probably start at the end of november. 😅

Anyways, i'm taking the holy trio, german, economics, business, accounting and then music outside school. My friends were shocked when I chose not to do a science subject and do all 3 business ones instead... i'm so glad i ignored them all because I LOVE my subjects!! Except english & irish, I have to haggle with my principal within the next week to allow me to drop to OL irish, even though i got a B for JC. Really can't stand the subject and don't want to spend the next 2 years of my life stressing with it, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

Is anyone actually doing some study yet? I'm only doing the bare minimum and studying for tests maybe 1/2 nights before. My accounting teacher is suggesting all 5th years should go to after school study already, even through it's packed to the brim with 3rd/6th years. My christmas tests are the last week of school before christmas, so i'll probably start at the end of november. ��

Anyways, i'm taking the holy trio, german, economics, business, accounting and then music outside school. My friends were shocked when I chose not to do a science subject and do all 3 business ones instead... i'm so glad i ignored them all because I LOVE my subjects!! Except english & irish, I have to haggle with my principal within the next week to allow me to drop to OL irish, even though i got a B for JC. Really can't stand the subject and don't want to spend the next 2 years of my life stressing with it, lol.

I'm revising what we do in class, but definitely no strenuous studying so far. Apart from biology and English, homework isn't in the bucketfuls yet either.

If you got a B you must be good, I'd give it a chance. A H5 is the same as an O1. :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

My school's moving pretty fast. All the tests are suddenly appearing at once. Got a biology test, business test and maths test next week. Most classes we get learning for hw and then we get asked questions on it the next day so eh. Pretty fast going back into things after TY, taking a while to get used to.

Biology - 100%
    Geography - 100%

Two tests done, and going well. No other tests planned of yet that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Is anyone actually doing some study yet? I'm only doing the bare minimum and studying for tests maybe 1/2 nights before. My accounting teacher is suggesting all 5th years should go to after school study already, even through it's packed to the brim with 3rd/6th years. My christmas tests are the last week of school before christmas, so i'll probably start at the end of november. 😅

I'm thinking along the same lines. I got a B at JC but the standard they're expecting from us at the moment is ridiculous compared to what the JC was like. I'm struggling already and at the moment I'm putting in more effort into Irish than any other subject.

Tests aren't really coming much bar for one teacher. Apparently he's one to give continuous tests. I got 85% on my math test (probably my fault considering I didn't learn off the proof :D ). I'm due to get my chemistry test result back anytime this week. Other than those two tests from the same teacher nothing much has happened in class that's note worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm much the same guys. It turns out my supersonic Irish teacher came from an all girls Gaelscoil, no wonder why she teaches fast and acts like we all are very fluent into Irish. Irish is really the only subject I'm stressing over. I really cannot stand my teacher. I had the talk with my resource teacher last week about her. He said that my class came to him also to talk about her..... so I was not alone whatsoever in thinking she's ridiculously fast in teaching. He also said to come back to him if she does not slow down in the mean time. In fairness, she has slowed somewhat though still fast. I got a B in JC Irish (HL) also.

I think I have a very lazy attitude thanks to TY. I am the laziest I've been all my life and hate how I am. I'm really struggling to get back into the normal routine before TY happened for me. But in terms of the subjects themselves, Irish is my only problem, besides my slow hand writing to which I'm waiting on the Department of Education to give me a laptop for. My slow handwriting is making homework much longer than it needs to be, being left behind in class in terms of classwork and getting it done or taking down notes.

The pace at which some subjects are being taught was definitely a shock to the system! In maths we've almost all of Algebra I finished, and in both Irish & English we've 3 poems finished with essays/an analysis done for each. Not sure how that compares with other schools but compared to other classes it seems like we're flying it, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm much the same guys. It turns out my supersonic Irish teacher came from an all girls Gaelscoil, no wonder why she teaches fast and acts like we all are very fluent into Irish. Irish is really the only subject I'm stressing over. I really cannot stand my teacher. I had the talk with my resource teacher last week about her. He said that my class came to him also to talk about her..... so I was not alone whatsoever in thinking she's ridiculously fast in teaching. He also said to come back to him if she does not slow down in the mean time. In fairness, she has slowed somewhat though still fast. I got a B in JC Irish (HL) also.

I think I have a very lazy attitude thanks to TY. I am the laziest I've been all my life and hate how I am. I'm really struggling to get back into the normal routine before TY happened for me. But in terms of the subjects themselves, Irish is my only problem, besides my slow hand writing to which I'm waiting on the Department of Education to give me a laptop for. My slow handwriting is making homework much longer than it needs to be, being left behind in class in terms of classwork and getting it done or taking down notes.

I'm the same, my brain is melted after every day and I'm the laziest I've been in years. I need to wake up and realise it's time to get a move on again. Got 69% in French and forgot some homework today which was enough to wake me up a little.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

andymann wrote:
    This might not be in your headspace at this moment in time folks, but some small, continuous preparation for the Irish/second language oral could really make your lives easier.

This is true for all subjects really. Keep on top of the day's work. Really put effort into homework. Revision every weekend of the week's work, every fourth weekend of the work already done. Dont waste time revising stuff you know you already know/understand.

Does anyone else who did TY regret doing it at this stage? In my school it seems to be most people either loved it and would do anything to be back in TY or hated it, no middle ground at all

• Advertisement

Does anyone else who did TY regret doing it at this stage? In my school it seems to be most people either loved it and would do anything to be back in TY or hated it, no middle ground at all

100% hated it and regret it though I had no choice because it's mandatory in my school. I was hoping to move to another school just because of it being mandatory.

I loved it in my school but I wouldn't necessarily want to go back. I want to get into the academics now after doing a different type of learning from TY.

The amount of tests we've been given in the last month is insane! Feels like I've had more tests in the last 4 weeks than in all of 3rd year. :(

I also can't believe the huge jump in the standard of some subjects... especially English. I think I revised a grand total of 5 poems for my junior cert, the amount of work needed for LC English seems humongous! The standard of HL Irish seems mad too, but thank god I'm in ordinary level now.... piss easy :D

On another note, I really wish religion was optional at our school for leaving cert... we have THREE religion classes a week and all we do is talk and watch movies! My time would be better spent studying. :mad: It's also compulsory as an exam subject for junior cert, totally ridiculous we still don't get a choice for senior cycle.

The amount of tests we've been given in the last month is insane! Feels like I've had more tests in the last 4 weeks than in all of 3rd year. :(

I also can't believe the huge jump in the standard of some subjects... especially English. I think I revised a grand total of 5 poems for my junior cert, the amount of work needed for LC English seems humongous! The standard of HL Irish seems mad too, but thank god I'm in ordinary level now.... piss easy :D

On another note, I really wish religion was optional at our school for leaving cert... we have THREE religion classes a week and all we do is talk and watch movies! My time would be better spent studying. :mad: It's also compulsory as an exam subject for junior cert, totally ridiculous we still don't get a choice for senior cycle.

I've had lots more tests in 3rd year than 5th year so far. I think the amount of tests I've had this year so far - though there's a long way to go before the end of it, has been fair.

I can agree with you on that one especially Geography.

Luckily, I don't have to do Religion nor is it an examination subject in my school, sorry to tell you :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I've had 2 maths tests so far this year. (Failed the first one majorily, but then so did the really high markers) and getting the results for my other on monday (hopefully better!). I've had a business test which got full marks (delighted!), biology test and an english quotes tests. We do have to learn quotes from our play basically every night, but we have a PME (new hdips) for tuesday-thursday so it makes things a bit awkward. Have an economics test coming soon at midterm. I'm delighted i changed from chemistry to economics, it so much better (for me)!.

I love the religion class, its like a break during an otherwise tough day. have it twice a week and i really look forward to them always :D

Worst result so far was 55% for an English essay, doing well otherwise.

Geography test tomorrow.

Religion class is an utter waste of time, in my opinion anyway.

100% agree with the standard in subjects. Irish has got me bogged down, we've got a teacher who it's his first time teaching HL LC and we're jumping all over the place each class.

I'm after getting loads of tests as well. 2 in maths, chemistry, german and irish so far and only 1 in biology.

My lowest so far was 75% in chemistry but apparently our class has done poorly in the recent maths test, which we're still waiting on the results.

I have a double period of religion each week which is mandatory, but thankfully in LC it's not an exam subject unlike in the JC in my school. We're reading the novel called "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" and we also do our mandatory 6 periods of the year of relationship education or whatnot in that double.

How does this make the slightest bit of sense? My class had to do an essay on the importance of Irish. There is only 6 of us including myself in the whole class. My classmate copied my entire essay word for word and received a H2 from my teacher yet I, the one, who came up with the whole thing, got a H4. :confused::mad:

I've done two Maths tests, a Business test, a Music test, 2 Irish tests, a Geography test and 5 French tests in 5th year so far. My results have been around 60-80% generally.

How does this make the slightest bit of sense? My class had to do an essay on the importance of Irish. There is only 6 of us including myself in the whole class. My classmate copied my entire essay word for word and received a H2 from my teacher yet I, the one, who came up with the whole thing, got a H4. :confused::mad:

I've done two Maths tests, a Business test, a Music test, 2 Irish tests, a Geography test and 5 French tests in 5th year so far. My results have been around 60-80% generally.

Perhaps your teacher is grading people based on their ability. I have a teacher that’s doing that. :rolleyes:

Perhaps your teacher is grading people based on their ability. I have a teacher that’s doing that. :rolleyes:

So, she expects higher quality from me than the other guy? Well that would make sense to me if the guy did not copy my entire essay word for word lol.

• Advertisement

So, she expects higher quality from me than the other guy? Well that would make sense to me if the guy did not copy my entire essay word for word lol.

That’s basically what one of our teachers told us, I got a H1 but someone else could get a H1 for less. Perhaps not, just a suggestion. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps she knew you had let the other person copy yours and it was to teach you a lesson.

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps she knew you had let the other person copy yours and it was to teach you a lesson.

That makes 0 sense, if anything he should be the one who gets punished cause he's being pathetic and lazy whilst I spend my time doing this absolute ****e I'll never come across again in my life after the LC.

That makes 0 sense, if anything he should be the one who gets punished cause he's being pathetic and lazy whilst I spend my time doing this absolute ****e I'll never come across again in my life after the LC.

Will you lend him your work again?

Will you lend him your work again?

If he asks for answers, I don't care. It's his future. By getting answers off me, he won't learn anything in school for the exam. He will know little to nothing on the subject by doing so. Why on earth would I get punished for doing something like that? He's been asking me for answers ever since 2nd year. I got a B in JC Irish, he got a D..... does that not say enough?

I don't know your teacher but I'd say they were well aware you had done the work and maybe wanted to make sure you didn't let him copy again. Complete waste of his time anyway.

I'll see after mid-term anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

How did everyone get on in their Christmas exams?
    Post your results here if you’d like ! I will when they come in the post.

I don't know your teacher but I'd say they were well aware you had done the work and maybe wanted to make sure you didn't let him copy again. Complete waste of his time anyway.

So the answer was that she was not aware of him copying me because she corrected them on individual days. Not to mention, she said that she expects better of me than what I gave her in the essay. I was like..... but I can't do anything better than that, what makes you think I can do better? If you say so, you're unnecessarily stressing me over nothing. I really really do not like my Irish teacher.

The person who copied my work dropped to OL as he was just not up to coping with HL - think it was the better decision of him to.

• Advertisement

Sb567 wrote: »
    How did everyone get on in their Christmas exams?
    Post your results here if you’d like ! I will when they come in the post.

Honestly rubbish, some were stupid such as Business, way too long for the time given to complete it.

Advertisement