Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 edel.happy

Just gotten my hands on some PDF copies of Des O Neill, so hopefully that'll help me get stuck in. Any other recommendations?
    I'm 3/4 through a science degree, so I'll probably just use Khanacademy to brush up on concepts from first year.

any chance the Des O'Neil notes could be kindly passed on to a fellow science student?:confused::o
    I have all the notes you need. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PyramidUp

Hi guys,

If anyone would like to meet up to study in Dublin then please drop me a line. I'm coming from a non-science background (programmer) but I am trying to get through the material as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gamsat

Hi,

Have complete gradmed material for sale.

PM if interested.

Thanks

Gillibean wrote: »
    Where to start???
    I have a lot of notes for sale. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Powerpuff92

Hi there

I am sitting the March 2017 exam and I am wondering if there anyone out there who would be interested in setting up a study group to meet a number of times before the exam in the Limerick area?

:)

• Advertisement

Hi there

I am sitting the March 2017 exam and I am wondering if there anyone out there who would be interested in setting up a study group to meet a number of times before the exam in the Limerick area?

:)
    I have notes for sale if you want some. They are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

Good luck on the study guys :) Just to go back to what people were discussing in the start of this thread, I think people often over emphasize the tough conditions and pay when you qualify.

For example, my intern salary in total was 43,000 gross. Not amazing and down on what it used to be but not minimum wage either. I had some jobs with long hours but many jobs who were close to 9-5 when not on call. I'm also far from the exception, the majority of hospitals are paying overtime at this stage.

Despite this, I myself have a large GEM loan so I know the pain of repayments. People need to think long and hard about entering such a contract but I don't regret it. If you guys have any questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 teaparty

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of doing the Gold Standard prep course tomorrow in Dublin. It'll be my 2nd time sitting the GAMSAT, and just wondering if the course will be beneficial? Has anyone done it or something similar before? Or even heard if it was good?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

edel.happy wrote: »
    I have notes for sale if you want some. They are very reasonable.

Can you stop derailing the threads with waffle and stick to pimping notes in the sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

teaparty wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of doing the Gold Standard prep course tomorrow in Dublin. It'll be my 2nd time sitting the GAMSAT, and just wondering if the course will be beneficial? Has anyone done it or something similar before? Or even heard if it was good?

Thanks!

Hey, just wondering how you found it. I intended on going but couldn't make it up in the end unfortunately. was it any good?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 may54321

i am in limerick, contact no:0877808397

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Good luck to everyone doing the Gamsat tomorrow, try to relax into it and enjoy it. No matter what happens, it's not the end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eimear_1993

Hope the exam went well for everyone yesterday!
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on second round offers for 2016? I can't seem to find anything online. Does anyone know if the points dropped for any of the courses or what proportion of people with 57* were accepted to UCC? I've heard that someone who accepted UL was offered UCC a few weeks after the course had started and transferred down at that point. Does anyone know have any idea what their score would have been? 57?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nessa859

Who's sitting the September exam? I was hoping to either join or set up a study group. I'm in Kildare but I can travel to and from Dublin easily enough. I wasn't planning on doing much until my exams are over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Nessa859 wrote: »
    Who's sitting the September exam? I was hoping to either join or set up a study group. I'm in Kildare but I can travel to and from Dublin easily enough. I wasn't planning on doing much until my exams are over though.

I would definitely be interested.. still a bit clueless though and really need to start getting my **** together!! Also based in Kildare but could commute to Dublin 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nessa859

e1994 wrote: »
    I would definitely be interested.. still a bit clueless though and really need to start getting my **** together!! Also based in Kildare but could commute to Dublin 😊

I can't really do much until my exams are over, since I won't be sitting the thing at all if I don't get a 2.1. I'm downloading what's available from my first year lectures on blackboard (I'm a science student), but I don't know how useful any of it is. I don't know where to start, especially regarding textbooks. That Gold Standard one is about €150, which I just can't afford on top of the GAMSAT.

Do you want to see about starting a facebook group or something? There might be more people in Kildare who'd be willing to set up such a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Yeah of course, I understand. I'm not really a science background so need to start studying asap! Yeah that sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coolbeanz93

Hey guys, got a 59 on my first go there. Pretty delighted to say the least. Im hoping to go to limerick, am I pretty certain to get in or am I getting ahead of myself? How likely are the scores gonna go up by 4 or 5? Hope yer all delighted with your results!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sin131

Hey, congrats on your result! I got 63 on my first go which is 69th percentile this year but was around 90th percentile in 2016, I'm half worried that there might be a bit of an increase this year? But then again, some will be applying with scores from 2016 so maybe it won't increase too much? I think the percentiles are based on everyone who took the exam, so hopefully there shouldn't be too much of a jump in Irish scores!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 trickski

Sin131 wrote: »
    Hey, congrats on your result! I got 63 on my first go which is 69th percentile this year but was around 90th percentile in 2016, I'm half worried that there might be a bit of an increase this year? But then again, some will be applying with scores from 2016 so maybe it won't increase too much? I think the percentiles are based on everyone who took the exam, so hopefully there shouldn't be too much of a jump in Irish scores!
    Congrats on your 63 points! I'm more than half worried that there may be an increase this year. I got 61 points on the September Gamsat (~80th percentile) and really want to go to UCD. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sin131

trickski wrote: »
    Congrats on your 63 points! I'm more than half worried that there may be an increase this year. I got 61 points on the September Gamsat (~80th percentile) and really want to go to UCD. :/

Yeah it seems like a big enough difference in the percentiles alright. UCC is my first choice so I'm hoping I should be ok, I can't see the points jumping more than like 2 though, but I suppose it all depends on whose applying where etc. Fingers crossed anyway and best of luck with UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PyramidUp

Sin131 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems like a big enough difference in the percentiles alright. UCC is my first choice so I'm hoping I should be ok, I can't see the points jumping more than like 2 though, but I suppose it all depends on whose applying where etc. Fingers crossed anyway and best of luck with UCD!

Congrats one and all!

I'm not one for wishing my life away but if we could fast forward to the offers in August I wouldn't be completely against it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mollylynch10

I woke up to a 59 as well, which would have been a definite entry to UL last year.. wondering will massive change in percentile curve cause the cut off to go up a whole 5 points though? Seems like a big jump in one year does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

This is my first time sitting and I got 59 too. I pretty much went in blind with no research of the previous scores. Where are people seeing these percentile curves from previous years? Can't find any through acer, could someone post up a link to those years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoinsuller

Can somebody post the 2017 results curve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

Major, and very strange shift in the norm which just drives us straight into the unknown. There has only ever been an increase of 2 points on two occasions before. 3 has never happened. The curve change may also not be fully representative of Ireland in this case. It's possible that the ozzies smashed it this year as they require serious scores. I would personally estimate an increase of 1 point per University, but having said this read my first sentence again. Fingers crossed for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coolbeanz93

Do you know what the curve shift was when it went up by 2? I feel like they could go up by a few because the change is pretty significant. I believe UL are increasing their numbers of Irish this year, so that may negate the shift in the curve a bit. Also people using their scores from last year may lessen the jump a bit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

Those curves can be googled. RCSI jumped 2 in 2015 and I think Ucc jumped 2 last year. Where did you hear that UL were accepting more Irish Students next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

conal11 wrote: »
    Those curves can be googled. RCSI jumped 2 in 2015 and I think Ucc jumped 2 last year. Where did you hear that UL were accepting more Irish Students next year?

Probably not as resourceful as folk here as I'm still not really finding them. Many of the curves I've seen correspond to the Australian results and so can't be compared. The only Irish one I've seen comes from 2011. I've tried plugging in the direct link URLs to acer from previous boards posts but it looks like they've copped on as it's become a forbidden domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LorcanOB

Hi guys! I'm praying a large jump doesn't come. Here is my correspodance with GAMSAT:

"The percentile ranks are an indication for candidates to show how they performed against the cohort that sat the same test. The percentile curves vary with each cohort. The universities do not consider percentile ranks but the section and overall scores. These are scaled by ACER to be directly comparable. Please note this is the first time that the GAMSAT percentile curve for March 2017 includes all candidates worldwide. In previous years the percentile rank for GAMSAT Ireland included only candidates that had registered candidates for GAMSAT Ireland (as GAMSAT Australia was a separate registration). Please contact the universities/CAO about the cut-off scores as we are not involved in the selection process."

It seems that the Australian cohort way outperformed us and shifted the curves, so hopefully a large jump isn't imminent.

Advertisement