Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Keeper League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I was GM last season, league is reactivated.

However I'm in mixed minds about the best solution going forward. With a good few leaving I think starting afresh might be an idea worth considering.

We'll have to get a few new names on board and I think it's always going to be difficult to get commitment in a keeper league from new entrants taking on teams that have been around for a while and managed by different players.

Couldn't we just go on this year with however many players we have left? Say there are twelve back from last year, that seems like a good number to me for a keeper league. We already have sixteen team leagues in the main Boards leagues, why not go on with a reduced number?

And if teams are not continuing, we throw back all their players into the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

fisgon wrote: »
    Couldn't we just go on this year with however many players we have left? Say there are twelve back from last year, that seems like a good number to me for a keeper league. We already have sixteen team leagues in the main Boards leagues, why not go on with a reduced number?

And if teams are not continuing, we throw back all their players into the pot.

What happens their players? Back into the player pool?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Raoul wrote: »
    What happens their players? Back into the player pool?

Yeah back into the player pool I'd imagine. Other difficulty is that future picks were traded under a 16 man system. See below. I'm sure the system would sort this out itself though.

http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/485946/draftpicks

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

But if you throw 4 teams back into the player pool, it dilutes the quality of peoples keepers. A guy who is great value as a 4th round keeper in a 16 team is very different to a 4th round keeper in a 12 team, no?

gerryfed wrote: »
    But if you throw 4 teams back into the player pool, it dilutes the quality of peoples keepers. A guy who is great value as a 4th round keeper in a 16 team is very different to a 4th round keeper in a 12 team, no?

But nobody has chosen keepers yet. If a player is not a good value keeper, then don't keep him. You are not required to keep 4 players, it is just an option.

And, yes, as I said above, if owners are dropping out we throw their players back into the pool. It will mean that the first and second rounds will have a lot of decent players in the draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd be for trying to keep it as a 16-teamer if at all possible.

As regards the trading of picks. I've no problem with what happened last year, all above board and within the rules. To balance it out in future years you could either only have picks from say, round 8 onwards as tradeable, or alternatively, you can only trade picks for rounds later than the week you are in. So in week 7, you can trade picks 7-15 only, week 8 you can trade picks 8-15 only.

I thought you were quitting?:confused:

I thought you were quitting?:confused:

Hmmm I think what I said was I would be 'discouraged from rejoining' and then I agreed with someone's reason for quitting.

But no worries ;) too many moving parts at this stage with the talks of going from 16 to 12 too on top of the picks situation. Good luck with the season gents

Hmmm I think what I said was I would be 'discouraged from rejoining' and then I agreed with someone's reason for quitting.

But no worries ;) too many moving parts at this stage with the talks of going from 16 to 12 too on top of the picks situation. Good luck with the season gents

Well...you can see why I thought you were leaving ha. If you were staying there wouldn't be so many moving parts as the move to 12 is only being talked about due to people leaving! :)

What's the story with this league this year? Is it actually happening? We would need to decide on a few things - number in league, draft date - pretty soon if so......

• Advertisement

What's the story with this league this year? Is it actually happening? We would need to decide on a few things - number in league, draft date - pretty soon if so......

I've no idea tbh. It's either gonna be go with a smaller league or recruit new players for the lads who are out.

We'll have to decide by Sunday at the latest to allow time to recruit new players if necessary and get them set up.

Not gonna start a poll for this, let's just post our vote on the thread? Weekend seems a reasonable amount of time to respond?

My preference would be to recruit new players and keep it as a 16 team league.

I've no idea tbh. It's either gonna be go with a smaller league or recruit new players for the lads who are out.

We'll have to decide by Sunday at the latest to allow time to recruit new players if necessary and get them set up.

Not gonna start a poll for this, let's just post our vote on the thread? Weekend seems a reasonable amount of time to respond?

My preference would be to recruit new players and keep it as a 16 team league.

How many do we have back?

Boards name
    Bizzy C IN
    Raoul IN
    Billr67 IN
    gerryfed UNDECIDED?
    Limpar OUT
    Coeus IN
    Figson IN
    TaosHun IN
    malistheman IN
    boccy23 IN
    Mr. Guappa IN
    masked man IN
    spongey1975 OUT
    eagle eye OUT
    onecoolcookie INACTIVE - BOOTED

I'm missing one name from that list lads, can't figure out who it is at all, appear to have lost the tracker I had last year for this. It's not one of the people who joined last year.

So to summarise the above

10 - Definitely back
    3 -definitely out
    1 Unknown (Gerryfed)
    1 booted for being inactive (onecoolcookie - see previous posts during the season)
    1 poster to be identified - let me know if I've left you out!

So we are looking for a minimum of 4 new players and potentially 6.

10 - Definitely back
    3 -definitely out
    1 Unknown (Gerryfed)
    1 booted for being inactive (onecoolcookie - see previous posts during the season)

I'm out this year lads, sorry. Best of luck for the season :)

10 - Definitely back
    3  -definitely out
    1 Unknown (Gerryfed)

I would say why not go ahead with a ten or twelve team league, if that is all we have? You could put a message on the main thread asking for new people, I got a lot for the PPR league that way very quickly. But if we only have 10, 12 or 14, why not go on with that number? There is no reason it has to be 16.

I would say why not go ahead with a ten or twelve team league, if that is all we have? You could put a message on the main thread asking for new people, I got a lot for the PPR league that way very quickly. But if we only have 10, 12 or 14, why not go on with that number? There is no reason it has to be 16.

Yeah definitely an option. Could go with 12 person league.

I would prefer if we could get the extra players back so that we don't have to mess about with the keepers. But whatever happens I would prefer the league to go ahead.

I would prefer if we could get the extra players back so that we don't have to mess about with the keepers. But whatever happens I would prefer the league to go ahead.

Gonna look for new players now. Posting in main thread. Poll will go up tomorrow for the draft.

• Advertisement

Gonna look for new players now. Posting in main thread. Poll will go up tomorrow for the draft.

No interest received thus far. Will bump up again.

Keeper league draft poll here

We're getting no response from the forum for rutherfordium's players so will have to proceed with 10. The poll for the draft is above. Leaving it open till Wednesday night. Need more engagement on the thread here, it's quite poor only 3/4 players making an effort with the league by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

There is a huge difference now if it is a 10 team league.

I do think that the messing around in recent years with the keeper fiasco and then the trading of picks has hurt the league.

I am in at the moment but we need to establish quickly what we do with the rules, i.e. are we agreeing on a number of keepers and is there is a mandatory number. Will we have a repeat of the shenanigans that went on before with where the keepers were allocated. What happens now to the picks which were traded? A fourth round pick in a 10 team (picks 31-40) is very different to a 16 team (49-64).

boccy23 wrote: »
    There is a huge difference now if it is a 10 team league.

I do think that the messing around in recent years with the keeper fiasco and then the trading of picks has hurt the league.

I am in at the moment but we need to establish quickly what we do with the rules, i.e. are we agreeing on a number of keepers and is there is a mandatory number. Will we have a repeat of the shenanigans that went on before with where the keepers were allocated. What happens now to the picks which were traded? A fourth round pick in a 10 team (picks 31-40) is very different to a 16 team (49-64).
    What annoys me is that one of the guys that traded picks has left the league. So I don't even get those picks.

Should we just start a new league? There are going to be a whole load of new players in the first couple of rounds available.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,615 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There shouldn't be any draft pick trades in a keeper league. I had a big issue with this.

The league was set up wrong in the first place anyways. You should be able to keep a lot more than four players which would make it a hell of a lot more interesting.

The idea of a keeper league is similar to dynasty in that it's about building up a powerful team through the draft over time.

I'm all for staying in if we are starting over.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭billr67

Sounds good to me too, I doubt I'd keep anyone from my current squad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

I'd love in on the keeper league if it's starting fresh?

Tbh, I think at this stage starting over would be the best thing, less messy. There have been a lot of changes.

I have no strong opinions about the rules, all options have pluses and minuses. If EE stays we may have enough for a 12 team at this stage?

Yeah I reckon we might as well just start new tbh, we would be changing around a lot just for the sake of keeping 4 players for a few teams.

Eagle Eye, Wong are in and GerryFed has also expressed an interest via pm at returning again if starting fresh. We'd need another player to get back to even numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm in whatever the set-up is, but we really need to nail down the settings now.
    - Trading of draft picks. I liked this element but it seems the consensus is to get rid?
    - Number of keepers. I'd be for increasing this from 4, to maybe 8?
    - Whatever the number of keepers, it is a mandatory figure, not a maximum.
    - Completely fresh start.
    - Any other matters of contention?

Advertisement