Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

Ok well that explains the huge shift in the curve. Good news I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

LorcanOB wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm praying a large jump doesn't come. Here is my correspodance with GAMSAT:

"The percentile ranks are an indication for candidates to show how they performed against the cohort that sat the same test. The percentile curves vary with each cohort. The universities do not consider percentile ranks but the section and overall scores. These are scaled by ACER to be directly comparable. Please note this is the first time that the GAMSAT percentile curve for March 2017 includes all candidates worldwide. In previous years the percentile rank for GAMSAT Ireland included only candidates that had registered candidates for GAMSAT Ireland (as GAMSAT Australia was a separate registration). Please contact the universities/CAO about the cut-off scores as we are not involved in the selection process."

It seems that the Australian cohort way outperformed us and shifted the curves, so hopefully a large jump isn't imminent.

I emailed them first thing yesterday as I suspected that's what happened still waiting on a reply from them tho, weird how it wasn't specified on the results pdf thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mont010

Hey guys! I just wanted to see if anyone could help me out with this change in percentile curve. Well done to those who got the score they were looking for! I got my results yesterday and I got 57 (first time) but was hoping for 59+ to get into UCD/RCSI.

As the percentile curve shown is for all countries does this mean that our GAMSAT score for this year is compared to all those who sat it in Australia, UK and Ireland? If so, this would mean those who sat the Irish exam in March would have a lower score as the Australians have outperformed us and achieved higher scores (judging by the curve and the fact that they need high scores). If scores are down for the Irish then maybe cut offs might also be lower when CAO offers come out? Of course, those who sat the GAMSAT in 2016 in Ireland would have an advantage this year because their scores were only ranked against other Irish.

I read that GAMSAT has always adjusted scores for each country. Maybe they have kept this format this year and just given us the overall percentile curve. An overall percentile curve isn’t very helpful for predicting the Irish performance and CAO offers and it would be better if they provided us with an Irish percentile curve.

I’m in that unfortunate borderline area and not sure whether to start studying for September or move to Limerick/Cork so I’ve resorted to predicting! I know I should ask ACER but I thought I’d try here first and see whether ACER just didn’t bother giving us the Irish percentile curve or if they have switched to ranking our GAMSAT score against all countries?

I would say as a method of estimation to apply your score to say the previous 4/5 Irish curves and average your percentile . We cannot deduce anything from this curve as it is completely misrepresentative .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Arabella19

Hi guys,

Has anyone requested the Irish curve from Acer? It seems a bit unfair of them not to give it out when it has been released in all previous years.

It would also be useful to compare the Irish curve from last year to this year to see if there might be a point rise for Irish universities.

I got 63 in the March 2017 exam, which I was delighted with (have UCC down first) until I looked at the percentile curve!

• Advertisement

I emailed and requested it. They said they are not differentiating this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LikeDolphins

That's so frustrating, hopefully there won't be too much of a jump.

That's so frustrating, hopefully there won't be too much of a jump.
    I think ignoring the percentile curve and focusing on the result you achieved makes the most sense. The percentile curve we received is not comparable to what has been received by past Irish candidates, whereas the global result is.

Acer correspondence: 'The percentile curve is provided for all candidates that sat GAMSAT March 2017 worldwide. We do not provide country-specific curves. Please note the universities will not consider the percentile ranks as these vary with each cohort. They will consider your section and overall scores as these are scaled by ACER to be directly comparable.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blahhhhh

Hi guys! Wanted to check one thing - anyone who graduated before this year, did we have to send our transcripts off to CAO in March or do we only have to send them now? Thanks!

• Advertisement

I submitted them in March. It says that the facility closed to do so on the 21st of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Just registered for the September exam. Really hope I can get enough point on the first attempt. Hoping to start GEM Sep 2018. :)

Hello! Just wondering, did anybody who sat the exam use the 'GAMSAT Online Written Communication Practice Test' that Acer offer for €11? I decided to try it out today. My degree is in a biological science, so felt section II would be a weak section for me. Section A was around the general theme of Space Exploration, and Section B Humour. I stuck to the time limits, and wrote 463 words for Section A and 492 for Section B. Following submission it said:
    'You have achieved a score in the range of 73 to 84 on this GAMSAT Online Written Communication Practice Test. This result places you in the top 10th percentile band.'

Is this service reliable? I was expecting a much lower score. I know I have lots of work to do, but it's nice to think I could do well in this section. :)

3 weeks left until the September exam! Anybody else sitting it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 debbysoap

3 weeks left until the September exam! Anybody else sitting it? :)

I'm sitting it! The best of luck @Celestial12 & everyone else with hopes set on achieving a successful medical career; God help us all!

debbysoap wrote: »
    I'm sitting it! The best of luck @Celestial12 & everyone else with hopes set on achieving a successful medical career; God help us all!

Thanks debbysoap! How are you set for the exam? I've still got a lot to do over the next few weeks, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :P Didn't get anywhere near as much as I wanted to get covered done. Glad I registered for the September exam anyway, as there's always March if it doesn't go well.

Best of luck to you too!

Thanks debbysoap! How are you set for the exam? I've still got a lot to do over the next few weeks, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :P Didn't get anywhere near as much as I wanted to get covered done. Glad I registered for the September exam anyway, as there's always March if it doesn't go well.

Best of luck to you too!

Thank you! I still have quite a bit to cover but I'm steadily getting there. With a lot more practice and revision I'll feel a lot more confident; the reminder email from GAMSAT this morning served as a nice boost of motivation haha. I'm also reminding myself that the exam is mostly based on reasoning rather than cramming large volumes of material so hopefully all goes well. I aim to enrol in the 2019-2023 Medicine class.

Thank you! I still have quite a bit to cover but I'm steadily getting there. With a lot more practice and revision I'll feel a lot more confident; the reminder email from GAMSAT this morning served as a nice boost of motivation haha. I'm also reminding myself that the exam is mostly based on reasoning rather than cramming large volumes of material so hopefully all goes well. I aim to enrol in the 2019-2023 Medicine class.

You've got plenty of time then! You're better off getting the GAMSAT out of the way now though, that way you're under less pressure. Any idea where you want to go? For section I I've been doing practice papers, and for section II I've written a few essays. I'm going to read AC Grayling's The Meaning of Things too, as a lot of people have recommended it.
    Really need to step it up for section III. Biology should be OK, almost finished organic chemistry and then I'll start revising general chemistry. Hoping to start some practice questions this weekend.

What material are you using? :)

You've got plenty of time then! You're better off getting the GAMSAT out of the way now though, that way you're under less pressure. Any idea where you want to go? For section I I've been doing practice papers, and for section II I've written a few essays. I'm going to read AC Grayling's The Meaning of Things too, as a lot of people have recommended it.
    Really need to step it up for section III. Biology should be OK, almost finished organic chemistry and then I'll start revising general chemistry. Hoping to start some practice questions this weekend.

What material are you using? :)

Yeah! I'm a final year student (Pharmacy) so I want to get it done before I resume term. Using for dummies books e.g. Physics, practice papers, vocabulary.com & readtheory.org are good for section 1, as well as some MCAT verbal reasoning example questions (different style of questioning but still good practice). I've a flair for certain topics in S3 so I just need get a handle on time management and reasoning skills (I've noticed that a lot of the questions only require you to read the passage and extrapolate information). I heard Oliver Twist was a good read also. For section two, learning vocabulary and brainstorming ideas are what I've done so far; gonna write more essays regularly.
    Hoping on UCD or RCSI in Ireland; might do it in the UK though. How about you?

Yeah! I'm a final year student (Pharmacy) so I want to get it done before I resume term. Using for dummies books e.g. Physics, practice papers, vocabulary.com & readtheory.org are good for section 1, as well as some MCAT verbal reasoning example questions (different style of questioning but still good practice). I've a flair for certain topics in S3 so I just need get a handle on time management and reasoning skills (I've noticed that a lot of the questions only require you to read the passage and extrapolate information). I heard Oliver Twist was a good read also. For section two, learning vocabulary and brainstorming ideas are what I've done so far; gonna write more essays regularly.
    Hoping on UCD or RCSI in Ireland; might do it in the UK though. How about you?

You've got a good background for med in that case! I'm from a science background, but don't know certain topics as well as I should. I used to be good at general chemistry but I don't remember it as well as I would like. I think it should come back with some revision though. Biology should be fine, but I feel that section in particular is one that you can do well in even if you had no background (I'm in biological sciences). I'm not going to have time to cover physics for the September exam. The scores that we need here are quite low, especially compared to other countries. I think I can get away with it. I'll cover it for March if I have to sit again. I'd rather spend the next three weeks covering topics well, rather than trying to cram physics in on top of everything else.

Going to leave the Acer exam papers for the week before the exam. I have them all. :)

Haven't decided where I'm going to go. Initially I wanted UCD, but I'm leaning towards UCC or UL now. I'm going to wait and see what the open days are like. I might apply to the UK too, but definitely want to stay in Ireland. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Guidance

Hi guys, I am also taking the September GAMSAT exam in Dublin. It's proving to be both a lot of work as you may know!

I'm interested in how you guys are preparing for section II - I did the online test 1 and got a score of 69-72. I wrote both in essay format (not short story or letter etc.) and had task A as an argumentative piece whereas task B was written in a personal tone. I also stuck to one quote in both essays.

How are you formatting your writing? Are you going with essays? How many quotes? I sometimes find it tricky to generate complex ideas to the quotes when under timed conditions but have improved of late. I normally use a spider-diagram to make ideas. How do you generate your ideas?

Also, can we write on our question booklet during the exam?

Thanks a bunch

Guidance wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am also taking the September GAMSAT exam in Dublin. It's proving to be both a lot of work as you may know!

I'm interested in how you guys are preparing for section II - I did the online test 1 and got a score of 69-72. I wrote both in essay format (not short story or letter etc.) and had task A as an argumentative piece whereas task B was written in a personal tone. I also stuck to one quote in both essays.

How are you formatting your writing? Are you going with essays? How many quotes? I sometimes find it tricky to generate complex ideas to the quotes when under timed conditions but have improved of late. I normally use a spider-diagram to make ideas. How do you generate your ideas?

Also, can we write on our question booklet during the exam?

Thanks a bunch

You don't have to mention which quote you're using when writing the essay, so I tend not to. They all relate to a general theme, so as long as you don't go off topic you can do whatever you like. For the online test I included the quote from Gandhi in my closing sentence for the essay on humour, but didn't base my essay around it. I scored 73-84 in that test. From what I've read on other forums, it's a good indicator of how you might do, but not something you can bank on.

I write section II as essays. Intro, two paragraphs and a conclusion. I did the online test the day that I registered for the exam. I wasn't expecting much, and did no prep in advance. I've since read tips, and followed advice to write better essays but I've decided not to follow through with it... If you start overthinking your essay, it may come across too forced and read poorly. You don't need fantastic ideas to score well. I felt the guidelines I was reading, about how to construct arguments etc were making me sound too contrived. Definitely need to put some more work into this section, but I feel like it should be OK.

How are you finding section I and III?

You don't have to mention which quote you're using when writing the essay, so I tend not to. They all relate to a general theme, so as long as you don't go off topic you can do whatever you like. For the online test I included the quote from Gandhi in my closing sentence for the essay on humour, but didn't base my essay around it. I scored 73-84 in that test. From what I've read on other forums, it's a good indicator of how you might do, but not something you can bank on.

I write section II as essays. Intro, two paragraphs and a conclusion. I did the online test the day that I registered for the exam. I wasn't expecting much, and did no prep in advance. I've since read tips, and followed advice to write better essays but I've decided not to follow through with it... If you start overthinking your essay, it may come across too forced and read poorly. You don't need fantastic ideas to score well. I felt the guidelines I was reading, about how to construct arguments etc were making me sound too contrived. Definitely need to put some more work into this section, but I feel like it should be OK.

How are you finding section I and III?

Ok, thanks for the reply! I agree with your sentiments regarding section II. I read and watched too much about how to approach section II and felt a bit stifled for a while. Now, thankfully, my writing is becoming more fluid!

I tend to stick to one quote because at first I found it hard to come up with a central thesis on a theme. I think it's easier to do so when focussing on one quote and using the others for generating ideas.

How do you - or do you - generate a plan before writing the essay?

I like section I although some of the older texts can be difficult to decipher. I'm largely using the official papers for that section although I'm considering MCAT Examcrackers as well?

As for section III, well, that's a tricky one! I also enjoy it (at times). I initially felt that practicing exam qs was the only necessary preparation, but quickly learned that study was also beneficial. I've found the physics a bit challenging at times, perhaps due to my relative lack of experience in that area. Having said that, some of the extended biology questions are sneaky little beasts and often require sifting through a lot of BS.

What syllabus are you using? I am using the one in Griffith's guide.

Ok, thanks for the reply! I agree with your sentiments regarding section II. I read and watched too much about how to approach section II and felt a bit stifled for a while. Now, thankfully, my writing is becoming more fluid!

I tend to stick to one quote because at first I found it hard to come up with a central thesis on a theme. I think it's easier to do so when focussing on one quote and using the others for generating ideas.

How do you - or do you - generate a plan before writing the essay?

I like section I although some of the older texts can be difficult to decipher. I'm largely using the official papers for that section although I'm considering MCAT Examcrackers as well?

As for section III, well, that's a tricky one! I also enjoy it (at times). I initially felt that practicing exam qs was the only necessary preparation, but quickly learned that study was also beneficial. I've found the physics a bit challenging at times, perhaps due to my relative lack of experience in that area. Having said that, some of the extended biology questions are sneaky little beasts and often require sifting through a lot of BS.

What syllabus are you using? I am using the one in Griffith's guide.

I read Griffith's guide, and found it gave some useful tips but I haven't stuck to his recommendations. I bought a lot of material around the time that I registered for the exam, but I haven't been able to use the vast majority of it. Which is a pity. I've mainly been using Des O'Neil's notes, and the Berkeley (MCAT) notes. I found the Berkeley notes very good, but due to restricted time I would just fly through each chapter and not really take much in. So I've moved to Khan Academy videos, and I'm finding them good. Haven't done a practice test for section III yet, but might do one this weekend. Going to spend the week prior to the exam practicing questions. I have the Des O'Neill practice questions, the Acer ones, Ozimed, prepgenie, MediRed and Gradmed papers but I definitely won't get through them all! Think I'll just use the Des and the Acer papers.

I don't plan my essays. I just write them as I go along, which may not be the best option. I've always been that way though, I never plan my answers. I'll dig out the one I did for the online test and post it, it's not great but my goal at the time was just to keep writing. I've heard others say they panicked in the exam, and just sat there not knowing what to say. I cringe at most of what I write during essays, so I try not to overthink it and just write.

Also, in relation to your first post - I don't think we can write on the booklet. Not entirely sure, but I think I read somewhere that you're not allowed to.

I have the Examcrackers text for section I. It's slightly different from the GAMSAT prep series, but not bad. I've only gone through the intro questions in it though, I may use it again depending on time.

Are you hoping to start GEM in September 2018?

This is the space exploration essay. It's not something I'd know all that much about, so I just wrote what I could. I have no idea what technologies were developed as a result of NASA research so my examples are pretty shocking :P

Although the benefits of space exploration are debatable, and efforts consume a large quantity of resources, there is much to be gained by making new discoveries about the universe.

During the cold war, the Americans and Russians demonstrated the might of each of their nations through accomplishments in space. Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon in 1969. "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind". This moment was amongst the most significant in human history. It came at a significant cost, but it invoked hope and boosted morale. In America, it was taken to be a sign that the "good" guys win. A moment that united people regardless of their background. It benefitted the entire world, too. The space race allowed the two superpowers flex their muscles in space, and conflict on Earth was avoided.

On the other hand, the vast resources which have been spent on space exploration could be put to better use. The US healthcare system is far from ideal. Access to basic medical care is unaffordable for a large sum of people. The US education system sees many students leaving with debts that will last a lifetime. One could argue that money spent on space exploration would be better spent elsewhere. Indeed, with NASA spending amounting to billions of dollars on an annual basis, it's difficult for even the most enthusiastic of space exploration advocates not to question the logic behind government spending.

"You can’t please them all" is an apt quote to surmise issues such as this. Every decision must be justified, and politicians must be held accountable to their electorate, but it is simply not possible to satisfy everyone. Although certain individuals may suffer as a consequence of our pursuit to explore the boundaries of our galaxy, with funding being diverted from causes some would consider more worthwhile, humanity as a whole is likely to benefit. In terms of the knowledge gained, the advent of new technologies developed as a result of space exploration for which everyone can benefit (i.e. satellite television, SATNAV etc), and the lifting of morale as mentioned previously. National space agencies are a great sources of national pride in many countries.

There will always be many dangers facing humanity, and specific issues limited to certain sections of society. This does not make it acceptable to simply ignore progress because there are more pressing issues at hand, or because it is not deemed to be a priority. What is important to one individual may be insignificant to another. In an ideal world, resources would be plentiful such that space exploration may be pursued in conjunction with addressing dangers threatening humanity. Alas, this is not the case. Decisions must be made, and somebody has to make them.

I read Griffith's guide, and found it gave some useful tips but I haven't stuck to his recommendations. I bought a lot of material around the time that I registered for the exam, but I haven't been able to use the vast majority of it. Which is a pity. I've mainly been using Des O'Neil's notes, and the Berkeley (MCAT) notes. I found the Berkeley notes very good, but due to restricted time I would just fly through each chapter and not really take much in. So I've moved to Khan Academy videos, and I'm finding them good. Haven't done a practice test for section III yet, but might do one this weekend. Going to spend the week prior to the exam practicing questions. I have the Des O'Neill practice questions, the Acer ones, Ozimed, prepgenie, MediRed and Gradmed papers but I definitely won't get through them all! Think I'll just use the Des and the Acer papers.

I don't plan my essays. I just write them as I go along, which may not be the best option. I've always been that way though, I never plan my answers. I'll dig out the one I did for the online test and post it, it's not great but my goal at the time was just to keep writing. I've heard others say they panicked in the exam, and just sat there not knowing what to say. I cringe at most of what I write during essays, so I try not to overthink it and just write.

Also, in relation to your first post - I don't think we can write on the booklet. Not entirely sure, but I think I read somewhere that you're not allowed to.

I have the Examcrackers text for section I. It's slightly different from the GAMSAT prep series, but not bad. I've only gone through the intro questions in it though, I may use it again depending on time.

Are you hoping to start GEM in September 2018?

Thanks for the essay.

Yes, I hope so. I would like to do it in Ireland too.

I only have the ACER papers and Griffith's book. I've looked at Ozimed but they don't supply worked answers which is really frustrating! I'm amazed that you managed to get your hands on so many practice tests though. The Des O'Neill practice tests look good. Did you purchase them first-hand?

Ok, I'm hoping that we are allowed. It can really help to keep track of thought.

*Update*

I scanned the official GAMSAT information booklet and on page 12 it says the following:

''Mark your answers
    directly onto the GAMSAT answer sheet and not in the
    test book. Answers marked in the test book will not be
    scored. Any rough work may be done in the margins
    of your test book
    . Scrap paper is not allowed and not
    provided.''

Thanks for the essay.

Yes, I hope so. I would like to do it in Ireland too.

I only have the ACER papers and Griffith's book. I've looked at Ozimed but they don't supply worked answers which is really frustrating! I'm amazed that you managed to get your hands on so many practice tests though. The Des O'Neill practice tests look good. Did you purchase them first-hand?

Ok, I'm hoping that we are allowed. It can really help to keep track of thought.

*Update*

I scanned the official GAMSAT information booklet and on page 12 it says the following:

''Mark your answers
    directly onto the GAMSAT answer sheet and not in the
    test book. Answers marked in the test book will not be
    scored. Any rough work may be done in the margins
    of your test book
    . Scrap paper is not allowed and not
    provided.''

There's a new Scottish course starting up next year, fees are covered which would be handy. I'm planning on staying in Ireland too.

I got PDF copies of all my material online, through eBay. Paid £100 for everything. The guy then sent me a link to a googledrive file. I think the Des O'Neill material is very good. Their science revision notes aren't great (very monotonous to read) but I'm finding their questions really useful to go through. I've almost finished their material on section I, I just have two more tests to go through. They seem to have a really good reputation, they're highly recommend on Pagingdr.

Thanks for that! Good to know for the exam.

Hi all. Hope preparation is going well.

In case you may be interested, Medical Poland are hosting an open day this Thursday in Europe House beginning at 17:30. Their website provides an email address with which to register (they say you have to register by the end of tomorrow i.e. the 30th).

If anything, it's another option!

Thanks Guidance. How are you feeling about the exam?

I'm hoping to finish up with the theory this week and then move on to practice questions either this weekend or early next week. I'm behind schedule, but there's not much I can do at this point! We should be sent our tickets this week. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Guidance. How are you feeling about the exam?

I'm hoping to finish up with the theory this week and then move on to practice questions either this weekend or early next week. I'm behind schedule, but there's not much I can do at this point! We should be sent our tickets this week. :)

Okay, it's coming along (I think!).

Yes, that sounds good. If you're stuck for time just stick to the ACER material. It's probably your best bet. :-)

Advertisement