Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard thread 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Team at the moment is
    Foster Elliot
    Taa Danilo Stephens cresswell smith
    Kdb mane Ramsey iwobi and Walters
    Jesus Kane gabbi

Option A
    Kdb and Walters out for mhki and richarlison

Option b
    Wildcard it and have
    Foster Elliot
    Alonso jones Robertson Schindler mbemba
    Mane Antonio Mkhi richarlison rlc
    Kane Jesus Hernandez

Thoughts please

Seems like you may be carrying over a FT?
    If so I would go Option A and wouldn't be afraid to take it to a -4 or -8 if really necessary (it doesn't look like it is).

With a -8 you would be very close to your WC team. I wouldn't be throwing Robertson into a team for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

I'd def go for option A and slog it out because that WC will be worth a lot more once the window has closed and players are back from international duty. Just ride it out man.

Could be worth more... it really depends on current team vs wildcard team.

Plenty of people can knee-jerk and use the wildcard too early, god knows selling Alonso has definitely played a part in my decision! That being said, I do think people can put too much value on the wildcard imo, taking -8 and -12 point hits rather than activating it.

The international break could be carnage, and could really hurt people like myself that activated the WC early. Does anyone have any stats on previous years international breaks? Has there ever been injuries to 3+ high owned players?

Correct. I should have said could. I'm dying to WC myself but no chance I'm doing it before international break. The window is less of a concern.

Correct. I should have said could. I'm dying to WC myself but no chance I'm doing it before international break. The window is less of a concern.

Yep, the decision to wildcard this week should have been taken on Sun night, latest Monday.

Wildcarding this early will always have risks attached, however it would take a large number of injuries over the Int break to specific players to be forced to take the -8 or -12 point hits people are currently discussing. I would be more concerned about the likes of Sanchez/Hazard etc coming back, or the decision to go without Lukaku, who will often be given the captaincy by the masses.

It will be interesting to see what % of the top managers use their Wildcard this week and next. Is there any site or twitter account that tracks this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,164 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

PVA wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what % of the top managers use their Wildcard this week and next. Is there any site or twitter account that tracks this?

fpldiscovery.wordpress.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

gameweek deadline looming and Richarlison has found his way in to my wildcard team :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

iroced wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I mean there's a diff between the number of rises and the number of £0.2m rises that allow a direct £0.1m profit. And that is a very specific category since it only includes players like Capoue or Mooy this year for example, who started the season great but that you don't consider in your mid-term WC plan and it doesn't include premium players like Lukaku this year for instance.

The year you refer to (2013/14 IIRC) was also special in that FPL removed the weighting factors for price changes. But I remember playing my WC during the first international break (I think it was the first season I played an early team value maker WC - I used to keep it for late DGWs) and gaining at least £0.3m from rising players I did not want to keep at all (I even remember making £0.2m on 1 or 2 players I had kept and transferred the following GWs since they had their 4th rise for deadline day eve)). Don't think that would have been possible the following GW.

Anyway, that strategy is dead and buried now.

Yeah I remember that season (13/14) as it was my first and I was learning the ropes of the whole team value thing. I remember especially as I found this forum during that first IB. I watched and learned and made my tentative first post. And I wildcarded the week after and gaining 0.5 or 0.6 reselling people, and after getting a triple rise out of Ramsey decided to hold him a while just in case i got the 0.4 the week after. The only reason I ended up owning Ramsey for that whole mental run!!

So yeah, I know there was money to be made in the IB back then, but I definitely remember doing better the week after. One of the reasons I started studying this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Current WC team:
    Hennessey Elliot
    Alonso Jones Briots (Hegazi Mbemba)
    Eriksen Mikki Ramsey Mooy (RLC)
    Kane (c) Lukaku Chicarito
    No Liverpool at present, will ride out and switch Eriksen to Mane after City
    Currently considering going Ramsey to Richarlison for this week, which will leave me with 1.6m ITB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Thoughts on the draft below would be very much appreciated folks!

Foster (Elliot)

Bailly Cedric Alonso ( Zanka, Rangel)

Siggy Ramsey, Alli, David Silva ( RLC)

Firmino Lukaku Chicarito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Think I'm just about done:

Forster(Elliott)
    Jones Trippier Hegazy (Mee Mbemba)
    Mané Eriksen Mkyryan Pogba (Carroll)
    Kane Chicharito Firmino

A little bit concerned about defense in terms of fitness/first choice. Hegazy and Mee to rotate. Will check back on team news later.

• Advertisement

My WC team is quite similar manual_man, 7/8 same attackers.

De Gea (Elliott)
    Alonso Bertrand Hegazi (Lowe Mbemba)
    Mané Eriksen Mkyryan Mooy (Carroll)
    Kane Chicharito Firmino

I'm still not 100% sold on Bertrand over Trippier, partly down to this article - https://hotspurhq.com/2017/08/22/tottenham-might-not-thrive-kieran-trippier/. Having defensive coverage from three of United, Chelsea, Spurs, Southampton is a must IMO. I pulled back from Jones due to the lack of attacking quality, I want goals and assists from all of my defenders! Worth the extra £0.5m imo

Mane, Eriksen and Mkyryan are the picks of Liverpool, Spurs and United mids, but there really isn't much in it. Salah, Alli and Pogba could easily come out on top. It's like Liverpool MF roulette X 3 :( You've counteracted this a bit by getting both Pogba and Mkhitaryan in, could work out well. I really want Alonso in my team though, so this means downgrading somewhere. Lukaku and the strong 4th MF had to go... I thought about RLC but feel Carroll is the way forward for £4.5m MF, without Siggy he could come into his own this season.

Exactly the same strikeforce, I think there's solid value in Firmino and Chicharito although I'd be lying if I said a Lukaku/Aguero brace doesn't scare me! In Kane we trust...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

FHFC wrote: »
    So yeah, I know there was money to be made in the IB back then, but I definitely remember doing better the week after. One of the reasons I started studying this whole thing.
    £0.5m-£0.6m thtat's huge! Fair played!
    Then again, that season was very different from the previous ones with the removal of the weighting factors.

I don't have detailed data from the previous seasons and I wasn't playing the team value game in full mode. But because the rises were not going as fast as now (since 13/14) - again weighting factors were applied - I feel the IBs were better thanks to their length. Despite the very quiet middle, the first 3/4 days and last 2/3 rush plus the (very) slow but steady middle were enough to get the sexcond rise and accumulate the £0.1m profits. In normal weeks, it required a lot of transfers to get the second rise. And there were barely 2m players too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

On the lash tonight so gotta lock in the WC now, I regret pulling the midweek trigger but f*ck it.

Please thoughts on this?

De Gea

Yoshida/Hegazi/Britos

Mane/D.Silva/Eriksen/Doucore

Kane/Lukaku/Mounie

Subs : Elliot/Brady/Schindler/Mbemba

On the lash tonight so gotta lock in the WC now, I regret pulling the midweek trigger but f*ck it.

Please thoughts on this?

De Gea

Yoshida/Hegazi/Britos

Kane/Lukaku/Mounie

Saints have signed a new central defender so Stephens or Yoshida could be for the chop. Consensus is it will Yoshida.

So if you defo want a Saint then Cedric would be the safe choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

In a bit of a trouble finishing my team.

Can have either DeBruyne or Mane. Can't have both, no matter what.

Mane is explosive, but going without one City player could be risky, too.
    Have Firmino, so some Liverpool cover in place.

Looking at DeBruyne he wasn't as dangerous as Mane (far from it), but last game with Walker's red card can't really be taken too seriously when assessing his form.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. (Edit: team below)

426183.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Please thoughts on this?

De Gea

Yoshida/Hegazi/Britos

Kane/Lukaku/Mounie

Brady should not be a bencher imo.
    I had Britos last year but I'm not sure he's ahead of Prodl in the order now.

wonski wrote: »

Looking at DeBruyne he wasn't as dangerous as Mane (far from it), but last game with Walker's red card can't really be taken too seriously when assessing his form.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

What are your other attackers. I'm going with no Liverpool or City coverage. Double Utd & Spurs

Kane + Eriksen
    Lukaku + Mikki
    (1.6 ITB)

Plan is to bring Mane in after the City game. Aguero going in after Liverpool for Kane or Lukaku

Chesty08 wrote: »
    What are your other attackers. I'm going with no Liverpool or City coverage. Double Utd & Spurs

Kane + Eriksen
    Lukaku + Mikki
    (1.6 ITB)

Plan is to bring Mane in after the City game. Aguero going in after Liverpool for Kane or Lukaku

Just attached,

Kane Lukaku, Firmino and Chicharito, Eriksen and Pogba in midfield supported by Mooy. Carroll for bench. And Alonso :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Just attached,

Kane, Firmino and Chicharito, Eriksen and Pogba in midfield supported by Mooy. Carroll for bench. And Alonso :D

Short answer for me is Mane. More captainable :p too.
    A return is needed from KDB to survive a drop tomo.

• Advertisement

Any thoughts?

Thanks. (Edit: team below)

426183.png

Going on current form I'd go Mane over KDB.

I think the time for guessing is GW 1. I think when it comes to WC you go with the facts.

If it was my WC I would not be worried about City cover but if I had to be then it'd be Kun or Jesus.

Having Firmino shouldn't sway your decision. Its still a straight choice between Mane and KDB regardless of other players in your team.

Mane scored about 40 points less than KDB last season but played about 600 less minutes. He was also new to the Liverpool team and his season was interrupted by AFCON and injury. You know he will play every week and in what position.

After 2 games we still don't know what's going on with KDB. Well I don't. He was too deep last season and I fear that there are too many City mids that can play further up than him so he may find a position deeper in midfield again. Barring injury he will be my FT out after the internationals.

ElTel wrote: »
    Short answer for me is Mane. More captainable :p too.
    A return is needed from KDB to survive a drop tomo.

That is exactly what I am afraid of :D

Picking Mane would leave me with 1.1 in the bank to make a move to Kane/Aguero if needed.

Also Mane looked and was dangerous from what I have seen. Can't say the same about KdB, unfortunately.

Makes perfect sense now (wait for KdB to rise twice in next few days due to sudden change of form :D)

Mane it is!

Just attached,

Kane, Firmino and Chicharito, Eriksen and Pogba in midfield supported by Mooy. Carroll for bench. And Alonso :D

Similar enough team. I've gone with Kane & Lukaku aswell as Mikki over Pogba.

But I agree, Mane is the best option of those two

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Similar enough team. I've gone with Kane & Lukaku aswell as Mikki over Pogba.

But I agree, Mane is the best option of those two

Ha, it was a typo - have Lukaku not Kane all the time. Strange typo to make. A sign of Hurrikane? I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I think Mane is the pick of the Liverpool attack,
    Klopp hasn't rested him yet, and although I think he'd be mad to leave him out, I wouldn't put it past him based on Pool's league and European lineups so far(Id expect Mane to play in next 2 tough fixtures in any case)

Do you need Double Man Utd cover, is there any way to get Mane in for Pogba, or would you be much short there? Can Pogba keep returning high scores consistently?

Re: Liverpool Double Up

I try not to double up on attack unless the team will be clear title contenders or the prices are too good to ignore, which is why I wouldn't be going with Firmino(8.5) and Mane (9.5).

18.0 is more than I'd be comfortable tying up in the attack of team that looks like that'll see rotation with the increased games compared to last season, I think the Champions League will affect Liverpool's league form more than the other English clubs, and given how bad they are in defence I can see Klopp wanting his match winning attackers as fresh as possible for the Champions League.

Downgrading Firmino to a cheapie with good fixtures would give you funds to upgrade Pogba to Mane, (and maybe Mooy to someone, if you wanted another premium player from a bigger club?)

I'm going to have the same dilemmas next week with my wildcard as well as trying to sneak Sanchez in my team as well. I'm thinking of going without any Pool player for GW4 (City away) and lining up Mane as my transfer for GW5, but don't know if I'll be that brave and risk potential price changes as well.

I'm planning on going with Silva as my City attacking cover for my Sanchez plans, but Walker being a wing back is another option I'm considering despite how well that turned out for me last week :(

Edit: Any reason for going with Federici who is unlikely to get any gametime over Elliot who has been playing to date?

Good post, Shineon. Many thanks.

As for Federici he was picked as a non playing keeper at the start of the season and I have missed the fact there was a points making replacement. Thanks for that. Fixed now:D

Liverpool double up? Firmino at 8.5 is a good prospect. I really don't want to downgrade crucial positions too much. I normally play 3-4-3 and any downgrade in forward position would make me go 4-4-2 regularly. I hate relying on clean sheets.

I already got rid of Jesus and believe that front three of Lukaku, Firmino and Chicharito is a budget option. Can't go any lower than that.

Firmino had his chances to score better. I hope for more to come.

I could easily upgrade Pogba (who I never considered to be in my team tbh, but can't make the same mistake again and ignore one of top teams player form) with 1.1 in the bank and 7.0 Alonso in my squad. I do want Alonso, though.

I was considering going back to either of Kolasinac or Luiz instead of Alonso leaving me with 2.1 in the bank to upgrade the front a bit, but I want Alonso.

All advice taken in, but will stick to my plan now. Mane vs KdB was my main problem, I have a good feeling about the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Off to a reasonable start. Just outside top 1 million. Decided to wildcard early to catch some rises on players I believe will be in my team for the rest of the season bar injury, eg Alonso, Pogba, Silva, Hegazi, Jones, Forster... was afraid by leaving it I wouldn't be able to squeeze these all into a team with my other players..

My hand was slightly forced by making 3 x transfers last Saturday when I sold Alonso/Benteke/Matic for Hegazi/Chicarito/Pogba - Needless to say I was disappointed to have sold Alonso and I really want him back in my team before he starts creeping up to 7.1/7.2 etc...

I do think an early wildcard is the best strategy. In my first 8 seasons when I did well, coming 682nd in 08/09 being my best, I always wildcard ed between week 2 and 5... recently I have held onto it and taken hits and wildcarded later on closer to Xmas... bad idea IMO especially now with a end wildcard and a free hit..

So here is the team. I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback. My only regret at this point is not having Liverpool coverage... the 0.8 in the bank coukd allow Robertson, but no idea of he is a starter... but really I wanted Salah/Mane but getting them into a team was too difficult as I was unwilling to go without any of Ali/Pogba/Silva/Lukaku/Lacazette and really think Chicarito may do well and be bargain of the season at 7 million.

I think the team is well balanced and all players are starters at the moment.

Should I use the 0.8 to strengthen Mbemba or RLC? Or keep it ITB for possible team surgery after international break?

I wanted Southampton coverage for opening 10 weeks or so as I feel they will rack up good defensive points but Elliot does not cover Forster tough fixtures against the big 6. So wondering if maybe DDG/Cedric is a better combination than Forster/Jones?? I have the money to do this but is it worth 0.5 I woukd then just start DDG in every game and its one less thing think about.

Forster

Hegazi Alonso Jones

Richarlison David Silva Alli Pogba

Chicharito Lacazette Lukaku

Subs Elliot Mbemba Mee RLC

0.8 ITB

Good post, Shineon. Many thanks.

As for Federici he was picked as a non playing keeper at the start of the season and I have missed the fact there was a points making replacement. Thanks for that. Fixed now:D

Liverpool double up? Firmino at 8.5 is a good prospect. I really don't want to downgrade crucial positions too much. I normally play 3-4-3 and any downgrade in forward position would make me go 4-4-2 regularly. I hate relying on clean sheets.

I already got rid of Jesus and believe that front three of Lukaku, Firmino and Chicharito is a budget option. Can't go any lower than that.

Firmino had his chances to score better. I hope for more to come.

I could easily upgrade Pogba (who I never considered to be in my team tbh, but can't make the same mistake again and ignore one of top teams player form) with 1.1 in the bank and 7.0 Alonso in my squad. I do want Alonso, though.

I was considering going back to either of Kolasinac or Luiz instead of Alonso leaving me with 2.1 in the bank to upgrade the front a bit, but I want Alonso.

All advice taken in, but will stick to my plan now. Mane vs KdB was my main problem, I have a good feeling about the rest.

In the question of Mane vs KDB, I would certainly go with Mane and pocket the 0.5 to use later on for potential team surgery.. I feel KDB is over valued at 10million, as he does not have as much license to get foward anymore. That is why I went with David Silva in my wildcard team and pocketed 1.9 million... I had KDB for first 2 weeks and although he is playing well he looks like assisting the assist from his slightly deeper role, which is a disaster for a high priced midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Almost certain I'll wildcard as soon as today's deadline passes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Who would you guys put in for loftus cheek?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Tylerdurex wrote: »

Without knowing who you have in your team, Carroll.

• Advertisement

I'd keep him. None better at 4.5 IMO... unless you are struggling to field 11, then you could go Carroll or if your budget allows you coukd go Can or Matic for 5 million...

Off to a reasonable start. Just outside top 1 million. Decided to wildcard early to catch some rises on players I believe will be in my team for the rest of the season bar injury, eg Alonso, Pogba, Silva, Hegazi, Jones, Forster... was afraid by leaving it I wouldn't be able to squeeze these all into a team with my other players..

So here is the team. I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback. My only regret at this point is not having Liverpool coverage...

Forster

Hegazi Alonso Jones

Richarlison David Silva Alli Pogba

Chicharito Lacazette Lukaku

Subs Elliot Mbemba Mee RLC

0.8 ITB

Seems like many players are going without Liverpool and don't seem to be too worried.

We can't have them all, can we?

I prefer DeGea/Cedric combo, but while DeGea is safe bet (unless he leaving), he won't get many save and bonus point. It is either 6 or 2 every week. Saves me a headache of picking goalkeeper every week.

I also picked Eriksen over Alli.

Seems like many players are going without Liverpool and don't seem to be too worried.

We can't have them all, can we?

I prefer DeGea/Cedric combo, but while DeGea is safe bet (unless he leaving), he won't get many save and bonus point. It is either 6 or 2 every week. Saves me a headache of picking goalkeeper every week.

I also picked Eriksen over Alli.

Cheers Wonski... appreciate that feedback... at the moment I'm thinking of keeping Forster and playing him every week up to around 11, except GW 6 when Elliot will get the nod for away trip to Brighton instead of Forster at home to Man U. Then at GW11 I'll sell Forster for Pickford who then has a favourable run of fixtures..

Based on the feedback so far, I'm strongly thinking of changing Alli to Erikson at a cost of 0.1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

I'd keep him. None better at 4.5 IMO... unless you are struggling to field 11, then you could go Carroll or if your budget allows you coukd go Can or Matic for 5 million...

I know but hes injured, yea was thinking carroll

I know but hes injured, yea was thinking carroll

He is only expected to be out for one match though, so if you have a bench player who will play, I'd bank the transfer... that's just my opinion though.. Carroll could score a hatrick for all I know ;)

Very likely to be T -6 minutes to WC.

Game locked in. No more messing with the team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Activated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Rookie question.
    If you activate the wildcard is there anyway to cancel it before the deadline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Rookie question.

No. It's like a transfer, once activated, that's it.

• Advertisement

Rookie question.

If that was the case, you could wildcard your team and then cancel your wildcard every week...

F1ngers wrote: »
    If that was the case, you could wildcard your team and then cancel your wildcard every week...

Not really what I meant. I'm not expecting the transfers to stick.
    I meant more in terms of price rises/drops.
    Like if you were able to cancel it after a few days and your team reverted.

Got it now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very strong possibility I'll pull the trigger this gameweek. Stephens (to Cedric), Willian, Gabbiadini, Ward-Prowse and De Bruyne need moving on.

Paully D wrote: »
    Very strong possibility I'll pull the trigger this gameweek. Stephens (to Cedric), Willian, Gabbiadini, Ward-Prowse and De Bruyne need moving on.

You think Stephens is more at risk than Yoshi or just thinking long-term when VVD is back?
    No possibility he plays in MF again?

I wouldn't rush out Willian unless its to upgrade. I think he's done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

You think Stephens is more at risk than Yoshi or just thinking long-term when VVD is back?
    No possibility he plays in MF again?

I wouldn't rush out Willian unless its to upgrade. I think he's done well.

Fabregas, Hazard and Pedro all back will stunt Willian's gametime going forward.

Fabregas, Hazard and Pedro all back will stunt Willian's gametime going forward.

Yeah I guess I was thinking Fab would rotate in the DM slots with Kante/Bayaoko

And it would be Hazard Pedro Willian behind Morata.

But then Chelsea play with wingbacks now so Willian probably is at risk. When is Hazard back?
    10.5 isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did a draft wildcard there, and ended up with 10 of the same 15. Seems like it really isn't that needed, even those other 5 could well do with changing. Looks like a couple of points hits over the next few weeks may sort it.

CSF wrote: »
    Did a draft wildcard there, and ended up with 10 of the same 15. Seems like it really isn't that needed, even those other 5 could well do with changing. Looks like a couple of points hits over the next few weeks may sort it.

Current team? Just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Current team? Just curious
    Elliot Speroni
    Hegazi Jones Alexander-Arnold Davies Long
    De Bruyne Pogba Ince Carroll LoftusCheek
    Jesus Lukaku Kane

No prizes for guessing which team's players were driving the initial impulse to hit that button.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Elliot Speroni
    Hegazi Jones Alexander-Arnold Davies Long
    De Bruyne Pogba Ince Carroll LoftusCheek
    Jesus Lukaku Kane

No prizes for guessing which team's players were driving the initial impulse to hit that button.

Wouldnt panic unless RLC is out long term. Big front 5 so even getting Sanchez in could be done in 2 moves. See what happens with Jones and Davies. AAD could also be dropped though.

Advertisement