Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI - Questions and concerns in GV and the job

Options
  • 06-06-2017 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys! I was on here a while back and found it really helpful when I was going through the application process. I've been through GV and have been out in the big bad world for a good while now so thought I would come back on and try and return the favour to anyone out there by answering any questions or concern about, Garnerville, the real world or the application process itself. Fire away and I'll get back to you when I can!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭jordansp21

Probie I sent you a question on private message cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pumba91

Just a few questions of the top of my head,

1) what are shift patterns like?

2) how likely are you to get a district you apply for and how many choices go you get?

3) is it worth the wait and the frustration of the application process?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Probie_1kenobi

It depends if you end up somewhere like Belfast, Londonderry/Derry or the country. I'll not give the exact times away for security reasons but you'll do a set of earlies, lates, get home safe (which is fist half of the night response duties followed by going around the pubs/clubs etc) and a set of night shifts. If you're sent somewhere really busy like Belfast or Londonderry/Derry then you'll get most of your days off and very little overtime. I find the earlies are the worst because I struggle to get to sleep and then to get up when the alarm goes off!

Well, they've changed things up now and you get you district as soon as you start which is a good thing because you have a bit idea of an idea of how far you'll have to travel. Every squad is different mate, where do you want to go to, which station?
    Absolutely yes!!! It took me more than a few attempts shall we say to get this job and sticking with it and doing the process every time is 100% worth it. I genuinely love the job and I bet you will too! Stick at it! I think I was in the 1405 campaign and it was but on hold for 9 months due to budget cuts, so it took nearly 2 years from first applying to actually starting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

Hi Probie!

Love the username. First time poster here, long-time lurker :)

I hope to apply for the next intake and just wondered how the reality of being an officer differed from your expectations? What's the best part of your job and the worst part that you struggle with?

What was the most challenging part of the application process for you? What are your colleagues like?

I've heard some people have tutors for the application process and wondered how necessary that might be...

I've applied to study social work but also want to apply to the police as I feel more drawn to it. I'm quite a gentle person so not sure if being a police officer would suit my nature but still eager to apply..

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread and for your generosity of spirit :)

Sophie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

Hi Sophie

I wouldn't worry about being a 'soft' person. I am a serving Officer across the water and it's not all about going to situations with all guns blazing. You will have skills and qualities that you can bring to the career and your colleagues will thank you for having them! All the very best with applying this year. I might see you at a recruitment stage :-)

Sorry for weighing into your discussion probie!

• Advertisement

No dramas lol. What force are you currently with? I think it's a joke that you can't transfer over and do a shortened course.

I'm with the big bad Met, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ZXC53

Hi guys, I'll be applying to the next campaign whilst still in college (if as stated on the website, recruitment opens in autum) and I'm perfectly aware this will probably go against me due to the lack of experience so I don't stand much chance but I want to apply anyway for the same reason as all of yous - it's the dream job - I'm about 5ft 8 and skinny despite best efforts to bulk out but, I'm determined and feel like my part time job at my local McDonalds in a rough area has given me scenarios to talk about in an application. I do have close relatives in the service but a second opinion would be great, is it worth getting some more experience before jumping straight in to the job and will my age, height and build go against me in any stages of the recruitment process - feel like I won't be taken seriously never mind on the streets of Belfast!! The length of the process would go in my favour here giving me time to work on these things but any advice would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

ZXC53 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'll be applying to the next campaign whilst still in college (if as stated on the website, recruitment opens in autum) and I'm perfectly aware this will probably go against me due to the lack of experience so I don't stand much chance but I want to apply anyway for the same reason as all of yous - it's the dream job - I'm about 5ft 8 and skinny despite best efforts to bulk out but, I'm determined and feel like my part time job at my local McDonalds in a rough area has given me scenarios to talk about in an application. I do have close relatives in the service but a second opinion would be great, is it worth getting some more experience before jumping straight in to the job and will my age, height and build go against me in any stages of the recruitment process - feel like I won't be taken seriously never mind on the streets of Belfast!! The length of the process would go in my favour here giving me time to work on these things but any advice would be great.

Don't let any of that put you off! Some people won't get in first time for various reasons, but use it learn and develop from. There will always be something that someone will try to use against you, be it age, height, build, hell, I'm 25 and I'm already going grey. At the end of the day you're the one person someone will want to insult and they'll use whatever they can, so just learn to joke about it and you'll be grand

I'm with the big bad Met, mate.
    Nice one mate, plenty of good experience then! You'll walk through Garnerville and pick up where you left off when you get out on the ground.

• Advertisement

ZXC53 wrote: »
    You don't need any experience for this job and 99% of people haven't been in a police service prior to joining so don't let that put you off. Also there was a whole different age range of folk in GV when I was there, people from 18 to about 52. Don't worry about height, there was few girls smaller than 5ft and one fella not far off it not that long ago either and thyre doing OK. The skinniest man you have ever seen in your life also made it out not that long ago if I remember tight too so don't be put off. The PTI's can give you advice on how to bulk up and chances are you while with the training you'll do there. You're not judged on your appearance, only your scores in the initial test and the AC!

Thank you Probie! Lots of useful stuff there :)

Just wondering how your work/life balance is? Do you get much down time? What's the most stressful part of the job? I have no obvious commitments at the moment like partner, kids, etc. but something I would like possibly down the line so wonder how much of your time is spent at work? I know it's definitely not a typical 9-5 job :)

What kind of skills did your training in GV teach you? How long were you with a more experienced officer on the beat?

At the minute I think my fitness would be the most challenging aspect of the application process but it's something I'm trying to work on.

Do you know are there are paths that being an officer can lead to down the line? I would like to be a detective down the line but wonder is there an opportunity to work with children or other vulnerable groups of society?

Banged to Rights - thank you! I Appreciate your input, I'm sure you have great experience that will help you lots in your application. Are you from here originally?

Thanks again :)
    Sophie

I've pm'ed you Koph

Thanks Majgreen, just replied. :)

My balance is quite good although I do like to work and get overtime as well. You can get rid of OT easily enough if you don't want it too. I find getting enquiries down in a shift while responding to calls trying to get statements of people or notebook interviews done as people are busy and so are you. I would sometimes call into my local station to catch up on emails and do a few short tasks or work on my PDP on my days off to stay on top of things as I like to do it but you don't have to or necessarily need to either.
    You'll learn basic policing skills and your powers. The better your knowledge of what you can and can do, the better the peeler you'll be. I found I learnt a lot in GV but I'm still learning everyday even how to do basic forms or tasks on the computer systems but that being said 10 years in and you'll still not know everything. You should have whats called a probationary support officer (PSO) for about 10 weeks with you, someone who has a decent bit of experience and who'll keep you right. Everyone will help you so no need to worry about that. Unfortunately we dont really do beat patrol on foot, in vehicles 99.9 percent of the time.
    I suggest you work on weights, sprints, sit ups, push ups, squats etc as you'll be doing plenty of these throughout GV. It's mainly all crossfit based. Get a PT if you can or if you're worried. There'll always be people fitter than you and people not as fit also, just put the effort in and you'll be grand.
    There are so many different departments and roles you can join down the line including being a trainee investigator. These roles are advertised and you can go for them when you're signed out of probabtion after 2 years. Yeah, you have the Youth Diversion officer role who deals with children and offences committed by them etc and other units too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hi Probie

Excellent details you have given so far, my big worry is my age, I left school in the last millenium :-o. I am afraid of falling behind all the young pups in the fitness and learning. Do you know how the older ones coped? Are the tutors given time to deal with the different needs of students?

Thank you, no worries at all. I found it really helpful on here so thought I'd try and help other folk out as best I can. Squads usually have a good mix of ages from 18 right though to people in their late 40s etc so don't worry. You can always teach an old dog new tricks and the fitness is hard regardless of age or capability, so just go in as fit as you can before you start to make it a bit easier and put the work into the PT sessions. By tutors do you mean trainers in GV? If so if you have any questions and can always aske them in class or after. You can also go to the trainers hut and ask them for help if needed.

Banged to Rights - thank you! I Appreciate your input, I'm sure you have great experience that will help you lots in your application. Are you from here originally?

Yeah I am from Northern Ireland originally. Made the jump across the water a few years ago, to start my Policing Career. I am ready now to move home now. Yeah I could maybe write a good application, but it is those damm aptitude tests and the assessment centre which could be my downfall, haha. However I am ready to give it a go and submit my application in September and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

Probie_1 just read over your posts they are a great insight bud thanks again! I'm currently in the waiting room having just missed out on the Sept intake offer so hope I'm in the one after that!

No worries chum. Any questions just fire away.

Bangedtorights, it's only like a 100 or so word on why you want to apply on the application and the rest is just standard details so don't worry about that. Try and google Deloitte style aptitude tests and have a crack to see how you get on. The AC is just about hitting the right boxes. Remember this for your AC.

ILEAPS

I - introduce yourself and explain why you're role
    L - listen to the persons complaint or problem
    E - empathise with them and their problem, sorry to hear that etc
    A - Ask questions, 5WH, who what when where why how.
    P - paraphrase everything that's been said to check your understanding
    S - tel the person what you're going I do and how your going to sort the problem/investigation lines

I was told that before my AC and if you follow that you'll not go far wrong. Works with everything, basic customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Hi Probie

Excellent details you have given so far, my big worry is my age, I left school in the last millenium :-o. I am afraid of falling behind all the young pups in the fitness and learning. Do you know how the older ones coped? Are the tutors given time to deal with the different needs of students?
    Gooner!

Great to see your still keen. Let's just say I hadn't sat an exam in over 20 years when I entered GV and I managed it ok. The pt staff are great and will give you loads of help if you ask.

Majgreen, 25? Really? Jesus is watching.

That ILEAPS is really useful, thanks Probie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Been dying to know this for ages and it obviously only applies to the serving officers on here...

But have you yourself or ever heard of any officers performing an arrest off duty or even identified yourself as a police officer in a situation were it may have been warranted.

Just thinking if you seen someone knicking something in tesco :D for example and store security hasn't spotted it do you turn a blind eye or step in...surely it's the latter?

There are plenty of officers who do call in when off duty, however would rarely identify themselves as an officer off duty. It depends on whats happening, if theres a life at stake then obviously you naturally step in and help.

Just a random question as it's that time of year, I used to be in the orange, joined when I was quite young. Do you have to declare if you are no longer in it? Or only if you are currently a member?

I would still declare in your vetting that you used to be a part of it - transparency is key.

They don't ask in vetting. I read somewhere that they ask about notifiable memberships though I think during training so just wondering if it's are a member or have you ever been one

Yeah, they do ask. I cant remember when exactly, but declare it at your first opportunity. Doubt it will cause any issues but best to be up front about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

How strict are they reference tattoos and uniform ref. Hot weather?

• Advertisement

Entirely depends on your supervisors. Some don't mind tattoos on show, some have a zero tolerance policy and you'll be wearing long sleeves all year round

Advertisement