Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI - Questions and concerns in GV and the job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blue3790

Hi Probie!
    Was having a read there and this is all very useful stuff!  I'm hoping to apply (2nd attempt) later this year, if all goes to plan and another recruitment process begins.. here's my questions:
    1) How do you find the security side of the job off duty? Do your close friends etc know what you do? Would you ever find yourself on edge?? I'm not sure this would put me off, because its just part of what you sign up for but to what extent does it affect your life out of work?
    2) Roughly how many days off do you have a week? And are all shifts 12 hours long?
    3) If you were to go through Garnerville again would you recommend living up there or not after the compulsory period?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

blue3790 wrote: »
    Hi Probie!
    Was having a read there and this is all very useful stuff!  I'm hoping to apply (2nd attempt) later this year, if all goes to plan and another recruitment process begins.. here's my questions:
    1) How do you find the security side of the job off duty? Do your close friends etc know what you do? Would you ever find yourself on edge?? I'm not sure this would put me off, because its just part of what you sign up for but to what extent does it affect your life out of work?
    2) Roughly how many days off do you have a week? And are all shifts 12 hours long?
    3) If you were to go through Garnerville again would you recommend living up there or not after the compulsory period?
    Thanks!
    Hi Blue!
    Security off the job should always be on your mind. Its when you stop worrying about it that you become complacent and something is more likely to happen. Does it mean you go everywhere looking over your shoulder, or second guessing every dodgey looking person? No, but it does mean that you have to be smart about who you talk to, what you disclose and obviously checking your vehicle. I told a very select few people i knew i could trust that i had joined the police, nowadays nearly everyone i used to work with knows because they've all seen me on duty. Its just the way it goes. Tell as few people as you have to, and have a good cover story for small talk and you'll be grand.
    Days off will depend on your district and how much overtime you end up doing. In June i was touching nearly 90 hours of overtime (which is low compared to last year), which mean i was pretty much doing 6 days on, 1 day off. Not all shifts are 12 hours, they can range from 8 hours to 12+ depending on where you're stationed.
    If i were to get to sample the fine life of GV again i would certainly live in for the compulsory period. After that it really depends how far away you live. I was maybe a half hour drive away so it really wasnt too bad. It just depends if you can focus at home with all the distractions. I never left until my fitness and work was completed, that way when i got home i could unwind!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Probie_1kenobi

blue3790 wrote: »
    Hi Probie!
    Thanks!

Hiya mate, I realise Majorgreen has answered this but I'll give you my view also!

Thank you chum! I just try to help others out on here as people did for me before I got the call! I think there's another campaign talked about starting later this year, hopefully there will be as you can't have too many peelers!

1. You have to take your personal security seriously that's for sure as you don't know what could happen in this country. All my good friends know mainly because they knew I always wanted to be in the police and now I am. I've never seen any of my friends new or old while on duty and only seen 2 people max from my hometown when in uniform and I'm pretty sure both didn't recognise me. I would never find myself on edge as such no and wouldn't necessarily be looking over my shoulder but I would be one to carry my firearm off duty from time to time depending where I go and always have it on me leaving or entering the police estate. I would just make sure you don't work in the area you're from!!

2. You have a set rota and the shifts are varied to cover all 24hrs of the day as you can imagine, early, late, late plus and nights. 12 hour shifts don't typically happen anymore unless on overtime. I am a sucker for overtime as the wage as a probabtioner isn't great to me with bills to pay etc so doing an average of 75-100 hours in a month means I don't get that many days off maybe one a week one of thirst weeks maybe 2 depending. Depends on how much overtime you're booked in for and it does come and go.

3. I liked Garnerville, many didn't. I did live in for the most part and it definitely was best to get all your work and exercise done and to study too. As far as I'm aware there is no compulsory living in period anymore.

Oh btw, uppa peelers!! Lol

Pumba91 wrote: »
    Just a random question as it's that time of year, I used to be in the orange, joined when I was quite young. Do you have to declare if you are no longer in it? Or only if you are currently a member?

You declare it on the day you graduate and attest as a Constable. There's plenty of folk in the black and the orange so I wouldn't worry, just be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pumba91

Are you allowed to select the area you live in as an option?

How many hours is a shift typically?

Is there usually a lot of overtime?

• Advertisement

Pumba91 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to select the area you live in as an option?

How many hours is a shift typically?

Is there usually a lot of overtime?

You could put it down but I wouldn't recommend it. You could end up having someone rock up to your house just like you did to them when investigating something or worse. Plus certain elements might try and break in to get your gun as they're well sought after.

Shifts vary chum. 8,9,10 hours on earlies. 9,10,11 hours on late plus and 10 hours on nights roughly.

Overtime depends on your district. Go to Belfast and you'll be swimming in money like Scrooge mcduck lol. Only joking, good amount of overtime there for the taking in the city. Go to the country and you'll more than likely have next to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Sorry for such a morbid question but how strict are you all with checking under the car?

Are you issued with anything that helps check? Do you only check every morning or say if you go to the gym regularly does it ever cross your mind to check under it then? What about the dark mornings when its lashing with rain etc...

Would love to hear some thoughts, live in an area where there has thankfully been a few failed attempts at under car bombs in recent years and would love something to put my mind at ease as tbh it is something I think about quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sydnor87

Sorry for such a morbid question but how strict are you all with checking under the car?

Are you issued with anything that helps check? Do you only check every morning or say if you go to the gym regularly does it ever cross your mind to check under it then? What about the dark mornings when its lashing with rain etc...

Would love to hear some thoughts, live in an area where there has thankfully been a few failed attempts at under car bombs in recent years and would love something to put my mind at ease as tbh it is something I think about quite often.
    I'm a prison officer and I check my car every morning I use it. I'm fortunate that I live in quite a quiet street and am usually up for work earlier than a lot of people so it's easy enough to give it a quick scan without drawing too much attention.
    We were given a prayer mat and extendable mirror. I'm assuming the police will issue you with something similar. I'd recommend getting an extendable torch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Make sure you know what the underside of your car looks like as well in order to spot anything that's not meant to be there. Also check your wheel arches.

We aren't issued with anything although you can buy a mirror if you wish. Personally I check my car every single time I get into it if it hasn't been in my full view since the last check. I'm not taking any risks and neither should anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 blue3790

Cheers fellas (or girls lol), both answers very useful and much appreciated ðŸ‘ðŸ».

• Registered Users Posts: 23 scuba lad

In regards to shifts.

How many Sat/Sun would you get off over a 8 week period?

Dont want exact shift patterns etc. Just an idea of what family time i would have.

Thanks in advance anyone!

scuba lad wrote: »
    In regards to shifts.

How many Sat/Sun would you get off over a 8 week period?

Dont want exact shift patterns etc. Just an idea of what family time i would have.

Thanks in advance anyone!
    not many! Out of about 5/6 weeks you should have two weekends off but i couldnt honestly tell you the last time i had mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 scuba lad

Really!!...something to take into consideration before commiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Are you issued with anything that helps check?

B&M do a telescopic LED inspection mirror for £2.99. Very small and subtle.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/rolson-2-led-telescopic-inspection-mirror-307040

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

That actually looks fantastic for the price - thanks Homer01.

I'm sure this will be answered in the information day but sure no harm in asking on here, do you start checking as soon as you start in GV or when you're passed out and a proper copper so to speak?

That actually looks fantastic for the price - thanks Homer01.

I'm sure this will be answered in the information day but sure no harm in asking on here, do you start checking as soon as you start in GV or when you're passed out and a proper copper so to speak?

You'll want to start immediately. You're as much of a target as any serving police officer and you'll need to be aware of your surroundings when leaving Garnerville

Vary routes to and from GV etc

Vary arrival and departure times, i.e. stay to study/use gym or come early use gym etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pandabear97

Hi guys. Bit of a different request but I'm fond of the odd night out and was just wondering if it's discouraged ect. if you are a serving officer? Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi guys. Bit of a different request but I'm fond of the odd night out and was just wondering if it's discouraged ect. if you are a serving officer? Cheers
    Not in the slightest. I see more peelers on the town than i do civvies. Just dont be getting yourself into trouble and getting scooped. Its awkward in front of the custody sergeants....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pandabear97

Thanks that 's good to hear. Not really one for trouble on nights out but it's the easiest way to get some action while single...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Social media:
    How many other people need to remove their name from the online world! Did a google search. You can find me on Facebook (fully private tho)
    YouTube channels
    SoundCloud
    Instagram
    Linked in
    And a few other things.

If successful I am thinking of wiping the whole lot. All of it’s private at the minute but you can still see my name. Anyone having similar thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

takodah wrote: »
    Social media:
    How many other people need to remove their name from the online world! Did a google search. You can find me on Facebook (fully private tho)
    YouTube channels
    SoundCloud
    Instagram
    Linked in
    And a few other things.

If successful I am thinking of wiping the whole lot. All of it’s private at the minute but you can still see my name. Anyone having similar thoughts ?

Change your name :D

I've seen quite a few friends do it; either in police or ambulance service.

Keep everything private and you should be good.

Social media:
    YouTube channels
    SoundCloud
    Instagram
    Linked in
    And a few other things.

If you change your name make a dummy account, no real photos, put lives in england or someplace etc. Then forget about it. Use a dummy email to set it up then forget about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Homer01 wrote: »
    Social media:
    YouTube channels
    SoundCloud
    Instagram
    Linked in
    And a few other things.

Change your name :D

I've seen quite a few friends do it; either in police or ambulance service.

Keep everything private and you should be good.

I remember being on facebook thinking "who is that" when a friend changed their name lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41149550

As we have been talking about social media, I figured this article from today was quite relevant.

It doesn't say why exactly the officer was arrested but probably acts as a good reminder for us to be extremely careful about the things we post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41149550

As we have been talking about social media, I figured this article from today was quite relevant.

It doesn't say why exactly the officer was arrested but probably acts as a good reminder for us to be extremely careful about the things we post.

The whole thing was blown out of proportion really

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Timetravel wrote: »

Probably, although it doesn't really say what happened in that article.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Timetravel wrote: »

ill pm you

Advertisement