Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Got all my results, my school put them.up online now rather then sending out a lot of letter, better too tbh.

Only did really bad in Irish, didn't get above 50. 65 in Economics which I'm delighted with. H2 in business, dropped to ordinary maths and went from a h7 to a h1 (first time getting that haha) and got H2/h3's in everything else. I'm happy :) oh also got a h4 in German, she have us a deadly test with stuff we didn't do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Got all my results, my school put them.up online now rather then sending out a lot of letter, better too tbh.

Only did really bad in Irish, didn't get above 50. 65 in Economics which I'm delighted with. H2 in business, dropped to ordinary maths and went from a h7 to a h1 (first time getting that haha) and got H2/h3's in everything else. I'm happy :)
    That’s unreal

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Honestly rubbish, some were stupid such as Business, way too long for the time given to complete it.

Really ? I felt for biology I had too long aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

I got a H8, H4, 2 H2s and 3 H1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Sb567 wrote: »

I second that. I had too long for biology but barely had enough time for English and my thumb was practically going to fall off afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Sb567 wrote: »

Yeah, it was actual LC length. Difference being we had only 1 hr 30 mins to complete it, not 3 hrs. My classmates couldn’t finish it either and this is coming from a guy who typed his exams (and I’m a very fast typer.

jeonahr wrote: »
    I second that. I had too long for biology but barely had enough time for English and my thumb was practically going to fall off afterwards.

Exactly like !

Yeah, it was actual LC length. Difference being we had only 1 hr 30 mins to complete it, not 3 hrs. My classmates couldn’t finish it either and this is coming from a guy who typed his exams (and I’m a very fast typer.

God we had too much time for ours! That was like maths for me though so much in such little time

• Registered Users Posts: 29 leaving14cert

Felt like my hand was going to fall off coming out of my English exam! We had an essay on 1 of 2 poets and a comprehension. I was so stuck for time, I managed to get the comprehension done in the last 35 minutes though. How I'm supposed to write a poetry essay in ~50 minutes plus all these other essays in the actual leaving cert, I don't know. :pac:

Felt like my hand was going to fall off coming out of my English exam! We had an essay on 1 of 2 poets and a comprehension. I was so stuck for time, I managed to get the comprehension done in the last 35 minutes though. How I'm supposed to write a poetry essay in ~50 minutes plus all these other essays in the actual leaving cert, I don't know. :pac:

Same here! Ours was either Sylvia Plath or seamus heany, I think I did ok in that though. Had to write a question on Macbeth too and we only ever did one wuestion on Macbeth on act 1, so was a bit silly really! Had to write a speech aswell, all in all 9/10 pages written, and 67% so happy with that for the first English exam!

• Advertisement

Got three results back now.

English - 55%..... I'm very unhappy with this result and feel ashamed.

Geography - 68%.... in contrast to English, I'm chuffed with this result. I was expecting to barely scrape a pass if I was lucky because I found it difficult.

French - 68%.... ok, I've nothing to say regarding this as it's an alright result.

My Christmas results:
    English(hl) 51%
    Maths (hl) 50%
    French (hl) 82%
    Physics(hl) 85%
    Chemistry(hl) 97%
    Biology(hl) 99%
    Applied maths(hl) 72%
    Do Irish OL and haven’t gotten it back yet.
    I’m happy tbh but not really with maths but we had absolutely no time and I got the third highest the lowest was 12%. Teacher was fuming.
    Anyone know a good place to get grinds for maths in cork? Really need them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

Got nearly all of my results back :))
    Business - 87%
    Maths - 92%
    English - 92%
    French - 94%
    Irish - 94%
    Chemistry - 95%
    Biology - (pending lol)
    all HL

I worked really hard this year and read a short question wrong which cost me 3% in business :(( but I'll learn from it and I hope I can maintain my results but it'll be difficult!

Just seeing you guys' results makes me wanna quit school even more.

I am so jealous.

i have no idea how you guys do so good in the HL maths, physics, chemistry etc. Study is both boring and difficult, uninteresting. I'd rather not learn crap I won't use in the direction I want to go :/ Majority of school is useless to me.. sigh.. im with you sryan

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I am so jealous.
    Good results now are a nice boost, but in the end quite irrelevant tbh (no offence to anyone).

The results on the official bit of paper are the only ones which matter. ;)

Also remember the people who rammed all their Christmas tests probably won't pop in to post about it!

Results so far are:
    Biology - 92%
    English - 57%
    Irish - 64%
    Maths - 73%
    German - 91%
    all at HL.

I'm still waiting on my accounting and chemistry results. Honestly not surprised with my results as they're all around what I was expecting, but I can't help but be disappointed with English. I knew it was going to be my worst but I didn't expect to get that low.

I know for sure that there's still room for improvement, just need to find some of that motivation. I'm not too bogged with results though seeing as it's only been a few months and there's lots of time to improve.

The first few months were a shock but now that we're all back into the rhythm and routine of school we can definitely survive this and improve on what we have :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am so jealous.

You can't really compare these results though. It more than likely was not the same test and the examining experience of the teacher(s) is an unknown. As randy said, it's the real results that matter.
    Keep working away and you'll be fine.

I'm getting an exemption from Irish, yet I was the top of the class of HL at 70% for Christmas tests. The psychologist wanted me to because my stress had become an all-time high as a result of this one subject.

It was either Irish or drop Business so I could focus more on my Irish, but I went with the Irish exemption because Business isn't causing me problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

Results I got at Christmas:
    All higher level

English:70%
    Irish:70%
    Maths:65%
    French:92%
    Biology:91%
    Geography:93%
    Chemistry:91%

Im seriously considering to drop to ordinary level Irish, cant stand the subject and I want to focus on maths and english more, does anyone have any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you're getting 70% at HL, it's a bit early to be considering dropping ...

Thatlcgirl wrote: »
    Results I got at Christmas:
    All higher level

English:70%
    Irish:70%
    Maths:65%
    French:92%
    Biology:91%
    Geography:93%
    Chemistry:91%

Im seriously considering to drop to ordinary level Irish, cant stand the subject and I want to focus on maths and english more, does anyone have any advice?

Honestly considering the grades you're getting I'd only drop if I wasn't passing other subjects and if it was taking too much of my time up. Your grades seem to be around the same band so unless there's a drastic difference I wouldn't drop because you never know which one you might end up doing better at.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

jeonahr wrote: »
    Honestly considering the grades you're getting I'd only drop if I wasn't passing other subjects and if it was taking too much of my time up. Your grades seem to be around the same band so unless there's a drastic difference I wouldn't drop because you never know which one you might end up doing better at.

Thats what everyone is telling me, and that Im good at Irish and it could be my safety net for the lc, but I really find the subject hard since junior cert and I cant see myself being able to take the higher level paper. The aural is stressful, and I cant make correct sentences with confidence, and I have come to my teacher, my tutor and my year head about it and they all said I should not drop, and then because I was enquiring about it a little too much my year head banned from dropping in 5th year, so I would have to wait till 6th year to drop. I feel like the subject is taking up to much time from my study, which I could give to other subjects, has anyone done higher level and dropped to ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

Honestly can't wait for mid term. Schools going well for me atm apart from like boy drama but thats the norm. Got a few results back so might as well share them; I had an english essay on compelling scenes in Macbeth which I got 96% which I'm so happy about considering my worst grade atm is english, I got 100% in a geography test and then 85% in an economic test. Also have to send in my prefect application tomorrow. I'm really hoping to get head of student council!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

Got 2 H1s in economics and geography, hoping for the same in my biology test.

Wow you are all doing great in economics, got 65% in my Christmas exam, so many definitions and graphs hard to study! Confusing!

got picked to be able to go to a BIS open day on 6th march in UCC. Looking forward to that, will hopefully help me decide if i'd like to do BIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 leaving14cert

How many chapters have the rest of you guys covered in HL Maths?? Our teachers are saying we’re quite behind but I just want to see how behind we actually are. :pac:

So far we’ve covered:
    Algebra 1,2,3
    Real Numbers
    Indices & Logarithms
    Trigonometry
    Co-ordinate Geometry: The Line
    Statistics I

and we use Active Maths 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

How many chapters have the rest of you guys covered in HL Maths?? Our teachers are saying we’re quite behind but I just want to see how behind we actually are. :pac:

So far we’ve covered:
    Algebra 1,2,3
    Real Numbers
    Indices & Logarithms
    Trigonometry
    Co-ordinate Geometry: The Line
    Statistics I

and we use Active Maths 4.

So far we have finished all of algebra, All of logs, sequences and series and are now on financial maths. We use book 4 also.

• Advertisement

Can't believe I'm saying this but can't wait for school to resume.

Advertisement